Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

RC, Cml sir - beautiful!Is the current way of playing the vInA a late innovation?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

For a list of compositions in ghaNTa

http://indiamusicinfo.com/songs/raga/ghanta.htm

ninja. I see you had previously started a thread on the rAga

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=631

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

DRS sir,

I think not many people were intereted in that thread... There seems to be nowhere that I can find a description of ghanTa... the refrain seems to be that "its a phrase based raga", and that's all..

Can you shed some light on the raga? There are so many kritis and padams, it must have been fairly familiar during the time of the trinity...

Cheers..
Last edited by ninjathegreat on 08 Sep 2006, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

drshrikaanth wrote:he/she would not be thinking on terms of half kalyANi- half SivapantuvarALi. They will only be thinking of suvarNAngi. Every mELakarta rAga is basically 2 halves of some other rAgas.
Well said. That is exactly what I was thinking as well...

kartik

Post by kartik »

Incidentally,what do the books say about the time of the day when Suvarnangi is to be rendered?

kartik

Post by kartik »

OK,Here is the last composition of Wodeyar that I have,in Jayasamvardhini.Here is the link-

http://www.quickdump.com/files/1463615330.html

kartik

Post by kartik »

DRS and others,
all the recordings I have are with the Kannada introductions,some of them with anecdotes to the ones referred
to by Wodeyar.Do you want me to post them or is too late?
Last edited by kartik on 08 Sep 2006, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

mAtu of || pAhimAm SrI ||

rAga: jayasamvardhini ; khaNDa tripuTa tALa

pAhimAm SrI rAjarAjESvari |
parvata rAjakumAri EkAnEkAkShari bhuvanESvari ||P||

Ehi dEvi tvatpAda padma sEvanam |
dEhi sadA mama janani EkAmranAthESvari ||AP||

SrIvidyAmOdini manonmani |
SrIkaNThESvara jayasamvardhini |
avidyA mUla haraNa nipuNa caraNE |
avinASa kaivalya pradAntaHkaraNE |
anAdi paraSiva jAyE ananta guNa nikAyE analpa karuNA nilayE ||C||

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Notes on || pAhimAm SrI ||

rAga: jayasamvardhini ; khaNDa tripuTa tALa

pAhimAm- protect me; SrI rAjarAjESvari;
parvata rAjakumAri- Daughter of the king of mountains;
Eka anEkAkShari- You Who are in the form of the one syllable(Om or hrIm) as well as the alphabet; bhuvanESvari.

Ehi- Come near me; dEvi;
tvatpAda padma sEvanam dEhi- give me the service of your lotus feet;
sadA- forever; mama janani- my mother;
EkAmranAthESvari- Wife of Lord EkAmranAtha.

SrIvidyAmOdini- You Who are appeased by SrIvidyA; manonmani;
SrIkaNThESvara jayasamvardhini- You Who cause the growth and consolidation of the victory of Lord SrIkaNTha(Of nanjanagUDu);
avidyA mUla haraNa nipuNa caraNE- You Whose feet are skilled in uprooting ignorance;
avinASa kaivalya prada antaHkaraNE- You Who are favourable to granting eternal salvation;
anAdi- You Who are without a beginning;
paraSiva jAyE- Consort of paraSiva;
ananta guNa nikAyE- You Who are the abode of innumerable attributes; analpa karuNA nilayE- You Who are the abode of great compassion.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

kartik wrote:DRS and others,
all the recordings I have are with the Kannada introductions,some of them with anecdotes to the ones referred
to by Wodeyar.Do you want me to post them or is too late?
Karthik,

It is never too late. I would love to have them . Thanks.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Kartik
More than half of the kRtis discussed have the kannaDa introduction as well (they likely came from your collection). You can leave those out and zip the rest and post them here. They are always welcome.

Here are the ones that have the introduction. You may leave these out.

amRtavarShiNi, bAlacandrike, bhairava, bhavapriya, bhOgavasanta, cakravAka, cArukESi, dEvagAndhAri, dharmavati, dhEnuka, dUrvAnki, gamakakriya, gamanaSrama, gaurimaOhari, guNDakriya, hamsavinOdini, hATakAmbari, hindOLa darbAr, hindOLadESika, hindOLa, hindOLavasanta, jaganmOhini, janaranjani, kAmavardhini, kOkilabhAShiNi, kOkilapancama, lalita, latAngi, mANd, nAdabrahma, nAgadhvani, nArAyaNagauLa,nIlavENi, pratApavarALi, rAgavardhini, rAmapriya, RShabhapriya, SankarAbharaNa, Subha pantuvarALi, simhavAhini, simhEndramadhyama, sindhurAmakriya, SivakAmbOdhi, Suddhalalita, Suddha tODi, Suddha sALavi, supradIpa, suranandini, sUryakAnta, udayaravicandrike, valuLAbharaNa, vasanta, vIravasanta, vijayavasanta.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Jayasamvardhini is a rAga discovered by oDeyar. It is not found in treatises of music AFAIK. It is a upAnga janya of the 17th mELa sUryakAnta/ chAyAvati. Its scale is

SG3M1PD2N3S* | S*NPMGR1S ||

From the scale you can observe that it is very close to jaganmOhini. The ArOhaNa has D2 in addition while the avarOhaNa is identical. Both D2 and N3 are rendered with an upward swing. D2 is important to differntiate from jaganmOhini. It gives rise to SRngAra and vIra rasas as jaganmOhini does. It has a bright mood that is accentuated by the D2.

This short kRti is sprightly. As to why oDeyar may have chosen this name for the rAga, it could well be an autobiographical reference to his name. "jaya"

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Raja Chandra
Have you made progress in obtaining the remaining kRtis? We have only 2 left now. Lets have them. (i am rubbing my hands:)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

In the jayasamvardhini kRti, there are telling reminders of MD's kRti in (kamalA) manOhari "kanjadaLAyatAkShi".

"EkAnEkAkShari bhuvanESari", "EkAmrESa gRhESvari". Note that these two rAgas too are similar. The we have some reminders of the tarangiNi kRti as well in the usage of words.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

drshrikaanth wrote:Kartik
More than half of the kRtis discussed have the kannaDa introduction as well (they likely came from your collection). You can leave those out and zip the rest and post them here. They are always welcome.
I missed out many of the kritis. Kannada introductions will be nice if it is useful.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Suji Ram wrote:I missed out many of the kritis. Kannada introductions will be nice if it is useful.
Suji. Pinchry has posted the early kRtis on page 36. Click on this link

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=109&p=36

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks DRS

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Which 2 kritis are missing DRS?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Only these two Lakshman

93. SrI cAmuNDESvarIm- madhyamAvati- Adi.
94. bhuvanESvari- mArgahindOLa- Adi

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

DRS,

Yes, i have been promised all the 94 AIR broadcast recordings before the end of next week and waiting with crossed fingers !! Just hope it works out.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

drshrikaanth wrote:RC has noted that this name was chosen as he was born in 1919, the year of the victory of the allies in WW 1
Yuvaraja made jaya part of all his children's name.

jaya chamaraja, vijaya, sujaya, srijaya.

Here is small euolgy on JCRW written by vidwan V.nanjunda swamy

http://rapidshare.de/files/32420431/j1.mp3

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Last edited by Raja Chandra on 09 Sep 2006, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ananta guNa nikAyE

you the one who is the assemlage (heap) of countless qualities!
nikAya means assemplage/heap/congregation and also abode/dwelling place. Hence the meaning given also is correct but JC uses 'abode' in the next line and so this interpretattion avoids punarOkti!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Some more nostalgia on the thread. In the thread below, you will find the converstaion coolkarni and I had about lack of discussion on oDeyar compositions after he posted recordings. This was what led to the start of oDeyar thread. And here we are today!

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=36

kartik

Post by kartik »

I was trying to fish out a concert which has a Wodeyar composition as a main and have come up with one-
DKJ rendering Sri Jalandharam -Gambeera Nattai as a main.(with extended thani).Have one by DKP too,where the same piece is the main.

http://www.quickdump.com/files/1064721257.html

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

drshrikaanth wrote:Kartik

Here are the ones that have the introduction. You may leave these out.

amRtavarShiNi, bAlacandrike, bhairava, bhavapriya, bhOgavasanta, cakravAka, cArukESi, dEvagAndhAri, dharmavati, dhEnuka, dUrvAnki, gamakakriya, gamanaSrama, gaurimaOhari, guNDakriya, hamsavinOdini, hATakAmbari, hindOLa darbAr, hindOLadESika, hindOLa, hindOLavasanta, jaganmOhini, janaranjani, kAmavardhini, kOkilabhAShiNi, kOkilapancama, lalita, latAngi, mANd, nAdabrahma, nAgadhvani, nArAyaNagauLa,nIlavENi, pratApavarALi, rAgavardhini, rAmapriya, RShabhapriya, SankarAbharaNa, Subha pantuvarALi, simhavAhini, simhEndramadhyama, sindhurAmakriya, SivakAmbOdhi, Suddhalalita, Suddha tODi, Suddha sALavi, supradIpa, suranandini, sUryakAnta, udayaravicandrike, valuLAbharaNa, vasanta, vIravasanta, vijayavasanta.
Karthik,

Could you make that into two uploads, one as DRS sir has quoted, and the other with the rest of the ragas? I was not able to participate for most of the thread and would love to have these... This way, people who have downloaded earlier need not duplicate their stuff. Or, if those that have all of the ragas mentioned by DRS sir can post it, that would be great too... Sorry for the imposition... Thanks!

Cheers
Ninja

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

nice memories DRS
It has certainly been a journey to remember.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Ninja
Are you folowing? I reposted the link on last page when Suji asked. pinkchry has posted several kRtis already. Please look up previous page.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

drshrikaanth wrote:Ninja
Are you folowing? I reposted the link on last page when Suji asked. pinkchry has posted several kRtis already. Please look up previous page.
DRS sir,

Thanks for pointing that out... I missed the post where you had mentioned the repost... I will download it asap..

Thanks!!!

ninja

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Last time i posted a old image of turbaned Vidwans, friends here felt it is difficult to identify:

See Yuvaraja at Madras (1938):

You can certainly identify ARI, MV, Venkatagiriappa, HMB and may be you can identify the non-turbaned also.

Interested in the speech given by yuvaraja - a very scholorly lecture - at Madras:

http://rapidshare.de/files/32541760/knr ... e.pdf.html
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 10 Sep 2006, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thanks RCji. This is really good, you are coming out with priceless stuff. Ariyakudi looks so young. Isnt the person between him and Odeyar actually SSI?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Is the leftmost (with turban) HMB?
Karthik! Canyou confirm?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover wrote:Is the leftmost (with turban) HMB?
Karthik! Canyou confirm?
Definitely looks like him to me !

-Ramakriya

meena

Post by meena »

cml
yes it is sree HMB- the tall handsome one
and my be you can identify the non-turbaned also
is it Dr. Vinjamuri Varadaraja Iyengar?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Satyamurthy standing next to the yuvaraja?

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

I think my two pics of saturaday has kept the grey cells on a wild goose hunt !

Here is a jugalbandhi of sort :

http://www.quickdump.com/files/390277479.html
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 11 Sep 2006, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

RC
They are fascinating! While you are hunting for more pl fill in some historical details as well.

I am curious to know what prompted him to 'gift' the Kingdom of Mysore to the Indian Union on the eve of the Independence! Were there hot debates in the Kingdom during that time.

Was JC ever been considered for the award of Bharata Ratna for this voluntary act of sacrifice?

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

I notice only the Maharaja and Ariyakkudi are garlanded... Any idea what the occasion was?

RC sir - wonderful picture!

Ninja

meena

Post by meena »

I notice only the Maharaja and Ariyakkudi are garlanded... Any idea what the occasion was?
on the occasion of the 12th annual music conference held on Dec 23rd. 1938 @madras.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ninjathegreat wrote:I notice only the Maharaja and Ariyakkudi are garlanded... Any idea what the occasion was?
1938 was the year Ariyakkudi was conferred the sangeeta kalanidhi title. So he is garlanded. And oDeyar being the guest of honour is also garlanded. See here for list of SK awardees

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sangeetha_Kalanidhi#1930s

meena

Post by meena »

Oopsie ;)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

RC- Please point out which one among them is MV and Venkatagiriyappa.

HMB looks rather like N.S.Krishnan from tamil movies doesnt he?

arasi

Post by arasi »

T.V.Subba Rao is awarded SK in 1929 and 1930. I wonder why...

arasi

Post by arasi »

DRS,
He also looks like Chowdiah, I think.
R.C,
Old pictures, even in a family album can cause confusion. It is not as if our collective grey matter has gone on vacation:)

kartik

Post by kartik »

RC,
This photo is brilliant.One of the truly magnificient ones.One cannot take their eyes of the Yuvaraja or HMB on the left,standing tall and handsome.
The speech is excellent and very scholarly,as you pointed out RC avare.
Last edited by kartik on 11 Sep 2006, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

arasi wrote:T.V.Subba Rao is awarded SK in 1929 and 1930. I wonder why...
That is also the case with Sabesa Iyer - 1929 and 1934..

The situation is due to the following. Before 1942, there was no Sangitha Kalanidhi award. There was only the title of the president of the annual conference at the Music Academy - 3 presidents the first year, 2 presidents in the second year and 1 president in the rest of the years. After the formal award was instituted in 1942, the Academy decided all the previous presidents would also be considered Sangeetha Kalanidhis.

kartik

Post by kartik »

Is the third person from ARI,Sri.Koteeswara Iyer?(the one in the black and turban?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The tall turbaned one to the right of ARI appears to be C.P. Ramasvami Ayyar (as I remember). There was no reason for him to be there unless as a Royal guest...

RC

No more suspense! Do break the codes as You know them....

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

ARI presided over the Vidwans Conference and Yuvaraja presided over the inaugural function of the conference and thus both may have been honored with garland.

The man with jari peta is Vainika Venkatagiriappa and one next to him is MV.

Gentlemen next to Yuvaraja must be Alladi Krishnaswamy Aiyer.

Arasi, I konw how difficult it is, i also quoted the names as the text below the picture mentions the names i have mentioned ! I know very little when compared to most of you !
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 12 Sep 2006, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

The man with jari peta is Vainika Venkatagiriappa.
i can see 2 persons with jari peta, the far right 'fuzzy' vidwan and next to him, one holding an umberalla.