Varnaroopini

Rāga related discussions
Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Recently I heard the song, "Sri Paadam sevika" in the raga "Varnaroopini", composed by Ganapatiraman and sung melodiously by Nithyasree.I was simply held spellbound with the beauty of the lyrics and Nithyasri's very melodious and spiritual rendering of this song.
I would appreciate if anyone can let me know the aarohanam/avarohanam of this rare raga and from which mela it is the janya?
Also would appreciate someone throwing more light on the composer Ganapatiraman who gave us this great spiritual song in praise of The Lord of Tirupati.
Tomorrow I shall post my own effort at singing this song.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Welcome!
Looking forward! Post the lyrics too if you can!

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

I would very much like to hear you...
:D

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

The beautiful rendering of this item by Nithyasree Mahadevan (described by Sivaraman) is available @ MIO. Lyrics are below.

Ragam Varnaroopini
Talam Adi
Composer Ganapathy Raman

Virutham
Udhayaadhi naazhigayil un suprabhaatam ullamaara ketkirene
Urangidumpodum un thaamarai paadangaL ullathil serkirene
shatha koti suriya prakasham un
thirumuga sannidhiyil paarkirene
sharanaagathi yendru annamayyan pol un thaazhgallil veezhgirene...

Pallavi
Shri paadham sevikka shri ezhumalai vandu
Gopalan pugazh paduvom
Nam kurai theerndu kondaaduvom

Anupallavi
Maapaavam sheidaalum mannikum maharaajan
Malai meedu padiyeruvom - avan
Malarpaadam dinam kaanuvom
Oru kayyil thiruchangu orukayyil shrichakram
Ulagaalum namnaayakan - nam
uyir kaakum yezhil maayavan

Charanam
Urugaada manam yedu irukaalai maravaadu
adhikaalai paarayanam - avan
thirunaamam narayanam
naaL dorum kalyanam theeraada santhosham
namnaadan malaimeedile - avan
tharugindra nalvaazhvile
paadaadikesham shri bhagavaanai paarungal
Balaji yena paadungal - udan
parandodum nam paavangal.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Could somebody post the meaning please :D

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The scale is SRGPDS/SDPGRS and is a janya of mELA 17 (sUryakAnta).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Could somebody post the meaning please :D
Kiran,
The viruththam is in 'shen thamizh', and that is definitely not my forte! The song that follows is in colloquial tamizh, so I will try my hand at it.

Pallavi
Shri paadham = the feet of lakshmI/vishNU
sevikka = to worship
shri ezhumalai = tirupatI
vandu = (let us) come to
Gopalan = vishNu
pugazh = praises
paduvom = let us sing
Nam = our
kurai = wants
theerndu = removed/addressed
kondaaduvom = let us celebrate

Running Meaning: Let us come to tirupatI to worship at the feet of vishNU by singing his praises, and in the process let us celebrate the removal of our wants.

Anupallavi
Maapaavam = grievous sins
sheidaalum = even if we (have) committed
mannikum = forgiving
maharaajan = great emperor
malai = mountain
meedu = on top of
paDiyeruvOm = let us come singing â€"
avan = his
malarpaadam = (flower-like) feet
dinam = daily
kaaNuvOm = let us behold
oru = one
kayyil = (in) hand
thiruchangu = the holy conch
orukayyil = in (the other) hand
shrichakram = the srI chakram
ulagaaLum = (the one) who rules the world
namnaayakan = our leader â€"
nam = our
uyir = life
kaakum = protector (of)
ezhil = full of grace
maayavan = (creator) of illusion

Running Meaning: Let us sing the praises of that great Emperor, who will forgive even grievous sins that we commit. Let us behold him daily: his flower-like feet, bearing the conch and the srI chakram in his hands. The grace of this master magician who rules the world is what protects our lives.

Charanam
urugaada = without melting
manam = heart/mind/soul
yEdu = is there?
irukaalai = (His) two feet
maravaadu = can not be forgotten
adhikaalai = dawn
paaraayaNam = offering prayers-
avan = his
thirunaamam = holy name
narayanam = NOT SURE
naaL = day
dorum = all through
kalyanam = marriage/auspicious
theeraada = never ending
santhosham = happiness/bliss
nam = our
naadan = lord
malaimeedile = atop the mountain â€"
avan = he/him
tharugindra = giving
nalvaazhvile = wonderful life
paadaadikesham = NOT SURE
shri bhagavaanai = very fortunate individual
paarungal = see (it as)
Balaji yena paadungal = sing the name ‘bAlAjI’-
udan = immediately
parandODum = (will) fly away/disappear
nam = our
paavangal = sins

Running Meaning:
Is there anyone out there who’s heart will not melt, or forget his (asylum-granting) feet while chanting his name daily at dawn? Just taking his Holy name will make our entire day auspicious, and give us never-ending bliss. Our lord who resides atop the mountain (of tirupatI) offers us a wonderful and fulfilling life. You can appreciate/confirm your good fortune as you observe your sins disappear even as you sing bAlAjI’s name.

There are two words/word clusters that I could not translate. If CML/DRS or VK can help, it will be much appreciated.
Ravi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

BTW, any corrections to the translation are also welcome.
I have to say that I was not moved by the poetic merit of the composition. No offence to anyone, but I found it rather pedestrian. However, I hope that Sivaraman's rendition will elevate the composition!
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Thamizh/Shankar
Now awaiting the rendering by Sivaraman! By the by Thamizh, as a vocalist it will be nice to hear your rendering too!

The raagam sounds like 'mohanam' born of 'sUryakaantham'. I am really curious how it will sound! Are there any other kritis on the net we can listen to?

Shankar! you have done a good job! The word is 'naaraayaNaM' meaning (Lord NaaraayaNa) that rhymes with the 'paaraayaNaM' in the previous line! By the by I totally agree with your last comment!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

(Thinking loud!)
The raagam looks like 'revagupti' except for the use of chatushruti dhaivatam in place of the shuddha dhaivatam. Hence I have the vague feeling it will almost sound like revagupti!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

BTW, any corrections to the translation are also welcome.
I have to say that I was not moved by the poetic merit of the composition. No offence to anyone, but I found it rather pedestrian. However, I hope that Sivaraman's rendition will elevate the composition!
Ravi
paDiyeruvOm= climb the steps on Tirupati hills
Kurai= problems?

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Sankar/CML/Suji Ram
Thank you very much for the translation. As CMl said, humming the notes gives me a feel of some revagupthi in the raaga. Never heard this raaga before, so looking forward to Sujiraam`s rendition of it....

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

[quote=""Suji Ram""]
paDiyeruvOm= climb the steps on Tirupati hills
Kurai= problems?
[/quote]
SujiRam,
paDiyEruvOm: you are on the money!

'kurai', I think, translates best to kamI in hindi...IMO, when you feel something is wanting with your life, you call it 'kurai', and when you have a problem, it would be 'kali'. I may be splitting hairs here!

Ravi

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Sankar/CML/Suji Ram
Thank you very much for the translation. As CMl said, humming the notes gives me a feel of some revagupthi in the raaga. Never heard this raaga before, so looking forward to Sujiraam`s rendition of it....
It is Mr. Sivaraman who said will post his rendition... not me :)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

[quote=""rshankar""][quote=""Suji Ram""]

'kurai', I think, translates best to kamI in hindi...IMO, when you feel something is wanting with your life, you call it 'kurai', and when you have a problem, it would be 'kali'. I may be splitting hairs here!

Ravi
[/quote][/quote]

Are kurai and korai different words? I use korai to mean kamI.
Having lived in hyd/blore my tamil is often flawed.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Are kurai and korai different words? I use korai to mean kamI.
Having lived in hyd/blore my tamil is often flawed.
Lord knows I am not at all conversant with the niceties and subtleties of the tamizh language, but I think korai is a corruption of kurai.
Ravi

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

CML-will think about it.

Ravi-many of Ganapathy Raman's compositions follow suit...lyrics and tunes being like those of a devotional song.....it's his unique...err....style? :twisted:

Suji & Ravi-
Kurai could technically mean flaws or sins...(well that's how i use it sometimes...maybe even incorrectly lol!) The term "pavangal" was used in the anupallavi and charanam also to mean sins....so it would not be illogical if the pallavi also contained that meaning too, but with the other word "kurai". I've combined my meaning with yours below.

Meaning:
As we come to the top of the mountain of Thirupathi to worship at the feet of Perumaal, let us sing praises in his honour, let us celebrate the removal of our sins.

Let us climb the mountain of Thirupathi, singing the praises of that great Emperor, who will forgive even the grievous sins that we commit - let us behold his flower-like feet daily. Holding the holy conch in one hand and the srI chakram in his other hand, he is our leader, who rules the world - this master magician full of grace, is the protector of our lives.

Is there anyone, who’s heart will not melt, or forget his (asylum-granting) feet while chanting his name daily at dawn? Just taking his Holy name "Naarayanam" will make our entire day auspicious, and give us never-ending bliss. Our lord who resides atop the mountain (of tirupatI) offers us a wonderful and fulfilling life. You can appreciate/confirm your good fortune as you observe your sins disappear even as you sing bAlAjI’s name.

As you can see...there is a consistent set of recurring ideas (theme) in this song-a bit like a devotional song.
The mountain of Thirupathi,
The removal of "our" sins
The singing of his praises
Worshiping at his feet

Another interesting point about this song, is it's logical structure, almost like an essay - the introduction and conclusion being the pallavi, while the body paragraphs are the anupallavi and charanam, repeating and elaborating the points raised in the introduction.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Thanks everyone for detailed meaning. Its helps understanding the song better. Sivaraman looking forward to your rendition(Apologies Suji Ram :( )

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

I am sorry I could not honour the promise of posting my rendering of the krithi due to the sad demise of my father in law and the last rites for 13 days which kept me pre-occupied.
I shall post the rendering in a couple of days time.
.Please bear with me.
Love you all,
Sivaraman.

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Shankar,
I grant you your right to consider the composition pedestrian.But, then it is but your subjective opinion.As for as I am concerned, being a tamilian and an ardent devotee of the Lord of Tirupati, I found Sri Ganapatiraman's composition very lyrical and spiritual in it's exhaustive description of the Divine Grace,Compassion and powers of pardoning all our mortal sins and blessing us with his infinite mercy and benevolence that Balaji has for all his true devotees.The composition really made my soul come alive with devotional tears of joy ,peace of mind and supreme happiness.
My singing attempt, which I will upload shortly, may not do justice to the composition honouring the Divinity of the Lord of Tirupati.
Amen.

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Meaning of the Virutham

Udayadi nazhigaiyil = At the stroke of dawn
Un suprapadham = your morning invocation
Ulamara ketkireney = I am listening with all my heart and soul;
Urangidum pozhudum = Even while asleep
Un thamarai padhangal = your lotus feet
En ullathil serkireney = I am worshipping in my heart;
Sathakodi suryaprakasam = the bright luminicence of a hundred crore Suns
Un thirumugha sannidiyil kangireney = I perceive in your sanctum sanctorum;
Sarnagathy ena annamayyan pola = in total surrender like Annamacharya
Un thalgalil veezhgireney = I prostrate at your merciful feet.

Running meaning:

I listen, at the stroke of dawn, to your morning invocation with all my heart and soul and am moved to worship your lotus feet even in my sleep.
I perceive the powerful radiance of a hundred crore Suns in your Sanctum Sanctorum
And I prostrate myself at your merciful feet in Total Surrender like Annamacharya.

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Here is my humble singing effort.May not be very good, since I am just an ordinary rasika, giving voice to the song on our Lord of Tirupati, which moved my heart and spirit.
Please pardon any errors and lapses in my rendering.
I would also appreciate if any of our other friends in this forum can post a better rendition of this song in a more professional way.

http://rapidshare.de/files/18066043/Siv ... n.mp3.html

kartik

Post by kartik »

LJi,
Are Rasikaranjini and Varnaroopini the same?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sorry I was out of town for a couple of days.
Rasikaranjani is under mELA 16: SRGPS/SDPGRS

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sivaraman: I just listened to your rendition. Congratulations!! Very well done.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

very well done Sivarman! Congratulations!
The influence of BMK is quite evident in your rendering! The bhaavam is quite good too! well done! Do more such fine pieces.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

vasanthakokilam

and you are in for a treat or a shock&awe ;)

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Sivaraman
Its a very good rendition. Congratulations....

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Bravo Mr. Sivaraman!!
There is so much joy in sharing CM when you can with others.

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

cmlover/vk,kiransurya/sujiram,
Thank you all for your appreciation.I think with such closely bonded friends, united in our love for CM, we have set up a nice and happy cyber community.I look forward to my other friends in this august forum posting their more erudite singing efforts to enable us to participate in the joy of sharing our musical efforts without bothering about any copyright problems.

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

cmlover/vk,
I was blowm over with the experiment of adding violin to my singing and giving a new dimension to such amateur efforts and prove what amazing results can be achieved by using technology to enhance the singing .
Thank you so much for your efforts.

Revathi

Post by Revathi »

Hi Sivaraman, really good one ! Keep up the good work!

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

I've already received a full-on email questioning why I have not responded or 'contributed' further on this thread. So, naturally, I am going to avoid being vilified again [online] within 2 days lol.

I apologise for the recording quality (but tihs is the best I can get, atm).
y rendition of the virutham (only):

http://rapidshare.de/files/18393569/_Vi ... n.mp3.html

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

I liked Sivaraman's rendition (flaws/mistakes aside). Just from listening, it was obvious that he takes the rendition to heart and this is perhaps the most noteworthy aspect of his rendition. I wasn't quite satisfied with his treatment of the virutham though.

I uploaded a rendition of the virutham for this reason, even with it's extremely poor sound quality. Despite this, and despite the fact it isn't a perfect rendition, it gives a few more ideas on how it could be rendered.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear Nishant!

Thanks for the rendition! Congratulations! Very nice to hear your rendition of the viruttam. You have a young vibrant voice. First there is plenty of scope for improvement.

Here is my pilot attempt ;)

http://rapidshare.de/files/18417674/Uda ... 1.mp3.html

Sivaraman had attempted it in varnaroopini and has done a good (great!) job. But then you have traversed hamsanandi to pUrvikalyaaNi and hence I was puzzled! Then I noticed that 17+36 = 53. But then what is pratimadhyamam doing here since varnaroopini is madhyama varjyam? Perhaps you should redesignate the raga of the viruttam.

In view of your talents you should blend with our 'musical' community and participate (unobtrusively) sharing your expertise and adding to our joy of 'listening' to good CM!

sukhI bhava|(May you be comfortable)
diShTyEha tavOtpAta samIraNO na bAdhatE|| (Fortunately the Tempest you started has blown over this Forum, though it is now blowing over at sangItapriya site).

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

CML-good work, you picked it up right away. Yes I am confused why pUrvikalyAni creeped in mind, on more than one occasion! hamsAnandhi did not surprise me though (have rendered it in this rAgA before).
Despite this far-from-perfect rendition, the purpose of it was to show how a short virutham like this one, can and should be elaborated further....

Thank you for the attempt and comments.

vasanthakokilam

Vocalist: Thanks for fulfilling CML's request to upload your attempt a the viruttam. Keep it up. I agree with CML that you have a vibrant voice.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Thanks VK!

CML - I just read the Sangeethapriya forum after reading your final lines. I read param's post - so if he's reading: wasn't me, nor was my id used or hacked into again (twice is more than enough!).

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Now that vocalist has obliged us with his rendering I was hoping for a
deluge of requests and was quite disappointed ;) Of course I am no garland-maker with an exotic touch ;) Again I decided to leave the aro/avaro of varnaroopini untouched but only slightly morphed the rishbham and gandhaaram.(R1G3 = R2G2 mathematically balanced) ;) In other words I did not even travel all the way to 53! ;)
tata kim|
judge it for yourself
http://rapidshare.de/files/18542912/udayAthi.mp3.html

If I sounded the notes of AIR right at the beginning then I have indeed succeeded ;) But then if Ganapathy Raman decides to sue me for a raga violation then just remind him that my son is a famous trial Lawyer and is ready with my defence ;)

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Congrats on the effort CML. I had a quick listen. I'm not sure I liked the change entirely. It was different and unique. Some spots sounded refreshing. Other spots I was a little bored or put-off by. Of course, this is only my opinion on first glance and might change. Will have a proper listen soon.

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

CML,
Sabaash!
That's a very refreshing and innovative rendering with lot of bhavam and melody.Hope to hear more from you,as a very knowledgeable practitioner of CM.

vasanthakokilam

CML, I just listened to your version. It slipped thru the cracks somehow till now. Very nice. Sivaranjani shines through.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks!
I encourage our friends to give a try in other ragas. The lyrics are very easy on the tongue and capable of good bhaavam as sivaraman suggests!

DrMrinalini

Post by DrMrinalini »

There is a bhajan with the words- VanamAli rAdha ramaNa giridhAri govinda
NIlamEghasundara narayaNa kes'ava
Bhakta hridaya mandhAra bhAnukoTi sundara
Nanda nanda ............narayaNa kes'ava
I think it is set to varna roopini-right?