Shri Abhishek Raghuraman at Asthika Samajam, Tiruvanmiyur

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Abhishek gave a splendid and original concert at Asthika Samajam with a great blend of novelty, technique and aesthetics (not necessarily in that order :-) ) accompanied my M.A.Sundaresan, Tiruvarur Bhakthavatsalam and Dr. S. Karthik.

Incomplete song list:

1. Sami ninne (varnam), Shree, Adi, Garbapuri
2. Baguveera tanu, Shankarabharanam, Rupaka, Veenai Kuppaiyer, N(Nee namamu punya)S
3. Vasanthabhairavi, Nee Daya radha, Thyagaraja
4. Narayani, Bhajana Seyu Margamu, A, Thyagaraja, RN(Sakala veda purana)S
5. RTP, Simhendra Madhyamam, Adi, Ragamalika swarams in Mandu(?), Todi
--Nigama sudha vinodhini Neeraja dala lochani sada--
6. Thani

Amateur-hour observations:

1. Vasanthabhairavi alapana and kriti followed by Narayani Main, Shankarabharam at #2 with neraval -
Not your father's average carnatic fare :-)

2. Not many can keep up with Abhishek but M.A.S presented zesty accompaniment. I do feel he fell into the Durga trap while playing Narayani, which Shek came dangerously close to but skillfully side-stepped :-)

3. The ragamalika section of the RTP was executed in 2 iterations. The 2nd time included the full pallavi. Not sure if he did trikalam. My fundas are weak there :-(

babaji

Post by babaji »

the best concert i have ever heard of abhishek soo far.Vasantabhairavi was like i never heard anyone perform vasantabhairavi like that soo far.

narayani was fabulous.

"2. Baguveera tanu, Shankarabharanam, Rupaka, Veenai Kuppaiyer, N(Nee namamu punya)S"
by the way suresh thats not baguveera tanu its bagumeera ganunaado.

pallavi was mindblowing when he sang the raagamalika swaras with high precision in arai avartanas.

and in the closing of the concert he sang a kavadi chintu for which one of the most beautiful viruttam he sang in a joyful way called "vazhi theriyamal".

on the whole it was a perfect birthday gift as that day i was celebrating my birthday by listening to his concert.