Nedunuri Sir's concert in Shanmukhananda

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
venkatr

Post by venkatr »

I heard it was a very good concert by the octoganerian. Speeches / felicitation cut short the duration to ~2 :15 mins. But even this was an unforgettable experience for all who were fortunate (unlike myself) to see Nedunuri Garu perform. Second time I missed his concert after the MA inaugural concert
last season.

Heard he began with Saveri varnam and sang Ma Janaki - Kambodhi with Palintsu Kamakshi as main.

Shankarabharanam / Prashant : Can you post a detailed review including snippets of any speeches about Nedunuri Garu and yes definitely his mention of Shanmukhanada before the main piece. Heard this from my father and wife who were at the concert.

I am sure there would be definitely some IPOD recording of the concert in these days of Technology and that too for artists like Nedunuri who sing rarely.. Can someone upload and share - I am sure many like me who missed the concert will be delighted to hear him.

Will also miss Prashant's concert next week - All the best Prashant for a great concert ! Hope to catch up on your concert recording later.

Thanks in Advance

Prasad
Last edited by venkatr on 01 Sep 2008, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Here is the set list:

Sangita Kalanidhi Sri Nedunuri Krishnamurthy - Vocal
Sri Peri Sriramamurthy - Violin
Sri Mahadevu Lakshminarayana Raju - Mridangam
Sri Haribabu - Ghatam
Malladi Sri Ravikumar - Vocal Support
Sri Raghu - Tambura

Sri B. Narayanaswamy Centenary Celebrations - SFAS - 31.08.2008

1. sarasUDA - sAvEri - adi [2] - kottavAsal venkaTrAma iyer [S]
2. mA jAnaki - kAmbhOji - adi - tyAgarAjA [S at 'vAni mATalaku']
3. shri venkaTEshwaruni - naTabhairavi - adi - annamACAryA
4. kOrina varamosagumayyA - rAmapriyA - rupaka - paTnam subrahmaNya iyer [R,S at 'sarivArilOna']
5. shringAra laharE - nIlAmbari - adi [2] - lingarAj urs
6. pAlinCu kAmAkshi - madhyamAvati - adi [2] - syAmA sAstri [R,N at 'kAntamagu',S,T]
7. sA pasyat kausalyA - jONpuri - adi - tiruppayanam panCApakEsa sastri
8. karuNai deivamE - sindhubhairavi - adi - madurai srinivAsan
9. patiki hArati - suraTi - adi - tyAgarAjA

vijay

Post by vijay »

A very short concert thanks to a never-ending series of speeches. It was not quite the Academy concert, which was in a different zone altogether, but a very enjoyable one nevertheless. Swaras for Kambhoji were a real treat as was the Madhyamavati alaapana. I missed a longer neraval (the only one for Palintsu was just a couple of lines). Amplification for vocal support could have been a little higher but overall the acoustics were excellent - Shanmukha currently tops my list of auditoria in India.

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

Really an enjoyable concert by Nedunuri Sir...If not for the long speeches, he would have easily sung for 3 hrs...Good support by Malladi Ravikuamar...Kamboji swaras were really good...Listening to him after nearly 3 yrs..NEvertheless wasn't disappointed..But the last time i heard he sang a superb kedargowla...I have recorded the concert...Pls let me know if i shd upload it...

prashant

Post by prashant »

The master fine-tuning the tambura:

kAmbhOji swarams in full flow:

The team:

Appreciating Sri Sriramamurthy's fine touches in rAmapriyA...

...and the supportive percussion from Sri Raju and Sri Haribabu:

Total involvement and dedication, a hallmark of his illustrious career...

A light moment on stage with disciple Malladi Sri Ravikumar:

sArvabhaumAya mangaLam:

Last edited by prashant on 03 Sep 2008, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Prashant - thanks for the photos.. I get a feeling for listening to the concert live.. Will be glad to hear recording

-hari

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

Am sorry Hari...I am sad to say that there was some prob with my mp3. When i went home and tried transferring the concert, i found the file to be corrupted. I say these gadgets some time let you down..I am really disappointed...wanted to cherish kamboji after returning home...:(

And Prashant thanks for these really good pics...I incidentally spoke to maestro during the lunch...It was great and told that he wanted to sing more...Really happy to seek his blessings...:)
Last edited by shankarabharanam on 03 Sep 2008, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

must have been an amazing concert. It is rather majestic to see him sit on stage.

the photos make one feel that one attended the concert :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

prashant
Photos look great. An early take off with a majestic mA jAnaki topped with swaras must have been great. Could you also upload few photos of shanmughAnandA sabha, being the biggest hall for CM concerts.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Very nice photos!

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks for the photos!

venkatr

Post by venkatr »

Thanks Prashant for the great photos. Seeing him sit on the stage, I am reminded of the saying "Anda muhataiyum adil ulla tejas-ium parthale podum pannina pavangal ellam poi vidum" (seeing the majestic face itself will make you feel as if you gor rid of all the sins - not an exact translation but the substance).

Ma Janaki right at the beginning and that too with swaras - ah something definitely missed ! Alas, we cannot hear it now. Any others who recorded ? Also Madhyamavathi of Nedunuri Sir is always in separate league - I still remember his raga alapanai and then the magnanimous begada in virutham he sang in FAS, chembur, IIRC, 4 years back.
Last edited by venkatr on 03 Sep 2008, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

actually, i have been looking at these photos repeatedly now. the b/w ones are all the more making me feel for not being able to hear this man live, as often as i would want to... :(

ram

Post by ram »

Prashant,

Thanks for capturing the moments so beautifully!

cienu

Post by cienu »

Images are so powerful and bring out the magical moments so wonderfully.
Prashant, thank u for the same (and also wishing u all the best for your program) :)

prashant

Post by prashant »

You are all welcome. My privilege and honour to share with you these photos of one of my all time favorite musicians and a great inspiration to me personally.

PS: Credit for taking these photos goes not to me, but to my father [although it was I who reminded him to bring the camera along :D]
Last edited by prashant on 03 Sep 2008, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

One more for you all...

jananee

Post by jananee »

Great snaps Prashanth and thanks for posting!
Last edited by jananee on 03 Sep 2008, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Prashant,

Great pictures - awesome clarity, with apt captions! BTW, to clarify, did your dad carry 2 cameras? Or, are the B&W prints courtesy of image editing?

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Prashant, you made my day;I was feeling very sad that I missed Shri Nedanuri's concert this time; missed being in Mumbai. The photos are so good and I feel happy to see the great personality. Was remembering the few get to gethers we used to have in Swastik Park whenever Shri Nedunuri visited Mumbai. Really missed being home.
Thanks once agin and all the best for your forthcoming concert.

prashant

Post by prashant »

rshankar wrote:Or, are the B&W prints courtesy of image editing?
Hooray for iPhoto :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Prashant,
Just saw the pictures. Thanks to your father. I agree with all when they say it almost makes you feel as if we were there!
Music glows in that face, finds expression in those gestures, and his
life-long involvement with sangItam pervades the scene. Look at the total involvement of the artistes on stage!
Though Ravikumar has a pleasant expression while he is on stage, he simply lights up when he sings with Nedunuri!
By the way, is it possible to post a few of the pictures you took at his Academy concert? And I regretted not having a camera with me to take a picture of 'one happy you' when you were taking pictures!
Last edited by arasi on 04 Sep 2008, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

arasi wrote:Prashant,
Just saw the pictures. Thanks to your father. I agree with all when they say it almost makes you feel as if we were there!
Music glows in that face, finds expression in those gestures, and his
life-long involvement with sangItam pervades the scene. Look at the total involvement of the artistes on stage!
Though Ravikumar has a pleasant expression while he is on stage, he simply lights up when he sings with Nedunuri!
By the way, is it possible to post a few of the pictures you took at his Academy concert? And I regretted not having a camera with me to take a picture of 'one happy you' when you were taking pictures!
arasi: Whenever I see Nedunuri Garu or hear his music, I always remember the lines 'prEma bhakti sujana vAtsalyamu, shrImad ramA vara kaTAkSamu' from sangIta SAstra gnAnamu. Truly a gentle, principled and great musician and individual. May his tribe increase.

I will try to trace the pictures, arasi. They must be somewhere on my home computer. Will post them as and when I find them.

psitaram

Post by psitaram »

Canon Rebel put to full use:-) Great Pictures Prashant.

Pravin

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thank you, psitaram, or should I say 'Chitappa'? :-)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Prashant: Thanks for sharing those pictures.

Pravin Sitaram

Post by Pravin Sitaram »

Chittappa sounds good....

Pravin