Sruthi BhEdham in HM

Classical Music of North India
beginner

Post by beginner »

Like in CM, is Sruthi BhEdam done by HM artists? I am afraid, HM artists are so much attached with Sruthi, they would dare do it. Your takes/ views pl...
Last edited by beginner on 24 Sep 2008, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

vk

Post by vk »

Why are we obesessed with our attempts to relate HM music to CM?

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

shruti bedham or grahabedham are complex things, which can be understood by rasikas with high knowledge of intricate swara variations .However much it is theoretically explained,, it may not satisfy our question . only a lecture demonstration will help. GOBILALITHA

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

:) The last time you said something like that, Arun went ahead and provided a whole host of demos which were quite illuminating ( and I am still perplexed by that experience as to the fundamental nature of our music ;) ). I can not readily find that thread now. We will link that thread here later on.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

VK, it is in the 'Raga and Alapana' thread.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Punarvasu. Found it based on your tip. Here is the link: http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6046

vijay

Post by vijay »

BTW sruthi bedham is well known among Hindustani musicians and I remember at least one occasion when it was presented in a concert. However it is not as common as in CM (where, IMO, a lot of so-called Sruthi Bedhams have more to do with the theory behind tonal shifts than true sruthi gnanam)...

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

I don't see why Hindustani musicians should not attempt grahabhEda :)

Here is an illustration of graha bheda in Hindustani by Sanjeev Abhyankar.

I have posted it on my blog in the following link.

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2008/11/25/graha-bedha/

-Ramakriya

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is a question. If a HM musician was singing Malkauns (our Hindolam) and he starts singing in a madhyama shruti then will he be singing suddha dhanyasi ? The reason I ask is since there are not much gamaka pryogams in HM compared to CM...

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Not sure about that - but I suspect whenever the graha is not strong enough, it can float into another rAga whether it is Hindustani or not.

Here is an illustration from film music - that has the same pair cmlover mentioned in his post:

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=30sdZLbnUHc

Ignore the final S R M P D S ;) where all swaras are at the same frequency!

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 27 Nov 2008, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

It is not that clear due to lot of instrumental noise!
Perhaps Arun could give us a good demo if he gets to read this!

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover wrote:Here is a question. If a HM musician was singing Malkauns (our Hindolam) and he starts singing in a madhyama shruti then will he be singing suddha dhanyasi ? The reason I ask is since there are not much gamaka pryogams in HM compared to CM...
(i have mentioned this before) This certainly happened to me at a BMK concert with Ajoy Chakraborty - it was sort of a jugalbandi. They switched to madhyama sruthi for hindolam (but mainly to eliminate the pa) - but still sang in normal sruthi. But apparently I latched on the madhyama from the sruthi/tampura as sadja - and for the entire multi-minute alapana we thought they were singing suddhadhanyasi. It all ended when BMK started "sAmajavaragamana" :)

cmlover - In that instrumental thing - basically they are singing the exact same tune - but transposing the solfa syllables. So what is sung as g m d n (of hindolam), is then repeated but as n s g m (of s.dhanyasi). But since there is no other enforcing of shift of tonic going on, we as listeners dont perceive anything.

Aun

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Arun
Yes! you have mentioned the whole episode before. I had forgotten. Pardon me :)
This latching on to the shruti (tambura) can indeed play tricks on us!
But I think these illusions need gamaka-free svara prastaaram which is not always pleasant for many of CM ragas...