veenavadhini - aardhradesi

Rāga related discussions
chingan

Post by chingan »

Dear All
In all the books of Dikshithar compiled by various authors, the raga for 'Sri Ganesaathparam' has been mentioned as 'Ardhradesi'. In some books the name Ardhradesi has been mentioned as well in brackets it has been mentioned as 'Veenavadhini'. Both these two ragas are not same. If we hear the recordings of some leading musicians, it sounds as veenavadhini ragam.
1. Is there any recording of this song in pure Ardhradesi available.
2. Can it be sung in Veenavadhini.
3.Is there any other recordings on veenavadhini as well as Ardhradesi available.
Narasimhan

vInavadini
28 harikAmbhOji janya
Aa: S R2 G3 P N2 S
Av: S N2 P G2 R2 S

ardhradEsi
15 mAyamALava gowLa janya
A: S R1 G3 M1 P D1 N3 S
Av: S D1 P M1 G3 R1 S

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

The song is in the mAlavagaula janyam version..
It is the great misfortune of our music system that 'eminent' musicians who have a large fan following, and hence have a responsibility towards the music system and rasikas; disregard all this and sing Dikshitar's song in VeenAvAdini, and ShAma shAstri's song in Some outlandish Gomedhakapriya and what not..

For a proper ardradEsi, look at the sangeethapriya page with Dikshitar's songs..

erode14

Post by erode14 »

T.MKrishna rendered shrI gaNESathparam in one of his concerts for Guruguhanjali many years ago. When I asked the same to Dr.Srivatsa the next day, he explained me that ArdhradhEsi is just like mAyAmALava gowLa, but the gAndhAram is sung three times in avarOhaNam.

(That was a memorable three day series with concerts of T.M.Krishna, Balaji Shankar and Shri TRS with UKS Sir held at BVB main hall. See Hilarity in Concerts - post 270 for a story told by Srivatsa).
Last edited by erode14 on 28 Mar 2009, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

vainika

Post by vainika »

erode14

Post by erode14 »

oh... I had totally forgotten... :(