dayAvati

Rāga related discussions
vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

What raga is this Thillana? It is sung by MLV.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/c247efc3-bc0e ... ingRagaHBR

I heard it yesterday and have been haunted by its beauty and exotic quality since then. It sounds so familiar and I keep telling myself I should know this but its different elements later on in the song keep me guessing.

Other details on this song ( composer, thala etc. ) will also be useful to know. Thanks.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here it is:

tOm tOm tOm tOmta. rAgA: dayAvati. k/tripuTa tALA. Composer: N.S.Ramachandran.

P: tOm tOm tOmta dhiranA tanana dhru dhru tOm tarikiTa
dhirutAni tOm tadhira tAni tOm dhru tAni dhru dhiru
A: dhIm tarana nana dhru dhru dhIm tadhIm tirana tOm dhru dhruta
tillAna dhru dhruta tillAna nAdhir tOm nAdirtOm nAdhiru dhiru
C: tAmarasa daLAya tAkSa sukumAra rAmacandranuta mukhajita pUrNacandra
gA ; ; gA *nI sA rI gA sA ; *nI *nI sA rI gA ; sA *nI rI ; gA sA rI gA pA ;
takiTa jhaNutAm tadhimi tOm dhru dhru tOm dhru dhru , , dhru dhru tOm kiTa tarikiT
tOm dhiru dhru dhru tOm kiTa tarikiTa tOm diru dhru dhru tOm kiTa tarikiTa tOm

vasanthakokilam

Thanks very much Lakshman for the info. Much appreciated. Incredible as usual. This raga/song had quite an effect on me. With the info you provided, I did further searching.

Karnatik.com has this info for dayavati:

dayavati
22 kharaharapriyA janya

Aa: S R2 G2 P N2 S
Av: S N2 P M1 G2 S

Found some information about this composer:

http://www.carnatica.net/composer/nsramachandran.htm

Looks like he has great taste in melody making. I have a feeling I will like this tune smith's other melodies as well!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

May be I have heard this raga in one of her RTPS-Dharmavati raga followed by by ragamalika swaras in ragas ending with 'vati'-

vasanthakokilam

I have been haunted by dayAvati from the first time I heard this thillana. I have been playing around with it and after some considerable hesitation I decided to share this work-in-progress piece with you all.

Needless to say, it requires a lot of further work. Also, the thala needs to be restructured. In its current form, I will characterize it as emotional rhythm!!

http://www.esnips.com/doc/9d120215-c2c5 ... positionV2

http://boomp3.com/listen/c1lvz2brq_v/da ... hbriefalap ( alternate location, same content )

Thanks to Lakshman for the info about this raga and the thillana by N.S. Ramachandran sung by MLV which led me through this path.

Your comments and feedback are most welcome.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Nice VK!
It is haunting indeed in spite of some imperfections.
Is it a simple aalaapana or you have some kriti in mind.
I hear shades of saramthi which has no relation here...
Or am I dreaming :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Another dreamer here who dreams sAramati and finds it to be a rAgA like manOranjitam (a flower which smells of all the fragrances you can think of!)--Suddha dhanyAsi, Sivaranjani?? A haunting rAgA indeed and MLV belts it out beautifully.

VK,
Good try! SInce the inspiring piece is in such a brisk pace, the slower version of yours takes some time to get adjusted to. The second version's start was crisper and I liked the first one as it progressed. I am just wondering: if you take away all this, make it a blank slate, and some night you just picked up your flute and said to the friends gathered in your house this: I was inspired by a tune I heard and I am going to play my own version of it, they would have been taken by surprise and have exclaimed, 'what a haunting tune'!

Waiting for Arun, ramakriya and others...

arunk

Post by arunk »

reminded me of some song and raga - which I then "artificially" (i..e via google) narrowed to ratipatipriya and this song:
http://sangeethamshare.org/murthy/004-M ... shitar.mp3

Of course there are differences between ratipatipriya and this w.r.t avarohana (s n2 p g2 r2 s vs. s n2 p m1 g2 s), the arohana is same. I think the "r2 g2 p n2" part is quite striking and unique to both these ragas .

I dont hear saramathi although there are partial similarities in the scale (m1 g2 s in avaro). Saramathi employs D1 - which contributes to a lot of its pathos.

Arun

PS: nice effort :) !
Last edited by arunk on 15 Oct 2008, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
Remember the song 'bUmiyil mAniDa jenmam', the hit song of yore which was a favorite of the singing beggars on the train? They used to keep the beat by playing 'mrudangam' on their tummies? That tune comes to mind as well...
Last edited by arasi on 15 Oct 2008, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You stumped me! I have always wondered about it. Somebody once told me that it is a variant of bimplas which I could not digest. I would love your guess.
it is a P Sivan composition.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi,
doesn't the tune of 'bhUmiyi mAnuDa janmam' resemble that of 'sendamizh nADennum pOdinilE'?

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
Does not sound as BhImplAs to me either. More Sivaranjani, if anything--that starting sa sa ri ga-sa ri ga...

Punarvasu,
Yes, one of the versions of Sentamizh nADennum pOdinilE is the same tune. The other version is more apt (mAND), in my view. Has an energizing tone for a patriotic song.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Arun,
It sounds more like ratipatipriyA to me now, as you have pointed out. manamE kaNamum maRavAdE is close to this! Isnt that in bhImplAs?
CML,
My head reels...

vasanthakokilam

Thanks everyone for taking the time to listen to this piece.

Arasi: Your imagery on bringing out a tune is quite vivid. Actually, it was not that far from how this tune came about. I was captivated by the charanam 'tAmarasa daLAya tAkSa sukumAra' of that thillana and anything I tried gravitated to that second quadrant in which that line is set in. One can indulge there quite a bit.

CML, the first minute and a half is the alapana (for lack of a better word ) and the rest of it is intended to be a song!! The alapana is not based on any krithi, mainly because I could not find any other composition in this raga. N S Ramachandran's thillana provides for quite a few catchy phrases that I latched on to. And it is fun to invent some new combinations from the Aro/Ava. And since there is no established view, it is a bit of an open season!!

Regarding other ragas that come to mind, I sensed a bit of Sivaranjani as well. After Arun pointed out, I see the resemblance to that ratipatipriya song. In the N.S. Ramachandran piece in the upper sthayi I hear brindavana saranga'ish prayogas.

I find the melodic phrases in the second quadrant ( sa to pa, and pa to sa ) establish the raga's identity, providing for its unique and exotic feel. While dabbling with this raga, I was amazed at how skillfully Sri. Ramachandran had carved out and exploited beautifully the catchy phrases in composing that thillana. In that second quadrant, Sivaranjani feel does come in and quickly vanishes when the melody line goes down with pa-ma-ga-sa and pa-ni-pa-ma-ga-pa-ma-ga-sa.

My motivation is to do something different from Sri. Ramachandran's song just for the sake of variation. It is not easy since that song is so strong in its appeal.

And one more thing, listening to the MLV rendition of Ramachandran Thillana back to back with this song is absolutely prohibited ;)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

There is an old film song-'rAdhaiyin nenjamE kaNNanukku sondamE'- Iused to think it was sudhdha dhanyAsi; now it sounds like this raga; unfortunately I dont remember beyond the first line.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 15 Oct 2008, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
You had a great time listening to MLV's fine rendering of this super tillAnA--and we did too. No wonder, you were inspired to create something of your own. You are right--the words are woven into the tillAnA beautifully.
Is Sudha singing with MLV? Has any one heard her sing this?

Punarvasu,
I do remember the first line of the song. I remember too, the 'kannAnukku' (!) bit of pronunciation by the singer!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The rAgA for bhUmiyil mAniDa is given as sindhubhairavi in Shivan's book.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I can go with sindhubhairavi since it is a big basket and anything you don't know can be tucked there :)

VK
You have strictly stuck to the raga definition and hence sound pure!
However MLv does stray into prati madhyama (even the start tOm tOm is P M2 (arun pl confirm!). You should explore it still further and perhaps Arasi will come up with a composition. Or may I start:
dayai purivaay dayaavatI
tharuNam iithE thamiyan miithE...

vasanthakokilam

CML: I can not tell if MLV uses M2. I will be surprised if she did but I am ready to be surprised. We will wait for Arun, though based on his inclinations in past discussions of this sort, he may not indulge in that ;)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

May be MLV's pallavi line was somewhat like this-'dharmavati dayAvati dayai purivAi kalAvathi'- dont remember.
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 15 Oct 2008, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

it is m1. only.

The ratipatipriya resemblance was more to me in VK rather than in the NSR's thillana. That (to me) has a lot of suddhadhanyasi flavor - because of a mgs etc. pmgs. In fact the starting hum itself sort of set me up for that (pa.... pmg....s....) As you can see, the avarohana of this raga is same as that of suddha-dhanyasi. Now it has ri which Suddhadhanyasi does not, but abhEri does - however, the ri is there only in arohana and hence one can only ascend from it (as in srgp or say srgmgs ). This is different from abhEri where ri appears only in avarohana and one can only descend from it (e.g. gmgrs, pmgrss).

So perhaps the bImplAs flavor some are detecting is really a Suddha-dhanyasi flavor?

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 15 Oct 2008, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Arun, OK, got it on the point that you did not sense ratipatipriya resemblance in the NSR piece. That is useful info.

That starting hum sounded exotic to me but I did not associate that with suddha-dhanyasi. I see it now. I tried to get that hum reproduced in the recording I posted but mine sounds a bit different.

The phrase pa-ma-ga-pa-ma-ga-sa and its variations attracted my attention and I tried use it as the flourish at the end of each section, but hearing it again, I think I made a mistake there. It is more like pa-ma-ga-ma-pa-ma-ga-sa which is not in accordance with aro/ava of dayavathi.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I sensed a trace of 'karnaranjani'-somewhere.

shobana

Re: dayAvati

Post by shobana »

Namaskaram,
Can someone please help me with sahithya meaning and audio for Dayavathi thillana? The 2 audio links provided in the beginning of this thread failed to open for me. Kindly help!

Thank you,
Shobana