Srutibhedam-

Rāga related discussions
balusatya

Post by balusatya »

*This season I have just heard TNS rendering Karaharapriya-Thodi today @MA.In fact this has been his speciality everytime.
*I also heard Vijalakshmy Subramaniam venturing briefly Thodi- Mohanam in BVB.
*Was this done in any instument ?
* When difficult pallavis are demonstrated/taught/performed why this unique exercise is being handled very sparingly?
*Can someone throw light on this practice in yesteryears?I was told it was done by MLV.
*when I asked a young, top performer about this I was told "My guru does not prefer".
* I understand for those who are adept in this domain are self taught .
* Why not we generate some thought on this ?

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

AFAIK, some artistes consider it disrespect to cm to perform sruthibedham. Sruthibedham however requires enormous concentration and skill as one can easily go off scale. There are very few artistes today, who go about it in a sincere manner- Shri TNS, Shri OST and Smt. Sudha come to mind immediately.
It is even tougher to perform the same on instruments as the shift cannot be demonstrated fluidly. Also, SBs, like raga alapanais, are not taught.
And IIRC, sruthibhedams have been discussed in detail before (with details about some unique pairs like kiravani-ahiri), though I am unable to locate the thread right now.
And yes...Shri TNS was awesome today :D.
-bhaktha
Last edited by bhaktha on 25 Dec 2007, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Here is atleast one thread where sruthibedam was discussed, there may be others: http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=633

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Thanks for giving reference to the earlier thread on the subject.By the way what is the difference between the two terms Graha and Swara?

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

bhaktha wrote:And yes...Shri TNS was awesome today :D.
-bhaktha
He did a hamsAnandi-hindOLam too in the RTP...

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

For those interested ,it looks like one more Srutibhedam is in store for us on 30th in Pethatchi school 10 am.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Today's update.OST-Kalyani-S.Dhanyasi&Hindolam.followed by the voilinist(name excuse)in MA.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Today's update-Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam-
Mohanam-Madhyamavathy,S,Saveri, Hindolam,S.Dhanyasi.