Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Suji Ram wrote:
ramakriya wrote:Added this kriti to the wiki page (generated by arunk's editor)

http://www.rasikas.org/wiki/sri-mahaganapatim-bhajeham

-Ramakriya
That' very nice . We could add the meaning of the kriti at the end given by DRS- in English offcourse.
Dear friends. I appreciate the interest and enthusiasm you all have in oDeyar and in my notes on his kRtis. At the same time, I want to make it clear that I Do Not want them to be copied and posted on Wiki or anywhere else. I have the intention of publishing these myself. Iam perfectly happy for people to give link to the discussion here at the forum; and also for the material to be shared privately for furthering interest in oDeyar and his kRtis so long as the interests are Non-Commercial. But otherwise, what I have discussed is as such my intellectual property copyrighted to myself.

Thank you all for your understanding and cooperation.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Agreed!
The discussion at JC thread as well as DRS thread are his intellectual property and his permission should be sought to copy or display in any other format. Of course a reference to the relevant thread can be provided without any ado! Let us all respect 'copy and intellectual property rights' which is the fundamental policy of this Forum!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Ramakriya

Very nice indeed! You have done a lovely formatting. I wish I could read :)

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

From a sense of serendipity to what a pity.

I feel as though i do not belong here !

sorry folks.

good bye and thanks

raja
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 31 Jan 2007, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

!
?

sridevi

Post by sridevi »

CML..
my thoughts exactly...

Sridevi

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

raja chandra wrote:From a sense of serendipity to what a pity.

I feel as though i do not belong here !

sorry folks. good bye and thanks
??? I failed to understand your statement. I don't think anything expressed had be averse to your contribution so far. I guess Dr Shrikaanth has the right to publish his postings of the lyrics of JCRW krithis as it was quite an effort on his part in doing so for thread and yours the instrumental task of getting the audio up (of course, with contributors pitching in) .

bala747

Post by bala747 »

I think (From what I have been reading on this thread as a lurker) it seems that RC probably (mis?)interpreted DRS like this:

"You all are free to discuss the krithis and my explanations here only for non commercial purposes because I want to make some money out of it, seeing how popular this thread has become because of the detailed posts by me and RC"

(Please correct me RC if I am wrong)

I personally don't see why putting them on the Wiki, with due credit given would affect sri DRS in any other way apart from commercial, nor do I see how it would affect his claim to intellectual property (after all, it would be credited as his contribution, seeing that he hasn't registered them with a registering body as his copyright). While there is nothing really wrong with publishing them for money, and sri DRS is fully within his rights to do so, it might not go down well with some people here, like sri RC who has contributed a great deal with his posts and uploads in the earlier and later halves of this thread, and now probably feels cheated that while he is willing to share what he has in terms of time and effort for altruistic motives, DRS has been thinking of using it for commercial purposes. Personally I don't care one way or another what DRS or whoever wants to do with his/her posts about any topic.

However, I thought however that anything posted on a public forum that has not been already registered as a copyright, the post automatically becomes public domain, and hence I don't think Sri DRS has any legal right to stop anyone from merely cutting and pasting from one section of the board to another (forum to wiki). I don't think he can actually do anything about it. Anything posted in a public forum like this one without having already been copyrighted immediately negates the claim of being someone's IP a posteriori. If he had already registered it before posting here, then his posts would be copyrighted, if he has not registered it yet, it's not claimable as his "intellectual property" nor is it "copyrighted to (him)self". If he wanted to publish it he should not have posted it here first. He should have published it and THEN posted it here. In fact most forums prohibit expressly the posting of already copyrighted material anyway.

Copyright laws in most nations states that a work in public domain is someone's IP only when it has been registered as such by that person beforehand and a person cannot claim copyright on things that he has not registered with a body that governs intellectual property. In fact even if DRS were to register it in the future, the law is murky on how applicable it would be to things that have been done in the past. At best he can, as a moderator, remove the wiki posts AFTER he has published them or at least after he has registered the bits of information as his IP with the copyright registering body in the UK. Mere expression of an intention to publish is not a good protection. He should have published it first and then discussed it here as the copyright owner, rahter than the other way round because legally he has not much to stand on at the moment. Furthermore it would have at least made his intentions clear about wanting to publish his interpretation of JC's krithis.

DISCLAIMER: I am not questioning DRS's motives nor am I making moral statements that what he is doing is right or wrong or neither. I don't care one way or another. I am just speaking from a third person's perspective, and from the perspective of someone who dabbles in copyright law a fair bit. All I am saying is he should not expect people to not post on the wiki just because he wants to do something with them at a future date. Also, words like "copyright" and "intellectual property" have many connotations and implications, both legal and ethical, and he should have been mindful of them before using them here.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Bala

You have gone too far speculating on the motives and behavior of two fine gentlemen. Unloading the dirty linen from your mind is disgusting bordering on slander. The legal issues (if any) can be resolved by concerned lawyers. We are all grateful for these gentlemen for sharing their wealth of knowledge with us at this Forum. The least we can do is to be respectful of their privacy and acknowledge their rights to their own thoughts and materials. Kindly desist speculating and from unwarranted Freelance legal advice. THANK YOU

bala747

Post by bala747 »

cmlover wrote:Bala

You have gone too far speculating on the motives and behavior of two fine gentlemen. Unloading the dirty linen from your mind is disgusting bordering on slander. The legal issues (if any) can be resolved by concerned lawyers. We are all grateful for these gentlemen for sharing their wealth of knowledge with us at this Forum. The least we can do is to be respectful of their privacy and acknowledge their rights to their own thoughts and materials. Kindly desist speculating and from unwarranted Freelance legal advice. THANK YOU
I accidentally hit Report instead of Quote. Mods please ignore it.

CML please don't misunderstand me. LEt me explain.

I already mentioned that I have no intention of questioning the motives of anyone. I did explain that very clearly, and there is nothing wrong with DRS publishing his posts for whatever reason, and we have no right to speculate on the motives, be they commercial, social, political or anything, BUT his post about the porting to Wiki was open to interpretation. I already made that expressly clear. However, his post was open to interpretation, and words like 'copyright' and 'intellectual property' are very loaded words, open to different interpretations and connotations. I merely pointed out that DRS should have registered his posts first before claiming copyright. That would have made this whole issue moot. Otherwise, his post was open to interpretation, and I pointed out one way his words could be interpreted. There was nothing inherently wrong in my interpretation of his words and I did never stick it on to RC as if he said it, nor did I imply that that was EXACTLY what he thought. I preceded my statement with "I THINK", meaning to say this was my personal opinion, and not of anyone else, be they RC or DRS.

In fact I expressly also pointed out that RC probably (mis)interpreted DRS and even put a line requesting a correction if I was wrong. What further precaution was there to take against my intention being misunderstood? What was so slanderous about that statement? It was an innocent speculation that had nothing to do with the motives of persons in question. People misinterpret words all the time.

You accuse me of unloading 'dirty linen of my mind' and dispensing 'freelance legal advice', which I think is far more 'slanderous' and unbecoming of someone your age and stature to call me that without even trying to see why I said what I said. I never called any of them any names, and I certainly did not have any motive for 'slandering' them. I was just particularly upset that RC had stopped posting after DRS's post and tried to speculate why. There is nothing wrong with speculating, whether you personally like it or not.

DRS I know has every right to publish what he posts here, and if he wants to, good for him. I have no personal stake in it, and neither do I have any in RC. However, as a moderator, he should also realise that his posts can be interpreted by different people in different ways, and if he was not comfortable with people porting his posts, then he should have put a copyright notice on his posts as a signature or something. It would have ensured that there is no misunderstanding. His motives or RC's motives have no bearing on the discussion in any way.
Last edited by bala747 on 01 Feb 2007, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I think what DRS is saying is that he has provided the explanations to the kritis for the members of the forum to derive non-commercial use, and not for being copied without his permission at other places outside of this forum. There is nothing more to it. DRS is entitled to publish his explanations/translations of the kritis which he has taken time to provide.

If Shri Raja Chandra has taken it in any other sense, maybe DRS and RC should get together to clear the misunderstanding, if any misunderstanding exists. Let us stop the mediation which we are attempting here. They both know each other and AFAIK they are on good terms with each other, so they can clarify their apprehensions with each other.

The wiki can do with the song lyrics alone, or with translations having the permission of the translator concerned.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

CML

What RC did & Bala wrote are absoultely right. If DRS had made his intentions clear at the begining, then those who contributed could have had a chance to decide whether they should contribute or not. After so many people have spent their time & effort in contributing to this thread , suddenly DRS claiming copyright does leave a bad taste.

If whatever one posts in a public forum can be claimed to be copyrighted, then internet will no longer be a source of knowledge. The very fact one posts in a forum means that he is willing to share his knowledge with the world. Look at the amount of code available in software sites. If the authors had wanted they could have made some real money by selling those codes, but they had chosen discussion forums & interenet as means of sharing whata they know. That is the spirit of online forums where you share your knowledge with unknown people.

Compare this with the work being done by msakella in talaprastara thread wherein he is posting from from his copyrighted, published books for the sake of sharing.

Compare this with the work of coolkarni who shares his music with us all just for the sake of sharing. I know the amount of time & money he spends in collecting those rare gems.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Raju,

DRS has not prohibited sharing of his translations/explanations if its going to be for non-commercial use. He merely doesnt want it to be republished elsewhere without his permission. This does not relate to kritis of Wodeyar, but only to his explanations for the same.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

srkris wrote:Raju,

DRS has not prohibited sharing of his translations/explanations if its going to be for non-commercial use.
srkis

i am sorry if i look like nitpicking. but is transferring from the thread to wiki page commercial? That was the suggestion to which DRS replied. So it is clear that he doesn't want the explanations to be posted in our own wiki which accrues no commercial gain to anyone.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I agree with the comments rajumds. I can't see much difference between a Wiki and this forum. If I am writing an article on the Mysore Maharajah and am researching on google I can search for "odeyar maharajah" and come straight to this forum. If it is proper research I would source anything I used from here with a link to the site.

SSK

Post by SSK »

May be I missed it. But the following is a rendition of Mysore Maharaja's composition "SadhaSivamUpasmahe" in Raga Sarasangi , Adi tala by Prof. Mysore Sri V. Ramarathnam in 1985 at Bangalore Gayana Samaja. The accompanying artists vidwan M. Chandrasekar on violin and Sri Vellore Ramabhadran on Mridangam. Vocal support is by Smt. Uma Prasanna and Smt Sukanya Prabhakar

http://mysorevramarathnam.org/Concerts/ ... odeyar.MP3

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayachamar ... ar_Bahadur
Excerpt:
"He had intended to be a concert pianist and had been accepted by Sergei Rachmaninoff as pupil.But the untimley death of both his father the Yuvaraja Kanteerava Narasimharaja Wadiyar in 1939 and his uncle the Maharaja Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV in 1940 meant giving up all ideas of a Musical career,as he had to succeed the throne of Mysore."

Imagine that - Wodeyar as a disciple of Rachmaninoff! Western music's loss is indeed a great gain for the world of CM.

And a lovely picture of two royals together...

JC Wodeyar with Queen Elizabeth II

meena

Post by meena »

Excerpt:
"He had intended to be a concert pianist and had been accepted by Sergei Rachmaninoff as pupil.But the untimley death of both his father the Yuvaraja Kanteerava Narasimharaja Wadiyar in 1939 and his uncle the Maharaja Krishnaraja Wadiyar IV in 1940 meant giving up all ideas of a Musical career,as he had to succeed the throne of Mysore."

Imagine that - Wodeyar as a disciple of Rachmaninoff! Western music's loss is indeed a great gain for the world of CM.
If u had read the complete HHJW thread, u would have made note that we had discussed Sergei Rachmaninoff: read post #1212

harish.krishnan213

Post by harish.krishnan213 »

Can someone post the links to download his kritis? i found a few in this thread which are not working!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

HM the Maharaja with Kripananda Variar

arasi

Post by arasi »

Vodeyar and Variyar are on the left and right (!). In the middle is the then chief minister Bhaktavatsalam.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

July 18th is JCW's birthday.

Here is a link to a speech by Mahamahopadhyaya Dr R Satyanarayana.

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2008/07 ... ra-odeyar/

(Translated by yours truly. This was posted earlier in this thread. Since there are a couple of thousand new members in the forum now, I thought this might interest those who had missed it the first time)

-Ramakriya

gowri

Post by gowri »

Can anyone please upload 'Kayo Sri Gowri' again?
Thanks.

SSK

Post by SSK »

I was told that couple of times a week, TV Stations in Bangalore are broadcasting presentations of compositions of wodeyar by various artists. The format of the presentation is something like lec-dem, wherein the artist presents a composition with explanation of meaning of Pallavi, AnuPallavi and Charana portions. I am wondering how some one not in Bangalore can get the see these broadcasts.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

SSK wrote:I was told that couple of times a week, TV Stations in Bangalore are broadcasting presentations of compositions of wodeyar by various artists. The format of the presentation is something like lec-dem, wherein the artist presents a composition with explanation of meaning of Pallavi, AnuPallavi and Charana portions. I am wondering how some one not in Bangalore can get the see these broadcasts.
That would be nice. I think the program's called "ShrIvidyA darShana."

In the meanwhile, watch and listen to Smt. nAgavalli nAgarAj, an exponent of oDeyAr kr.tIs, render some of them below. Thanks be to whoever put them up. They're also renditions of compositions of other composers as well.

1. ShrI mahA gaNapatiM - aThANA: http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=6FQooH77ETY

2. sarasvatim bhagavatim - hamsavinOdini: http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ_Am7L461I

3. brahmANDa valayE - mAND: http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=yxMzOBo-aEw

4. cintayAmi jagadambAm - hindOLam: http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=tS0IHHL-o0Q

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

kmrasika- Thanks for these links.

SSK

Post by SSK »

I believe sri S. R. Krishnamurthy (Grandson of Sangeetha Shastra Vishardha Sri Vasudevachar), is leading this effort.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Coolji- Thanks for this info & Invitation.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

I'm sure rasikas would love to attend this festival.........
Attendees are in for a Special Gift- A book containing 95 compositions of HH JW along with a statue too. I was keen to possess a book having HH's compositions.

svkashyap

Post by svkashyap »

Amrutavarshini (FM - 100.1MHz) is broadcasting ShreeVidya Darshana featuring compositions of H.H Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar every Firday at 9pm.

arasi

Post by arasi »

svk,
Thank you. Hope this continues and I can get to hear it at the end of the year.

Cool's post says 8th July is the date for JCW's birthday celebrations in Mysore. Hope a few rasikAs attend and report it on the forum too.

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Hi all,

Could anybody help with and re-post the recording of JCW's Narayana Desakshi krithi (O Jagadamba) and Madhyamavthi krithi (not sure of the pallavi) ? I missed to download it during discussions...

Thanks a bunch...

Sri

S Sankaranarayanan

Post by S Sankaranarayanan »

Regarding the date of Adhisankara as told by Kanchi math. Kanchi math records say that Adhisankara flourished from BC 509 to 477. But Sankara and his contemporary disciple Sureswara refer the Buddhist scholar Dharmakeerthi by name. Dharmakeerthi has been placed in AD7/8th century by Historians. He is referred in Tibet as a contemporary of Tibet king Strang-nbo who ruled in 8th century AD. So Sankara, who quotes Dharmakeerthi, could haved lived only after him, ie. in 8th Century AD. This completely strikes the Kanchi Math acharyas' list at its bottom.

bkishore

Re: Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Post by bkishore »

sir,

Pl reupload the links or share it on another link(mediafire)

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

Sirs,

Pl reupload all the wodeyar kritis.it will be useful to many rasikas like me.kindly use another link if error perisist.
bk_7in@yahoo.com
i'm in deperate need of all those kritis

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

Pl reupload the files from rapidshare. Or pl upload in mediafire or so.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

bkishore wrote:Sirs,

Pl reupload all the wodeyar kritis.it will be useful to many rasikas like me.kindly use another link if error perisist.
bk_7in@yahoo.com
i'm in deperate need of all those kritis
I suggest that you can visit my blog 'E-SWARA at at http://myblogkumara.blogspot.com/. In the side bar there are links to my Media fire account. You can choose Audio I. You can go in there and if you browse you can find a few of Wodayar's compositions which you can download.

venkatakailasam

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

thank u sir, i will scout for it sir

mohan

Post by mohan »

Book on Mysore Maharajah's compositions is to be released:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/175 ... osers.html

mohan

Post by mohan »

Text of 97 Jayachamaraja Odeyar compositions has been compiled in Sanskrit and English script with diacriticals by Dr PP Narayanaswami and is available at
http://www.musicresearch.in/categorydet ... ?imgid=161

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

To add to Mohan's posts:

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 237009.ece

Book is in Kannada and is available with Prism Book House, Banaglore. (praneshs@prismbooks.com)

Rsachi

An Adept King Composer – Jayachamaraja Wodeyar

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Rasikas,
Two days ago, I got a few minutes with a lovely book of essays, "Sangeeta Samaya" by Vidwan S.Krishnamurthy (grandson of Mysore Vasudevacharya). I was very happy to read the chapter on Wodeyar's compositions. I decided to share excerpts with you all, and so here goes my attempt at translation. I of course link the original Kannada text I scanned, here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdwf0vp02i9ui ... itions.pdf

I will do the translation in three parts. First Part:
A Time for Music
Author: S. Krishnamurthy
Publisher: DVK Murthy, Mysore 2002
What inspired the king to get into composing was a confluence of several qualities in him – his incomparable devotion, his special love for Sanskrit, knowledge of Tantrashastra, Mantrashastra, a keen interest in subjects of Vedanta, extensive competency in music, and an attitude of service without recompense. One day, after seeking the blessings of my grandfather (Mysore Vasudevacharya, his guru), he began this mammoth task. Once the sahitya or lyric of the composition would be ready, there would be a discussion of what raga would best bring out the mood and feeling of the lyric, which tala would be appropriate, what should be the musical idiom/syntax, how should the nade (rhythmical progression) be- a discussion that he would hold with my grandfather. As was the practice, I would notate the swaras of the song in Western notation and present it to him. The king would then play and study the song on the piano with that notation. By this time, the king was also quite familiar with the Carnatic system of swara notation and so I would present the song in that form as well. He would then ask me to sing the song and listen to it. He would then discuss his reactions with grandfather. Thus would the song be finalised and then be passed on to musicians.
As per tradition, the task of Maharaja’s compositions began with the prayer to Vighneshwara (Ganesha). “SrimahAgaNapatiM bhajEhaM” in Athana raga took shape on 17th August 1945. From then, the compositional exercise continued till 19 Dec. 1947 and the song that took shape that day was “SriranganAtha pAhimAM kRupAlaya” in Kalyanavasantha. All together 94 compositions with the mudra “srIvidyA” were created by the Maharaja.
Wodeyar was a SrIvidyA upAsaka(follower/practitioner). Hence his mudra “srIvidyA””. The tradition of SrIvidyA worship is very ancient. The yantra (mystic design) of “SrIchakra”, Panchadashi or Shodashi mantra (mystic prayer), the rituals connected with “srIvidyA”, are the three components of this worship. “srIvidyA” practitioners are rare. But those who have faith in “SrIchakra” are many. They have faith that having even one “SrIchakra” symbol in the house would confer wish fulfilment, even if it is not worshipped with discipline. There is traditional belief that Adi Shankara installed the SrIchakra in Tirupati temple and hence its effect has made the goddess Lakshmi reign with such flourish there.
SrIchakra has 9 triangles, and hence is called ‘navayonatmaka” symbol. Of these, four are Shiva chakras, five are Shakti chakras. The mystic union of Shiva and Shakti is the inner truth, the core of “srIvidyA” worship. These nine trangles/chakras symbolise the cosmic processes of creation, sustenance, and destruction. The compositions of Wodeyar contain in full measure the details of “srIvidyA” and “SrIchakra” worship and rituals.

rshankar

Re: An Adept King Composer – Jayachamaraja Wodeyar

Post by rshankar »

Rsachi - we had a very extensive discussion on 'oDeyaru' a few years back...
Mods: Can you merge this with that older thread?

rajeshnat

Re: An Adept King Composer – Jayachamaraja Wodeyar

Post by rajeshnat »

rshankar wrote:Rsachi - we had a very extensive discussion on 'oDeyaru' a few years back...
Mods: Can you merge this with that older thread?
Yes indeed it had two sets of posts in two threads I and II
Mods - Please merge this post with Part II of the thread in the url
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... start=1250

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Merged. Thanks Rsachi, rshankar and rajeshnat. Please continue here.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

sure. I will also read the first 50 pages of this thread before posting parts 2 and 3 of the article.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

A Time for Music
Part II of the essay continued from post #1269

Wodeyar did not foray into compositional forms of varna, tillana and so on, apart from kirtanas. His principal intent was to compose offerings of prayer and praise of the Lord in a submission of gratitude.
Among the Maharaja’s compositions, around thirty are In janaka (mela) ragas : Charukeshi, Gowrimanohari, Hemavati, Dharmavati, Vishwambhari, Hatakaambari, Lathangi, Simhendramandhyama, Shankarabharana, Kalyani, Suryakanta, Ramapriya, Rishabhapriya, Shanmukhapriya, Vagadheeshwari, Ragavardhini, Shadvidhamargini and so on. The rest have been set by him to unusual janya ragas. And remember, there are so many janyas of the 29th melakarta Dheerashankarabharana itself!
Nagadhwani, Suranandini, Kokilabhashini, Hamsavinodini, Narayana Desakshi, Durvanki etc.
In the same way, credit is due to Wodeyar for adeptly employing and making popular many other rare ragas such as Bhupala panchama, Bhogavasantha, Balachandrika, Bhanuchandrika, Hamsanatani, Nilaveni, and Shivakambodhi.
Among Wodeyar’s compositions, thirty three are in Adi Tala. The other compositions have been set to Sankirna Triputa, Chaturashra Dhruva, Chaturashra Mathya, Mishra Jhampa, Khanda Triputa and so on.
In keeping with the style of Sri Muthuswami Dikshitar, the king has woven the names of ragas appropriately and meaningfully in the right places in his songs. For example, the song in Jaganmohini begins with the words, “jaganmOhinIM haramOhinIM”. The kirtana in Kokilapanchama has the line in the Anupallavi, “nArAyaNIM kOkila panchamarAgiNIM”. “nAgarAjAdi bhakta SankarAbharaNayutaM” is another instance. With a few exceptions, the raga names have all been beautifully incorporated into the lyrics of the compositions.
Wodeyar’s compositions are not simple lyrics. They are not a mere string of the Lord’s praises. Pronunciation is difficult. The use of atheeta and anaagata grahas is quite frequent. In short one can say that Wodeyar’s compositions do not yield themselves to easy mastery. They call for great application and massive effort is a must.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Third and final part continued from #1274
A Time for Music
Part III of the essay continued from post #1274

As soon as the compositions saw the light of day, vidwans and musicologists readily hailed them as compositions that would stand alongside Dikshitar’s compositions. Many of these compositions have become famous nowadays and entered the mainstream repertoire all over south India.
An episode: Vid. Semmangudi was giving a vocal recital in Malleshwaram Sangeeta Sabha. He sang the Maharaja’s composition in Nadanamakriya, “Siva Siva Siva bhO mahAdEva” in a magnificent manner. There was a deluge of applause. “Whose composition could this be?” was the curious question on everyone’s mind in the audience. Semmangudi answered, folding his hands, “this composition is the gracious gift of your own Maharaja!” There was no limit to the joy and pride in the hearts of the listeners.
In another instance, Vid. Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar cast a spell on the audience with the Wodeyar composition, “SrIjAlandhara”in Gambhira Nata. He sang the sarvalaghu chittaswaras in that song in an incomparable manner. The beauty of his singing was enhanced by the majesty of mridangam accompaniment of another great, Vid. Palghat Mani Iyer. It was as if a golden flower cast an ethereal fragrance. It was a stunning, mesmerising moment for everyone in the assembly.
The nightingale of Carnatic music, Vid. Subbulakshmi rendered the Nadanamakriya composition of Wodeyar in the United Nations and made him a world famous composer indeed.
It is indeed a wonder how the Maharaja was able to find the time to engage in pursuit of classical music and then venture into composition-making, in the midst of all his busy activities of administration and kingship. On occasion, we would have to wait for the session owing to his pressing engagements. But that time would then be used to engage in fruitful interactions with Maharaja’s close associates like Muddaraje Urs, K. Gurudutt, Captain Krishna, Gangadhara Shastri and other notables. That would be a great opportunity to discover more stories concerning the Maharaja’s large- heartedness, religious devotion, love of his subjects and high scholarship. And I would gladly listen to those stories, all ears!