Lalgudi Varnams and Thillanas

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
coolkapali

Post by coolkapali »

Hi Folks....happened to listen to some varnams of Shri Lalgudi .......Amazing and what creativity......is it regularly sung in concert platforms?? and who are the artistes who have popularised them????

And finally are notations and audio available?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Maharajapuram Santhanam used to often sing the chArukEsi varnam "innam en manam" and often in the company of LGJ himself too! This was surprisingly one of the first few varnams I learned as my teacher who'd just learned it was so struck by it he wanted to teach it right away! It's sheer genius. Especially the patterns in the last set of swarams. I love how it starts at the tAra shadjam and swoops right down to the madhyamam which is such an important note in chArukEsi... I'm also very fond of his naLinakAnthi and nIlAmbari varnams which I've only heard him/his children render. The chArukEsi notation (as well as the naLinakAnthi I believe) is available on Shivkumar Kalyanaraman's site. There are several renditions on Sangeethapriya of those I've mentioned.

jananee

Post by jananee »

Bilahari: If i remember right you played that varnam here in Singapore when we had the rasikas meet right? WE also sang it in the students night at Sifas. It is most ceratinly a masterpiece....enjoyed singing it.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

am looking for the podhigai concert video where lalgudi sir plays his mAAnd thillAnA.. Can anyone help me to locate this out pls??

Thanks

Arvind...

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Same here, I have never listened to his Mand thillana, can someone please provide a recording? Thanks!

tribute

Post by tribute »

Does anybody have audio recordings of his famed "Navarasa" varnam?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Jananee, you're right- I did play that varnam. Waiting for more SIFAS concert updates from you!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

saveri

Post by saveri »

LGJ's varnams and tillanas speak about the maestro's sound knowledge of the musical system, its adaptation to an instrument and dance.

Amazing creativity and swara patterns, unimaginable !! But many of his compositions are a "little tricky on the voice ", if you are not blessed with a voice that will co-operate and can be controlled.

Right from Smt. MLV, ( I have heard her sing his Behag tillana beautifully) to today's novice , all have been singing his creations. The dance fraternity especially, have widened their repertoire with his Pada Varnams and Tillanas. It is but once in a lifetime, that we get to see a genius of this order.