M.S. Gopalakrishnan

Carnatic Musicians
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.de/files/28603884/listen_to_this.mp3

Boy ! you talk like a lawyer ,even here !!

Objection - granted..
even if it is against your own argument...:D

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Objection sustained...

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Well, Cool, lawyers do not have "primitive understanding" as one of the forum members had indicated in some other thread. The point is that the profession is age-old.

I attempted to make a conscious appraisal and revisit, viewing dispassionately, how playing on the keyboard would be. After "listen to this" you had posted, I am just going to state: These are rules. Every rules have one or two exceptions.

[Talking about lawyers, let me give below how a lawyer laments - this was reported in Central Excise Law Times:

"The net of law is spread so wide,
No sinner from its sweep may hide,
Its meshes are fine and strong,
They take in every child of wrong.
Oh! Wondrous web of mystery,
Rich alone escape from thee".

The last line is pertinent ...especially in Tamil Nadu and more particularly in India].

Kaumaaram

arasi

Post by arasi »

:)

msakella

Post by msakella »

I wish many happy returns of the only Greatest Violin Maestro, MSG's birthday. I have always been a follower of him. The level of perfection he brings out is un-paralleled in the history of Indian Violin. be it Karnatak or Hindusthani, no matter.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

While I won't agree downright that MSG is the Greatest Violin Maestro, I will agree he is spectacular in his playing (and as bala747 pointed out, especially as an accompanist).

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

For sometime now, I kept thinking the violinist accompanying CBV in the Poomuli Navarathiri Series concerts was TN Krishnan but recently came to know that it was MS Gopalakrishnan! Can someone please confirm? The two concerts are available for download from http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~murthy/1 ... -2%20Parts and http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... bpns1.html. If it is MSG, I intend to listen to more of him from henceforth! As a sidenote, CBV's "thAyE yashOda" in both the concerts...what indescribable joy. We live in such comparatively lacklustre times.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

kumaran.nadesan wrote:violinist accompanying CBV in the Poomuli Navarathiri Series concerts was TN Krishnan but recently came to know that it was MS Gopalakrishnan! Can someone please confirm? .
it has to be MSG

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

kumaran.nadesan wrote:As a sidenote, CBV's "thAyE yashOda" in both the concerts...what indescribable joy. We live in such comparatively lacklustre times.
It is because of degeneration of values in this life we lead!
Last edited by kaumaaram on 06 Oct 2006, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I think it was Kandadevi Alagirisamy, not MSG in the concert that also has Rama Nee (Karaharapriya) and the Javali in Kamas.

--------------------------------------------------

The other "concert" - songs are not a from single concert, but from 2 different concerts. Upto song 11, it is from one concert, from song 12 (Mamava Pattabhirama onwards) is from another concert, although in both these concerts, the accompanists are MSG/TVG/Alangudi

For some known concerts/recordings of CVB (or CBV :D), see http://www.rasikas.org/chembai/chembairecordings.html

msakella

Post by msakella »

I always wish a longest life to Shri M.S.Gopalakrishnan, Violinist.
I am a Violinist. Since more than 40 years Shri MSG has been my Manasika Guru. May be in 1958 or 59, I first met him in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, when he gave a violin duet (Sri S.V.S.Narayanan accompanied them on Mridangam) along with his father Late Parur Shri Sundaram Iyer (prior to this incident I have been corresponding with him many a time and he has been very kind enough to reply to my letters affectioinately). Even at this first time I dared to play violin before this giant. He blessed me and told (in one way Ordered) 'Never take out the Violin without Metronome". He made me this Upadesha just like "Shiva Panchakshari' and till date I have been following it meticulously. There is no exaggeration if I tell that I have been benifitted a lot by this. People think that if we practice along with metronome we shall also become a like that machine, Metronome. It is not correct. Generally, people remain under the control of the language and there will be very few under whom the language itself remains under control. In the same manner, as far as my knowledge goes, he is the only Violinist upon earth under whom the Violin itself remains under the player's control. He can bring out any music, at any place, at any time with high perfection and precision. Even though I was not fortunate enough at all to be taught by him in person, beleive it not, his photograph, which he himself gave me at our fist meeting, taught me many things and I became able to play his finger technical thoughnot much of his music. Playing violin even removing the thumb from its original place and playing each Varnam in nearly 30 varieties are possible only in their style. He had made a mark in Violin play which cannot be surpassed by anybody. I am very fotunate enough to play some of these techniques with his kind blessings. LONG LIVE MSG SIR!
Last edited by msakella on 07 Oct 2006, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

<<beleive it not, his photograph, which he himself gave me at our fist meeting, taught me many things and I became able to play his finger technical >>

Unindexed concerts of Nednuri in the US in the 80s did have us confused about the identity of the violinist -then.
We now know that it was you who were playing alongside and you have solved the mystery completely - as far as the style in concerned !

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

playing each Varnam in nearly 30 varieties are possible only in their style.
Wow :rolleyes:

msakella

Post by msakella »

In 1974 I had the fortune of sitting beside him upon the stage in a Violin-duet concert at Hyderabad. I felt very glad that he, with great affection towards me, had permitted me to do so. Believe it or not, even to prepare myself to that concert, I have practiced the Ata-tala Varna itself in the raga Todi with Taanam-bow on the 2nd Madhya-shadja string for two months regularly for at least 3 hrs. a day along with 120 speed of Metronome. But, upon the stage, when the take-off speed itself of MSG was 120, somehow I could manage to follow him but without the Taanam-bow at all. And, on that day I realized that, in my lifetime, I will not get the depth even to play Shadja, when compared with him. When even professional Violinists cannot fathom the depth of MSG, I need not even think about Vocalists at all.amsharma.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Yes. I had the fortune of accompanying him in nearly 25 concerts arranged in Britain, Canada and US of which I could get only 10 of them. I shall be thankful if anybody can spare me a copy each of the remaining concerts, only to have my Guru, Shri Nedunuri's music but not for my violin accompaniment at all. amsharma.

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Tejasvi wrote:may be u havnt heard him playing CM. although it has a touch of HM it is pure carnatic raga-oriented. i got that WORLDSPACE. man! u should hear play the varnam SAVERI. u'll go numb
srkris wrote:Everyone (that I have heard speak about MSG) goes gaga about MSG's saveri varnam.
Could'nt resist writing this piece when key words are saaveri, HM, CM and Sri MSG. In my opinion the only piece missing, and missing distinctly here is Sri Voleti and the rendetion of Daridaapule (tyagaraja swamy kriti). Well, should I praise Voleti or MSG here. I will start with Voleti only. This piece is available in prasarbharathi CD of sri voleti. It is around 19 mins and 6mins of aalaap by Voleti followed by MSG for 5mins, then a soulful rendering of kriti for 4-5mins. Then the swarakalpana for 4-5 mins. Voleti being a master himself and connoisser of HM and CM, and being the vocalist, shows the way, sets the direction, if atall any one can match, that is sri MSG. MSG gleefully picks up everything, adds his own saaveri but always comes back to Voleti's rendetion, so that Voleti can resume next piece. Though at some places I wished , he reproduced exactly what Voleti sang. Especially, the HM style swaraas m....m...m...m ddpmgr srmm rmpd.....pmr (all mistakes in listening purely mine, if any). Tremendous and unparallel saveri rendetion. Hope all of you would enjoy.
My Sincere prayers to the god to give healthy, worry-free life to Sri MSG.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

hsuvarna

you wrote " Tremendous and unparallel saveri rendetion. Hope all of you would enjoy."

Please sir, would you please please please provide the download link ( Oliver Twist ?) !!

thank you

Sam

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Sam Swaminathan wrote:hsuvarna

you wrote " Tremendous and unparallel saveri rendetion. Hope all of you would enjoy."

Please sir, would you please please please provide the download link ( Oliver Twist ?) !!

thank you

Sam
That is not possible as it is commercial recording with rights by prasarBharathi. But you can but it in for $6.

http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/shopping/ca ... sp?catid=1
http://www.andhraonline.com/index.php?m ... 5292154d01

IN INDIA, YOU CAN BUT IT IN AIR OFFICE.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

The maestro in action
Great Shuddhadhanyasi - it's fascinating to watch the fingers in motion...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnxbn3JJbgo[/youtube]

prashant

Post by prashant »

Just a couple days ago I was in the car with my father who was playing an unlabeled mp3 CD. Nedunuri Garu had just finished a beautiful pUrvikalyANi. As the violin began the AlApanA we were quiet for a bit; somewhere in the AlApanA my father said 'AhA! MSG is really in form here'! I then informed him that the violinist was not MSG Sir but our respected Sharmaji. His playing, in the concerts that I have with me, really reveals that he has picked up a great deal from MSG Sir's technique and added it to his own store of knowledge. A great achievement!

ramarama

Post by ramarama »

a little surprising (and rather disturbing even given this rather erudite forum) that there is no mention of Dr N Rajam in this thread (or perhaps I just missed those posts?) that has touched on so many Hindustani violinists - surely, she is one of the leading violinists in North India - and many may know that she was a prime disciple of Omkarnath Thakur. She too began as a pure Carnatic artiste (I understand she was quite a regular accompanist for MSS at one point?) And she has played many of those ragas that Cool says MSG stays away from.

Sriram Parasuram does seem to have a great command over both styles - and ahh, yes, the wonderful Sakuntala Narasimhan - her lec-dems on comparisions of North and South Indian music would regularly win awards for best lec dem during the eighties. And I've heard concerts of hers in which she would smoothly traverse both styles - she might perhaps be the only vocalist at the A-grade level at AIR in both styles?

My dream jugalbandi concert would be one with MSG and N Rajam - for both of them have mastered both styles (you should hear recordings of N Rajam in Carnatic style from her early years to know how good she was) - but I doubt if either would agree - the next best might be to get Kala Ramnath or Sangeeta Shankar and Narmada together - but that might be like any other North and South jugalbandi.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Wow, you can clearly make out a tinge of hindustani in that video there...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

a little surprising (and rather disturbing even given this rather erudite forum) that there is no mention of Dr N Rajam in this thread (or perhaps I just missed those posts?)
On occasions I have mentioned the tragedy of Chennai never hosting this artist in serious concert engagements(except for the rare appearance at IIT)
On the face of it , it is a such a perfect story-
Sister of another great CM artist, having the guts to heed to the call of her inner voice -rather than just be another sister-performer ..and certainly giving a new dimension to this Instrument in the HM scenario.
Of all the HM violinists, She is certainly the most pleasant to hear - and just one look at her face can get me the effect of hours of meditation- Is there a more serene looking face in the concert circuit ?
Is there a more serene way of employing a second violin in HM ?
How often I have found it to be like a conversation between Mother and daughter ..

A truly great artist ignored by Chennai .Gorakh Kalyan, Chaithi,Kalavathi, Darbarai Kanada- so many images float past - but sadly all of them commercial tracks.cant upload.
Here is one concert version of Miya Malhar.though.
http://www.badongo.com/file/2433142
maybe a rare video clip , too.Later.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

I have heard that N Rajam's carnatic music is supposed to be unparalleled too. I once recorded a National Program of music concert of N Rajam.. The concert was from 11pm to 1:30am on the radio, but I recorded it it and listened to it umpteen times - I was such a pleasure to listen too. Unfortunately, after I came to the US, somehow some of the tapes I had recorded have either disappeared from home or overwritten. <sigh>!

We should start a thread on N Rajam.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

ramarama,

Wouln't that be lovely, getting MSG and N Rajam on a platform together. It's probably possible in a chamber arragement... <hint><hint> :)

sikrishnamachari

Post by sikrishnamachari »

Hi,
I am a late-comer to this group. I am a long time fan of MSG, and can say that I have observed the evolution of Parur style over the years. I have listened to the father and the two brothers playing like one. Obviously, the father was the fountainhead of the concept of Parur style, and MSG polished it well beyond the range for his contemporaries. In retrospect, it appears that the Parur Style was one grand plan of a new fingering technique to develop a continuity of notes - almost never lifting the fingers off the board.
It is somewhat odd that no posting here mentions his earliest 45 rpm records of Subhapantuvarali (Ne Pokata Kunte), Bahudhari (Brova Barama), Shuddha Dhanyasi (Entha Nerchina) -- all recorded in the early 1970s. These are examples of dramatic departure from the then prevalent fingering techniques, and offer a truly vocal-like rendering, continuity of note comparable to MDR, and rich tonal quality. In these records you can never tell when the bow reverses. I have heard a number of other violinists being credited for "I can hear the sahityam from his violinâ€

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

MSG, Dr M Narmada - Subramanyena - Suddhadhanyasi (Lyrics from Dr S Kalyanaraman @ RPI)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnxbn3JJbgo[/youtube][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfgeLbRM8k[/youtube]
Last edited by thanjavur on 12 May 2007, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

sbala

Post by sbala »

I've been listening to MSG's Bhavanutha for the last 2 days and it's almost like entering a new world of music. I got up today and read this thread to know more about the man and it reads like a biography, thanks to all of you who have experienced this great man's music. I have seen him perform only at KGS. Does he give regular performances these days? Sadly, I missed all the uploads.
Last edited by sbala on 09 Jun 2007, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

ANAND

Post by ANAND »

Dear MSG Rasika's

I am a new menmber of thios forum . MSG has been of great influence and impact in my life . I was a person who was not at interested in classical music and it was one sqturday AIR nationa l programme concert which changed my life , It is about 25 years back , and i still remember tht concert MSG with Narmada ... Natakuranji varnam , rama Bhakti .Sudha Bangala , sobillu , Rudra priya , Kalyani ragam ... great master piece .. followed by Yetha Unara .. . Sindhu bhairavi ..

This is the starting point of my quest for MSG 's music , his stage personality , the way he handles the violin , the smile , the joy in this face while playing , the simplicity , time management ,
perfectionist , composed , ...
can go on and on ..

MSG is a person who has never been behind success , he is a happy person , and is happy with the gift God has given him . I saw a write up from Prashant ( probably he is from near Uttam Society Chembur ) about the BARC concrt of 1988 , yes i was also present that day . Infact he was suffering from severe cough that day . Still i remember the RTP in Natakuranji , the Pantuvarali Shiva shiva.. , Thodi , .... . After the concert i sopke to him and told him that the cincert was great . He just smiled and told me '' God saved me today '' ..... This is true humbleness .

MSG might not have a great fan following ... as very few RAsika can understand that level of play ... even that small fan following are real music lovers you understand music .

I am also a violinist and my Email is anand.narayan@ basf.com

Good day ..... keep write to me on MSG ... it feels great to chat about him .

sbala

Post by sbala »

Nice to see more fans of this truly great vidwan. Recently heard a brilliant vatapi. Every sangathi is so perfect and clear.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

sbala wrote:I've been listening to MSG's Bhavanutha for the last 2 days and it's almost like entering a new world of music.
I once heard it for 2 weeks... :cool:
the alapana preceeding is in Bhoop and the ending kalpana swaras with hindustani style is also amazing.

Oh his Nattakurinji(varnam) is something!. Would like to hear a detailed piece in nattakurinji. Does anyone have it.
Last edited by Suji Ram on 20 Sep 2007, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

ANAND wrote:I saw a write up from Prashant ( probably he is from near Uttam Society Chembur ) about the BARC concrt of 1988 ,
I've been outed! :)

ANAND

Post by ANAND »

Dear All

I recently heard a Msg concert at Shanmukananda . But i feel very sad to see MSG sitting on a chair and playing the violin . It think he has a knee problem . I pray to God that MSG should have a long and healthy life and play Violin for many more years to come .

I have a request .

If any body has a video recoding of MSG concert , could you pls give me . I want to preserve this and pass it on to the next generation of young rasikas .

MSG's music is a proces of studing music ...... How to elaborate a RAGA , use Gamakas , play gamakas in one string ( to give more depth to the gamak ) etc

I personally learned a lot by listening to hrs and hrs of MSG .

Pls reply to me on anand.narayan@basf.com

Anand

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

ANAND wrote:MSG's music is a proces of studing music ...... How to elaborate a RAGA , use Gamakas , play gamakas in one string ( to give more depth to the gamak ) etc
Exactly. There are very few violinists that have the kind of control on their instrument as MSG has... some of his concerts are simply "blistering" - for want of a better word. Pure ability.

arasi

Post by arasi »

And so precise in each and every note...

ANAND

Post by ANAND »

Dear MSG Rasika's

I developed my alapana singing after listening to MSG , the manner with which he elaborates the RAAGA is worth learning . My swara knowledge also become better because of continuous listening of MSG's Music
Once i had an opportunity to talk to Mysie Nagaraj , and he told me that

"Even if i practise violin for 500 years , i cannot achieve the mastery that MSG has . "

Once i spoke to Narmada about MSG and she told me

"my father is like a mountain in the field of violin play , and that when i accompany him , I feel that I am playing in front of a gaint in violin playing . "

MSG is great and Most important .... very simple , God loving , and down to earth .. Very particular about TIME ,.... will start his concert on time and end on time ... Seems to be a very self satisfied person, happy with what GOD has given him ...

Anand

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

btw, what does "M" stand for is MSG?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Ninja, your question got me interested. In that process of searching for an answer, I read up a lot about Parur Sundaram Iyer, MSA, MSG etc. Quite interesting. But still could not find what 'M' stands for. 'M' may not stand for their native village since that is 'Parur'. Also Parur Sundaram Iyer did not use 'M'. But All descendent after Sundaram Iyer use that including Ms. Narmada. One wild guess is 'Mylapore' since the children of Sundaram Iyer grew up there.

While searching for Parur, I found this book which turned out to be an interesting reading. It is about Carnatic Violin and has some mentions of the Parur style, so it is sort of relevant to this thread. But there is lot of material here which can spawn a discussion of its own. If that happens, we can move it to its own thread.

http://books.google.com/books?id=fMg7aK ... 6I#PPP1,M1

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

vk, interestingly, I did exactly the same thing - wondering if they had "M" after Madras or something... Just wanted to know...

VERY interesting book, that... I was absorbed when it suddenly said that some pages were not part of the book prereview!!!! Will prob. try to get it... Liked the story of Johannes... Wonder who that is?

vasanthakokilam

I guess that is the idea behind the Google preview. It gives you so much for free and when things get interesting and to a cliff hanger, they are not available. Yes, it seems worthwhile to get the book. I am thinking of asking my local public library to buy the book, they have been pretty good with my requests so far.

There are so many anecdotes and names of yesteryear musicians that appear in the book. I have never heard of this book before. It just snuck up on me. Violin plays a major role throughout the book. Certain things in the book are definitely controversial . In addition, it overinterpret the meaning behind how Violin became this Grand Uniter of East and West and how it ushered CM into modernity etc. ( I guess that is how any thesis in general is ).

I have not finished reading the preview of the book and I want to see how the main theme of the book which is 'Politics of CM' is interwoven with Violin. If I just read the title, that might have sounded very dull but the approach the author has taken is quite broad and covers quite a bit of CM history going back to 1800 and before. Now I am curious what else is there in that famed Saraswathi Mahal Library that is relevant to CM, especially as it applies to the Trinity and Pre-Trinity composers and state of CM at that time.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks VK for that reference.
very interesting!
I would love to know more about it. let me know if you traced the book some where.

vasanthakokilam

Suji: Here are the details about the book. If you want your public library to carry this book or get it as a loaner from another library, this is all the information you would need: http://www.dukeupress.edu/books.php3?is ... 223-3620-4

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks VK for the book detail.
Indeed voice in music is so unique to Indianess....

mohan

Post by mohan »

The 'M' in MSA/MSG stands for Madras.

VK - thanks for the book reference - i've ordered it!

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

vasanthakokilam wrote:I guess that is the idea behind the Google preview. It gives you so much for free and when things get interesting and to a cliff hanger, they are not available.
You can get around this a bit with multiple searches. For example, this link

http://books.google.com/books?id=fMg7aK ... j1GV0e5mdY

shows page 37 which is hidden in the original link.

Unfortunately, this is not much more informative in this case...

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

The M in MSG /MSA stands for Mylapore supposedly...
Sathej

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Mylapore or Madras? Hi, sathej you could ask your guru itself if he woudl not mind.

kgopin

Post by kgopin »

It is Madras only. MSG himself told this in one of his TV interviews (Vanakkam Thamizhagam in Sun TV)

vaibhavam

Post by vaibhavam »

msg is one violinist who is one of a kind in this century...
a very rare unique specimen....