Mutthuswamy Dikshithar (Krithis)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

In the kRti 'abhirAmIm akhila bhuvana' - rAga bhUShAvati, (in praise of abhirAmi - tirukkaDaiyUr) the following line occurs in the caraNam -

mArkaNDEyAyuShprada-yama bhayApahAriNIM

The translation of this line - the one who gave longevity to Markandeya and
removed the fear of death;
(http://sky.prohosting.com/guruguha/krit ... ramim.html)

As per the sthala purANa, it is Lord Siva who protected mArkaNDEya.

What could be basis for MD's version of this episode?
Last edited by vgvindan on 04 Aug 2007, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

vgvindan,

If I may hazard a guess- Siva kicked yama with his left foot -which belongs to Parvati -since She is his vAmabhAga. Hence she gets the credit......

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

In the kRti 'amba nIlAyatAkShi' rAga nIlAmbari, MD describes Mother as 'nava yOginI cakra vikAsini'.

The nava yOginis are detailed in the kRti 'akhilANDESvaryai namastE' rAga Arabhi. These in turn are as given in the Devi khaDga mAla.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

sri,
There seems to be no reference to Mother abhirAmi affording protection to mArkaNDEya; however, verse for verse 'abhirAmi andAdi' of abhirAmi bhaTTa states about 'ardha nArISvara' aspect of Mother abhirAmi. Therefore, your guess may not be very much off the mark.
Last edited by vgvindan on 06 Aug 2007, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Apoorva

Post by Apoorva »

Dear Members

I am new to this site. I want to attend a workshop. They have given as bhuloka panchalinga kritis. How many type of panchalinga krithis are there by Muthuswamy Dikshitar. One is the famous sthala krithis.

They have given one example as akshayalinga vibho, if so what are the other krithis.

Thanks in advance.

Apoorva

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Last edited by vgvindan on 07 Aug 2007, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

apoorva, MD has composed the pancabhUtlinga kr.tIs on the 5 kshEtrAs representing the five elements. A little abou the 5 elements: http://www.indiantemples.com/PanchaBhoot.html

vgvindan: Has he also composed on the dvAdaSha jyOtirlingAs?

Interestingly, vINai kuppaiyyer has composed a pancharatna on the deity of kALahasti as well.

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Vgovindan avl,

I did not say that there was any direct puranic reference to the Devi snatching Markandeya from the clutches of Yama. But since MD has credited Ambal with the same, we have to look at some other angle. The ArdhanArIshwar concept is an established one and why just in abirami andadi, but in so many other works, we find mention of Uma sharing the left half of Siva. Even the Soundarya Lahari begins with "Siva ShaktyA yuktO...."

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

km,
The ksEtras listed as 'dvAdaSa jyOtirlingas' are contained in http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/sp/spjyoti.htm.
Not sure whether there are MD kRtis on any or all the kShEtras.

There are MD kRtis on panca linga kShetras - http://sky.prohosting.com/guruguha/kritis/mdpanca.html

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

In the kRti 'Ananda naTana prakASaM' - rAga kEdAram, MD states 'sangIta vAdya vinOda tANDava jAta bahu-tara bhEda cOdyaM' - this has been translated as 'One whose music, (musical) instruments and various postures of dance answers many questions'. http://sky.prohosting.com/guruguha/kritis/panch5.html

Can someone clarify as to what these questions and the answers are?
I find some references here - http://www.sangam.org/articles/view/?id=205
Last edited by vgvindan on 13 Aug 2007, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

rajini

Post by rajini »

mahakavi, Ravi and Sridhar can be contacted at: muktamma@rediffmail.com

Naadhapriyan

Post by Naadhapriyan »

Hi

Here is an interesting reference from the wikipeida

There is another minor temple for Sastha or Ayyappan in the Sri Varahapuram Agraharam limits. Sastha is a deity beloved on both sides of Western Ghats. The great composer Muthuswami Dikshitar has sung about Hariharaputhra as 'Pandya Keraladi Desha Prabhakaram'. In this temple an annual festival called 'Sasthapreethi' is conducted. Along with this festival, the annual general body meeting of a socio-economic cum religious society, known as the 'Karanthayar Palayam Samooham' is also conducted. The general body meeting used to be conducted after the Sastha rites are over. At this meeting, representatives of all the 18 Agraharams would be present. The executive secretaryship of the Samooham for the ensuing year used to be elected by an agreed turn system.

He has also composed a krithi on the Adivaraha perumal of Kallidaikuruichi when he visited the same place

http://nadhasudharasa.blogspot.com/2007 ... raham.html

mohan

Post by mohan »

Sydney Music Circle (www.sydneymusiccircle.info) recently conducted a program featuring Dikshitar's Navavarna krithis. Songs were rendered by local artistes in groups. Recording is available for a short period at http://rapidshare.com/users/C64ZJC

vkarthik

Post by vkarthik »

Can somebody help me find some rare krithis of Dikshitar - Dandayudhapanim, Thyagaraja Mahadvaja, Shri Matah.

Thank you.

vkarthik

Post by vkarthik »

Thank you for the link, Ms Vidya Raja. But sadly the link within for Dandayudhapanim does not seem to work :(.
Last edited by vkarthik on 29 Oct 2007, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

vkarthik

Post by vkarthik »

Thank you very much. Any references for the audio links?
Last edited by vkarthik on 29 Oct 2007, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Following Mohan's message, Bharathi Kala Manram of Toronto, Canada recently conducted its own dIkShitar Aradhana. Audio recordings and photos are available at http://www.manram.org/id39.html , and videos may follow shortly on youtube.

Ashwin
Last edited by Ashwin on 29 Oct 2007, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mohan wrote:Recording is available for a short period at http://rapidshare.com/users/C64ZJC
Mohan,
Are Uma Ayyar and Nirmal Ayyar related to you, by any chance?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Ravi - no - just we share the same spelling of surname! Nirmal is Uma's son.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mohan,
I heard a couple of pieces--your synthesizer too. There was calmness and quality in the presentations. No hurrying, dragging or discord. Obviously, a lot of practice went into it. Quality of teaching and that of students too made it happen, I guess...

mohan

Post by mohan »

thanks for the feedback .. different teachers were each allocated a Navavarna krithi and they either trained their students or teamed with other adults to render the item. I agree all the groups took a lot of effort to make the program a success.

jyestha07

Post by jyestha07 »

Dear Dhavalangi
saw a review in last friday's hindu re excellent rendition of a rare kriti-- Purahara Jaaye, of Syama Sastry ingowlipantu. you may be interested, I thought.
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/10/26/stor ... 200400.htm

ramya

Post by ramya »

Ananda Natana Prakasam Chitsabesam
Ashrayaami Shivakama valleesam

Anupallavi
Banu Koti Koti Samkhaasam
Bhukthi Mukthi Pradha Daharaakaasam
Dheena Jana Samrakshana Chanam
Divya Pathanjali Vyakrapadha
Dharshitha Kunjithaabja charanam

CaraNam
Chitaamsu Gangadharam Neelakantharam
Sri Kedaaradhi Kshetra aadhaaram
Bhoothesam Shaarthoola Sarmaambaram Chidambaram
Bhoosuraadhri sahasra muneeswaram Visweswaram
Navaneetha Hridayam Sadaya Guruguha
Thaatha madhyam vehda vedhyam
Veetha raaginam aprameya advaitha prathipaadhyam
Sangeetha vaadhya vinodha thandavajaatha bahuthara vedha chodyampa

can someone give me the meaning of this song.Also sivakamavalli is another name of sivakami-spouse of Nataraja.Because this song says sivakamavaleesam.

meena

Post by meena »

This kriti is the fifth of Sree MD's pancha linga series and is on the fifth element ether.
Shiva is in the form of ether at the Chidambaram temple and that is where this kriti was composed. The lord danced the Ananda Tandava to please his devotees Patanjali and Vyaghrapada. Shiva's throat is blue as he drank the Halahala poison when the ocean was churned by the Devas and Asuras in quest of nectar.
When the temple was built, it is said that 3000 priests were brought in from North India. These Dikshitars control all administrative and religious aspects of the temple. This is also mentioned in the kriti. The raga name is in the line shrI kEdArAdi kshEtrAdhAram.

The song being on Lord Nataraja, has some lovely sollukattu swarams appended to it, a master stroke by the composer

Meaning:
I take refuge in the beloved of Sivakamavalli! His dance is effulgent and is bliss! He is the Lord of the Cosmic Hall!

He is akin to millions and millions of suns! He is present as ether and bestows boons for this world and for salvation! He is adept in protecting the weak! His lotus foot is bent and lifted for the benefit of his devotees, the great Patanjali and Vyaghrapada!

He bears the moon and the Ganges! His throat is blue! He is the core of Kedara and other Siva shrines!
He is the Lord of all living beings! He is clothed in a tiger�s skin! He is enveloped in the mind! He is the Lord of the three thousand sages! He is the Lord of the Universe! His heart is akin to butter! He is benevolent to Subrahmanya! He is the primordial one! He is extolled by the vedas! He is devoid of passion! He expounds the concept of eternal monism! He dances to the music of many unusual musical instruments and stimulates the quest for knowledge!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

My tribute to MD on his samAdhi day.

Except for composing the post, nothing is really mine ;)

But those of you who have not listened to BMK's kriti about MD, please click the sangeethapriya link at the end of the post. Very apt to listen today.

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2007/11/08/

Even though the text is in kannaDa - I think rasikas interested in the audio link can find it near the end :)

My original link to sangeethapriya for the sucharitra kriti was not working - So I figured out it would not be too bad if I gave link to a kriti from the same chakra :) YOu can listen to a kriti in Raga jyOti (68th asampoorna mELa) there.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 09 Nov 2007, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

There is a "Swetha Ganapathim" in Raga Vardhani abt a Ganapathi Temple by the Immortal Naada Jyothi Sri Muthuswamy Dikshitar (Deepavali being his Aradhana Day) near Kumbhakonam associated with churning of ocean by suras.

Has any one sung/played this song ?

rasikas are requested to provide audio links of this song, if available.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 09 Nov 2007, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

vainika

Post by vainika »

vs_manjunath wrote:There is a "Swetha Ganapathim" in Raga Vardhani abt a Ganapathi Temple by the Immortal Naada Jyothi Sri Muthuswamy Dikshitar (Deepavali being his Aradhana Day) near Kumbhakonam associated with churning of ocean by suras.

Has any one sung/played this song ?

rasikas are requested to provide audio links of this song, if available.
Did you mean the kRti in rAgachUDAmaNi?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

There is one SwEta gaNapathim by SRJ in a lecdem on rAgacUDAmaNi. Maybe in s priya site. He has sung with his disciples.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Yes, there is a recording of Ashwin and Rohin singing it on Sangeethapriya. It is rAga chUDAmaNi, and quite different in treatment from the sampUrNa mELa rAgavardhani.

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

ramakriya- U r 100% right. I'm looking for the chUDamani song only.
Unfortunately, the link provided by u reg lecture demo on Dikshitar by Prof SRJ does not include this song.

Although, the link provided two enjoyable lecture demos on Dikshitar by Prof SRJ & by DKJ.
Thanks for the link.
May be i have to locate the recording by Ashwin & Rohin singing the subject song.
I'll thankful, if u could provide the same.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

The kritis of Dikshitar contain a few Tamil words - not available in Sanskrit.
For example -
(1) ANava in kRti 'bAla gOplAla' - rAga bhairavi.
ANavAdi vijaya mAna sAkara (sAgara)
This refers to Three mala - impurities - as per Saiva Siddhanta - ANava - kanma - mAya
However, in the books, this seems to have been translated as a derivative of Sanskriti word 'aNu'.
for more information on Saiva Siddhanta - http://www.divinelifesociety.org/graphi ... rship.html

(2) vElAyudha in kRti bAla subrahmaNyaM - rAga suraTi
vElAyudha dharam - The word 'vEl' is not found Sanskrit Dictionary.

Please comment.
Last edited by vgvindan on 29 Dec 2007, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

The phrase "vElAyudha dhara" also appears in the kriti "sEnApathE pAlayamAm" in panthuvarali.
-bhaktha

ts

Post by ts »

vgvindan wrote:The kritis of Dikshitar contain a few Tamil words - not available in Sanskrit.
For example -
(1) ANava in kRti 'bAla gOplAla' - rAga bhairavi.
ANavAdi vijaya mAna sAkara (sAgara)
This refers to Three mala - impurities - as per Saiva Siddhanta - ANava - kanma - mAya
However, in the books, this seems to have been translated as a derivative of Sanskriti word 'aNu'.
for more information on Saiva Siddhanta - http://www.divinelifesociety.org/graphi ... rship.html

(2) vElAyudha in kRti bAla subrahmaNyaM - rAga suraTi
vElAyudha dharam - The word 'vEl' is not found Sanskrit Dictionary.

Please comment.
Sanskrit experts claim that this has to be treated as a proper noun. The same applies to "varAlamElumaNgA" in Prasanna venkateswaram.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

ts,
can you please clarify a little more? While 'alamElumangA' is a proper noun, 'ANava' and 'vEl' are not proper nouns.
Last edited by vgvindan on 31 Dec 2007, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

ts

Post by ts »

Hi vgvindan,

According to an MD expert in chennai, vEl is used there as a noun. I asked him the same question... but only got an evasive answer. According to this scholar, vElAyidham is different from dhanDAyutam.

Regards
TS

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Similar to 'tatbhava' and 'tatsama' of Tamil for absorbtion of Sanskrit words, are there any rules in Sanskrit also as to how to absorb words of other languages?

vidya

Post by vidya »

No, SanskrT niruktakAras, unlike their Dravidian counterparts have a peculiar approach to word borrowals. Their method is what I'd term as "appropriation without acknowledgement".
In many cases they even proceed to give out a definition for the word.One sanskrit professor has told me that this truly confounds the field of etymology.When one scratches at the surface a word seems Sanskrit but one digs deeper the word has been an indigenous one after all. This is how Taiyal nAyaki became TailAmbAL or AlavAy became hAlAsya and legends spun around the borrowed words. That was how the process of appropriation of local legends and the confounding of history by Sanskritization worked.

Again how does ANava becomes a Tamil word? Just because Tamil Siddhanta Saivam works use that word? ANava is the impurity or constraint of limiting oneself to be the center of the world. ie the individual soul mistaking its smallness(atma) as the bigness as opposed to the limitlessness of the supreme soul.

ts,
The confusion was between vElAyudha and shaktyAyudha and not dhaNDAyudha.The contention was that shaktyAyudha and vElAyudha were two different weapons..

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vidya wrote:No, SanskrT niruktakAras, unlike their Dravidian counterparts have a peculiar approach to word borrowals. Their method is what I'd term as "appropriation without acknowledgement".
ha ha :D :D :D

and may I add that "making the word a part of thesaurus like amarasimha ;) did"?

words like nIra, mIna are found in amarakOsha. not sure about nilaya. Just to name a few borrowals.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 04 Jan 2008, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

ts

Post by ts »

vidya wrote:ts,
The confusion was between vElAyudha and shaktyAyudha and not dhaNDAyudha.The contention was that shaktyAyudha and vElAyudha were two different weapons..
I stand corrected

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Again how does ANava becomes a Tamil word?
vidya,
When a word so widely used in Saiva Siddhanta is not found in the Sanskrit Dictionary, I had to assume it to be of a different origin.
This is more so because the authors of the book giving meaning to this Dikshitar kriti in Tamil had glossed over the word.
ANavam - in Tamil simply means 'egotism'.
Last edited by vgvindan on 04 Jan 2008, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Dikshitar Kriti - 'bhOga chAyA nATaka priyE' - rAga bhOga chAyA nATa.
When I was referring to 'chAyA nATaka' - shadow play, I came across this interesting article -
http://www.sagecraft.com/puppetry/defin ... tions.html
Last edited by vgvindan on 07 Jan 2008, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Der VGVSir, Bhoga chaya Natta is also known as Vagadeeshwari as per kadapayadi system
Ramaraj

vidya

Post by vidya »

Certain terminologies used in philosophical parlance might not find a place in dictionaries.. Suffice it to say that I have seen the word ANava in many Sanskrt works including those that predate (and some of which have been a source for Meykandar and other southern variants of Siddhanta Saivam) some of the Tamil occurrences which made me come to the conclusion that ANava is not a Tamil word. I can provide references from the kAraNAgama and another Kashmiri Saivist text to this effect.
Last edited by vidya on 08 Jan 2008, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

vidya,
Saiva Siddhanta is a subject by itself which IMHO has not been discussed in this forum. Let us continue the discussion at least to find out the relationship between various Saiva systems.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

There are at least two Kritis of Dikshitar where 'nidAgha' is mentioned. 'sadA vinata sAdarE' - rEvagupti and 'sadASivamupAsmahE' - SankarabharaNam

'nidAgha' is the disciple of sage 'ribhu' - For a detailed version of 'ribhu gItA', please refer to -
http://www.spiritual-teachers.com/ribhugita.htm

In the accompanying story, through a striking example, the contradictions existing in our utilitariation lives are brought out beautifully.
I am You for You - You are You for me : we are 'You' to each other; who's 'I' ?

Happy Reading.
Last edited by vgvindan on 19 Mar 2008, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

In the kRti 'sadAcalESvaram' - bhUpALa, Dikshitar mentions 'udAjya kRta nAmadhEya vAhaM' - He who has the name as the one who made water-ghee (udAjya).

This refers to the story of 'nambi nandigaL' an ardent devotee who used to daily light lamp at the Tiruvarur Temple. For want of ghee, he one day lit lamp with the water of Temple Tank (kamalalaya) (as per divine command).

For story in Tamil - please refer to - http://www.thevaaram.org/thirumurai_1/k ... idField=23

In the same kriti, Dikshitar makes a reference to 'chAyA rahita dIpa prakASa garbha gRha' - The Sanctum Sanctorum wherein the lamp gives out light which casts no shadow.

Can someone explain this?
Last edited by vgvindan on 19 Mar 2008, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

vidya

Post by vidya »

- It is not nambi nandi but nami nandi aDigaL one of the aruvattu mUvar.(Refer to Periya Puranam)
நன்மை பெருகும் நமிநந்தி அடிகள் நயமார் திருவீதிச்
சென்னி மதியும் திருநதியும் அலைய வருவார் திருவாரூர்

- Dr.Raghavan has written on this in both his article in a Kalki Deepavali malar and in one of the journals of the Academy.
http://sky.prohosting.com/~guruguha/vr1.html

As I had already pointed out elsewhere , in reality today , the lamp does cast a shadow.