The Cleveland Ardhana

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
arasi

The Cleveland Ardhana

Post by arasi »

Have I missed the thread on the Aradhana at Cleveland? I miss being there, but surely, one expects to read about it
at least. We have covered it over the years, taking turns and covering most of the festival. I do hope that those who are present there will share their concert experience with us all :)

Now that there are many youngsters who are performing and others attending their concerts, I do hope we get to hear about the festival from them. We, the older folks have slacked a bit, I am afraid...

arasi

Re: The Cleveland Ardhana

Post by arasi »

Thanks to RSR, he alerted me about the streaming and the link, I logged in and watched the first day of the Aradhana today--here and there during the day and I am very happy about it, needless to say. Nothing like being there, I know. The next best thing is to watch it as it is streamed--at least hear the musicians on the same day! Over the years, quite a number of us felt that way and shared our experience with others without delay.

Most programs are not ticketed, and there is so much of talent to listen to, just as the festival is happening. Old force, spent but still keen, and the younger members please share your experience with us, won't you? :)

Sundara Rajan

Re: The Cleveland Aradhana

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Would some one kindly provide the link to watch live streaming of Cleveland Aradhana ? I did not know that it was being live streamed, until I came across Arasi's post above. I was waiting to hear from "iCarnatic" programmers.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@Sundara Rajan
Respected Sir,
The full schedule is given here.
May be of interest to you.
http://www.aradhana.org/schedule.html
Best Regards
-------------
@arasi
Madam,
Thank you. Very glad that the info was of use to you.
Best Regards
-------------

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sundara Rajan,
I was going to send you a message about it, and here you are! Hope the younger CM fans would also join us in watching, encouraging their peers and what's more, in sharing their listening experience with all...:)

Thanks again, RSR!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yesterday, the festival started aptly with mangala isai, nAdaswaram by Subhan Kasim and Subhan Babu with Vijayakumar Mathavan and Vijay Marimuthu on the tavil.

They started the concert with rAmA nIvEgAni nannu rakshimpEvAru in Narayani. Elaborate svarams which ensued were lilting, and the concert warmed up instantly. Most agreeable was nIvADanE gAna in Saranga which followed. Tavil playing was so pleasing, the volume of the microphones just right. I also heard their playing Tanjavur Sankara Iyer's rAma nAmamE tudi manamE in Desh as I wove in and out of my listening area, doing my chores.

Next, celebrating their guru T.M.Thyagarajan, his disciples Lakshmi Rangarajan and Subhashini Parthasarathy sang. Mother and daughter began with their guru's rAgamAlikA varnam starting with Kalyana vasantham. I am afraid I had to go away and had to miss most of the concert. I Will listen to it again. Jayashankar Balan on the violin and Rajendrabharathi Sridharan and Chandrashekara sharma on percussion.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I have been watching the streaming here and there whenever possible. Some super performances too, and what a pity it is that not even a few viewers are posting on this thread! I feel hesitant to be the only voice here and so have to contain my enthusiasm in writing about them.

Kudos to ranjanimalavi who besides all his valuable contribution to CM doesn't fail to write briefly on Bengaluru concerts even if he is not able to stay until the end of each concert. How about Cleveland? Why don't a few at the venue post even brief reviews? How about the dozens of enthusiastic youngsters, and the middle-aged listeners that I see?? How about some photographs?

The streaming hasn't been regular and I suppose it's because: the effort is and has been a voluntary one all these years, and has been a service born out of love for the music and for the festival by a handful of rasikas. As at first they announced that the early morning streaming would start only at nine because of shortage of volunteers--this is my guess: that's why they can't have all the programs covered. Only the Waatjen Hall ones are being aired, I also read at some point. Meanwhile, kudos to the volunteers for continuing to do their best.

Now, how about the attendees and other viewers? I am waiting...

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Vid.Sriranjani Santhanagopalan
Vid. Sruthy Sarathy
SrI R Sankaranarayanan
SrI Chandrasekhara Sarma Ghatam

Calamela - vaRNam - darbar - A good round of svarams set the stage for the concert. Sruthy Sarathy was impressive in her returns and replied with the artist's ending svarams to the hilt in her returns.

Saveri - Ragam
Muruga Muruga enRal

Electrifying brigas in varuvai.. anbE vadivam Konda - very bhava filled.
Neraval @ Senthil mAnagar vAzhum dEvAdi dEvanE! She utilized the dhIrgaksharas in this phrase to full effect.

Nanda gOpAla - yamunA kalyANi
Nijamarmulanu - umAbharaNam

vAgadISvari - took some dwelling at bahudari, harikAmbodi before striking the vivadi note to expose the rAgam!
Excellent exposition by Sriranjani and equally excellent return by Sruthy Sarathy. Sriranjani exhibited extraordinary range touching upper octave madyamam, and before you knew it pancamam and then on to Shadjam.

I have seen Sruthy excel at few concerts @ Arkay/Pravadini streams. A great talent!

ParamAtmudu veligE - main. svarams to gaganA nIla. A good koRvai with poruttam to round off the exercise.

Sankaranarayanan and CHandrasekhara Sarma played a good tani with triSram naDai for the variation round. Sankaranarayanan's Mridangam was nAdam filled at the tensile pitch. Has the exhuberant playing style of his Guru and that showed in pharans during the trISram!

Sri Sundaram made remarks in praise and reminisced about his musical experiences of the early days of the artist. He also spoke highly of the Indian American origin talent Sruthy Sarathy.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Please provide the web link to listen to the Aradhana. I do have the program schedule, but am unable to access the program. Thank you.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sundara Rajan,
I do hope you get connected soon. As you can guess, one of my off springs helped me with that. I am certain the concerts can be heard for a while after the festival is over so that you can enjoy them.

Shankarank,
Am I happy to see you here! Thanks for chiming in. Yes, Sriranjani, as I always have felt, is a star who will shine even more brightly in the future. I can't but recall, like Sri. Sundaram did, my hearing her as a teen, being charmed by her innate imagination and musical intelligence. She, even then was full of promise, one could gauge--whose daughter is she! The whole family spells out music for me. So, it's a pleasure to listen to them, spend a few moments with them when possible.

She ushered in the concert with Durbar and how the swaras to chalamela immediately drew you in with the ga gA ri sa, ni nI dapa ga gA ri sa! It was liveliness from minute one. Yes, Sruthy Sarathy is making us all proud--an artiste from the USA, talented and dedicated, and she had to respond to a live wire artiste like Sriranjani all through!

sAvEri rAga unfolded beautifully, pleadingly, warmly responded by Sruthi. The way Sriranjani started Thooran's varuvAi, varuvAi with a pause set the tone for the simple but lovely sAhityA. By anupallavi, she had established his lines (whose daughter is she, I thought again). Her plea at parivODu vArAyO?!! Neraval at sendil mA nagar vAzhum decorated MurugA further with her every sangati--swarAvali too!

In nandagOpAla, the yamunA tIra vihArO sangatis had the ripple of the river. In kali kalmasha haraNa, Krishna reveled in the stream of yamunA.

nija marmamulu was a brisk filler.

vAgadISwari rAgA started meditatively, sweetly. It was emphatic, detailed and delicate, joyful and longing at the same time. What ease she had in the upper octaves! Sruthi, often in her to the point response steered Sriranjani in her extensive search for the rasa in the rAga which was beautiful to hear. paramAtmuDu bless both of them! Neraval at gagana nIla tEjO came with sparkling swarAs to follow. A lively tani followed. Good team work.

The philosophic pAsuram continued with rAmanai bhajithAl in mAND and concluded this lovely concert...

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Sundara Rajan wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 19:26 Please provide the web link to listen to the Aradhana. I do have the program schedule, but am unable to access the program. Thank you.
The weblink for ticketed programs are available with payment on the iCarnatic page only. Free link is available only for viewers in India.

meenaakshi

Post by meenaakshi »

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Meenakshi.
Without your pictures, it's like a treat without sweets :)
Now that the mood is set, I do hope there will be other reports from the attendees and remote viewers.

I thought Vishnudev's concert was engaging. Any reports about that?

meenaakshi

Post by meenaakshi »

Just one word... wonderful :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vishnudev's concert was extremely pleasing. It was a substantial one too.

SAranga varNa gave a good start to the concert.

Rahul's violin was appealing (he had also played well in a morning concert, but was obscured somewhat by the sound of the morsing). I was happy to hear Vid.MAE on the mridangam after a long while--an ever-supporting veteran that we know him to be.
Our own Cleveland organizer/khanjira player Balu brought along his warmth to the ensemble.

A welcome Bilahari: sri madurApuri vihAriNi by MD came next. Vishnudev's presentation of it made us hear the words clearly. There was no slurring in his singing. A finely-tailored swara varisai followed. I was surprised to see him after so many years--once as a child hovering over the stage at Parthasarathy Swami Sabha while his father Sankaran Namboothri was performing--

After Bilahari, an emotive nATTaikkuRinji--Swati Thirunal's Pahi jaga janani.

taruNam idamma in Gaulipantu by SS followed suite.

kApi rAgam jived. Vishnudev's inta saukhyamani nE got a very agreeable response from Raghul. And, they had MAE to add shine to their music.
Ahiri was impressive. Periasami Thooran's appealing kriti in behAg, muruganin maRu peyar azhagu was sung with feeling.

As I said before, the concert was engaging...

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

SrI Sandeep Narayan
SrI VVS Murari
Prof Trichy Sankaran
SrI K.V Gopalakrishnan

1. cEraravadEmira - rItigauLa opening.

2. Balahamsa kriti by SrI Gopalakrishna Bharathy

3. Sarasangi rAgam - a good virtuous exposition.

nI kEla dayarAdu = SrI RamasvAmi Sivan - neraval at neratAtA bhuvi mIda nijamukha nIvu kAdA

The take off of the song was not as vervy for a khanDa cApu. My memories of this goes back to Shashank’s maiden MA concert released as a CD with Patri on the Mridangam which set the whole concert on fire. The sangati on dayaradu which wound down as (ga-ma-ga) -pa-pa really made it kuzhaivu and lost the tension on the rhythm. Focus I think should be on plain sounding of the notes with lilt that is in scalar ragas. They are Sundaes with mismatched layers of svaras, where the sound is to be relished more than any sangati.

Now a word about the neraval:

nijamukha is all hrasva and nIVu kAdA is dhIRga in 3 places. Now , the paThantaram has split nijamukha and nIVu kAdA into equal sections per Avarta. However nIvu was sung almost as short syllable. Same common conundrum often in pAthAntarams. In the first part also the artist sings nija fast expands mu to fill the avarta. If ni-ja-mu-ka which is taken with 1 /2 offset ( 1 full syllable in ta-ka-ta-ki-Ta) is sung as takadimi in the space of ta-ki-ta ( caturaSra trisram in the middle 3 spaces of the avarta), nIvu can be taken atItam with proper elongation on the dIRgha, and neraval will be lot more relishing.

Sandeep did good justice to it with what he had and in fact in the final odukkam rounds "nIvu kAda " ended up exactly atItam. So why this neraval form cannot be absorbed into basic pAthantaram during sangati exposition?

A profuse kAnaDa Alapana and equally good reply by VVS Murari.

Suki Yevvaro main

CaturaSra triSra takes in svaraprastAra utilizing nA,,, ,,ma, | ,,,, Sukhi Structure.

Tani by Sri Trichi Sankaran and KVG was a fulfilling one. To match the Svara prastAram, they also played a round of caturaSra triSram. The doyen retains the nAdam at the ripe age.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote: 10 Apr 2023, 07:18 Vishnudev's presentation of it made us hear the words clearly. There was no slurring in his singing. A finely-tailored swara varisai followed. I was surprised to see him after so many years--once as a child hovering over the stage at Parthasarathy Swami Sabha while his father Sankaran Namboothri was performing..

kApi rAgam jived. Vishnudev's inta saukhyamani nE got a very agreeable response

Periasami Thooran's appealing kriti in behAg, muruganin maRu peyar azhagu was sung with feeling.
Vishnudev's father is not shankaran Namboothiri .

I once heard vishnu in SKGS mini , his inta sowkya was steaming with lovely muse.

muruganin maRu peyar Azhagu -behag - swami surajananda

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

meenaakshi wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 22:52 Some pics :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uk8DoFYJ8Pu1bvca7
Thank you @meenaakshi . So nice of you to continue sharing . It is a double joy to see audience . Looks every year new face new age rasikas are inducted to hear more and more endarO mahanubhavurlu captained by the greatest living vidwan Trichy Sankaran Sir.

Hope you also take shorter group photos of artists and organizers and share it in due course

Cleveland Sundaram Sir and all the organizers of the aradhana committee- Kudos to all of you.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shankarank,
Tiruchi Sankaran's playing that day brought tears of joy even to the eyes of those like me who are babes in the woods of percussion. "The doyen retains the nAdam at a ripe age", you say and how true it is! Even laymen (women) could experience the beauty of it. The applause that followed his playing was thunderous, moving. Youngsters to grown ups saluted him that evening. These are the highlights in any music lover's life, no matter the age. KVG was the right match, no doubt. Sandeep's singing and response to the doyen accentuated the experience for us.

Rajesh,
My apologies for the misinformation to you and to the two musicians. Well, this was what I was told by someone in India. Thanks for the correction.
About the composer confusion, well, you can forgive me for that with the excuse--advanced years...:) Of course, now I recall that when MLV sang it at first, I came to know of its being Swami Surjananda's song.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Day 5

Lalgudi SrI GJR Krishnan/ Lalgudi Vijayalakshmi
SrI R Sankaranarayanan
SrI Sunil Kumar Kanjira

HamsavinOdini vaRNam

gOpika vasantam - Short Alapana followed by BAlakrishnam BhAvayAmi - a very bhava filled rendition. Very sweet round of Svarams with all too sensitive accompaniment from Sankaranarayan.

Ennadu jutunu - Kalavati (thought manOranjani when Krishnan played a sketch before announcing) - lilting sangatis flowing mellifluously and a meditative feel to it.
Svaram rounds started off with a vervy tumble down to eduppu with 3 over 4 karvais.

Sankaranarayanan and Sunil were in excellent sound balance today. Sankaranarayanan overnight turned into a soft supporter of instruments. And sensitive Sunil with his sunAda gumukis enchanted the flow of the kriti and svara rounds.

Shanmugapriya rAgam ( Vijayalakshmi started)
AndavanE unai nambinEn

They were in good form today giving Vervy svaram rounds , keeping accompanists in their toes.

PraNatArthihara - SrI Maha VaidyanAthaiyer mELa raga mAlika - first cakram. Very lilting to hear the vivadis in their violin.

kAmbodi - Alapana by Krishnan

Mahita PravRddha - Lalgudi Pancaratnam - triSra triputA - 1 kaLai

A very unique choice well rendered. They did one Avarta svarams in lower kAlam, madyama kAlam and dRta kAlam. Very much on the edge. Did lot of kuraippu svaram sequences at the end. Tani was a challenge thrown at the accompanists and they excelled at it. Sankaranarayan with his profuse pharans in every kOrvai and Sunil with equally profuse responses.

Rama mantrava jepisO - jonpuri. - SrI Purandaradas kriti.

tIRAda viLayATTu piLLai

Tilang tillAnA

Rousing standing ovation applause with oohs and Aahs filled the hall.

Makes me wonder is this group , esp. Sankaranarayanan already a set? :D Sometimes artistes discover each other in Cleveland too! That can happen!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you Shankarank for your detailed review.
I could only hear them from ennaDu jUtunO, one of my favorite songs which I haven't heard in ages. That, and then ANDAvanE unai nambinEn, another favorite followed! PraNatArthi hara added more weight to the already rich list, I think. The the old favorite rAma mantrava japisO, I haven't heard in a while. The sibling SKs gave a sumptuous fare, indeed.

Yes, Sankaranarayanan, a number of years ago played for one of my CD release concerts. I hear him now at Cleveland and think that even to the unlettered in laya, it occurs that his playing has evolved into fine accompanying. Sunil Kumar is a joy to hear on an instrument which I am fond of...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Lovely to see Meenaakshi's pictures. :)

Sankaranarayanan is an excellent, sensitive mridangist. One of my favourites. He is living in Canada.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
So, he is in Canada now? good luck to him in his career...

Yes, we are waiting for more pictures from Meenakshi. Hope she finds time to bring pictures of many artistes as they perform--hope her other chores permit her to come to the hall often and let her listen to more concerts...

meenaakshi

Post by meenaakshi »

I have added more pics :)

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Day 4:
Late review as I heard part of it Saturday. Caught up with live stream after and heard it all today.

Vid Bharat Sundar
Nagai SrI Muralidharan
TiruvArur SrI Vaidyanathan
Sri N . Guruprasad

ADa moDi galadE – cArukEsi
Svaram rounds reminded Sri TVS , with no frills or rhythmic excesses , just saukyam but still vervy.

Vazhi maraitirukkuDe

kalyAni Alapana - sweet short Alapana. He began in upper stAyi.

Amma rAvamma - a detailed neraval at tAmarasa daLa nEtri. Dwelling in tyAgarAjuni mitri. Lots of good odukkam rounds and after reaching crescendo back to nIShadam. And electrifying round of svarams. Last rounds with one Avarta exchanges using ri-ni endings.

Bharat is so comfortable on time scale, beginning passages at will in nowhere spot and arriving at the right spot. With senior accompanists the youngster shone through with his skills.

With that the concert was all fired up!

The 2010 Carnatic Idol brigade is truly setting the Aradhana into a vibrant one. Abhilash today as well ( later about that).

Forget if there was a filler.

tODi Alapana. A very vibrant one where he employed all the range he has. Very exhuberant in execution. His rakti voice came to aid in expressing the best. As he held the upper Sa – he paused to show case some excellent brigas as well as tonality alternately. SrI Muralidharan was prodding him all along with his intricate replies. Muralidharan’s

KArtikEya KAngEya of SrI PApanAsam Sivan was taken for exposition. With his poise, this master structure of a kriti expressed itself in all it’s grandeur.

Svarams were done for mAl maruga shaNmukha guha. A very detailed exchange of svaras with some Math rounds as well. Initial rounds ending with a poruttam pausing before ending with a single note to sAhitya. He terminated svarams at “pa” suddenly , for ending set of rounds without the invocation of sAhitya, after ending on “ma” when joining with the sAhitya line all along. That made it little bit of an abrupt transition! Ending on "ma" and that too pancama/Sadja varjya prayOgams would have made it more relishing.

The tani by Vaidyanathan and Guruprasad enriched the grand main presentation.

Krishna nI bEganE bArO

Viruttam – kunitta puruvamum. Starting on lilting kApi , … mOHana KalyANi.

Feed blanked out for a period. Not sure what was sung here.

Concluded with a Kuntala varaLi tillana. He did a mix of triSram in two kalams for the jati to complete two avartas.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

meenaakshi wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 22:25 I have added more pics :)
@Meenaakshi
Thank you i just saw now. Who is the person in this frame, I am guessing if he is Raja Krishamoorthi , who is US representative from IL. Smaller groups of photos are very nice. Nice to particularly see the mudhra couple being honoured- they deserve that award.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AJ ... authuser=0

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Day 7 – Tuesday April 11, 2023
Vid. Abhilash Giriprasad
Vid. Sushmitha Ravikumar of MA (violin)
ThiruvArUr SrI Vaidyanathan (Mridangam)
SrI N. Sundar (morsing)

rAma nIpai – kEdaram – set a good mood and pace for a concert kickoff.

SuruTTI Alapana
angArakam ASrayAmyaham – rUpakam – vAra kriti of MD

For a slow paced take on this kriti, his pAThantaram of even-ized Avarta count for Pallavi did not sound well. What Kallidaikuricci SrI MahAdEva BhAgavatar is quoted as saying in his guruguha.org interview rings true – that odd number of Avartas of Pallavi is not something to be tampered with. It is not noticeable when Smt. MSS sings, splits vInata… | SRtajana | as two separate Avartas for her somewhat speedy and strident rendition.

For Abhilash’s slow take , vinatASRtajana, taken as one continuous flow will bring a better rhythmic flow even if it is one Avarta less and totals to an Odd number of Avartas. Many musicians like KVN, MDR have handled it this way.

divyaugAti guruguha – guruguha was landed a bit abruptly with a downward force, causing the take on kaTAksha- anugrahapAtram to be somewhat disjointed.

Nice neraval at dIna rakshakam pUjita vaidyanAtha kshEtram. Sushmita’s replies were effective and with full rAga bhavam.

ParAtparA ParamEsvarA – vAcaspati – Sri Papanasam Sivan – a fast filler. Abhilash brings an extra dose of melodic extensions to such evergreen songs. This is his Carnatic Idol pre-final round item as well. A quick round of mEl kala svarams with odukkams.

KarNAtaka dEvagAndhAri ( AbhEri) – a short sketch followed by SlOkam: rAmam lakshmaNa pURvajam (raghuvaram was not sung) sIta patim sundaram – kAkustam (should be kAkutstham – diction! – remembered from Sri Balakrishna Sastrigal discourse where this word was used likely in another context – checked online as well). Slokam was used in place of rAga elaboration. He ended with fast rounds of the rAga sancAra.

Sushmita provided a sweet reply.

Evergreen BhajarE rE mAnasa of Sri Mysore VasudEvacArya and when it reached the summit of rAja kumAram rAmam, it brings that refreshing feeling every time and melts a person. Immediately musical verve follows with pavanajAptam , avanija manOharam executed with a push and pull as it tumbles down nicely. How could he ever compose like this, for musicians to express themselves so profusely? A good tribute of a rendition in the centenary year of the composer.

Abhilash took his time to give melodious rounds of lower kAla svarams with Sushmita replying with matching sweet replies before picking up pace with higher kAlam.

Tani that followed was with short rounds of exchanges, N Sundar pitching in with his ringing Morsing and charming the entire atmosphere. There were rounds when he just executed with just one twang and sustain with his vAk. Some tirmanams were just mouth action only. You could hear tchu-tchu appreciation.

dEva banda namma ranga bandAnO – behAg – Sri Purandaradasa. A familiar song in Dakshina Sampradaya Bhajana paddhati.

A kApi sketched followed up by Parulanna mATa

athatadhAnim vismitOyam – Sindu Bhairavi – rUpakam – Mahajara? Had padnAbha mudra. N.J Nandini rendered last 2021 season Charsur Vodcast.

Concluded

The vibrant performance of the Carnatic Idol 2010 brigade – the third one continues

RSR

Post by RSR »

Is it possible and permissible to record live-streaming , save it to one's drive and then share the link with other rasikas and for posterity? The review will then be more interesting.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Well even the access goes away in a couple of days. It would be a copy right violation to do so as well. Since this is the first after the pandemic break, I would appeal to the organizers to publish in due course in near future, either Audio or Video.

There were literally only about 20 people watching, per youtube live stats. Don't think this would have brought a whole lot of revenue. Not sure how many really bought tickets.

The claps in the halls heard were very thin for even front ranking musicians as the week wore on.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Day 10 - Friday - April 14, 2023

Vid. Kunnakudi M. Balamuralikrishna (Vocal)
Vid. L. Ramakrishnan (violin)
Thanjavur SrI K. Murugaboopathi (mridangam)
Vid. B. Shree Sundarkumar (kanjira)

1. Neranammiti – KAnada vaRNam - aTa tALAM

2. saraNam bhava karuNamayi – tarangam – rUpakam – Hamsa vinOdini - Svarams

3. Nayaki – Alapana
nI bhajana gAna - svarams

4. dEvagandhari
SAlivAtISvaram bhajEham - did SSI sing this often? I don't recall hearing this.

5. VinatAsuta vAhana – jayanta sEnA

6. KalyAni Alapana
EtA vunnAra

. Tremendous neraval with sIta gauri vAkISvariyanu with brahma layam taken very slow - and filled with brighas using Somu like energy. Oru amsamana pakkam with delectable replies by Ramakrishnan.

Murugabhoopathy launched the neraval giving KBMK a breather after what is an intense kriti rendition, with a majestic nadai and with a tone setter sollus like tagutagudhin dhinna (taguta)gugum dhin na. Sundarkumar jumped in as soon as vocal neraval is done to do a pharan filled arudhis launching the reply. So it were a percussionist launched nerval exchanges.

Lower kAla svarams done and ended with fast flowing triSra nadai korvais/mutaippus.
Bhoopathy played nAdam filled slower (madyama) kala sollus with occasional exquisite pharans.

Higher kala svarams similarly were peppered with higher kala trISra finishings.

Tani was another grand exercise. Bhoopathy played triSra nadai and miSra nadai in one go. Sundarkumar took the triSram with aplomb and sustained what one could call a long catuSram flow within trISra nadai. He went great guns , with all kinds of dRta kAla sollus sustaining the overlay for countless Avartas.

Mohra was made with talangu, palangu type sollus all with cut mAtras here, add some there, kind of formation (ingE veTTi , angE oTTi) . Reminded me of an Anecdote. Sri Upendran would prepare such unintelligible Mohras / korvais to give some challenge to resident Kanjira artists when heading to some important city in a neighbouring state, as talangu, palangu filled sollus would be difficult to fill with Kanjira.

Bhoopathy sir, enna uLLE Azham pArtthu vanduTTOma :lol: . Kanjira Man still tried to handle it the best he can.

7. InvanAro padam reminded of Sri TNS rendition of the same heard eons ago in a CD. KBMK rendered it in a very deliberate using his laya skills, extending it at his will.

8. DarbAri Kanada – tiLLana

Concluded
Last edited by shankarank on 16 Apr 2023, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

From Shankarank's post about Day 7 – Tuesday April 11, 2023, Vid. Abhilash Giriprasad's concert
"Evergreen BhajarE rE mAnasa of Sri Mysore VasudEvacArya and when it reached the summit of rAja kumAram rAmam, it brings that refreshing feeling every time and melts a person. Immediately musical verve follows with pavanajAptam , avanija manOharam executed with a push and pull as it tumbles down nicely. How could he ever compose like this, for musicians to express themselves so profusely? A good tribute of a rendition in the centenary year of the composer."

- Mysore Vasudevachar's time was from 1865 to 1961. So, this comment would not be correct " A good tribute of a rendition in the centenary year of the composer".
Perhaps, centenary year of the composition itself? I am not sure about that, but just wondering.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Thanks for the correction. I see lot of concerts happening in his tribute. My Mistake to think this is his centenary.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Raji Gopalakrishnan – Cleveland 2023
Day 8 - Wednesday April 12, 2023
Smt. Raji Gopalakrishnan (Vocal)
Vid. Sahana Vasudevan of MA (violin)
Vid. K.H. Vineeth (mridangam)
Vid. N. Sundar (morsing)

Sriranjani Alapana – Short Sketch

SrI MahagaNapathE - svarams

Arabhi Alapana
Kriti of SrI Pallavi SEShaiyer - svarams

VagadISvari – Alapana
ParamAtmuDu veligE – svarams.

nATTakurinji – RTP - khanDa tripuTa - 2 kaLai.

I will try to remember the best I can – but it is possible that I made up some of it based on remembered words and a derived structure to fit. It was definitely sundu viral (little finger) sama eDuppu (on the finger start offset) and khaNDa tripuTa tALam – 2 kaLAi. I did not note the arudhi kArvai and I think it is seven.
kaNNanai manivANNanai ninai | (7) kuzhalisai mAyanai ||, kamala

While doing svarams she did to the tantalizing start of 1/4 offset ( in a 36 count syllable speed setting – for a 9 major beat tALA, 2 KaLai). That start for kamala is definite. The link went out of access and I heard it while driving to and from work.
Forget the rAga malika rAgams , but she rendered them and did mahuda svaram to walk back the sequence before
concluding.

parvai onRE podumE – SuruTTI

Concluded

The concert was a delightful and delectable. A very pleasing voice that executes daTTu at will during Alapanas. Though not in her prime form of early 2000s - she still executed all the transitions with full felicity. That’s where the manOdharmam emanates. A very disciplined approach to sangati development yet not regimented, but with creativity , poise and verve in Kriti rendition – a definite hallmark of Sri TMT.

She started with a Sriranjani Sri MahaganapatE with a verve filled svaram rounds for the khaNDa cApu. The Arabhi would have been great mood setter for the morning and I heard it during my lunch break at work. Such a nice get up to the concert. The vAgadiSvari in contrast brought in the meditative spirit.

She then went onto continue a well planned concert sequence to include a delectable RTP.

Sahana Vasudevan , a replacement violinist played a very pleasing and supportive accompaniment and played for the Pallavi with much confidence. Her Arabhi reply was delightful. So is her reply to tAnams and Pallavi svaram rounds.

KH Vineeth , whom I have heard with Sriranjani @ Arkay , played a rich and expert level accompaniment with good nAdam.

N Sundar with his sunaada morsing added much charm to yet another concert.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Kalyanapuram S Aravind Cleveland 2023

Vid. Kalyanapuram S. Aravind (Vocal)
Vid. R. Raghul (violin)
Vid. N.C. Bharadwaj (mridangam)
Vid. G. Chandrasekara Sharma (ghatam)

I remember only 3 items

Kulabirudunu - darbAr - rUpakam - SrI tyAgarAja
vIkshEham kadA - Ahiri - miSra cApu - SrIman narAyaNa tIrthar taragam.
(usually started at anu Pallavi in Dakshina sampradaya bhajana - Aravind also did the same)

https://www.karnatik.com/c24282.shtml - here the sAhityam is given as sarasa muraLi gIta for the last caraNam. However in BhajanOtsava Manjari (with SrI GOpAlakrishna bhAgavatar's picture on it) , I remember it as saraLa muraLi gIta - and that has good prAsam as well. Aravind sang the former (sarasa). Would have been nice if he sings mRgamata lalita tilaka as well - just one more caraNam will make it a fuller Ahiri experience. May be different caraNam every concert, with the last one always included for VAggEya mudra. I have listened to an earlier instance also in another concert by Aravind , and this ends too soon , and feels too short.

https://stotram.lalitaalaalitah.com/201 ... murti.html - provides that other sAhitya pAtham I mentioned above.

SankarAbharaNam main
eduTa nilicitE
neraval at nA taramA telisi

Aravind brought the brand TNS experience to the fore. His SankarAbharaNam AlApana was remarkable for the use of kArvais and rich brighas of TNS staple, a forced viralaDi technique of nAgasvara.

He carried the same spirit to neraval when the dIrgha in nA was elongated enough with mix of kaRvai and brighas to create a tumbling effect in tarama telisi to the arudhi.

svaraprastara included mathematical reduction or kuraippu svarams.

TNS's music is infectious to me, so I could not, but wonder, if this is some return of TNS, M Chandrasekaran (MC) and Karaikudi Mani/UKS blend on the mridangam and THV on the Ghatam. TNS fans would immediately recall the KGS concert with Karaikudi Mani.

And when Aravind provided that jIvan in the delayed jAru downward to pancamam, a signature piDi of TNS , the day was made for me.

Raghul played with the characteristic azhuttam and emoting that MC’s bhAni provides.

NCB and Chandrasekar Sharma played a rich accompaniment complimenting the grandeur and majesty of Aravind’s inherited style. And their tani was rich, youthful, and brilliant.

ramamatya

Post by ramamatya »

Too many people (read artists) on stage than sitting (read audience) in chairs (only first row made to fill, lots of empty chairs in the hall)

artist supply > audience - no change in that despite nri enthu and participation from '80s - too bad

bane of carnatic ecosystem

RSR

Post by RSR »

@ramamatya
Sir,
When the event is streamed, I am afraid, thin attendance , is but natural. It may be that even the audience is comprised of youngsters and their parents, relatives and friends ,of artistes who are scheduled to perform there. They may belong to some group performance program as well.
--
Googling for Cleveland music festival- April-2023, I found some video clips in youtube , one of them , an introductory speech by Sri.Sundaram ,if I am not mistaken.-- The videos have been created by some one in the audience -- and uploaded It was a full concert by a youngster.
================================
some random clips
-----------------
2023 04 08 Cleveland Thyagaraja Festival Pancharathna Krithis
https://youtu.be/ROANt7F4UX0
--------------------
2023 04 10 Cleveland Thyagaraja Festival Divyadhwani program
Cleveland Thyagaraja Festival
Rama Bhakthi Sudha

A thematic musical presentation by students of Chithra Vaidyanathan Dhivyadhawani School of Music, AZ
https://youtu.be/5sJ6aEWTQxw
---------------------------------------------------

@ShankaranK
Good work !---though beyond me. Sooner or later, the sponsors will place the concerts free in youtube and your review will be useful to serious learners.
Why should n't you have your own free blog and index them properly?
The posts here are not even numbered now and one by one , some good features are vanishing.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hUcLZtCH9V - I was given this playlist in response to a query. And I suppose it is not due to some authorization that is lingering in my browser that I am able to play. I see lots of views. So I guess it is public.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankarank wrote: 16 Apr 2023, 23:41 I will try to remember the best I can – but it is possible that I made up some of it based on remembered words and a derived structure to fit. It was definitely sundu viral (little finger) sama eDuppu (on the finger start offset) and khaNDa tripuTa tALam – 2 kaLAi. I did not note the arudhi kArvai and I think it is seven.
kaNNanai manivANNanai ninai | (7) kuzhalisai mAyanai ||, kamala
I verified back in the recording link for the Pallavi by Smt. Raji Gopalakrishnan:

https://youtu.be/sefiLv9akMI?list=PLdvD ... 9V&t=15726

The Pallavi went actually like this:

In 9 *2 (kalai) * 4 = 72 mAtra notation.

||,,kaN, ,,Na, nai,,, ,,ma, du,ra, ,,,, ku,zha, li,sai, ,,ma, ,,ya, | nai,,, ,,,, ,,sa, da,,, ,,ni, nai,,, ,,ka, ma,la, || ,,

kArvai is 5. eDuppu is (1/4th offset - 2 Matras) I remade the Pallavi switching words and introducing new ones based on some remembered parts. :D

eDuppu and kArvai both were mistakes in my original post. :oops:
Last edited by shankarank on 21 Apr 2023, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

RSR

Post by RSR »

iCarnatic themselves have uploaded the entire program- to youtube - at the link provided by ShankaranK.--about 12 hours for each day !

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

ramamatya wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 10:09 Too many people (read artists) on stage than sitting (read audience) in chairs (only first row made to fill, lots of empty chairs in the hall)

artist supply > audience - no change in that despite nri enthu and participation from '80s - too bad

bane of carnatic ecosystem
There seem to have been a good response through the first week till Sunday or so - going by what is apparent in the video streams.

This is usually the case. Second week will be, those with time on their hands, retirees who have bond to the festival, local Cleveland enthusiasts and if any parents who planned a full sabbatical for their aspiring child during the Spring break holidays in the State of Ohio and other nearby states. Not all states have the Spring break week close to Easter Sunday holiday.

Now many of the older generation that came in early 2000(s) and remained through the second week are no longer with us. And we are passing through a timespan when the uprooted generation born in 70(s) and 80(s) is getting "aged in" where there is "life after forty philosophical" kind of interest possibility. But then 70(s) - 80(s) were a tough time for all things traditional/classical which had an impact on young minds then.

So there will be a retro-telescopic phase of challenges now for sometime.

Also the pandemic break and other happenings did not help matters as well. It will all renew in a few years, as people want to get out more.

Now the artists themselves are jet setting to fulfill concert invitations in other venues, and those helping kids with Arangetrams. Arangetrams - music and dance are filling the bookings of all venues in cities well in advance and the sabha eco system in the US cannot get good venues, as they cannot plan a year and half earlier , since Visas of the artistes cannot be confirmed that early.

arasi

Post by arasi »

shankarank,
Those of us who have followed the Cleveland Aradhana for many years are mighty thankful to you for all the time you have spent in watching and then in sharing your valuable musical experience with us. You were on a roll, and I did not want to distract you by my asides. I have mentioned this in your post about Suryaprakash's concert in the Concert Reviews section.

As for the festival itself, your analysis about its history is noteworthy. Yes, it all boils down to this: a tradition was established shores away from its birthplace and only a great love for it and determination and hard work on the part of the enthusiasts made it continue. Yes, as you state, as years pass, the dynamics change too.

In the end though, we are familiar with the content of it: musicians from India performing and also teaching our kids (so that the arts continue through the younger generations), it does make us marvel at times how far all that has taken root here. See the kids moving about and occupying the stage with familiarity and ease--with their skills, clear pronunciation of the lyrics --their playing for senior artistes with confidence and merit! What a long way we have come--from dreams of the early days to a recurring reality now!

I do hope you will continue this weekend to cover more concerts. I am waiting for your write up about Vidwan Seshachary's concert among others. NSG's too! And of the youngsters who hold a lot of promise. Yes, they were impressive.

Now that many rasikas are watching with the link posted here, we are hoping for more reviews from them as well.
Of course, kudos to the volunteer force who brought us the video stream for an amazing number of hours:)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

meenaakshi wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 22:25 I have added more pics :)
Looks you really reorganized kept it very nice with smaller groups towards the end of the cleveland season. Thank you @meenaakshi , only today i saw all the pictures . Cleveland recognizes lots of musicians to be in a group apart from lot of fresh bloos NRI kids . Kudos to the organizing team. Best wishes for 2024