Post by shogunv »

here's the deal
m 21
non tamil
like rock music.
(yeps anglicized,u can call me tht)
so is it possible?
how and where do u strt!
i cannot diff between raga,alaap,sur,taal etc!
i dig Hindustani, cause i understand the lyrics.
Does carnatic music even have lyrics?
is der a newbies section on this site.
well the purpose 4 me wanting 2 learn is...well i wanna knw wats it abt...can't neglect ur own culture can u?

shogunv

Post by shogunv »

me dont live in chennai either!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shogun,
Want to know? Yes, carnatic music DOES have lyrics, and boy, in several other languages besides tamizh, and guess what, at times, you can hear a hindi composition tooo, in a CM concert.. Just go to our Sahitya Section (sahitya means lyrics) and there is a sea out there of songs for one to explore. Whatever your background in music, an open mind for listening and learning always helps. Of course, we cannot but agree about your not wanting to neglect your culture...:)
Last edited by arasi on 05 Dec 2007, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

here is another deal
m50
indian
hate rockmusic
(yeps indianized. U can call me that)
Now , how and where did I start
I can differentiate between quite a few raags , alaaps
but never a taal.
I dig hindusthani though
I don’t understand the lyrics most of the time.
Yes Carnatic Music does have lyrics
But you cannot decipher the lyrics most of the time, that’s for sure
And when you decipher , you are left wondering
why the words are so mutilated or cut in the wrong places.

No.there is no newbies section that is on the site that will fit you.

Well if you just wanna know about it , keep hitting the rapidshare links, download and listen..

And culture Eh !
Someone once defined it as everything that we do which the monkeys don’t.
So relax and Enjoy .
And feel Welcome.
:)

btw we have a ninja too ......should reassure you a bit
Last edited by coolkarni on 05 Dec 2007, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.

rrao13

Post by rrao13 »

Dear Shogunv: Welcome to the multi-splendored world of divinity named Karnatik Music. I can tell you from my personal experience about how I started appreciating Karnatik music. I just picked one raaga to start (Hamsadhwani); listened to a few songs and then moved on to other raagas that instinctively appeal to me. For example Hamir Kalyani, Bangala,Neelambari.... Some of these songs strike a chord in you and you can keep expanding your repertoire of listening over a period of time. Go to sites like musicindiaonline or humaa or sangetthapriya.org to listen or download or both. If your mother tongue is Telugu then it is a bit easier because you can begin to appreciate the sahitya as well. Alternately, pick songs in a language that you are comfortable.

There are many rasikas on this message board who will be eager to help you. After all, the need of the hour is to get you youngsters into the folds of this type of music.

Depending on where you live, you should get hold of a teacher. That will really accelerate your learning.

Enjoy and God Bless.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ninja? dulhA to be is going to be in kASi yAtrA gear!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Kji, nicely said.

(shogunv, Your Sminglish is very hard to read. )

arunk

Post by arunk »

shogun,

If you are south indian, i would suggest starting with film songs in your language that are classical based (which for south indian would be mostly carnatic, but I guess not always). Start with songs whose melody is very attractive and instantly appealing, find out the raga (you can ask in the forum), and then listen to carnatic songs in those ragas.

This is of course assuming you like film songs :).

If not (or even otherwise), you can start with certain ragas that have (a greater chance of) instant appeal to cm unitiated. just based on their melodic nature

Here are some. I am not sure all will have universal appeal - these are obviously from my perspective:
Ritigowlai
Kanada
Saranga and Hamir Kalyani (will sound similar initially)
Abheri, Suddha Dhanyasi (may sound similar initially)
Anandabhairavi
Kharaharapriya
Sahana
Natakurinji
mohanam

( These are not "super-serious" ragas. If you like melancholy, then a different list can be prepared :) )

So you can go to say musicindiaonline and listen to some songs in these ragas. Find out which ones you like most and start with those. If you get into it, you will find that you are willing to discover more and more new ragas, and also appreciate the variety in the moods they offer (just like HM).

Arun

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
Very nicely said too--the thing about sminglish (or minglish?). Anyway, while suggestions come pouring in, hope the new member hasn't left us for Coffee Day or Starbucks to meet with his buddies...:)
Last edited by arasi on 05 Dec 2007, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

I'm already on the yatrai :)

shogunv - believe me, the incredible variety and interpretations of carnatic is truly something to be experienced. Coolji is right - just download and keep listening....

.....and there will be light!!!!

Cheers, Ninja

shogunv

Post by shogunv »

wow, this is a really great community! I'll try to be as british as i can with my english if some of you aren't ok with "sminglish" (words like "m","dig"...i suppose thats what u meant...btw wat exactly is sminglish?)

ok wen i said i was 21, i meant is it too late 2 strt.
i live in mumbai and mothertounge is marathi (kulkarni sounds marathi too).
so do u thnk its possible 2 learn by listening 2 music?(but how do i knw wch raag(a) i am listening to?)
and how many raaga's are there to strt with in the 1st place? (is der a definite no.)
and even if i find some place where they teach karnatic in mumbai (m sure der are lots of those) will the teachers der agree 2 teach me.
(like dey might have a mindset on the age bar ...no students above the age of 8 or smthing like tht)

those are jst a few preliminary q's i have

m serious guys! (sry 4 sminglish)

thanks 4 the replies!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

By sminglish, I meant 'SMS style abbreviated English, mainly when every other word is abbreviated' which is not easy to read and understand. Anyway this is just a side issue.

Best wishes on your path to the discovery of carnatic music.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

shogunv wrote:wow, this is a really great community! I'll try to be as british as i can with my english if some of you aren't ok with "sminglish" (words like "m","dig"...i suppose thats what u meant...btw wat exactly is sminglish?)

ok wen i said i was 21, i meant is it too late 2 strt.
i live in mumbai and mothertounge is marathi (kulkarni sounds marathi too).
so do u thnk its possible 2 learn by listening 2 music?(but how do i knw wch raag(a) i am listening to?)
and how many raaga's are there to strt with in the 1st place? (is der a definite no.)
and even if i find some place where they teach karnatic in mumbai (m sure der are lots of those) will the teachers der agree 2 teach me.
(like dey might have a mindset on the age bar ...no students above the age of 8 or smthing like tht)

those are jst a few preliminary q's i have

m serious guys! (sry 4 sminglish)

thanks 4 the replies!
Your seriousness is appreciated

Your age 21 should pose no problem at all. I know of people in 30's and 40's starting music (that includes me). Your enthusiasm is what is going to count. You will have the advantage that you are a student of your own volition and interest. And that should make learning faster than the kids who may have been forced to learn by their parents. If you are in Bombay, Shanmukhananda Hall is a good place to start your search for teachers. You may have to decide whether you want to learn vocal or one of the instruments - violin, veena, flute ...

You can get a bit of theory if you go to Mohan's Carnatic Corner

http://www.carnaticcorner.com/library.html

But the best way to learn is by listening. You have the added advantage in today's internet world where the songs are all tagged and have the details in them. But it will be useful if you can get hold of a friend who knows a little bit of carnatic music.

Here is a sampler of carnatic music fo beginners

http://www.karnatik.com/sampler.shtml

To listen to music that will take half a century to completely listen go to

http://www.sangeethapriya.org

If you have exhausted all the music, go to Coolji, he will keep you busy this whole century. :)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

:) :d :) :d
Last edited by coolkarni on 07 Dec 2007, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

shogunv

Post by shogunv »

Ok thank u ppl!
i'll try shanmukhanand hall as soon as my vacations begin, m in middle of my exams ryt now!
i'll chk those links out!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good luck with your exams. Sangeet can wait...
Last edited by arasi on 07 Dec 2007, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.