Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

If only he had had the purity of heart, he wouldn't have denied SK to deserving musicians (especially MDR).

thamizhisai_paithiyam

Post by thamizhisai_paithiyam »

uh oh. i seem to have unwittingly upset some political sensibilities. let me categorically say that i am also a huge fan of MDR's music.

mohan

Post by mohan »

thamizhisai_paithiyam wrote:listening to a part of an AIR concert. after a melting alapanai in saveri, he is singing tanam, but accompanied by the mridangam! the effect is brilliant, but something i've never heard before, i.e. tanam with rhythmic accompaniment.
Tanam with mrudagam is the practice originally followed at the Trivandrum palace during the Navaratri festival. Semmangudi had a long association with the palace.

The practice is nowadays adopted by many musicians quite frequently in concerts.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Tanam with mridangam is usually the practise with vocalists from Kerala, whether at Navarathri Mandapam or elsewhere.

TVG says Chembai was the one to start that practise, but I dont know how far its true. But what I know is Chembai always had mridangam accompaniment for tanams.

Let me recount a related anecdote here...

In a concert where PMI accompanies Chembai, Chembai starts a tanam in Thodi. PMI wanted to tune his mridangam to perfection before playing for the tanam. One has to appreciate the sheer genius that PMI was. What he did was - he used the stone to tap his mridangam at the right times which created a rhythmic effect for Chembai's tanam singing. So while actually tuning his mridangam while Chembai was singing tanam, he gave the effect of playing for the tanam. It has to be heard to be fully appreciated ;)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I am just connecting 3 popular rAgamAlikA slOkhams rendered and immortalized by SSI(tx to meena and ksrimech),

1.shringAram kshitinandini - SrI bhOdEndrA sarasvati of kAnci kAmakOTi piTam in SrIrAma karnAmRtam
2.maulav gangA - appiah dikshitar
3.Kara charana krutham vaak kayajam karmajam vaa - AdishankarA

Usually SSI ends 1 with sA pashyAt in jOnpuri and 2 and 3 with a nAdanAmakriya. SSI , to me even his tukkadAs have so much music than an average CM artist as of today.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I have just listened to a momumental concert by SSI. VVS and TKM as accompaniment.

Chetasri - Dwijavanthi -> The chowka kala swarams is stunning.
Harihara Purtram - Vasantha -> Main piece
Ravehimagiri - Thodi - Outstanding rendetion which can be used a bench mark IMO. TKM's accompaniment is brilliant.
RTP In Shankarabaranam, Chakkagani Bhajana ... -> SSI and VVS sparkle.

I just couldn't help posting after listening to the concert today. If it's not available in Sangeethapriya, let me know and I will post it there.

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

I would love to listen to that that combo...please post

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

ohh.. the maarubalka neraval (2nd or 3rd piece in the concert, IIRC) is enough for me!! couldnt go past it...

btw, its available on sangeethapriya... i think its MA, 1959

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

the MA 1959 is a saveri RTP...only harihara putram is common in that concert and the one mahesh referred to

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

I think, that concert starts with Janaki Ramana..Raave has got a female voice support. It was debated somewhere else whose voice was that ? You refer to that concert Mahesh ?

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Yes, the concert starts with Janaki Ramana .. and no I don't think it's the MA 1959 concert. And this also features Marubalka....the thani for Harihara putram is cut unfortunately.

vinayo

Post by vinayo »

Is SSI's 1956 Music Academy concert available in Sangeethapriya pl?

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

vinayo. give me the songs list. Let me trace and give u the link or upload....

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

The SSi VVS TKM concert was held at Bharatiya Fine Arts Chembur Bombay in the year 62 0r63. Bye Ragjay

vinayo

Post by vinayo »

grsastrigal,
The following posting by thamizhisai_paithiyam (#36) prompted me to make the request:
"i am listening to the 1956 music academy concert. it seems like his voice is a light baritone and completely lacking in the nasality that i've come to identify with his voice. sounds more like a GNB in his prime! wouldn't have identified the voice as his, except for the incredible creativity in the kalpana swarams and the lovely alapanas. is this something that others have observed too?"
I do not have the listing. thamizhisai_paithiyam may perhaps help
Regards

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

I can't seem to find the 1956 concert, then again I have pleny of SSI concerts that are not marked. So if anyone can give a list of songs, I can see whether I have it.

vinayo

Post by vinayo »

Thanks all.
I found the concert in my own collections. Just for information the list is as follows:
01 Deve Deva - Mayamalavagowla
02 Nee Bhajanagana - Nayaki
03 Kamaakshi Amba - Bairavi
04 Gnanamu Sagarada - Poorvikalyani
05 Lekana - Asaaveri
06 Marubalka - Sriranjani
07 Amba Neelayadhakshi - Neelambari
08 Chakkaniraja - Karaharapriya
09 Seethamma - Vasantha
10 Ragam Thanam Pallavi - Kalyani
11 Vaddhaninne - Kaapi
12 Idathu Padam - Kamas
13 Kannanai Pani - Sahnamukhapriya

Music Academy, 1956
SSI with TNK, VR and TSVI

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Got it :) Any particular piece you are interested in?

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

One Mahanubhavulu has uploaded some rare kritis rendered by SSI. Here is the link >>>

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~ksj/Semm ... sa%20Iyer/

Some interesting points.

1) Listen to the swaram in "Tapatra" in Kaa va va.
2) Thought, I could get the composer for most..Doubt on 14-16 & 18-20. Pl clarify..
3) Parukkulle & Jayathi Jayathi- Nice to hear this from SSI.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Desperately looking for a recording of SSI's 1967 Music Academy Concert accompanied by LGJ and Trichy Sankaran. Starts with mErusamAna, contains kshInamai (and I think RTP in sAveri). Willing to pay handsome price :-).

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

No it does not have a RTP in Saveri, though the main piece is Thulasi jagath in Saveri. The Hameer Kalyani is a plesant suprise :) Forum rules prevent me from uploading the full concert, email me please.
Last edited by MaheshS on 24 Jun 2007, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

This must be the list.
LGJ -Trichy Sankaran
1) Meru samaana
2) Maa kelara
3) Manamu leda-Hamir kalyani
4) Ksheenamai
5) Tayaleni-Nayaki
6) Evarikai-Devamanohari
7) Tulasi-saveri
8) Emani
9) Vinaradhana
10) slokam
11) Mangalam

I hope there is no Income tax officers in this forum to read Uday_Shankar's post ;)
Last edited by grsastrigal on 24 Jun 2007, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

A biographical sketch of the bhiShmAcArya from past issue of Ananya Abhivyakti, music journal from Bangalore. Very nicely written.
Ananya Abhivyakti wrote:ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿ ಆರ್. ಶ್ರೀನಿವಾಸಯ್ಯರ್ (1908-2003)- ಸಹನಾ ರಾಮಚಂದ್ರ
ವ್ಯಕ್ತಿ-ವಿಷಯ- 2

ಪ್ರೀತಿಯ ಮಕ್ಕಳೇ,
ಕಳೆದ ಸಂಚಿಕೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಅಂ.ಅಸ್.ಸುಬ್ಬಲಕ್ಷ್ಮಿ ಅವರ ಪರಿಚಯವಾಯಿತು ಅಲ್ಲವೇ? ಇಂದಿನ ಸಂಚಿಕೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಅಂ.ಎಸ್-ರವರ ಗುರುಗಳ ಪರಿಚಯವನ್ನು ಮಾಡಿಕೊಳ್ಳೋಣವೇ?

ಅವರು ಬೇರಾರೂ ಅಲ್ಲ, ಮೊದಲ ನೋಟದಲ್ಲೇ ಗುರುವೆಂದು ಗುರುತಿಸಿ "ಗುರು ಬ್ರಹ್ಮ ಗುರು ವಿಷ್ಣು ಗುರುದೇವೋ ಮಹೇಶ್ವರಃ" ಅಂದು ಪಠಿಸಬಹುದಾದಂತಹ ಗಂಭೀರ ಚಹರೆ, ಶ್ರೇಷ್ಠ ವ್ಯಕ್ತಿತ್ವ, ಆರು ದಶಕಗಳಿಗೂ ಮೀರಿ ಸಂಗೀತ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೇವೆ ಸಲ್ಲಿಸಿದ "ಭೀಷ್ಮಾಚಾರ್ಯ" ಡಾ||ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿ ಆರ್. ಶ್ರೀನಿವಾಸಯ್ಯರ್. ಇವರ ಸಹಪಾಠಿಗಳು ಇವರನ್ನು "ಸೀನು" ಎಂದು ಕರೆಯುವುದು. ಮಕ್ಕಳಾದ ನಾವು ಮಾತ್ರ ಗೌರವದಿಂದ ‘ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿ ಮಾಮ’ ಎಂದು ಕರೆಯೋಣವೇ?

ಭಜನ್ ಸಂಪ್ರದಾಯದ ಬ್ರಾಹ್ಮಣಕುಟುಂಬದಲ್ಲಿ ಧರ್ಮಾಂಬಾಳ್ ಹಾಗೂ ರಾಧಾಕೃಷ್ಣಯ್ಯರ್-ರವರ ತೃತೀಯ ಪುತ್ರರಾಗಿ ೧೯೦೮ ರಲ್ಲಿ ತಂಜಾವೂರಿನ ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿ ಗ್ರಾಮದಲ್ಲಿ ಜನಿಸಿದರು. ಸೋದರಮಾವ ತಿರಕ್ಕೋಡಿಕ್ಕಾವಲ್ ಕೃಷ್ಣಯ್ಯರ್, ದೊಡ್ಡಪ್ಪ ಕುಪ್ಪುಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಭಾಗವತರ್. ಎಲ್ಲರೂ ವಂಶಪಾರಂಪರ್ಯವಾಗಿ ಸಂಗೀತ ಶ್ರೀಮಂತಿಕೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಬೆಳೆದರು. ಇಂತಹವರ ಮಧ್ಯೆ ಎಳೆಯ ವಯಸ್ಸಿನ ಶ್ರೀನಿವಾಸ ಬೆಳೆದದ್ದು. ಕೇಳಬೇಕೇ? ಸುತ್ತಮುತ್ತಲಿನ ಸಂಗೀತ ಪರಿಸರ ಪ್ರೀತಿಯ ಅಲೆಗಳಾಗಿ ಸುತ್ತುವರಿಯಿತು. ಶಾಲೆಗೆ ಸೇರಿಸಿದರೂ ಸಂಗೀತದ ಬಗ್ಗೆಯೇ ಜ್ಞಾನ. ವರವಾಗಿ ದಕ್ಕಿದ ಕಲೆಯನ್ನು ಮನಸ್ಸಿನಲ್ಲೇ ಗೌರವಿಸತೊಡಗಿದರು. ಸಂಗೀತದ ಕೇಳ್ಮೆ ಎಳೆಯ ವಯಸ್ಸಿನಲ್ಲೇ ನರನಾಡಿಗಳನ್ನು ಸಂಚರಿಸತೊಡಗಿದವು. ಕೇಳಿದ ಸಂಗೀತವನ್ನು ಮರುಕ್ಷಣವೇ ಮನೆಗೆ ಬಂದು ಚಾಚೂತಪ್ಪದೆ ಒಪ್ಪಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದ ಶ್ರೀನಿವಾಸನ ಆಸಕ್ತಿಯನ್ನು ಗಮನಿಸಿದ ತಂದೆ, ಎಂಟನೇ ವಯಸ್ಸಿನಲ್ಲೇ ನಾರಾಯಣಸ್ವಾಮಿ ಅಯ್ಯರ್-ರವರಿಂದ ಸಂಗೀತ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಪ್ರಾರಂಭಿಸಿಯೇ ಬಿಟ್ಟರು. ಗೋಟುವಾದ್ಯ ಪ್ರವೀಣ ಸಖರಾಮರಾಯರಲ್ಲೂ ನಂತರ ಉಮಯಾಳಪುರಂ ಸ್ವಾಮಿನಾಥಯ್ಯರ್-ರವರಲ್ಲೂ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ ಪಡೆದರು. ಚಿಕ್ಕವಯಸ್ಸಿನಲ್ಲೇ ಹಿರಿಯರ ಸಂಗೀತ ಕಛೇರಿಗಳನು ಕೇಳಿ ಗ್ರಹಿಸುವುದು, ಅದನ್ನೇ ಅಭ್ಯಾಸದಲ್ಲಿ ತೊಡಗಿಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳುವುದು, ಸಂಗೀತ ಶಿಬಿರಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಪಾಲ್ಗೊಳ್ಳುವುದು ಪ್ರಾರಂಭವಾಯಿತು. ದೇವಸ್ಥಾನಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ನುಡಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದ ನಾಗಸ್ವರ ರಾಗಾಲಾಪನೆ ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿಯವರ ಮನಸ್ಸನ್ನು ಆವರಿಸಿತಲ್ಲದೇ ನಂತರದ ವರ್ಷಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಅವರ ಕಛೇರಿಯ ಮೇಲೆ ಪ್ರಭಾವ ಬೀರಿದ್ದೂ ಅಹ ಸತ್ಯ.

1924 ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿಯವರ ಜೀವನದಲ್ಲಿ ಕಪ್ಪುವರ್ಷವೆಂದೇ ಹೇಳಬೇಕು. ಏಕೆಂದರೆ ಪ್ರಕೃತಿ ಸಹಜವಾಗಿ ಗಂಟಲು ಒಡೆಯಿತು. ಮುಂದೆ ಹಾಡುತ್ತೇನೋ ಇಲ್ಲವೋ ಎಂಬ ಆತಂಕ ಮೂಡಿತು. ಆದರೆ ಧೃತಿಗೆಡಲಿಲ್ಲ. ಸಂಗೀತ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಅರ್ಧದಾರಿ ನಡೆದು ಬಂದಿದ್ದೇನೆ, ಹಿಂತಿರುಗಿ ನೋಡುವ ಪ್ರಮೇಯವೇ ಇಲ್ಲ. ಹಾಡುಗಾರಿಕೆಯಲ್ಲೇ ಮುಂದುವರೆಯುವೆ ಎಂಬ ದೃಢ ಸಂಕಲ್ಪ ಕೈಗೊಂಡರು. ಗಂಟಲನ್ನು ಹದಕ್ಕೆ ತರಲು ಮಾಡಿದ ಸಾಹಸ-ತ್ಯಾಗ ಅಷ್ಟಿಷ್ಟಲ್ಲ. ಇಂತಹ ಪರಿಸ್ಥಿತಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಮಹಾರಾಜಪುರಂ ವಿಶ್ವನಾಥಯ್ಯರ್ ಇವರಿಗೆ ನೆರವಿಗೆ ಬಂದು ಶಿಷ್ಯರನ್ನಾಗಿ ಸ್ವೀಕರಿಸಿದರು. ಹತಾಶರಾದ ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿಯವರಿಗೆ ಉತ್ತೇಜನ ನೀಡಿ ನೋವನ್ನು ಮರೆಯಲು ಸಹಕರಿಸಿದರು. ಮಹಾರಾಜಪುರಂರವರು ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿಯವರನ್ನು ಮಗನಿಗಿಂತ ಹೆಚ್ಚಾಗಿ ನೋಡಿಕೊಂಡರು. ಕಠಿಣ ಶಿಕ್ಷಣ, ಅವರ ಸಂಗಡ ಕಚೇರಿಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಹಾಡಲು ಅವಕಾಶ, ಆತ್ಮ ವಿಶ್ವಾಸ ಬೆಳೆಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲು ಪೂರಕವಾದ ವಾತಾವರಣ ನಿರ್ಮಿಸಿಕೊಟ್ಟರು. ಮನೆಮನೆಯಲ್ಲೂ ಕಛೇರಿ ಮಾಡಿಸಿದರು (Chamber cONCERT). 1926 ರಲ್ಲಿ ಕುಂಭಕೋಣಂನಲ್ಲಿ ಪ್ರಥಮ ಸಭಾ ಕಛೇರಿ ಮಾಡಲು ಅವಕಾಶ ಕಲ್ಪಿಸಿಕೊಟ್ಟರು. ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿ ಅತ್ಯುತ್ತಮವಾಗಿ ಹಾಡಿದರು. ಅಲ್ಲಿಂದ ಮುಂದೆ ಎಲ್ಲೆಲ್ಲೂ ಜಯಭೇರಿ. 1931 ರಲ್ಲಿ ಅವರ ಪ್ರಥಮ ಡಿಸ್ಕ್ ಬಿಡುಗಡೆಯಾಯಿತು. 1932ರ ವೇಳೆಗೆ ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿ ಒಬ್ಬ ವಿದ್ವತ್ಪೂರ್ಣ ಗಾಯಕರಾಗಿ ಮನ್ನಣೆ ಪಡೆದರು.

ಒಳ್ಳೆಯ ಮನೋಧರ್ಮ ಸಂಗೀತ, ಅಪರೂಪದ ದೀರ್ಘಾಲಾಪನೆ, ಸರ್ವಲಘು ಸ್ವರಪ್ರಸ್ತಾರ, ಬೇರೆಯವರಿಗಿಂತ ಭಿನ್ನ, ಅವರ ಗಾಯನದ ಸ್ವಾರಸ್ಯ- ಜನರ ಮನಸ್ಸನು ಆಕರ್ಷಿಸಿತು. ತ್ಯಾಗರಾಜರ ‘ಮಾರುಬಲ್ಕ’ ಶ್ಯಾಮಾಶಾಸ್ತ್ರಿಗಳ ಸ್ವರಜತಿ ‘ಅಂಬ ಕಾಮಾಕ್ಷಿ’ ಪುರಂದರ ದಾಸರ ದೇವರನಾಮಗಳು, ನಾರಾಯಣ ತೀರ್ಥರ ರಚನೆಗಳು, ಜಯದೇವ ಅಷ್ಟಪದಿ, ಸದಾಶಿವ ಬ್ರಹ್ಮೇಂದ್ರರ ರಚನೆಗಳನ್ನು ಹಾಡಿ ರಂಜಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದರು. ಅವರ ಸಂಗೀತ ಮನೋರಂಜನೆ ನೀಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದುದಷ್ಟೇ ಅಲ್ಲದೆ ಆತ್ಮವಿಕಾಸಗೊಳಿಸುತ್ತಿತ್ತು. 1939 ರಲ್ಲಿ ತಿರುವಾಂಕೂರಿನ ಆಸ್ಥಾನ ವಿದ್ವಾಂಸರಾಗಿದ್ದರು. ನಂತರ ಅಲ್ಲೇ ಪ್ರಧಾನಾಚಾರ್ಯರಾಗಿ ಸಂಗೀತ ಅಕಾಡಮಿಗೆ ಒಂದು ಹೊಸ ಆಯಾಮ ನೀಡಿದರು. ಮುತ್ತಯ್ಯ ಭಾಗವತರ್ ಜೊತೆಗೂಡಿ ಸ್ವಾತಿ ತಿರುನಾಳ್-ರವರ ನೂರೊಂದು ಕೃತಿಗಳನು ಬೆಳಕಿಗೆ ತಂದರು.

ಶಿಸ್ತಿನ ಕಲಾವಿದರಾಗಿ ಬೆಳೆದರೂ, ಹಾಸ್ಯ ಪ್ರಜ್ಞೆ ಹೇರಳವಾಗಿತ್ತು. ಒಮ್ಮೆ ಹೇಳಿದರಂತೆ, "ನನ್ನ ಮೊದಲ ಕಛೇರಿಯಲ್ಲೇ ಅಸಂಖ್ಯಾತ ಜನಗಳ ಮನಸ್ಸನ್ನು ಸೆರೆ ಹಿಡಿದು ಕೂರುವಂತೆ ಮಾಡಿದ್ದೆ, ಏಕೆಂದರೆ ಆಚೆ ಧಾರಾಕಾರವಾಗಿ ಮಳೆ ಸುರಿಯುತ್ತಿತ್ತು. . . ಯಾರೂ ಹೋಗುವಂತಿರಲಿಲ್ಲ!" ಇನ್ನೊಮ್ಮೆ. . . ದೀರ್ಘವಾಗಿ ಶಂಕರಾಭರಣ ರಾಗ ಆಲಾಪನೆ ಮಾಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದಾಗ ಮಗು ಅಳಲು ಪ್ರಾರಂಭಿಸಿತಂತೆ. ಅದನ್ನು ನೋಡಿದ ಅವರು ಮಗುವಿನ ಅಳುವಿನ ಧಾಟಿಯಲ್ಲೇ ರಾಗವನ್ನು ಪುನರುಚ್ಛರಿಸಿದರಂತೆ. ಅವರ ಮನಸ್ಸು ಎಷ್ಟು ವಿಶಾಲವಾಗಿತ್ತೆಂದರೆ- ಅವರ ಜೊತೆ ಫೋಟೋ ತೆಗೆಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲಿಚ್ಛಿಸುವವರ ಹತ್ತಿರ ಒಂದು ರೂಪಾಯಿಯನ್ನು ಕೇಳಿ ಪಡೆದುಕೊಳ್ಳುತ್ತಿದ್ದರಂತೆ. ಇವರ್ಯಾಕೆ ಹೀಗೆ? ಎಂದು ಅನೇಕರ ಮನಸ್ಸಿನಲ್ಲಿ ಸೋಜಿಗವುಂಟುಮಾಡಿತ್ತಂತೆ. ಆದರೆ ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿಯವರು ಆ ಹಣವನ್ನೆಲ್ಲಾ ಸಂಗ್ರಹಿಸಿ ಒಂದು ಅನಾಥಾಶ್ರಮಕ್ಕೆ ದಾನ ಮಾಡಿದರಂತೆ. ತಮ್ಮ ಸ್ವಗ್ರಾಮದಲ್ಲಿ ಸೆಕೆಂಡರಿ ಶಾಲೆ ತೆರೆದು ಮಕ್ಕಳ ವಿದ್ಯಾಭ್ಯಾಸಕ್ಕೆ ಅನುವು ಮಾಡಿಕೊಟ್ಟಿದ್ದಾರೆ.

ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿ ಮಾಮ ಸಮ್ಮನ್ನೆಲ್ಲಾ ಅಗಲಿದಾಗ ೯೫ ವರ್ಷ ವಯಸು. ಅವರು ಸಂಗೀತ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಹೊಂದಿದ್ದ ಶ್ರದ್ಧೆ ಅಪಾರ. ಅಂದಿನ ದಿನಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಯಾವುದೇ ವಾಹನ ಸೌಕರ್ಯ ಇರಲಿಲ್ಲ. ಅವರು ಸಂಗೀತ ಕೇಳಲು ಒಂದೂರಿನಿಣ್ದ ಇನ್ನೊಂದೂರಿಗೆ ಹಲವಾರು ಮೈಲಿ ಕಾಲ್ನಡಿಗೆಯಲ್ಲೇ ಹೋಗಿ ಬರುತ್ತಿದ್ದರು. ಕಲಾವಿದರು ಕಛೇರಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಪ್ರಸ್ತುತ ಪಡಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದ ರೀತಿಯಲ್ಲೇ ಅಭ್ಯಾಸ ಮಾಡುತ್ತಿದ್ದರು.

ಇವರು ಸಂಗೀತ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಸಲ್ಲಿಸಿದ ಸೇವೆಯನ್ನು ಗುರುತಿಸಿ ಭಾರತ ಸರ್ಕಾರ ರಾಷ್ಟ್ರಾಧ್ಯಕ್ಷ ಪ್ರಶಸ್ತಿ, ಪದ್ಮಭೂಷಣ, ಮದ್ರಾಸು ಸಂಗೀತ ಅಕಾಡೆಮಿ ಸಂಗೀತ ಕಲಾನಿಧಿ, ಕೇರಳ ವಿಶ್ವ ವಿದ್ಯಾಲಯ ಡಾಕ್ಟರೇಟ್ ಪ್ರಶಸ್ತಿ ನೀಡಿ ಗೌರವಿಸಿದೆ. ಸಂಗೀತ ಕ್ಷೇತ್ರದಲ್ಲಿ ಇವರಿಂದ ತೆರವಾದ ಸ್ಥಾನ ತುಂಬುವುದು ಕಷ್ಟ. ಅವರಂತೆ ಹಾಡಬೇಕು ಎನುವವರ್ಉ ಬಹಳ. ಆದರೆ ಬ್ರಹ್ಮನ ಸೃಷ್ಟಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಸೆಮ್ಮಂಗುಡಿಯವರಂತಹ ಕಲಾವಿದರು ವಿರಳ!

RaviVeda

Post by RaviVeda »

Uday_Shankar wrote:Desperately looking for a recording of SSI's 1967 Music Academy Concert accompanied by LGJ and Trichy Sankaran. Starts with mErusamAna, contains kshInamai (and I think RTP in sAveri). Willing to pay handsome price :-).
This concert is available in sangeethapriya. Very good quality recording, Violin sound is little low though.

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~ksj/Semm ... 0(LGJ-TS)/

IF you are not able to get the folder using the above link

GO to this page
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~ksj/Semm ... sa%20Iyer/

click on concert link
SSI #MA67 (LGJ-TS)
Last edited by RaviVeda on 20 Jul 2007, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

The niraval in the sAvEri piece is just awesome; Lalgudi Sir and Sankaran Sir have lifted this concert to celestial heights.

vv1986

Post by vv1986 »

does anyone have sri semmangudi mama singing koluvaiyunnade in bhairavi,tmkrishna would be good too,could someone post online if available,thanks

bhava786

Post by bhava786 »

I have some good concert recordings of SSI which I have enhanced with Audition, especially his concert in 1968 in MA with LGJ and UKS (original stereo recording) with an outstanding Sriranjani. I am wondering how to upload it . Can anybody help?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

As per our forum rules, please do not post the whole concert. You can post portions of it in the context of discussions.

Snippet from our rules section...

1. No commercial recordings
2. No current artists'' recordings (since they are very likely copyrighted)
3. Recordings are only for illustrative/educative purposes
4. As far as possible, where short educative samples will suffice, members should stick to them.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

That 1968 Academy concert is one my favorites... simply outstanding concert! The pallavi seems to be original too, I dont think I have heard SSI sing that pallavi (Shri Rama Jaya Rama Jaya Jaya Rama, Hare Ramachandra) in any other concerts.
Nothing like listening to that concert on a good stereo system... UKS sir simply lifts the concert to a different world with his accompaniment, esp. for Maarubalka!
Last edited by sankirnam on 30 Oct 2007, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

You can upload it it Sangeethapriya so that we can also enjoy ....

Svaapana

Post by Svaapana »

sankirnam,
Can you provide the song list. Thanks

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

Dr. Semmangudi R. Srinivasa Iyer - Vocal
Lalgudi G. Jayaraman - Violin
Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman - Mrudangam

Madras Music Academy, December 28, 1968

1. Vatapi Ganapathim - Hamsadwani - Adi - Muthuswami Dikshitar

2. Gurulekha - Gaurimanohari - Khanda Chapu - Thyagaraja

3. Padavini - Salaga Bhairavi - Adi - Thyagaraja

4. Enduku Peddala - Shankarabharanam - Adi - Thyagaraja

5. Marivere Gati - Ananda Bhairavi - Misra Chapu - Shyama Sastri

6. Marubalka - Sriranjani - Adi - Thyagaraja

7. RTP - Thodi - Khanda Jathi Triputa - "Shri Rama, Jaya Rama, Jaya Jaya Rama, Hare Rama" (edum is 1.5 aksharams from samam)

8. Kintu Cheyvu - Kalyani - Rupakam - Swathi Tirunal

9. Akhilandeswari - Dvijavanthi - Adi - Muthuswami Dikshitar

10. Slokam

11. Aravindha Padamalar - Kapi - Adi - Ambujam Krishna

12. Thillana - Purnachandrika - Adi - Ramanathapuram Srinivasa Iyengar

13. Ni Namarupamulaku - Saurashtram - Adi - Thyagaraja

Svaapana

Post by Svaapana »

Thanks sankirnam . Is it possible to upload the concert please?

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Can someone add to this list, on what awards were conferred on SSI?

1947 - SK (Yongest one to be conferred SK so far??)
1953 - Sangeeth Natak Academy Award
1963 - Padma Bhushan
1990 - Padma Vibhushan
?? - Kalidas Samman
?? - Isai Perarinyar

cienu

Post by cienu »

A few more to add to the above

1) "Rajya Seva Niratha" awarded to SSI by the Maharaja of Travancore. I do not however recollect which year this was awarded.

2) Doctorate from the University of Kerala.

3) Saptagiri Sangita Vidwanmani (T T D)

4) Sangita Kalarathna by H H Paramacharya of Kanchi Kamokoti Peetha.

5) "Raga Ratnakara" title by the Sringeri Shankaracharya.

6) In 1936 was honored by Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV, the Maharaja of Mysore (but I do not know the name of the award. Possibly a Gold Medal or a memento)

Yes, s_hari, at 39 years of age he was the youngest ever to be awarded the Sangeetha Kalanidhi. I think that this record is unlikely to be broken for the next 100 years at least.

And the title which was conferred on him by the lovers of CM was "Bhishma Pitamaha" which he will always be remembered as.

Karnaticfan

Post by Karnaticfan »

I think, SSI has been awarded Doctorate by MP Govt. too.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

I have been listening and looking at available recordings of SSI. From what i observe, i could rarely see SSI singing purandara dasa kritis or annamacharya kritis (I have seen just 1 each so far). I also didn't see he elaborating or singing any kriti in vivadi raaga.

If some one has come across these renditions, please let me know

-hari

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

The "Rajya Seva Nirata" was probably conferred on him even before the kalanidhi.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

thanks a lot sri.ravi veda....as usual one of the most outstanding concerts of semmangudi mama....sankaran sir's mrudangam in that concert had one of the best ever thoppi's i have ever heard.... simply amazing especially the way he played along with lalgudi sir for the final round of swaraprasthAra in that saveri kriti and for ksheenamai....

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

sankaran sir must have been around 20-25 yrs(at the max) during that concert.... what impeccable maturity.....

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

I have heard SSI sing 2 kritis of Purandaradasa. ' maanava janma DoDDadu' in Purvikalyani and ' Neene DayaaLo ' in Anandabhairavi. Both are available on sangeethapriya.

mohan

Post by mohan »

This July will mark the 100th Birth Centenary of Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer. The Music Academy is commemorating the event with a three day function. See http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/30/stories ... 021300.htm

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Thanks mohan... I have set a reminder to myself to track this... I wish to attend July 26,27 concerts and functions...

-hari

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

any further updates on the program - SSI centenary celebrations?

-hari

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

Hari, There are events being conducted at Mumbai , Delhi and Bangalore as well. Bangalore Event is at the Gayana Samaja and there is a Lec-dem by TMK followed with a concert by him.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Thanks BD. Hope to see more postings and reviews... Mods - may be a separate section for this event be created?

-hari

kriyative

Post by kriyative »

Posting on behalf of the T. N. Krishnan Foundation for Performing Arts:

In celebration of the centennial birthday of the "sangeetha pitamaha," Sri Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, the T. N. Krishnan Foundation is proud to offer a podcast featuring Sri T. N. Krishnan and Sri Palai Ramachandran, two of the great master's illustrious disciples. Both musicians fondly remember the life and music of their beloved guru, and share their gurukula experience with him.

More details at: http://www.tnkrishnan-foundation.org/20 ... enary.html

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

sankirnam wrote:7. RTP - Thodi - Khanda Jathi Triputa - "Shri Rama, Jaya Rama, Jaya Jaya Rama, Hare Rama" (edum is 1.5 aksharams from samam)
A superb ragamaalika (Kedara, nattakuranji, varali and one more if I remember it right) swaras to follow up with a fine rendition of RTP and out of the world Tani to round up this thrilling piece ! Let me go and listen it today ! Its been a while I listened to this piece !

I hope we both are talking the same song :)

~SR
Last edited by SangithaRasika on 29 Jul 2008, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

the thani is good no doubt, but it is a bit unusual, I wont say why here... this thani is much different from many other thanis I have heard from UKS sir

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

There was an interesting article on Kalki (the weekly magazine) where Kalki Rajendran (KR) , son of Kaki, remembers SSI. Also published, once upon a time, article of Kalki

Interesting points from that

1) FROM KALKI’S REVIEWâ€
Last edited by grsastrigal on 30 Jul 2008, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.