Compositions that reflect contemporary themes.

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks folks for the comments. Perhaps I was trying to gild the lily. The picture alone can say it all! Doesn't it look like his asking : 'Now what can I do for you?'.

My inspiration for composing this came from a poem that I had memorized in my younger days (perhaps not even taught these days!) of 'Abou Ben Adhem' by Leigh Hunt (1784-1859). Read it at
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/153.html

arasi

Post by arasi »

cmlover,
How we agree! 'May his tribe increase!' I had said earlier in a post about coolji and surely, the poem did make an imprint on our young minds, didn't it?) Now, the younger ones get to know the poem too.
Speaking of the young, who is the model in the pic you posted (pasted?)with anga vastram and all?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Shankar,
nammiDai sEvakan tan seyalgaLAl kaDavuL ena Agi ninRAn.
(amidst us the sEvak, by virtue of his deeds came to represent godliness)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

UdayalUr KalyANarAman!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
You have that right!
Ravi

gb_rajasekar

Post by gb_rajasekar »

Dr Sir,

Pls do not compare myself with the other great donors. I have been taking 200 times more than what I have been giving. And again, what I am giving is not mine alone, but given to me by others. I always feel that my seva is like that of Anil to Rama in the Sethu building to Lanka.

Coolkarniji deserves whatever you say about him. But we all of us have one great thing in common. We share what we value. A very noble deed indeed. I can name a few people, from whom I have bought music of my own father, and another person claiming to have some rare records is not even willing to sell a copy of it even for money. I do not want to name them. It takes all types of people to make the world. Let us continue our good deed with humility as what we are doing is not only for our pleasure but a bank for the future rasikas and students to draw from as we now have the technique to preserve things for long periods.

I have had the pleasure of meeting him everytime he comes to Bangalore, and I cherish every meeting.

The other person who has made all this possible is Mr Prasad of Bangalore who does the basic work of tabulation, changing of formats, tagging, copying etc, but never wants to put his name on anything.
A real Kudathukkul Vilakku.(But the brightness is 100W)

Any of you from the forum is welcome to meet us when u come to Bangalore. Possibly we can improve on areas which we lack with your contribution.

Rgds
Rajasekar

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear GBR:
Touched by your humility. A single recording of GNB donated is worth all the CM in the world. Besides you have been sharing with us invaluable information about the lives of GNB (in relation to other greats too!) for which we cannot adequately thank you. Please don't underestimate the respect and gratitude that we have at the Forum towards you. The story of the aNil that you mentioned sparks the 'nakulOpAkhyAnaM' mentioned in Mahabharata (which many may not know).
After his victory YudhiShTira celebrated an Ashvameda sacrifice. It was so grand that even the water from the washing of hands of the guests was running like a river. As he was overcome with pride he was trying to point out his greatness to Lord KriShNa who smilingly invited his attention to the act of a mangoose (nakula) who was repeatedly jumping in and out of the river of waters. Curiously half of the body of the mangoose was golden the other half was normal. A puzzled YudhiShTira asked the mangoose to explain. The animal said that once there was guest (atithi)who approached a poor family for alms. They did not have enough food for one person which was being shared by three, the man, his wife and his old mother. The man willingly gave his share to the guest which was inadequate and his wife willingly contributed her share. Finding him hungry still the old mother donated her share too. There was a small puddle of water where the guest had wahsed his hand and the mangoose said as he touched that puddle half his body became golden. Since the water was inadequate for his whole body he was seeking a 'gift' of similar merit but found the 'great sacrifice of YudhiShTira' wanting! It is not the magnitude of the 'gift' that matters but the 'intention' is all that matters.

Coolkarni shares everything (barring those with commercial restrictions) that he has or receives with Rasikas without any reserve! Many at the Forum though they don't know the identity are aware of the invisible existence of mahanubhavas like Prasad who make these sharings of joy possible. Let me simply add on behalf of all:
'kulkarNi namaskAraH sarva dEvaM prati gaccati!'

Regards
CML

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

I am back. The recording of "atirathais trayais" (ragamalika) is now uploaded at the relevant post (on page 8 ).

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

CML,

A fine composition honoring the contributions of Shashi Kulkarni, a "maharasika". There are "rasikas" and then there are "maharasikas". One may say that their contribution to shastriya sangeet as as important as that of the vaggeyakaras and vidwans.

Best Wishes,
SR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Welcome back SR
Enjoyed the nice Ragamaika! Pl post the ciTTa svarams too which are quite nice1

Long ago I had compared coolkarni to Sabari since every link that he posts is personally listened and relished by him and we can take it that they are the BEST. Hence your charaterization as 'mahArasika' (note 'mahat' in componds becomes 'mahA'(see also special use in Pan 2.1.61)) is quite appropriate!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Long ago I had compared coolkarni to Sabari since every link that he posts is personally listened and relished by him and we can take it that they are the BEST
Ah.. sweet...

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Pl post the ciTTa svarams too which are quite nice1
Done!
Hence your charaterization as 'mahArasika' (note 'mahat' in componds becomes 'mahA'(see also special use in Pan 2.1.61)) is quite appropriate!
Yes I meant "mahArasika" (I avoid transliteration in regular posting).

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks
My comment related to the special use of 'mahat'
sanmahatparamOttamOtk^RiShTAH pUjyamAnaiH| (Pan 2.1.61)

arasi

Post by arasi »

cmlover,
I like your imagery of Sabari for Cool. As kind as he is to rasikas, imagine if Rama appeared before him and asked for Tyagaraja panam (musical nectar)...

VK,
'Ah, sweet, sweet is your service', would He say, as he did to Sabari...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

VK,
'Ah, sweet, sweet is your service', would He say, as he did to Sabari...

and he would add

BUT ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT YOU DONT OFFEND ANY COPYRIGHTS !!

;) ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

;) ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

If Rama(kriShna) were to appear before coolkarni he would offer obeisance (like Thyagarja) as follows (as certainly we (all the moderators) would too!)

raga PunnagavaraaLi mELa tODi (madhyama shruti) tALa Adi
aro SRGMPDN avaro NDPMGRS (anyasvaram catushruti riShabhaM)

Pallavi
tava dAsOhaM tava dAsOhaM tava dAsOhaM dAsaratE

caraNaM
1. varam^RidubhASha virahita dOSha
naravaravESha dAsaratE

2. manavini vinumA marava samayamA
rasikakula dhanamA dAsaratE

2. cEntanE sadA yu~ncukOvayya (hanu)
mantu rItiga dAsaratE

3. talacina panulanu nE delisi
talatO nadaci dAsaratE

4. palumArubalka panilEdu, rAmA!
kulkarNinuta dAsaratE

First my apologies for attempting in a language (Telugu) totally unfamiliar to me. I request help and corrections from you folks (kiran/Sarma/...). Perhaps you can also post the meaning too!

I have purposely used 'dAsaratE' (vocative) instead of 'dAsharathE'.
dAsajanaiH rata iti dAsarata sambodhanE
(he the one who is pleased with the dAsA clan (moderators)!)

audio withheld pending corrections!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

CML
Im not sure you are aware. This pic you posted is of "SrI purandaradAsaru" as the kannaDa writing at the bottom clearly declares.
Thanks for the picture. The same picture I think aslo decorates the walls of "Malleswaram sangeetha sabhe" and "Vadiraja Bhavana". I may be wrong of couse

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

DRS
I did not know the meaning of the writings! But I would not cut it out! I assume it is not copyrighted (please enlighten me!). I was fascinated by the image of Hanuman at the pedestal and found it quite appropriate and contextual (RamakriShNa). If there is a story associated with the picture I will be fascinated. (also I wanted a Kannada writing on display as 'kulkarNi' is paying obeisance!).
Is it the Udipi KriShNa? I can see the conch in the left hand! The context of mAruti eludes me!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I assume it is not copyrighted (please enlighten me!).
I think so too. dont worry.
Is it the Udipi KriShNa? I can see the conch in the left hand! The context of mAruti eludes me!
This is pANDuranga/viThala/viThOba of paNDharapura, the patron deity of all haridAsas. That is the way viThala is depicted everywhere. I suppose there is mAruti in the temple as well. I have not bee there so I cannot speak authoritatively here.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

tava(your) dAsO(servant) ahaM(Me) tava dAsOhaM tava dAsOhaM dAsaratE (raama)
Iam your servant

varam^RidubhASha(You are very soft spoken) virahita(one who destroys/one without) dOSha(mistakes/impurities...)
naravaravESha(best of all the men) dAsaratE(raama)

Oh Lord Raama!! you are very spoft spoken and are without any flaws. You are the best of all the men

manavini(Plea) vinumA(listen) marava(to forget) samayamA( is this the time) rasikakula(groups of rasikas) dhanamA(repository) dAsaratE(raama)

Oh Raama listen to my plea. Dont ignore me at this time. You are the trove of music for all the rasikas

cEntanE(with you) sadA(always) yu~ncukOvayya( keep) (hanu)
mantu(lord hanuma) rItiga(way you do) dAsaratE(raama)

Please be by my side all the time just the way you are with Lord Hanuma

talacina panulanu nE delisi
talatO nadaci dAsaratE
(CML!!! you lost me here. I dint get what you were trying to say. Sarma might be able to post the meaning)

palu(many)mAru(times)balka(to talk) panilEdu(no need), rAmA!
kulkarNinuta(one who is orshipped by kulkarni) dAsaratE (raama)

No need to repeat my pleas over and again.. You are worshipped by Kulkarni..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

talacina panulanu nE delisi
talatO nadaci dAsaratE
I am trying to say 'I will know your intentions and carry them out'

Incidentally dAsaratE refers to 'RamakriShnA' (our webmaster!)

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Incidentally dAsaratE refers to 'RamakriShnA' (our webmaster!)
CmL
You have composed one on Kulkarni and one on Chembai and Kulkarni together.
What about our cyber guru, DRS?
:twisted: ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That will come with the guru dakShiNa!
It is not time for it yet! Since I (?We) are not graduated yet ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

incidentally
4. palumArubalka panilEdu, rAmA!
is meant to say
'no need to repeat your commands, O Ramakrishna! '
and it follows from the previous line that your intentions will be carried out!
(that of course is the philosophy of all of the moderators!)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Perhaps I should spell out the meaning I intended and those knowing Telugu can correct me if it is not right!

Pallavi

I am at your service
(the idea is that all the moderators are readily at the service of the webmaster)

caraNam
1. Oh RamakriShNa! you are soft spoken free of any faults and the best among men.
(this is no exaggeration since the webmaster is maintaining this Forum from his own funds out of generosity and love for CM and his veneration for the grand masters of CM)
2. Oh RamakriShNa! you are the treasure for the (CM) Rasika clan. listen to (my) plea and it is not proper to forget.
(the plea is to make use of the services of moderators (coolkarni in particular who is eager to help Rasikas and the Forum as also the others who toil selflessly to fulfil the requests from CM Rasikas wherever and whenever possible)
3. Oh RamakriShNa! keep me (as also all the moderators) with you (for service to the Rasika community) like Lord Rama keeping hanumAn.
4. Oh RamakriShNa! I will know your thought and carry them out.
(incidentally most tasks (such as fulfilling requests, monitoring quality of the posts as also preventing malpractice etc) are carried out without the webmaster requesting them)
5. Oh RamakriShNa who is respected by cookarni! there is no need to repeat your commands (they will be carried out efficiently)

Perhaps the user community know very little about the munificence and devotion of the webmaster and the commitment of his team to promote CM for the enjoyment of the entire CM Rasika community. Needless to say that we would not be here were it not for his vision and commitment.

Though I am designated a 'moderator' (for which I may not be deserving), as one of the Rasikas I am expressing gratitude (on your behalf) to RamakriShNan and the selfless and ever-watchful efforts of the moderators!

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

CML
Very nice...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hehehe, thanks.

arasi

Post by arasi »

After being shipwrecked as it were since the disappearance of sangeetham.com, I came upon my carnatic haven here just a while ago. My chance discovery reunited me with rasikas I knew from sangeetham. An awsome ensemble of erudite, enterprising and ever-giving enthusiasts of music, offering endless courses of musical fare.
CML,
Thanks for turning the spotlight on 'iru avatAra purushan' Sri Ramakrishnan with your song. No less than the pitAmahA heralding your song!
Salutations to the SUtradhAri for enabling rasikas to cruise the sea of music. What do the passengers get for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Servings of the pearls and full many a gem from the dark unfathomed caves of carnatic and uttarAdi fare.
Vandanamu, Sri R, and all the crew...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
That was very well said:
All of these individuals (the list is endless, but Chembai and Kulkarni in particular, deserve special mention - but all who contribute are included) need our heartfelt thanks - 'endarO mahAnubhAvulu, endariki mA vandanamulu' - and like the (legendary/mythical) kuyil, are deserving of our 'ananta kOTi namaskAram'!
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is my tentative audio
http://rapidshare.de/files/26978535/Tav ... m.mp3.html

Of course if MNS tries it will be good!
(or why not Kji himself ;)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML,
Lovely!. I was waiting to hear before making any comments.

This site indeed has been provided to us with a gracious heart placed inside a frame. It is now filled with vision, sound, taste etc..
The contributions from intellectuals is the brain.
And you CML, are providing the right synapses keeping us all engaged.
More muscle to this forum!
And thanks skris!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

A Synopsis of Synapses
----------------------------

He is all heart, Synapses
Tongue--gilded,
Firmly placed in the cheek.
Brains? His crowning glory.
Bard, in a snap, Asu kavi!

Since there is a lot of goodwill in this forum, it is MAS too.
(mutual admiration society)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The experiment continues...
We are happy with our sapta svaras culled out of the 16 within our meLakarta system. There have been experiments creating ragas with minimal svarams. BMK's mahati is one such which made a hit in the Tamil movie 'abhoorva raagangaL'. Here I am trying the extreme; using only two svarams; just sa and pa! It is part of the vedic chants where only udaatta and anudaatta were used. I am not aware of a name. So I am naming it 'acalaM' (since they are the acala svaraas). Symbolically I have used the 'mountain' (acalaM) as the indicatory mark! Without any more ado here is the lyric (with its implied philosophy!)

Raga acalaM mELa ??? (universal) TaaLa Adi
aro SPS' avaro S'PS

Pallavi

nI inRi aNu asaiyumA?
virai inRi maram vaLarumA?

Anupallavi

uyirinRi uDal vAzhumA?
uNavinRi uyir tharikkumA?

CharaNaM

(duritakaalam)
ulakinil uLLa uyirkaLil ellAM uRaipavan nIthAnE
avvuDalkaLin uNavaay uruvamainthu uyirppavan nIthAnE

The translation will (I hope) be provided by arasi/Shankar. Now you must be curious as to how it will sound (no gamakams!). Since my voice does not span from the mantra shadjam to tAra pancamam I have resorted to using the computer to generate the audio.
http://rapidshare.de/files/27283398/nIi ... A.mp3.html

It is weird I know. Of course you can try! If I succeed I will post mine, but I must confess my shruti lapses (only DRS is mathematically precise as for as I know objectively!)
GOOD LUCK!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Interesting, CML :smile: The audio sounds pleasant. The mood does fit the natural surroundings. I thought if there is a video of nature with mountains and valleys etc. this can be an appropriate background music. You motivated me to try some improvisational stuff on this "raga" since the swaras and prayogams are within my capabilities ;)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Here I am trying the extreme; using only two svarams; just sa and pa! It is part of the vedic chants where only udaatta and anudaatta were used. I am not aware of a name. So I am naming it 'acalaM' (since they are the acala svaraas).
You are not the first CML. ANd it has a name "gAthikA". Vid||C.Rangiah has composed kRtis using just one swara upwards. Rangiah-avhA is one of the composers who has composed n all 72 mELakarta. He hails from chilkunda in Mysore Dt. He is my Aunt's father-in-law.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You are not the first CML. ANd it has a name "gAthikA". Vid||C.Rangiah has composed kRtis using just one swara upwards. Rangiah-avhA is one of the composers who has composed n all 72 mELakarta. He hails from chilkunda in Mysore Dt. He is my Aunt's father-in-law.
Thanks DRS for the info. Please tell us more on these experiments in CM which is part of CM history. We never hear about these stories otherwise since even famous vidvaans are not always aware of them. Sanjay used to dig into archives and from time to time dig out interesting pearls. Alas! Sangeetham is Gone :cry:
It is all the more interesting if you had a family connection with these 'unknown gayakas'. Also bring to light the kritis and audios (if you have them) from the closet! All ears!

vk

Pl try and post. Mine is a hasty korvai. We can do much better. Slowly we can create other fascinating ragas with 3 svaras etc which may even have concert value. We need folks with a rich voice (who are not shy) to try them. I am sure DRS will help us too!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML,
I will leave the philosophising to Arasi (she is so much better at it than I), but here are the padartha and vAkyArtha......

Pallavi

nI = you
inRi = without
aNu = an atom
asaiyumA = can (it) move?
virai = aka vidai = seed
inRi = without
maram = tree
vaLarumA = can (it) grow?

Without your grace even an atom will not be able to move, just as a tree cannot be if the seed did not come into existence first.

Anupallavi

uyirinRi = without (inRi) life (uyir)
uDal = body
vAzhumA = can (it) live/be alive?
uNavinRi = without (inRi) food (uNavu)
uyir = life
tharikkumA = can (it) come into existence?

Without food, there will be no life, and without life there will be no existence.

CharaNaM

(duritakaalam)
ulakinil = also 'ulaginil' = in this world
uLLa = existing
uyirkaLil = among the life forms
ellAM = everything
uRaipavan = the one who speaks/directs
nIthAnE = you are the one.
avvuDalkaLin = (for) those life-forms
uNavaay = as (their) food
uruvamainthu = created yourself as
uyirppavan = life-giving force
nIthAnE = you are the one.

You not only created the world and its inhabitants, but are also, undoubtedly, the basis of their food and speech/directives (reminds me of Angikam bhuvanam, where Siva is hailed as 'vAchikam sarva vAngmayam').

Of course, if the word 'uNavaay' is replaced with 'uNaRvaay', then, this line will read as:
You not only created the world and its inhabitants, but are also, undoubtedly, the basis of their feelings/experiences and speech.

Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Vk
here is just the pallavi and anupallavi on MIDI using 'violin' (on Cakewalk) which is indeed melodious.
http://rapidshare.de/files/27340688/PalanuFull.mp3.html
Keyboarding will be even better!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Shankar for that word to word translation. One can bring in lots of ideas here. I used 'uDal/uNavu/seed' to signify material universe and 'uyir' to signify the spiritual 'cosmic' universe. The dichotomy is part of dvaita while the unification leads to advaita! According to 'saNkhya' (kapila) only matter exists and there is no 'puruSha' (God). Vedanta collectively is totally the refutaion of the sankhya philosophy. At any rate even 'God' requires 'matter' to manifest himself and hence it cannot be ignored. If God created Man then it is equally true that Man created God! Perhaps the philosophy can be discusseed elsewhere!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Thanks for the kind words. You did a great job and gave the essence of the song besides pada artha. It was just as well that the writer of the lovely verse gave his own interpretation. Thank God (existing??--and the one of my own creation!) I didn't jump in before he could speak.;)

corrections:
A.P.: tharikkumA--be sustained

Charanam: uRaipavan--one who resides

arasi

Post by arasi »

cmlover,

Listened to Acala. The computer generated melody doesn't bother me. In fact, it brings out the quiet quality of Acala. Here, heard melody gets to be as sweet as the unheard ones--just as the majestic mountain by its stillness brings a pleasing 'nothing state' to us. Mela? To me, it was the drone of the tambura--obviously by the notes, but more in the sense of its soothing nature.

Yes, it would be great if musicians of merit who practise innovations shared their thoughts with us. Yet, didn't Sangeetham fold just because Sanjay and Sriram simply didn't have the time for that due to their busy schedules?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I was pleased to find the reference to gathika (alias acalaM) and the discussion by Prof Sridhar at the Regional Institute of Education, Mysore very recently.
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2 ... 300300.htm

It would be nice to have an audio too! It is indeed in our vedic roots. It is appropriate to trace the origin of our CM to the monotone, Omkaara. In my view OM represents the totality of the frequency spectrum which is infinite and is concisely stated in the sUtra 'shruti anantaM'. It is indeed a nonmetric space. The very first attempt at quantification is to introduce an 'origin' (starting point) which is the AdhAra shruti (shadjam). That alone is insufficient. We need a second point to convert it into a metric space . Then a distance scale is defined which quantifies the whole spectrum. Hence the shadjam and pancamam (which have to be fixed (acalam)) are necessary and sufficient to span the complete musical spectrum.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

CML Here is the Composition of C.Rangiah in rAga-dviswari(gAThikA)

amba pAhimAm cAmuNDESvari ||P||

mahiShAura mardini ||AP||

mahAbalAdrivAsini |
mahAdEvi SrIranga pAlini ||C||

Unfortunately it is not notated.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML,
Just listened to aCalam.. It is pleasant to hear like a vedic chant.
Sometimes while tuning the violin to SPS a few times up and down in random order I end up getting similar sounds.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks DRS! Pity we do not have the notations.
Just to illustrate my point here is my rendering of the lyric with the vedic accent.
http://rapidshare.de/files/27555685/amba1.mp3.html
Now the same (with the help of cakewalk) on the violin (MIDI)(using only shadjam and pancamam)
http://rapidshare.de/files/27556003/ambaviolin.mp3.html
If you said 'no melody' I agree with you! But it will keep you awake all night if you listen to it ;)

Now I tried to notate it to the best of my ability and let my computer sing it
here it is
http://rapidshare.de/files/27556338/AMBAPAHI.mp3.html
Still using only shadjam and pancamam but set to Adi taaLaM. Though it wont lull you to sleep it is still musical in a way!
First the accompanying shruti helps. Again the rhythmic taaLam helps too! It would sound even better if sung by one who has a high-pitched voice (of course good shruti control!).
(any volunteers ;) )

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

I am back after more summer travels. Next up is a composition in honor of the two great physicists CV Raman and S Chandrasekhar. I will post the recording in a few days after I return from yet more travel.

CML- I listened to Acalam (SPS) - nice work. I can imagine the words fitting in, but still pondering as to how many swaras are needed to generate melody. BMK's "umAsutam namAmi" in raga sarvaSrI (SMPS - SPMS) does sound melodious.

Best Wishes,
SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

vEnkaTarAmasubrahmaNyau vandE (2003)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/889989

SankarAbharaNarAgE AditAlEna gIyatE

pallavi

vEnkaTarAmasubrahmaNyau | vandE bhautikaSAstriNau jnAninau ||

anupallavi

lOkarahasyasamprakASakau | lOkAbhivanditamImAmsakau ||
vAkkElimuditau vijnAnAdhipau | vikIrNakiraNanakshatratattvavidau ||
EkAnEkacamatkAriNau | EkAmrESanAmadhAriNau ||

caraNam

svarOtpAdaSAstrAdisiddhau | SishyapravRttisahAyacaNau |
paramapuraskRtau prasiddhau | pitRvyabhrAtrIyau suguNau||
purushOttamau pANDyadESasthau | purOvaijnAnikanAyakau||
varamEghanAdavAsvAdinutau | vividhAnvESaNakEndrasthApakau||

Translation

I salute Venkatarama and Subrahmanya, the (two) physicists, the (two) learned ones.

Them who enlighten the secrets of the universe, them who are world-renowned investigators,
Them who delight in word-play [1], who are kings of science, who know the fundamentals of scattered radiation and stars [2].
Them who perform many (scientific) miracles, them who bear the name of Ekamresha (Shiva) [3].

Them who are accomplished in science of sound/music production among others [4], who delight in assisting the progress of students,
Them who have received the ultimate recognition/honors [5], who are famous, who are the uncle-nephew pair, who possess fine qualities.
Them who are foremost among men, hailing from Pandyadesha [6], them who are leaders of the Eastern (i.e., Asian) scientists,
Them who are praised by the great Meghanada, Vasu and others [7], them who are founders of centers of manifold researches.

Notes

[1] CVR and SC were both known to be adept in literature and humor.
[2] CVR discovered and explained the scattering of light from matter, SC explained many aspects of stellar phenomena.
[3] Reference to Shiva (Chandrashekhara).
[4] CVR and SC were both known to be adept in classical music, in addition CVR wrote papers on vibration of strings in musical instruments.
[5] Reference to the Nobel Prize.
[6] Tamil Nadu.
[7] Reference to Meghnad Saha and Satyendranath Vasu ('Bose/Basu' in Bengali), two other great Indian physicists of the first half of the 20th century.
Last edited by Sangeet Rasik on 20 Dec 2007, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

nAyaka gEya Etau mahAnubhAvau bhAratacandrau|
bhAratacandrau = the two 'Chandras' of India (vishEShArtha: the two 'moons' of India)

Very nice indeed SR! I am enjoying your neologisms:
(eg., vikIrNakiraNanakshatratattvavidau )

Await your rendition whenever you are ready

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is a composition in honour of a very special person venerated by the whole of the CM community viz., MRRy Sri Sri LakShmaN Ragde.

gauLa rAgE Adi tALena gIyatE

Aro: S R1 M1 P N3 S' : AvarO: S' N3 P M1 R1 G3 M1 R1 S

pallavi

praNmAmyaham shrI lakShmaNaM
maNiratna sAhitya vibhAjakaM satatam

anupallavi

karNATaka gAyaka v^Rinda sEvitaM
vAgdEvI AshiShaM rasikajana vanditam

caraNam

dh^Rita cAru hAsa prasanna vadanaM
Ashritajana Asha^NkA bhanjakaM
natajana amita santOShadAyakaM
shrita rasika pAlakam siddhidAyakaM

here is my first attempt at audio
http://rapidshare.de/files/28067099/Pra ... m.mp3.html
I hope vidvaans will use it to express their immeasurable gratitude to Sri LakShman. The first line is ideal for a nereval and svaraprastaaram.

Meaning

I venerate (pay homage to) shri lakShmaN who shares (distributes) the choicest SAhityas (of all the great vAggeyakArakas) all the time.

He serves the entire clan of the CM musician community. He is indeed blessed by Goddess Sarasvati. He is venerated by the CM rasika community.

He has a very pleasant smiling personality(1). He eradicates the doubts of folks who resort to him(2). He bestows immeasurable happiness to folks who respect (approach) him. He protects the CM rasika community and fulfills their desires(3).

Annotation

As much we all know Lakshman to be the storehouse of the vital information on all aspects of CM (kriti, raga information, notations biography of vaggayakaras etc.,) that he is doing the service tirelessly for the benefit of the whole of the CM community. It is no exaggeration if I say that the flow of CM will run dry were it not for this eternal vernal spring of support from LakShmaN.
(1) over the years as I have observed I have never seen LakShman get angry at even irritating questions. He is 'gentlenes' personified!
(2) He is the ultimate authority on many complex questions since he pores over many ancient and rare manuscripts/documents to get the answers to all our vexing queries.
(3) 'ask and it shall be given unto you' is his tAraka mantram

He is one who has dedicated his life to promote CM ceaselssly never seeking any rewards and if ever an SK is to be offered for one who nurses CM with maternal love and care it must go to Sri LakShman! I can only add a pithy invocation:

AyuShmAn bhava!