Telugu symbols for the swaras - Help!

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
twister

Telugu symbols for the swaras - Help!

Post by twister »

Hello dear rasikas,

I've found an intriguing book on Manodharma Sangeeta, but it's all written in Telugu, of which I have no idea at all. The most part of the book contains swara patterns noted in Telugu script, so I have to ask those of you who are familiar with Telugu, please could you give me fast description of which Telugu symbols are related to which swaras.

Many thanks to you!

twister

Post by twister »

Ok,

I've figured out Sa, Gha, Ma, Pa, Dha =)

Two more to find out =) Well, tivra / komal signs won't be unnecessary =)

thanx to http://www.omniglot.com/writing/telugu.htm

twister

Post by twister »

Hi again,

First, sorry for the bothering - I'm just becoming too obsessed about your beautiful art =)

Now, I have a business proposition for you, concerning the task of preserving and popularization of the art of raga. So, if you're interested in this, here what I come with.

I've found scans of the following books written in english about raga:

1. Ragas And Raginis Vol-I. Gangoly O.C.. 1935. 262 pgs.

2. Six Principal Ragas Ed. 2. Tagore, Sourindro Mohun. 1877. 102 pgs.

3. The Ragas Of Karnatic Music(1938). Ramachandran. N. S. 1938. 242 pgs.

If my memory is not at fault, the copyright laws are not in force for them, due to their age. So, I could make some work of recongition them into text format and publishing here in the web. Please let me know whether this makes sense in your point of view? And why.

And, in your turn, I need some help.

There are also some very interesting books were found by me. One in Telugu, - that one mentioned above about Manodharma Sangeeta. If it's all right about copyright and any other consideration you might take into account, maybe someone could translate them into english? Let me know, and I'll provide you with details on this (and link, also).

Also, there are some nice and not-so-large books published somewhere in 1930-ies dealing with particular ragas and their structure and elaborations. They're in hindi, and they're really small. I see that's beyound the scope of your interest and of your native culture (as that's all are Hindustani raags), but.. just maybe anyone here is interested?

Please, let me know what d'you think about this? Yeah, it's somewhat altruistic task, I see.

Thanx again!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Hats off to your dedication, twister.

Copyright (my knowledge is from UK and out-of-date so I won't try to be specific) is quite likely to be relative to the death of the author/artist, rather than the date of publication of the work. It is also a word not often spoken in India!

brainlara

Post by brainlara »

i am interested in the books in hindi dealing with hindustani ragas. i am not sure what you have in mind for them. i mean how much altruism do you envisage? :)
and i think copyright is relative to date of publishing. it used to be 50 years i think. oh, and this is a native of deccan interested in khayal music

tpchakrapani

Re: Telugu (a strange petition)

Post by tpchakrapani »

namaskaram i am chakrapani a disciple of nookala and pinakapani garu the book is by pinakapani garu you will have a an english version soon by us please visit us on sacred.org.in

hemanth

Book on manodharma sangeetham

Post by hemanth »

KMBC:
Dear Sir the book manodharma sangeetham by pinakapani is available
Only in Tamil. In mean time Akella mallikarjuna sharma has
Published a book on manodharma sangeetham
Kindly follow the link which is below

http://carnaticbooks.com/advanced_searc ... 72f734c46b

nandiraju

Re: Telugu (a strange petition)

Post by nandiraju »

There is a book available written in English by Sri. Akella Mallikarjuna Sarma on swaraprastara. If you are interested, you may write to him on msakella2002@gmail.com