nAsadIya sUktaM (Hymn of creation)

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
kaapi

Post by kaapi »

VK,
The following link provides some good info on Dravidian languages.

http://assets.cambridge.org/052177/1110 ... 1110ws.pdf

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I am wondering if the linguists/others have a good explanation as to how that pocket retained its dravidian language whereas there is a huge geographical gap between there and south india.
Certain things/phenomena do not have an explanation. ANd they need not. That is the way it happened. It is nice that at least that one pocket remained. This helps linguists/anthropologists/historians.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

VK/DRS Look at
http://globalrecordings.net/country/IN
the languages spoken in India (of interest to evangelists).
There is no SankEti!
That is very interesting!! ;)

While looking around in that site, there is a way by which you can view by community. There is a community name called 'kepmari' ;) I have only heard that in the context of chennai rikshawala verbally abusing someone. ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK

as I was looking at the list of communities (including kepmaris) i noticed that the missionaries are primarily tageting the poor and uneducated 'tribes' in India to pass on their 'conversion package'. During the early days of last century they were primarily tagetting Brahmins hoping that by converting the intellectuals they will have the whole caboodle in their net. Max Muller primarily 'studied' the vedas to prove that it was 'junk' compared to his 'Lord's message' through the Messiah. The idea backfired since many westerners discovered the advanced philosophy that is imbedded in Hinduism. Even today the western intellectuals are drawn to the elevated thinkings in Hindu Philosophy. Hence now the missionaries are trrying the 'bottoms up' plan. Perhaps they found 'sanskrit' and 'sanketi' too smart for comfort with the fear of being 'hoisted with their own petard' ;)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Kaapi
That is a a very interesting and informative link that you provided. Too bad its only a sample and not the whole book :twisted:

srini_pichumani

Post by srini_pichumani »

I am glad that Bhadriraju Krishnamurti's recent work has been brought up on this forum since a careful reading of this foremost Dravidologist's books and papers over that past several decades can help to disabuse everyone of their pet notions and warmfuzzies such as palatalization-induced-ancience ;-)))

While it is appropriate to demand that many Tamils need to disabuse themselves of notions regarding their language as the Ur-language of the Dravidian family, Kannada chauvinism and other such chauvinisms shouldn't be brushed under the carpet either.

-Srini.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I am glad that Bhadriraju Krishnamurti's recent work has been brought up on this forum since a careful reading of this foremost Dravidologist's books and papers over that past several decades can help to disabuse everyone of their pet notions and warmfuzzies such as palatalization-induced-ancience ;-)))
Do you mind explaining yourself. Such terse and tongue-incheek comments do not add anything constructive to the discussion unless you clarify your point. It is obvious from observing the development of the dravidian languages that palatalization is a later process. Surely you are not saying the whole chronology has been reversed to suit somenes whim!
While it is appropriate to demand that many Tamils need to disabuse themselves of notions regarding their language as the Ur-language of the Dravidian family, Kannada chauvinism and other such chauvinisms shouldn't be brushed under the carpet either..
Excuse me. You need to disabuse yourself of your notions here. We are not interested in chauvinism here. I have not seen any claim of kannaDa being the most ancient language in a single kannaDa book on linguistics. So your argument is baseless.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I agree with DRS here!
Hidden barbs hurt only the user! The discussiona and comments should be transparent (and honest too!).