VijaySiva@Indian Fine Arts on Dec 27th, 2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Vijay Siva
Vocal Support: ?don’t know his name?
Violin : RK Shriram Kumar
Mrudangam : Trichy Sankaran
Morsing - KV Gopalakrishnan
Tambura : Two junior vidushis ???

Concert Type : Nirvana Ticketed concert- no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Tuesday /2 hours and 15 mins
Sabha / Hall : Indian Fine Arts/Ethiraj kalyana mantapam

Taking the same previous template of Indian Fine Arts where I reviewed Suryaprakash @Indian Fine Arts , the joy of attending vijaysiva and more importantly the extraordinary super star Trichy Sankaran is always too special .Every concert has a structural angle and a functional angle . The functional angle is always one that interests me a lot. The Raaga alapana , Neraval , Swaras and Taanam and to an extent slokham/viruththam is all musical magnificence where quite likely the musician has to stay very focussed with the present moment . Today there was no fluke element unlike the previous IFA concert as the time was reduced by solid 15 mins.

How was Raaga
————————
R1- Shankarabharanam - Vijay Siva follows a style of not generally going a lot with few meditative touch . He sometimes starts at midpoint of usual alapana trajectory in melakartha ,There were bit alpanish touches of SSI .It was open throated where Shankarabharanam was so richly grounded into a very firm carnaticized sampradaya

R2- Lalitha - Few decades back I once asked the greatest living lalita ragam singer Maharajapuram Ramachandran where did he learn Lalita , he said then hiranmayeem I learnt From DKJ. Few decades later hearing Lalitha ragam with a lot of Slow balanced meditative DKJ school touches was a superb Lalita alapana.

R3- Keeravanii alapana was very classical but it was kind of started as rationed alapana. The krithi was only as impactful as the submain , I felt bit more vistaaram in Lalita would have helped me to enjoy more

How was Neraval
—————————
N1 - Pushpalatika neraval was rare and there Is a distinct aura that he created without the surround of way too overlapping ragas like madhyamavati or manirangu.

N2- Shankarabharanam neraval in bhaguga Meeru song was very well done. He stayed bit longer in those meditative phrases without voice over shooting and Shankarabharanam was fantastic when some one latches right there.

N3- keeravani Neraval in Purandaradasar was perhaps my first experience or may be I have forgotten if I have heard Any one else live singing Keeravani PD krithi with neraval. Keeravani is a raga where you can have open throated vocal honesty and even when you shout because of few intrinsic softening blocks the shout will be smoothened . Keeravani forgives shouting .Very well done by Vijay there for his part but it was rationed.

How was Swaras
—————————
Say Yes to planned kalpana and indeed he sang well for most ragas

S1 - pushpalatika swaras was short and impactful

S2 - Shankarabharanam was like a planned well executed swara pattern very centric on madhyamakalam

S3- Lalitha swaras were most impactful for my ears. Vijay takes time between rounds and as long he has the magical Sankaran he has been covered for lack of lung space . Some patterns like ending with ri ri ga ri ga ga gA were intensely classical .

S4-Keeravani . DKJ has a school usually have a less swara quotient . Some times their submain and main just blurs . Vijay did very well , I would have been happier if he went bit more in swaras for keeravani main.

How was taanam
————————
I wish there was a taanam but there was not one.

How was viruththam/Slokhamm
——————————
In the slokham I felt bit excess words in Sanskrit shlokas where I took help from RKSK when his return was more sharp especially with Ahiri???. The Shanmughapriya start was crisp but the joy of last Abheri ending with a big weighty krithi bhaja rE rE Manasa was a fantastic experience.

Violin- Kanjira
———————————————
RKSK violin had a great press but I feel he could add bit more melody quotient during course of song . His alapana return standalone was significantly better than the course of play during songs

KVG Kanjira could have been adjusted better for his sharpness, but he never robbed with the superstar Sankaran sir.

Trichy Sankaran- Mrudangam
———————————————
How Sankaran fills during the krithis especially how he changes and adds so much of solkattu for every song’s anupallavi is so original and perfect . Sankaran sir tani in first few rounds was not a roaring tiger but the second half was excellent. The joy where he plays fast for a slower krithi sections to give such contrast is so quintessentially Trichy Sankaran Sir. HOw does Sankaran sir have such anticipation is mind boggling. Sankaran sir turned 80 recently. Apart from tani , Sankaran was roaring as nearly few decades back

What I did not like
—————————
1. The volume of Vijay and Sankaran was well adjusted .ON the violin I just found a shade of slight higher volume of volin. The press of RKSK could have had a little noticeably more melody

2. Exactly 2 hours and 15 mins he could have had another 15 mins. The keeravani could have had bit more runway in swaras or neraval . Sankaran Sir would have roared bit more with longer N and S

3. Sound adjustment of Kanjira was bit lacking in sharpness.

rajeshnat

Re: VijaySiva@Indian Fine Arts on Dec 27th, 2022

Post by rajeshnat »

No musician can only sing R , N or S or taanam for sure without the structural foundation of krithis .Krithis indeed have minimal to significant functional rasa . Spread of language and composers speaks for itself. Vijay indeed has brought a right spread of krithis ,vaggeyakkara and language spread .All krithis that oozed had a distinct raga Bhaavam .

Here is the scaffolding of structural krithi

01. Tera teeyaga radha -gowlipantu -T

02. Ikanaina NA(CS1,CS2 ,N,S) - pushpalatika- Tirupathi narayanaswami
3 mins neraval in ???
Swaras for 2 mins

03. Bagu meera gAnu (R N, S) - Shankarabharanam - Veenai kuppaiyer
6 mins alapana and 4 Mins violin return
Neraval in nI lAvaNyamu jUDanu for 4 mins

04. Nannu brOvu lalithE (R S )- Lalitha - SS
7 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return
8 mins swaras

05. Ceta Sri balakrihnam - Dwijavanthi - MD

06A. Jayatu gokula Vaasa (R ,N, S,T) - keeravani - PD
Forgot to note alapana and violin return time
Neraval is Jayathi Shir Bhooloka bhaktha jana paripAla for 6 mins
Swaras for 6 mins
06B.tani for 16 mins

07A. Slokham - KalyanalOLa - Shanmughapriya + Soundarya -Ahiri + devata raama - Abheri
07B. BhajarE rE mAnasa - Abheri - T

08. Ninnai sharan ADainDen - some madhyama Shruthi raga - Bharathiyar
09. Thirruppugazh -?? - AGN
10. Pavamana +

Particularly the Ninnai sharan ADainDen was a goose bump moment when Bharathiyar says Nallathu Theeyathu naamAriyOm where Mahakavi challenges in thamizh with a 200 year old krithi in sanskrit krithi of Ceta Sri Balakrishnam where MD wrote nava tuLasI vana mAlaM nAradAdi muni jAlaM. How CM moved from 18th to 20th century and we are witnessing in 21st century

GLICSPAWES 2022 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #11 of 12 is done.

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 15 mins (07 00 to 9 15 PM).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Vijay Siva
Vocal Support: ?don’t know his name?
Violin : RK Shriram Kumar
Mrudangam : Trichy Sankaran
Morsing - KV Gopalakrishnan
Tambura : Two junior vidushis ???

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=378401#p378401

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat wrote: 30 Dec 2022, 21:53
07B. BhajarE rE mAnasa - Abheri - T

08. Ninnai sharan ADainDen - some madhyama Shruthi raga - Bharathiyar
Bhaja re is by mysore vasudevacharya not T.

Could bharathiyaar krithi be senjurutti or kurinji in madhyama shruti dont know some one can help

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

Could bharathiyaar krithi be senjurutti or kurinji in madhyama shruti dont know some one can help
If possible share the clip of that Bharathiyaar song, I have heard versions usually in Puriya Danashree(a HM janya of Pantuvarali) or carnaric versions in Punnagavarali, Sumanesharanjani etc