asAvEri

Rāga related discussions
mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Could someone post a short sketch of asAvEri please (preferebly a vocal clip)?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Here is a link to a nice krithi of annaswAmi sastry. I heard this rendered by Sanjay Subramanian

http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivk ... veri-R.mp3

rendered by Ram kaushik

sAhityam and notation are also available at

http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivk ... nayike.htm

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks Sri Kulkarni. OST's rendition of this krithi is very good. Here is another version.

dasartha_nandana--asAvEri--Adi--tyAgarAja--hyderabad_brothers

http://file.uploadr.com/7602

cm_jeeves

Post by cm_jeeves »

Here's a RKS's rendition of rA rAma inTi

http://rapidshare.de/files/22804914/ra_ ... i.mp3.html

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

here is an amazing rendition of the dikshitar kriti kumArasvAminam with a nice AlApanai as a prelude...

[link removed temperorily]

i dont think it is a commercial recording. if it is, do let me know, i will remove it.
Last edited by rbharath on 15 Mar 2007, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

rbharath
There is a possibilty of this being commercial. Could you remove the link until this is clarified? Thanks for your coopeartion.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

drs, i have removed it right now. i dont know how to clarify if it is commercially released. my sources are clueless either. it is however an awesome clip, so if it is not commercial then its worth sharing. so if u can clarify, then let me know.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Bharath

There is this kRti as well as several others here

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/dikshith ... ithis.html

This will serve the purpose :)

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Charanam, Charanam, Raghurama... a composition of Arunachala kavi is a good Asaveri piece.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

tooo good a link drs. thanks :)

prashant

Post by prashant »

The rendition of kumArasvAminam in that site is excellent - the krithi is rendered serenely and with appreciation for its beauty. Bharath, just out of curiousity, who sang the krithi in the clip that you removed?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

prashant wrote:Bharath, just out of curiousity, who sang the krithi in the clip that you removed?
Sanjay :)

Its the same clip

prashant

Post by prashant »

From my limited ability to comprehend the SSP's notations, the concept of kumArasvAminam and flow in SSP seems very different from Sanjay's excellent rendition.

Also R2 would probably be absent in SSP [the rAgA is mentioned as 'bhASanga' though]? I remember reading that some scholars and musicians argue that R2 is a 'later addition' to asAvEri and should be eschewed. I'm no grammarian, but to me, it sounds absolutely essential to the rAgA and provides a beautiful 'brightness' to the rAgasvarUpa. Has anyone heard renditions of asAvEri without the R2?
Last edited by prashant on 16 Mar 2007, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

SSP says suddha nishAdham and suddha gAndhAram are played by vainika's to add ranjakatvam to the ragam. and thus classifies it as a bhashanga rAgam.

now, can one assume that suddha gAndhAram in the instrumental renditions was adopted into the rAgam as a catursruti rishabham.

I have always felt that the way that rishabham is sung sounds more like suddha gAndhAram.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

SSP also adds that:

This asAvEri rAgam was not included among the bhAshAnga rAgams mentioned in the third khaNDam for the lakshaNa gItam of the rAgAnga rAgam, tODi. In spite of this, people who are proficient in the pUvika sampradAyam regard this rAgam as bhAshAnga janyam of the tODi mELam.

prashant

Post by prashant »

rbharath wrote:now, can one assume that suddha gAndhAram in the instrumental renditions was adopted into the rAgam as a catursruti rishabham.
That makes sense to me.
rbharath wrote:I have always felt that the way that rishabham is sung sounds more like suddha gAndhAram.
Hmm... to me it sounds definitely and distinctively lower than suddha gAndhAram, but of course that's a subjective assessment. I definitely would like to hear a rendition of this krithi as per the SSP just to see how differently the melodic aspect of the raga will be presented. Let me see if I can get some insight from Smt. Vedavalli the next time I meet her.

There are some beautiful characteristaclly vINA glides and arresting piDis in Sanjay's pATantaram. Some of the pallavi sangatis, and the Sa-Pa jump in the word 'bAhulEyam' come to mind immediately. Wonder from whom he learnt it.

arunk

Post by arunk »

if i remember Drs excellent demo correctly, not all occurences of R1/G1 stanam can be deemed as G1. There is something like a "s r, m..." where the r takes the contour/pitch-range of R2 and in this phrase cannot be G1 - i think (?).

On the other hand "g~ r s", the seems to hover around the G1/R2 sthanam. But since r following the g here is R1, g~ must be G1 (or has shades of G1 as opposed to R2).

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 16 Mar 2007, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

prashant wrote:From my limited ability to comprehend the SSP's notations, the concept of kumArasvAminam and flow in SSP seems very different from Sanjay's excellent rendition.

Also R2 would probably be absent in SSP [the rAgA is mentioned as 'bhASanga' though]? I remember reading that some scholars and musicians argue that R2 is a 'later addition' to asAvEri and should be eschewed. I'm no grammarian, but to me, it sounds absolutely essential to the rAgA and provides a beautiful 'brightness' to the rAgasvarUpa. Has anyone heard renditions of asAvEri without the R2?
I have been taught that it should be only R1 in the ArohaNa, and that the ascending R2 that has been adopted in modern times was likely a misinterpretation of G in the descent, as in PMG,G, which takes on the flavour of suddha gAndhAra (G1). The compositions I know in asAvEri sound perfectly fine in this form (e.g. consider "raghuvIra" as S R1 M1, or "dikku nI vanucu" as S R1 M1, P D1 P, in rArAmAyinTidAka)

Ashwin
Last edited by Ashwin on 16 Mar 2007, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Last edited by kaumaaram on 17 Mar 2007, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

'kArttikEyam bAhulEyam' in kumArasvAminam. What does the word 'bAhulEyam' mean?

Edit: bAhulEyA = synonym for kArtikEyA?
Last edited by prashant on 03 Apr 2007, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

prashant wrote:'kArttikEyam bAhulEyam' in kumArasvAminam. What does the word 'bAhulEyam' mean?

Edit: bAhulEyA = synonym for kArtikEyA?
Indeed this is an epithet for kArtikEya. bahula refers to the month, kArtika, the month of his birth.

SrinathK

Re: asAvEri

Post by SrinathK »

Bump and merge required.