Sanjay Subrahmanyan@Karthik Fine Arts (NGS Main Hall) on Dec 11th,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Violin : S Varadarajan
Mrudangam :Neyveli Venkatesh
Kanjira : Anirudh Athreya

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow /Ticketed
Day/Duration : Sunday/ 2 hours and 40 mins - 06 45 to 9 25 pm
Sabha/Hall : Karthik fine arts/ NGS main hall
Occasion : As part of Dec 2022 concert series

1. ee vasudha (CS,N)- sahana - T
neraval in BhAnugama ?? for 4 mins
2. KAnthimathi Karuna(R) - kalyani - Subburama dikshitar
7 mins alapana and 5 mins violin return

3. chandiran oliyiL (R N S)- malayamarutham - Bharathiyar
6 mins neraval in payan ennAmal
7 mins swaras
4. enTA celluvagE - chAlanAttai - pd

5. YArenru raghavanai (R) - yadhukula kambOdhi - AK
7 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return

6A. rtp in shree ranjani for 40 mins
12 mins alapana and 7 mins in violin return
taanam for 11 mins
pallavi is that mahakavi bharathiyar lines may be it is

pallavi line was

Aanum pennum nigar yena kolluvathAl ,
arivil ONgi ivvaiyam thazhaikkumam

swaras in kannada + Huseni + brindavani + Shriranjani
pallavi and swaras for 16 mins
6B.tani for 15 mins

7. Jai Jai Devi - mishra yaman?? - ST
8.kandA guha shanmugha - JOnpuri ?? - Thirumurgaptrupadai ?? (popularized by maharajapuram school)
9.vaazhiya senthamizh and pavamana
Last edited by rajeshnat on 16 Dec 2022, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Sanjay Subrahmanyan@Karthik Fine Arts (NGS Main Hall) on Dec 11th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

Sanjay assisted by extaordinary violin shadow touch of varadu .Venkatesh the lignite power house with an extraordinary energy and drive assisted by remote controlled Anirudh to avoid too much of overlap beats was a very enjoyable experience . This concert ended at 09 25 pm , that is a lot of time to drive to excellence , i wish all artists inclusive of Abhishek a day before should also sing till 09 25 and not wrap sharp at 9 pm

I adore this sahana eevasudha when concerts starts with this popular submainish number. I am assuming only GNB popularized this eevasudha the most . Sanjay like his paramagury GNB gave a lovely sahana start . Unlike all other sahanas this sahana is bit raced and with venkatesh is was right there kalaikattufying concerts. Cittaswaras and the neraval in sahana is a great start. The rare brindamma school krithi of Kantimanthi was well sung in parts but the preceding alapana was a bit of mixed big . Sanjay with his falsetto voice at times is not coming out clean to my ears but varadu is a rock who holds the shruti that sanjay has temporarily forgotten. This falsetto was also there in pallavi neraval and few swara ragamaliga that came later.

malayamArutham was brilliant . The joy of this raga in alapana disambiguating valaci and sowrashtram was well sung. Sanjay has power in his voice and his voice does not have say the sharp shout . So with more power in a latent mode and ideas , mahakavi birthday was celebrated by me with gusto. The entE celluvagE in cHalanattai is a well tuned mrudangam full toss with steady lignite sarvalaghu raw material .Like Late nadabadran, the neyveli raamabadran in sarvalaghu made sanjay cruise well into the zone of intense classicism .

Yadhukula CalmBodhi of late i am loving more and more . That Ragam no one can shout even Nuzrat Ali khan or late full power madurai somu can only caress with care . A certain shade of ariyakudi and also MDR was there with sanjay when Yaarendru Ragavanai was taken up. I adore this krithi Yaarenru , konjam colloqial words is there but hey this is the only carnatic language that i know of . There is drama in both the words of arunachala kavirayar and there is intrinsically a drama raga bhavam inbuilt in yadhukula CALMBODHI .

Great contrast after the sedate YKcalmbodhi into a hurricane world of shreeranjani . Shree ranjani as rtp was well done and i adore every thing about the ragam shreeranjani . Taanam was a fantastic demonstration of musical talent and how sharp varadu plays like a shadow .It is evident that Sanjay has so well rehearsed the pallavi in behind the scene mode with the team . The planning was evident with swara raga maliga where venkatesh was exactly laying out a path. Manodharmam practiced well and having right pakkavadhyam premediated and preplanned thick and thin shades does suit the rtp so well. I am assuming the lines was bharathi but i am not sure.

In the tukkadas the mishra yaman?? of ST in Jai Jai Devi is a good contrast as it is a hindi bhajan was a good cooler . Then the popular santhanam kandaguha (i think his appa vishwanatha iyer has also sung) is dense in words . The reputed school of maharajapuram sings two versions of kanda guha one has a viruththam and the other like a kavadi chindu. Sanjay adopted the later.

Varadarajan during course of song was not so melodious but his returns were superb and the press is so concise and shows some times more shade of raga bhavam for eg in huseni swaras in rtp. The big star is unquestionably venkatesh , he is one of the finest volume controlled mrudangam players of today . With surely the practice and rehearsals being done for every concert ,it is so perfect where he just slowly catches with the shade of increasing or decreasing voice power of vocalist sanjay. Also he clearly instructed when Anirudh has to continue , there were only few layam tandem together plays . patri and venkatesh in last 2 days are like next generation legends like uks or TS , though not highest as them but in the range of touching them . God bless these quality mrudangam players as they add so much classcism.

This art especially for vocalist is tough as fluctualing energy levels are bound to happen, but if the mrudangam comes with flurry of patterns with nice sunaadam of mrudu(mrudu is sruthi to me) that is all it takes towards success .Anirudh tani touchpoints was noticably more in excellence zone than during krithis where venkatesh was almost one man laya kaatu raaja. It is sad such a calliber artist like Lignite venkatesh is not playing for many quality vocalist. Referring papers i see he plays apart from sanjay he is playing in season for sid sriram. For sure sid sriram and sanjay will not have any overlap of critical count of rasikas. Is that the reason where no territory fights haPPen or is it a case of Sid Sriram doling more money - dont know but Venkatesh aPart from these two should Play more? .

All said thank you Abhishek/Sanjay-HNB/Varadu-patri/Venkatesh- ??/Anirudh and also KFA/NGS Main Hall . There is joy in hearing in the NGS Main Hall as it is one large collection of rasikas in one big hall.

GLICSPAWES 2022 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #6 of 12 is done.

Overall an excellent to outstanding concert for 2 hours and 40 mins.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 16 Dec 2022, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Violin : S Varadarajan
Mrudangam :Neyveli Venkatesh
Kanjira : Anirudh Athreya

Day/Duration : Saturday/ 2 hours and 40mins - 06 45 to 9 25 pm

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=378261#p378261

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

entha celuvage magalanu is in Yagapriya raga and not as mentioned

jaya jaya devi jai jagajjanani is in a raga called Vallabhi (attributed to MBK)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

kunthalavarali wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 19:11 entha celuvage magalanu is in Yagapriya raga and not as mentioned

jaya jaya devi jai jagajjanani is in a raga called Vallabhi (attributed to MBK)
4. enTA celluvagE - Yaagapriya - pd
7. Jaya Jaya Devi jai - Vallabhi(ragam attributed to Dr M Balamuralikrishna) - ST

Tx , kuntalavarali . I did know enTa celluvagE briefly i got confused Edaya gatti and put that ragam . That song is sunaada vinodhan SKR special.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

rajeshnat,
entha celuvage has been sung by few others, notable among them is DKP's version in AbhEri. Do you have reference to SKR's version. I have not listened to SKR sing sunAdha vinOdhini.