Bharat Sundar@BVB on Dec 04th,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Bharat Sundar
Violin : L Ramakrishnan
Mrudangam : Delhi Sairam
Kanjira : KV Gopalakrishnan
Ghatam : Chandrasekara Sharma

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Sunday/ 2 hours and 20 mins - 10 to 12 20 noon
Sabha/Hall : BVB, Mylapore
Occasion : As part of Dec 2022 concert series

1. I am told as i came late,I missed sahana varnam

2. ennAlu tiruganu (R,N,S) - mandari - HMB
5 mins neraval in pannaga bharana siva
8 mins swaras

3. parimala ranganatham bhajEham (R) - hameer - MD
8 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return
4. sarasa sAma dhANa (S) - kapinarayani - T
9 mins swaras

5A. vEladutha (R S T) - tOdi - Periasami Thooran
14 mins alapana and 7 mins violin return
11 mins swaras
5B. tani for 13 mins

6. nAtha harE jagannatha - madhuvanti - jayadeva ashtapadi
7A. viruththam - ullAsa nirakula- mohanakalyani + shallAbha - sindhubhairavi + murugA - behag - kandar anabhoothi
7B. tillana- dhIm tanadhIm...... madhavan marugA - behag - LGJ
8. mangalam
Last edited by rajeshnat on 12 Dec 2022, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Bharat Sundar@BVB on Dec 04th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

Carnatic Music is always a combination of how artist take from an immediate respected vidwans and vidushis and how they build it from there with their own ideas. In say 1990 or late 1980s i personally did not realize how vidwans or vidushis build ideas taking organically ideas from immediate respected performers one or halg generation , it is some times a late realization.

For eg TNs has built up from a lot ariyakudish-gnb(one generation above) ideas and then much much later i see so much of Ramnadkrishnan , TRS and even the most unknown giant Tanjore S kalyanaraman(all half generation above TNS)

Bharat Sundar has certainly organically a lot of TNS , a bit of voice in roughness and ideas pouring like TVS . That is one generation above him .Another half generation above he has taken ideas definitely from Sanjay and Suryaprakash. His ideas are very well grounded with tight leash of layam and one has to give the extraordinary young team that brought in so much of team work

I made a mistake of thinking Oh it is sunday i can squeeze my car somewhere near tank or kutcheri road and running to BvB. But no way mylapore on sunday morning does not allow me to park near BVB/Tank. I had to takea u turn and park it near sastri hall. From there podi nadaya walk along kutchery Road from Amrutanjan to BVB made me land in where the varnam just got over . I wish Bharath sang say a kalyani varnam but i was told that i missed sahana varnam, sahana is a lovely varnam that I paid price for not varanamming on time .

As i settled the alapana was a skech nearing my ears as near pantuvarali .Did i spot a bit of amruthavarshini. Oh yaar i thought this should be mandari . Bharath sang well but more than vocal the sharpness Of Ramakrishnan got a more zoned mandari to me. SKR , TNS have sung this number of HMB and one could spot a lot of TNS style with Bharath. The neraval and swaras were well done.

He annouched the ragam as hameer. Did we not have some discussion in the forum between hameerkalyani and hameer , i only registered as hameer kalyani but Bharat announced the ragam as hameer. The krithi is nice and that indeed showcased a bit of slight ruggedness with his voice bit of TVS was indeed there .

A fine fast rather the finest fast number is one and only sarasa sama dhaana . Could spot a lot of Sanjay and Suryaprakash , they both are fine torch bearers of gnb and mmi ,this 3rd generation ssi student gave a fantastic canvas . His voice was trying to reach cathu faster but he did very well with right spacing and rounded pto give a well rounded experience of swara sA ma dhA nA . i have not heard this thooran number of HMB . The todi was well done , definitely a lot of nadaswara pidi in alapana nice ideas could spot a bit of sanjay tns and a definite semmangudi touch points there in intense carnaticness with a steady anchor in each segment to TODI . The krithi by tooran is on Lord Muruga - googled to find s ramanathan has sung- may be he learned this from sowmya, for a change the karpagavalli and Kapalieshwar was forgotten in thiru mayilai. He had to wrap without neraval , understandable as it was boxed 2 hours plus concert.

Madhuvanti is a joy and we all remember the giant sunaada vinodhan S kalyanaraman and it was a double joy as it was madhuavanti and he also imported lot of taans style of SKR . Of late i noticed that Bharath takes a bit more bias to sing more krithis of Lord Muruga and i am not complaining. They say Murugar is thamizh kadavul , lovely viruththam, he sang that could have had more sharpness in behag and sindubhairavi when compared to mohanakalyani. I was thinking if the behag thillana was LGJ or may be it could be his own , bharath is also a good musically bright composer . 7 years back he sang a nice thillana in mohanam i thought if behag was his own ,no it is only LGJ.

The newspaper announced prasadam will be served. Certainly that is great for pulling more crowd , how else you explain 25 percent entry into the hall when tani has just began. Mylapore attention deficit madness was overcome by prasadam As i walked the line was long and i could spot it was not prasadam but a long queue for a mini lunch as i took a small peek into kaana kann Koti vendu. This was a free concert , the karagam mess was welcoming me with a coffee and some more that i ate that i should not share . Thiru Mylai on a sunday morning appears As the same Thiru Mylai of perhaps papansam sivan days.

Some words about accompanist
----------------------------
The biggest game changer for the concert was unquestionably the sharp playing of L Ramakrishnan. He has a hawks eye or rather a hawks finger such clarity . press is so terrific and he took bharath's few not so sharp sangathis to more sharper sangathis- for eg his mandari was more clearer to disambiguate pantuvarali . Also the transitioning in viruththam in behag was not so clear with bharath, Ramakrishnan anchors with such sunaadam. Also when given a heavier return in one and only swara sA mA dhA nA he appeared as though he was the LGJ who played for MMI-SSI-GNB keep it up Ramakrishnan, kudos to every kanyakumari student who is zoning in quality only towards kashmir .

I have not heard or rather not much occcasion to hear Delhi Sairam he is the young Tiruvarur bhaktavatsalam who played for santhanam or mlv . Young is the key word there. He is a leftie and has bountiful valanthai strokes . I was in double mind Ayyo 2 hour plus concert with two upappakkavadhyams will i lose a lot of singing quotient but one has to give it to both KVG and chandrasekara sharma for surgical strikes giving more share only to Sairam. Now i forgot how the tani as i have another 2 concerts which i have to write soon.

Keet it up team of young brigade .You were all doing too well you also took 20 mins extra time that is why i had a madhuvanthi natha harE and a bit more detailed kandar anuboothi thamizh viruththam

GLICSPAWES 2022 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #4 of 12 is done.

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 20 mins.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 12 Dec 2022, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Bharat Sundar
Violin : L Ramakrishnan
Mrudangam : Delhi Sairam
Kanjira : KV Gopalakrishnan
Ghatam : Chandrasekara Sharma

Day/Duration : Sunday/ 2 hours and 20 mins - 10 to 12 20 noon

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=378235#p378235

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Bharath's voice is leaning more rakthi relative to some of his (slightly senior) contemporaries. Good he picked up tODi. He should spearhead more older rakthi ragas.

His sarasasAmadAna with RKSK / Arun Prakash @ naada inbam earlier this year was a relish. I could hear some vintage arudhis from Arun - mid svaram or neraval.

I have not heard bhairavi/koluvai from him. SSI school not in tradition of this kriti? A friend of mine who tracks a lot , said there is no single recording of SSI with koluvai/bhairavi.