Amrutha Venkatesh@Parthasarathy Swami Sabha on Dec 23rd, 2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Amrutha Venkatesh
Violin : Rajeev Mukundan
Mrudangam : Patri Satish Kumar
Morsing - Payyanur Govindaprasad
Tambura : her two disciples sowmya and Radhika

Concert Type : Non Nirvana - concert to follow
Day/Duration : Friday /2 hours and 5 mins
Sabha / Hall : Parthasarathy Swami Sabha

01. Varnam- akhila loka nayaka - Kedaram - Amrutha Venkatesh
02. Manasa EtulO (S) - malayamArutham - T
Swaras for 10 mins

03. Sripathi Shree Narayana (R N S) - Mukhari -KN Gopala Pillai
10 mins alapana and ?? Mins violin return
Neraval in Shankha chakra Katha padma chatur Baho for 9 mins
Swaras for 6 mins

04. Raghuvamsa Sudha (CS two rounds) - katanakuthuhalam - Patnam Subramania Iyer
05A. Aravinda LOchananE (R S T) - neetimathi - Ambujam Krishna (Tuned by DR S Ramanathan)
13 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
6 mins swara
05B . Tani for 17 mins
06. Thillana - dheem tanana … kanna manivannA - rathipathipriya - TV Gopalakrishnan

rajeshnat

Re: Amrutha Venkatesh@Parthasarathy Swami Sabha on Dec 23rd, 2022

Post by rajeshnat »

For the last few weeks it is always one Saturday , one Sunday concert as work to sabha commute is not possible in weekdays. Next week I may take in weekdays . went to a morning concert of Amrutha Venkatesh , one of my favourite vidushis of today. I don’t know why in general this is happening ,on the Vidwans fronts most of my favourites are all Thamizh Nadu domicile artist . In female vidushis somehow I like few not out of TN domicile artists a lot more than TN artists. Particularly this young vidushi Amrutha and surely Pantula . Of late I have a bit more drive to hear Amrutha bit more in last few years ,as she is both a traditionalist and an experimenting artist, her experiments are more with rare unknown compositions and/or a dash of swaras.

Amrutha Venkatesh generally keeps always 100 percent only the best accompanists. She usually brings in Arjun Ganesh but now the finest draw Patri came and played for the concert instead of Arjun. The texture of Amrutha voice is thin but the ideas are so creative and there is always charm in her presentation- very very original . Also her confidence to anchor it well with lot of rare numbers with right polish adds a layer of joy for all rasivkas.

The first Kedaram when it was on , I thought well done Amrutha your voice sits exactly for Kedaram Ragam , a Ragam usually handled with a delicate feather touch . My mind was racing to a Tiger varnam or a MD krithi but It was a cute new varnam composition. The number had lines praising Kanchi Varadarajan , suits well to Parthasarathy sabha for sure. I am assuming it is a Sanskrit only for 90 percent it stayed with words like sanskritized Sivan like composition, The crowd energized well with Kedaram . She announced and surprised me for sure that Kedaram varnam is her own composition and it is her first composition. Well done vaggeyakkara Amrutha Venkatesh

Amrutha adopts a certain strategy to sing a lot of longer cycle of Kalpana swaras bit like a mmi or trs school like fashion . Lovely malayamarutham krithi and more than that fantastic swaras towards second half. She sang one big round without fragmentation and took adequate voice rest asking also Rajeev to play the long return. Exceptional ideas and control in malayamArutham was amutha creative confidence at its best.malayamArutham was a kAlai Amrutham.

Mukhari sub main alapana was done well but I found a bit of repetition and Amrutha was going bit circular . She announced the composer name as KN Gopala Pllai, I did not know him at all . Can some one tell me if Gopala Pillai is a living vaggeyakkara . The Mukhari swaras were short but understandable as it is just 2 hours boxed concert. I wish earlier lecdem got over on time but they completed only around 10 so Amrutha could only start at 10 15. That explains why I lost more swaras in mukhari and also the swaras in the later main . Did I spot the Mukhari as a manipravalam song. I think the song started with Sanskrit but towards second half also had malayalam. Some can clarify if I missed other languages or is my aural observation wrong to point it out as manipravalam.

Fast number Raghuvamsa Sudha in katanakuthuhalam was cute . This song is percussion full toss and Patri roared with Govindaprasad. Amrutha main alapana in neeetimathi was very well done . For some minutes I zoned the Ragam towards the nasikabhooshani or rasikapriya cluster but it could be likely because neetimathi has not registered very deep within me . She announced the tunesmith of Ambujam Krishna song was Dr S Ramanathan . Neeetimathi swaras were measured. Krithi diction was well done but swaras did not qualify as main.

The last thillana was dedicated to the composer TV Gopalakrishnan who was seated in the same row as Prince Rama verma(he is not writing any more in our forum). TVG must have had the famous jagathjanani in his mind and he miniaturised that as thillana in the lovely rathipathipriya . Towards the end TVG thillana had words in thamizhand he wrote it with explicit of his Guru's isha devata Lord Gurvayoorappa . Indeed a catchy thillana for both muse and words.

Rajeev Mukundan is sowkhyam with no missteps , He has lovely Sruthi Suddham and Amrutha Rajeev did very well in gelling closely

Duracell Patri
—————————————
HE plays for all types of artists , when I open The HIndu I see Sriranjani , BharathSundar is paired today with Patri. Some times I see he is paired with established seniors like Sudha and all lovely instrumentalist like Kanyakumari etal all if them keep Patri . His play is an exhibition of how to control volume , how to fine-tune for all voices . For the voice of Amrutha he calibrated it so right . I also see this sabha has replaced their speakers and distributed sound with better spread of. speakers . Patri ideas in left right balance is going to be watched by all future Mrudangam youngsters. Patri shows no signs of misogynist tendency.HE does not pair just with few artists and does not purposely enter into exclusive few groups of vocalist which few high quality mrudangist do that . Of late I have seen some videos where Patri's sishyas like Vineet and prashant are all playing exceptionally well. God Bless Patri . Mrudangam is the most important instrument for Carnatic to stay Intensely Carnatic and Duracell Patri gives unlimited power and assortment of strokes.

The cute little morsing by Payyannur govindaprasad was rocking with both right twang and also silent-pass strategy. The tani was a nice continuation of Amrutha neetimathi where the share of more sing was on the more delicate side leaving Patri to sing more with his mrudangam.

GLICSPAWES 2022 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #9 of 12 is done.

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 25 Dec 2022, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Amrutha Venkatesh
Violin : Rajeev Mukundan
Mrudangam : Patri Satish Kumar
Morsing - Payyanur Govindaprasad
Tambura : her two disciples sowmya and Radhika

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=378332#p378332

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajesh,
A wonderful review. You are a star shining in a brilliant star called Amrutha Venkatesh.

God bless.

There are VERY few times I get a feeling, "I wish I were there" and this is one such moment! 🙏