Malladi brothers - Sriram & Ravi - Gokulashtami series - Ban

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Date 22 Aug 2008
Venue Unnati center

Sri Sriram prasad and Ravi kumar - Malladi brothers - vocal
Sri V.V.Ravi - Mridangam
Sangeetha kalanidhi Umayalpuram K.Sivaraman - Mridangam
Sri B Sundarkumar - Kanjira

1. Asaveri varnam - Lalgudi G Jayaraman (I entered when they were singing charanam..)
2. gopika manoharam - mohanam - Adi - muthuswami dikshitar (Swara @ gopika manoharam)
3. sripa priya sangeethopasana seyave O manasa - Atana - Adi - Thyagaraja (brief alapana, swara @ ranjillu jese)
4. sadujana vinutam guruguham - lathangi - misra chapu - muthuswami dikshiar (alapana, niraval & swara @ madurya rasadi bakshanam)
5. kadallevadu gade ramudu - narayanagowla - adi - thyagaraja
6. mouna vyakya prakatia (sloka) - Sri dakshinamurthe - shankarabharanam - mishra jampa - muthuswami dikshitar (raga alpana, swara @ Sri dakshinamurthe & tani)
7. brahma kadigina padamu - mukhari - annamayya - adi
8. viruttam - kasturi tilakam lalata palaka - sahana, vasantha, abheri, sudha sarang??
9. govardhana giridhara - sudda sarang?? (same raga as last used in viruttam - not darbari kanada!!!!!) - narayana thertha tharangam
10. madhukara vrudhiyanndu - chenchurutti - purandaradasa
11. heccharikaga ra ra - yadukulakambhodhi - kanda chapu - muthuswami dikshitar
12. patiki harateve - surati - thyagaraja
13. mangalam kosalendraya - madhyamavati

Kind of okay concert.. No neraval for shankarabharanam - dakshinamurthe - i still remember vijay siva doing neraval in fort high school for rama navami series in april/may this year... great and grand thani by one and only UKS..

Both brothers equally participated in the proceedings.. Speech by Ramesh Swami & UKS was lengthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy 25 minutes.. (including cassette release function)..

More details on concert later tomorrow.. Hoping that someone will fill in

-hari

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

any details on the availability of the recordings? :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Hari,
V.V. Ravi on the violin.
Last edited by arasi on 23 Aug 2008, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

eppramod

Post by eppramod »

Last concert of the this year's Gokulashtami series @SGBS.

As Hari told it was a decent concert,i thought when they didn't sing Neraval for the main one can expect a grand Pallavi to follow.
But there was long speech by great UKS (this time he did the felicitation of fellow artists and talked about SGBS/Unnati etc etc).
I think brothers might have planned for a pallavi,there was also an Audio CD of Mallai Brothers (Vageya Vaibhavam ..i think)released.

I came in during the Mohanam swaras so missed the Asaveri Varnam,somebody sitting next to me told that it was Saveri Varnam.

After singing the Atana krithi they gave a brief explanation on what Tyagaraja Swamy wanted to convey there,that each raga has a deity associated with it!.

Lathangi Alapana was good and the neraval and swaras were also rendered beautifully.About Narayanagowla krithi brothers after singing mentioned that the krithi was popularized by Chitoor Subramania Pillai,Madurai Somu...
Main item was a bit short,with an absolutely wonderful Thaniavarthanam from great UKS (I am no way qualified to write about this though).

I was thinking the Narayana theertha kriti was rendered in Vrindavana Saranga.(may be I was wrong)

The previous day OST also gave a wonderful concert in the same venue,with Kiravani as the main.

Pramod

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Correcting few typos
s_hari wrote:10. madhukara vrudhiyanndu - chenchurutti - purandaradasa
This is madhukara vRtti ennadu
11. heccharikaga ra ra - yadukulakambhodhi - kanda chapu - muthuswami dikshitar
I'm sure you meant to say Tyagaraja :)
12. patiki harateve - surati - thyagaraja
patiki hAratIrE

-Ramakriya

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Ha haa.. i am laughing at my self for allowing V.V.Ravi to play mridangam and heccharikaga ra ra to be composed by Muthurswami dikshitar(-(;- !!! What a mistakes.. I am fit to take up reviewer /reporter job in The Hindu(;-

-hari

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Probably Unnati centre , the new location seems to have got on your nerves. ha,ha, i AM YET TO VISIT TO VISITUNNATI, having come to C hennai when the series commenced .gobilalitha

sappri

Post by sappri »

The Unnati Center probably has what I think qualifies for outstanding acoustics - I'm yet to see any other Center which such blemishless acoustics -