Compositions that reflect contemporary themes.

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

On the MLV song in English and Tamil, Tamil sounded more natural than English. Even in Tamil, when you sing MLV, that sounds odd. So I am so conditioned not to associate CM and English, I suppose.

I agree CM should be able to exist with English lyrics. At a technical lyrical level, the so called 'vowel movement' ;) is different in English, may be it can be smoothed over. The singer-songwriters who write songs in English, consider these things: a) It is too easy to write cheesy lyrics, so they fight with that b) Pick words with good vowel placements so music can be fitted with the emotional expression in tact c) Less words the better..CM songs, especially the Tamil ones, tend to be rich in word count..( Saint Thyagaraja is an exception )

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

By all means Suji
send it to me
cmlover100@yahoo.ca

The more we try we 'll sure succeed!

I agree with you VK
We have to get that magic wordings that will work. I can easily do it in Sanskrit and Tamil but in English the mind automatically shifts gears. But let us give it a try!

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear MNS

I am sure you have found the song you are looking for. DRS could have composed in one of those rare Asampoorna Mela of MD. But he is currently verry busy engaged in taking care of the earth (PruthvI). I have whipped up a lyric which if you like you can try! The ideas are deep philosophical. Again I have chosen the raga not handled by the Trinity.
Here it is..

shrI gurubhyO namaH||
Thank you very much CML. I am sorry I somehow missed this post and only saw it now. I am unable to download this right now but will listen to this shortly and get back to you. Thank you once again.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear CML, just listened to the composition. It is excellent, both sAhityam and tune. I will try this over the weekend.

Thank you very much.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Nice MNS!

Now we are all ears to hear it in your golden voice!
regards...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK
The experiment continues. Thanks to Suji for the inspiration. I think the choice of the Raga is important from linguistic (and emotional) perspective. Just look at the following. Comments please...

Raga : BowLi Mela: (15) MAyAmALava gowLA
aro SRGPDS' avaro S'NDPGRS

Morning Hymn (Suji Inspired)

Streaming from the sun the rays are pouring
Waking me to start the day His grace admiring
Brings me out to the opens strange fascination
To show me the miracle of His creation

Here is my crude attempt
http://rapidshare.de/files/24569098/Bowli.mp3.html

I hope the mood would be wonderment rather than 'bhakti' unlike that from any 'suprabhatam'!

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Nice MNS!

Now we are all ears to hear it in your golden voice!
regards...
Dear CML, thanks for the encouragement. In the charaNam, is it incorrect to render it as

nAsti pUjA gurvArAdhanam

by omitting "param"?

Also, is it possible to maybe move this discussion to a seperate thread as this is probably deviating from the topic of this thread?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

No problem!
nAsti pUjA gurvArAdhanam
is perfect
nAsti pUjA guOrArAdhanam
will also be appropriate. The 'param' indeed is redundant!

We need not move this thread since this is meant for 'contemporary compositions'. Any philosophical or linguistic issues may be discussed in the language section!

vasanthakokilam

CML, the Suji-inspiried Bowli works for me a lot better....Good idea with the picture... even before I read the lyrics and listened to the song, I focussed on it to get into the mood. Great!!

Now, a couple of points..

1) For Version 2...it will be better if, for the same words, there is more music. Meaning, increase the duration of the song for the same words. May be split each line into half and hold on to the vowels longer...

2) I was thinking about an example from the 'singer/songwriter genre' with a good density of words and that still has enough 'space'. Here is a song I like for the phrasings ( though I still do not know what the lyrics are about ;) ).

This is by Neko Case ( Album: Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, track: Margaret vs. Pauline ). Note: This song has nothing to do with CM.

Lyrics and then the link to the music sample ( Neko Case's ). Do not listen to the music first...Focus on the lyrics and how you will tune it musically, which words you will extend and how etc.. Then listen to the piece.

Lyrcis:

Everything's so easy for Pauline
Ancient strings set feet a light to speed to her such mild grace
No monument of tacky gold
They smoothed her hair with cinnamon waves
And they placed an ingot in her breast to burn cool and collected
Fate holds her firm in its cradle and then rolls her for a tender pause to savor

http://rapidshare.de/files/24584490/01_ ... t.mp3.html

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear CML, please let me know what you think

http://rapidshare.de/files/24633716/bha ... L--MNS.mp3

Again this is my first one in bhagEsri so there are chances I may have deviated. Any corrections/suggestions greatly appreciated.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Superb MNS!
Bagesri is bubbling in your rendering. It is indeed elevating with the clear sahitya enunciation that you have! The mood is just divine!
You are singing
nAsti tIrtham parama pAdOdakam which is also correct and means 'There is no holy water other than the 'supreme' water washed off his feet'

Thank you for the treat and Good Luck with your Guru PourNima performance!

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear CML, thank you very much.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK

I was bowled over! The lyric is like a dirge, and I was looking for pathos. My first thought was mukhAri which will not fit; and then thought of ahiri and again the lyric would not fit. Then out of curiosity I heard the audio. The start of the music is 'dirge-like' but the lyric is just rushed through leaving no time to focus on poor Pauline. Too many words in too short a time and nary a long note! I could not find any ghost of CM lurking anywhere!

Now give me you/others views!

Time permitting I will u/l something interesting today/tomorrow!

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Dear CML, please let me know what you think

http://rapidshare.de/files/24633716/bha ... L--MNS.mp3
Excellent!

BTW: Are you a professional musician, and/or do you give public performances ?

Best Wishes,
SR

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Excellent!
Thanks SR.
BTW: Are you a professional musician, and/or do you give public performances ?

Best Wishes,
SR
Neither, but I wish I was :). I am an ardent CM fan and trying to learn as much as possible from you learned forum members. Thanks for your encouragement.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK

Here is the song immortalized by Rodgers and Hammerstein. I have tried to carnatize it (of course no orchestra). Try and guess the raga!

Song: The Sound of Music Lyrics

The hills are alive with the sound of music
With songs they have sung for a thousand years
The hills fill my heart with the sound of music
My heart wants to sing every song it hears

My heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds
that rise from the lake to the trees
My heart wants to sigh like a chime that flies
from a church on a breeze
To laugh like a brook when it trips and falls over
stones on its way
To sing through the night like a lark who is learning to pray

I go to the hills when my heart is lonely
I know I will hear what I've heard before
My heart will be blessed with the sound of music
And I'll sing once more

Now you may remember the original version which unfortunately I can't u/l being commercial. But you may have heard it hundreds of times.

Now here is my version
http://rapidshare.de/files/24668385/Sou ... c.mp3.html

I had to take liberty with the accents not to 'kill' the language of the lyrics!

Folks!
Is it worthwhile to continue ;)

vasanthakokilam

CML, I listened to your sound of music rendition. Great try at CMizing that song...The phrasings are getting better...We will call it 'reinterpretation' of the famous original....I can't quite get at the raga, though when I hummed by extending your piece, it landed me in the kAnaDa family, may be darbAri kAnaDA...What did you have in mind?

I picked that Neko Case song for the reason you mentioned, lot of words than usual and I wanted to see how the western phrasing works compared to ours. Adapting english lyrics with Indian music and making it sound natural for Indians is a tough job. For example, a colleague of mine likes one of those Beattles song with Sitar and almost Indian style singing. For me, that song sounds very odd.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK
The meLkarta is right. I was subconsciously thinking Abheri (bhImplAs). Think of DKP's famous 'kaNNan madhura ithazhai...' I did add a alight echo to get the 'hills' effect! Also I totally ignored thaaLam and focussed on the lyric to maintain the spirit. I followed the Abheri phrases even for the fast passages which was tough. I wonder whether somebody else also tries; even a different raga perhaps!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK
Tried your suggestion!
(WARNING! NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED ;) )
http://rapidshare.de/files/24745879/Sou ... 1.mp3.html

comments...

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

(WARNING! NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED )
Ha ha

So much tekkie!!!!

vasanthakokilam

VK
Tried your suggestion!
(WARNING! NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED ;) )
http://rapidshare.de/files/24745879/Sou ... 1.mp3.html

comments...
CML, that sounded very good. Immediately "marudamalai maamaNiyE murugaiyaa" sprang up in our mind... not just due to the raga but your style of rendering as well. Congratulations..

arasi

Post by arasi »

Started reading this thread--fascinating--though I wish I had a knowledge of sanskrit to appreciate the outpouring of a young bard...

Bravo, cmlover...elle est la reine de musique, est vous-etes le roi de poesie! cMLoVer--o la la! (She is the queen of music and you the king of verse, cMLoVer--oh dear!)
Enough of my feeble attempt at french.
The language lends itself to cm. So will Italian.
I hummed your morning hymn in Bowli and it flows.

VK, I don't know what your 'Pauline' song sounds like, but I sang it in Bhagesri, liked it, and was reminded of Norwegian Woods. More in a remembrance mode than as a dirge. Begins with: da da da madanI dama garisa.

A related subject: as children, we not only transposed the words in a film song (mARRU bhAshai), we freely translated them in modified English (the language not being as supple for a Tamizh song):

From Chandralekha--
Aaaaaa deerum peacockum dansum parku
(Aaaaaa mAnum mayilum ADum solai)
evening good timu great river sidu
(mAlai nanEram mAnadi Oram)
dreamE sIyinanE (couldn't improve on it!)
my love dreamE sIyinanE
(kanavE kaNDEnE, ennAsai kanavE)

fullu moonu like his facE EEEE
new flower eyesE honey-like speechE
(pUrana chandran pOl avan mugamE
pudu malar vizhiyE madu nigar mozhiyE)
thoughtum dreamum you enrAnE
person-il comminAn, heartil freezinAn
(ninaivum kanavum nI enRAnE
nErinil vandAn, nenjil uRaindAn)

No rhyme or reason in this I suppose, but it shows how children find their own ways of expression, merrily altering things, adapting, and having a lot of fun in the process...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arasi!
I simply could not resist ;)
http://rapidshare.de/files/24832312/Maa ... m.mp3.html

You must pardon the plagiarism ;)

Incidentally the original was sung by Bhanumati in the movie 'Apoorva sahOdararkaL' to the accompaniment of the Piano. a novelty at that time!

I have changed 'love' to 'lovE' to balance the word count!

cheers....

vasanthakokilam

VK, I don't know what your 'Pauline' song sounds like, but I sang it in Bhagesri, liked it, and was reminded of Norwegian Woods. More in a remembrance mode than as a dirge. Begins with: da da da madanI dama garisa.

Any possibility of an upload of that? Bhagesri is also in CML's court and he can try it and see how well it matches yours!!

BTW, did you listen to that Neko Case's clip of Pauline I posted? Just for grins..

arasi

Post by arasi »

A Happy Fourth of July, all!

cMLoVer,
What fun, except I feel like a 'paTTikkADu' in 'paTTaNam' (a country mouse in a metropolis). This dinosaur (technologically speaking) can only read and type, not hear or record. I'm missing a lot. Some day, I might get there.
Of course, the song is not from Chandralekha (my memory played tricks, could only recall early S.S.Vasan). The moment you said 'apurva sahodarargal'('Corsican Brothers' remake), I could hear Bhanumathi's
charming voice singing it. My favorite from the film--'laDDu laDDU miTTAi vENumA?' aside, is the sylvan hymn--'manamOhanamE vana vAsamE'!
'A maragatha pullaNi manjam than mIdE paniththuLi tunjum
veNNilavilathan oLI minjum, adai vairam kaNDanjum'.

arasi

Post by arasi »

VK,
My post to cMLoVer would explain why I did not hear your 'Pauline' song. I am wondering whether the reason for the wise man to choose his pseudonym was because it includes the name of the nightingale (who inspires him to sing of her in all languages possible). Pleases me to point this out, since he still enjoys making (fun) poetry on the 'spring cuckoo episode'...

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks CML so much for the Morning Hymn,
I had exactly the same tune in my mind when I suggested Bowli. You did change the words to fit with the tune.
And a great picture to go with it. I also painted one like that for my poetry!

I was away in BC and was delighted to hear your rendition on return.
keep them coming...

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

The next composition presented is in honor of Dr. Abdul Kalam, eleventh President of India.

SrI kalAmam kalayAmi (2005)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v682wj

kAmavardhanirAgE rUpakatAlEna gIyatE

pallavi

SrI kalAmam kalayAmi rAshtrapAlam A- |
SritajanamandAram dhIratamam AryalalAmam ||

anupallavi

SrIkaram atyadbhutavAntarikshayantrakAram |
SrEyOmayaguNayuktam upagrahapramOcakam ||

caraNam

rAgavarjitabrahmacAriNam pRthvyagnyAdibrahmAstrajanakam |
rAmabhaktam rAmESvarajAtam mahEndraprasthanivAsam ||
rAgadvEshaviyuktam varavINAvAdananipuNam nATaka- |
rAgakAvyapriyam yuvajanamAnasollAsakam naranAyakam ||

Translation

I reflect upon Kalam, who is the protector of the State,
Who is the support of those who seek refuge,
Who is the best of the wise, Who is the pinnacle of noblemen.

Who brings prosperity, Who is a wonderful aerospace engineer,
Who is endowed with the best qualities, Who is the launcher of satellites.

Who is a brahmachari devoid of desires, Who is the father of missiles such as Prithvi and Agni,
Who is a devotee of Rama, Who was born in Ramesvaram, Who resides in great Indraprastha,
Who is detached from passions and enmity, Who is adept in the auspicious vina,
Who is fond of nataka (drama), raga (music), and kavya (poetry),
Who exhilarates the minds of young people, Who is a leader of men.
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 20 Dec 2007, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Dear MNS

I am sure you have found the song you are looking for. DRS could have composed in one of those rare Asampoorna Mela of MD. 1..
I have posted my kRti- gurukRpa illAde in kharaharapriya in the thread on my compositions

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255&start=1400

arasi

Post by arasi »

sangeet rasik,
Thanks for a delightful composition on a great man. With your translation, I could relish it even more. I won't stop humming ''sri kalAmam kalayAmi' at least for the next few days!
Bharathi sang of many heroes (laudable women too) to inspire us to try and emulate their ways... ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Well done SR!
Nice choice of epithets! You have coined appropriate words for the modern inventions. Is there in addition to p^RithvI and agni, a brahmAstra too in the Indian armoury?(Of course we don't want the Americans to know about it ;) ). kaLAM of course is an expert in the use of the sammOhanAstram ;)

Await the audio!

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Arasi and CML,

Thanks! The recording will be uploaded soon.
Is there in addition to p^RithvI and agni, a brahmAstra too in the Indian armoury?(Of course we don't want the Americans to know about it ;) ).
Prithvi and Agni are the current publicly known "brahmastras" which carry "nukular" weapons. However, the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) developed by Kalam and colleagues could be converted to an ICBM. Some believe that Narasimha Rao tested the ICBM in the 1990s in the guise of a "failed PSLV launch".
kaLAM of course is an expert in the use of the sammOhanAstram ;)
Heh heh - indeed. Despite being a bachelor, President Kalam has no lack of female admirers, which confirms that his "brahmacharya" is of the genuine "kamavarjita" variety, not the other (e.g. "svayamsambhoga") varieties ! :cheesy:

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ha ha indeed!
In that case just change the second line of pallavi to
strIjanamandAram dhI ratamAtmArAmam|
and the first word of caraNam to 'kAmArtitabrahmacAriNam' ;)
'

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

The recording of the kriti "SrI kalAmam" in kamavardhani, is now uploaded (please see relevant post on page 6).

Best Wishes,
SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

very nice!
I hope Hon President gets to hear it!

Just note that
vAntarikSha would be vAnta (ejected) + antarikSha(atmoshphere) = vAntAntarikSha (by sandhi rules!

regards

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Sangeet Rasik:

Please post your composition to:
presidentofindia@rb.nic.in

Kaumaaram

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

CML, kaumaaram,

Thanks! I will look into getting the President to listen to it. ;)
Just note that
vAntarikSha would be vAnta (ejected) + antarikSha(atmoshphere) = vAntAntarikSha (by sandhi rules!
regards
"vAntAntariksha" would mean "ejected into atmosphere".
"vAntariksha" means "aerospace".

The "vigraha" (analysis) of "vAntariksha" is "va" (air) + "antariksha" (space) = "vAntariksha", i.e. "air-and-space" or "aerospace". This is taken as a samAhAra dvandva samAsa. See, e.g., Apte - first entry under "va" is "va = air".

This 20th-century Sanskrit word is also used by the Hindi grammarians since the rules of samAs in Hindi vyakaran are very similar. E.g., the Hindi word for "aerospace engineering" is "vAntariksha yAntrikI".

SR

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear SR, excellent composition and rendition.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Dear SR, excellent composition and rendition.
Thanks! I appreciate the attention of the discerning rasiks of CMF.

Note a couple of points for the technically oriented:

1. Each pada of the caraNam covers 5 (not 4 as in pallavi-anupallavi) tala avartanas (of 3 beats each). This is fine if one takes rupaka tala as 3 beats, but not if one takes the conventional definition of suladi rupaka tala (6 beats). Those who are nonplussed by this can render the kRti in trisra eka tala.

2. In the caraNam, the prasa (and even the optional yati) is not exact. The prasa consonant appears to "change" from "ma" to "ga", although all the preceding vowels are correctly dirgha ("kA" and "rA"). The reason is that the original composition had the caraNam beginning with "rAgavarjitabrahmacAriNam". Thus:

1) the prasa and yati were both fully satisfied,
2) there is a play (yamaka) on the word "rAga" which occurs thrice in the same place,
3) "rAgadvEshaviyukta" is a construct peculiar to the bhagavadgita, which Kalam reads daily.

However, I could not resist using "kamavarjita" since it gives the ragamudra (albeit not perfectly). Maybe a case of trying to do everything at once! This is deliberate - and in some sense illustrates the increasing difficulty of dealing with "contemporary" themes effectively within the confines of "classical" rules. If rasiks prefer "rAgavarjita" I shall change it.

SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

SR
Nice to note those subtle points.
You mean it is rUpaka thaaLam khaNDa nadai, am I right?
Nice to weave in subtly kalAm's catholicism and his familiarity with gIta!

I undertand he was a third generation Hindu convert!

Also liked your using the modern sanskrit (coined) terrms. Do explain them when you use them!

regards

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

This is a very special composition. I conceived it out of an inspiration rather than claiming that I worked on it. Nor am I capable of expressing in words the one who is 'nirvacanIyaM'.

Homage to the Father of Our Nation

raga Abheri mELa (22) kharaharapriya
aro SGMPNS' avaro S'NDPMGRS

gAndhiM bhArata bhUShaNaM guNanidhiM
gItArtha bOdhakaM varaM
nyAyyasthaM karuNAkaraM naravaraM
rAmapriyaM dhArmikaM
manujEndraM satyasantaM shyAmaLaM
shAntamUrttiM
vandE lOkAbhirAmaM A^NgLa bhayaharaM
bApujiM dEshabandhuM

Here is the audio as my pilot attempt
http://rapidshare.de/files/25374218/gAndhim.mp3.html
(Dear MNS! pl try it with your imagination if you please!)

I shall post the annotations later. The lyric is simplicity itself.
Now may I also request SR (or anybody else) to compose an appropriate kriti in abhEri! Thanks

If the viruttam as well as lyrics remind you of DKJ-MC as well as rAmakarNAmritam then it is no accident. That was indeed a magnificent performance (perhaps the phrase 'konnuTTEL pOngO' by DKJ to MC, a compliment higher than SK will remind you!). I would like to u/l the viruttam but I am not sure whether it is commercial (meena! Please help!).

If you have not heard it your viruttam audition in CM is incomplete ;)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML,
I was expecting sooner or later one on Bapuji from you.
Very nice to hear.
Do try a full composition.

SR,
Heard your comp. on Man Mohan Singh and Kalam. Interesting...
Please do provide notations when you have time.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Annotation

1. gAndhi is the family name. It is difficult to get a derived meaning for some of the names. Since he was a vaishyA probably some of his ancestors were dealers in pefumes (gandha) who were traditionally called gAndhika.

2. gItArtha bOdhakaM, This refers to Gandhi's lifelong attachment to the tenets of Gita. Even as a child he memorized many of the verses(as he mentions in his autobiography) and he later wrote an elaborate commentary in Gujarati (which was translated into English by Mahadeva Desai 'The gospel of selfless actions or The Gita According to Gandhi' Navajivan Press, Ahmedabad). Gandhiji's interpretation of Gita is novel and an an eye-opener and formed the foundation of his teachings regarding Satyagraha (civil disobedience), ahimsa (nonviolence) and untouchability.

3. nyAyyasthaM . The word 'nyAyya' denotes fundamental rights.
nyAyyE tiShThati yO (one who stands for fundamental rights)
In fact Gandhi is the pioneer in that area with his experiments against racism during his stay at South Africa. Martin Luther King acknowledges Gandhi as his inspiration for his well-known Civil Rights fight against 'colour barrier' in the West.

4. karuNAkaraM, This does not need much elaboration. But Gandhiji was the messenger of Universal Love and Compassion. He was the true follower of the preachings of Buddha and Christ in this respect and he lived those teachings as was shown by several instances in his life.

5 rAmapriyaM. Gandhiji's lifelong devotion to Rama is well-known. He was introduced to Tulsi Ramayana by his mother from his very early days. Yet again the last word he spoke was 'Hey Ram'!

6. dhArmikaM. Gandhiji respected law and order at all times and belived that Freedom should be won through dhArmik means, through a change of heart than through a convulsive revolution as it occurred in many other parts of the world!

7. satyasantaM. Ever since he saw in his childhood a street act on Harishcandra Gandhiji vowed to himself that he would never deviate from the path of 'satya'. He describes in his autobiography his whole life as 'an experiment with Truth'.

8. shyAmaLaM . Not that he was dark in colour. But the meaning is the subtle reference to his fight for the rights of the coloured people all over the globe.

9. lOkAbhirAmaM means one who pleases/or affectionate to the whole world.

10. A^NgLa bhayaharaM. The dominance of the English (Whites) were known as the 'White peril' (A^NgLabhayaM). The myth of the invincibility and superiority of the English was very real among the masses during the early part of the 20th Century after Queen Victoria was crowned as the 'Empress of India'. It took a mammoth effort on the part of Gandhiji who travelled the length and breadth of Bharat to explode that myth!

11. bApujiM. is the term of endearment by which Gandhiji was referred to by all the children in India!

12. dEshabandhuM. He is related to every one of us in India. After all is he not the Father of the Nation!

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

You mean it is rUpaka thaaLam khaNDa nadai, am I right?
Correct...it is khandagati/nadai. Can be convenient for "neraval" on the first line of the caranam.
Also liked your using the modern sanskrit (coined) terrms. Do explain them when you use them!
Will do.

SR

arasi

Post by arasi »

cmlover,
'konnuTTEL, pongO!'. Not in the Natu Ram sense--au contraire, you have breathed life into the switched-off memory cells of our awareness. The Mahatma lives in your lines. Thanks for the meaning which of course reaches those of us who are not-well-versed in sanskrit. Not a word is wasted, and the short poem is rich in meaning. Bravo!

Can desha be plural here and include all of humanity (grammatically?)

'gandhi' means a spice merchant. This is what I heard Ben Kingsley say in an interview soon after he played the great man. His grandfather too was a 'gandhi', he said, a 'bhaNji'--merchant of spices (Kingsley's given name
was Krishna Bhanji). 'bhaNE narasayo' comes to mind...

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Homage to the Father of Our Nation
CML, nice composition and rendering along with detailed translations. I found your use of "shyamalam" interesting and it turned out to have a subtle meaning. I have not composed on Gandhiji myself - you beat me to it! I will surely do so in the future.

Best Wishes,
SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks arasi/SR

for the informative comments!
(song on Bapuji is special for me as I was previleged to spend some time with him!)

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

The next composition is in honor of Swami Chinmayananda, the great Advaitic sage of the 20th century.

cinmayAnandasya bhaktO bhavAmi (2000)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3h80ei

vasantarAgE miSracAputAlEna gIyatE

pallavi

cinmayAnandasya bhaktO bhavAmi |
cinmAtrasya mAyAvIdvaitatamOharasya ||

anupallavi

vAngmayabhAshyakArasya Sankarasya |
vEdOpanishadrahasyaprakASakasya ||

caraNam

brahmaprajnAnavyAptasya kOvidasya |
brahmAtmaikatvasambOdhakasya ||
nAmarUpapanCakOSamuktasya tasya |
nAyakakulajAtasya brahmAsmItibuddhasya ||
kAmArthasarvatyaktasya kumkumavarNAmbaradharasya |
kEraLadESaputrasya himAlayanivAsasya ramaNasya ||

Translation

I am a devotee of Chinmayananda,
Of him who is pure consciousness (cinmAtra),
Of him who dispels the darkness of illusory duality [1].

Of him who is an eloquent commentator, Of him who is auspicious,
Of him who throws light upon the secrets of the upanishads of the veda.

Of him who is pervaded by brahman-consciousness [2], Of him who is learned,
Of him who enlightens (us) of the unity of Brahman and Atman [3],
Of him who is free of names, forms, and the five sheaths [4a], Of That (tat) [4b],
Of him who is born in the clan of Nayakas, Of him who knows that 'I am Brahman' [5],
Of him who has renounced all desires and wealth, Of him who wears saffron-hued robes,
Of him who is a son of Kerala, Of him who resides in the Himalayas, Of him who pleases.

Notes

[1] Reference to duality caused by mAyA; also Ref. to the dualist schools of Indian philosophy.

The first four lines of the caraNam encapsulate the four mahAvAkyas (Great Utterances) of the Upanishads:

[2] Ref. to the mahAvAkya 'prajnAnam brahma' (aitareya up.)
[3] Ref. to the mahAvAkya 'ayamAtmA brahma' (mANDUkya up.)
[4a and 4b] Ref. to the mahAvAkya 'tat tvam asi' (chhAndOgya up.) and its context.
[5] Ref. to the mahAvAkya 'aham brahmAsmi' (bRhadAraNyaka up.)
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 20 Dec 2007, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Wow! Wonderful.

Dear SR, please give us a brief sketch about yourself. Also, a picture to go along with that would be great :)

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

(Dear MNS! pl try it with your imagination if you please!)
Sorry CML, I tried it but it didn't come out well so didn't post it.