Rag- DEEPAWALI

Rāga related discussions
hariharan

Post by hariharan »

I wish to start this thread to know more details of this rare rag- Deepavali. I heard this raga sung by a bhajan artist. The song is a composition of sant. Brahmanand. The title of song is "aaju sakhi mEre sadguru ghar aaye, merE man mE Ananda payorE"
Please listen to the song (only a part of the song is available)
the link is http://rapidshare.com/files/160883866/A ... i.mp3.html

while listening from the song, this rag appears to have some traces of rag Basant sans m2. The rag can be a janya of " Puriya dhanashri " of HM which is similar to the rag Panthuvarali of CM.

In this song the note PA seems to be used only in the avarohana sanchara. Hence, the aro can be SRGMDNS and the avarohana SNDPMGRS. I may be wrong and hence corrections are most welcome.
However, the song really have high melody for listening.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

http://www.acidplanet.com/components/em ... 813&T=8409

Aaj sakhi mErE satguru gar AyE mErE manmEm Anand bhayori
Darsanu sE sab pAp vinAsE duk daridr sab dUr gayOrI
Amrt pachan sunat bavnAs yOgkhar bhItar prabhU pAylayOri
Janam janam kE samsay tUttE bhav bhay tAp mitAyI dayOri
Brahmanand dAs dAsanu kO charN kamal lipTA rahOri

This is the lyrics I have in the sampradaya bhajan book compiled by Late P.R. Sankara Iyer and that is how I rendered.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Your rendition is also nice. I wish to make a correction in the lyrics with your permission please. In the 3rd line, the word is "Amrut vachan " (meaning words as sweet as the nector) instead of "amrt pachan "

Radhekrishna

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I just copied the english version; I will now make the change. Thanks for the correction.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

gar = ghar (घर)
duk = dukh (दà¥ÂÂ

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

I post a fresh version of the lyrics, after making further corrections. Mr. VKR please be guided.

Aaj sakhi mErE satguru gar AyE l
mErE manmEm Anand payorE ll
Darsan sE sab pAp vinAsE l
duk daridr sab dUr gayOrE ll
Amrut vacAn sunat tama nAcyorE l
katapIdar prabhU pAylayOrE ll
janam janam kE samsay tUttE l
bhav bhay tAp mitAylayOrE ll
brahmAnand dAs dAsanu kO l
charN kamal lipTAyhyOrE ll

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Cool.
A delectable post-dIpAvali treat.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is an audio clip on flute by Nityanand Haldipur and an explanation of the raga by Shobha Mudgal.

http://podcasts.underscorerecords.info/ ... episode-4/

We present an extract from Raag Deepavali rendered on the flute by Nityanand Haldipur whose albums Lineage Vol 1 and Vol 11, and Maihar Mystique are all available on the Underscore Records audio catalogue. Deepavali is a raag created by flute maestro Pannalal Ghosh whose playing style Nityanand follows closely. The introductory alaap in Raag Deepavali makes it evident that it seems to be primarily a blend of Raag Yaman and Raag Lalit, but Nityanand Haldipur explains that Pannalal Ghosh meant it to be a murchhana of Raag Puriya Kalyan. The alaap is followed by a gat in Raag Deepavali composed by Pannalal Ghosh, who is the creator of this beautiful evening raag. Sandeep Bhattacharya provides tabla accompaniment.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Thank you Lakshman Sir for your details. This rag shines more in Madhyama sruti. May be its idendity too.

Radhekrishna

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

SikkilGC sings this often in his concerts.Recently on 01/01/09 sang this @PSS.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

I also know a song that begins with "Deepavali". It is a tamil song in the same ragam. I once heard Nithyasree singing it in a channel for Deepavali Special programmes.