Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
meena

Post by meena »

for wiki talk:
pl. use http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=27064#p27064

will move ramakriya/arunk posts.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Very useful Ramakriya. I like arunk's idea about coming up with a scheme that can be translated into different languages.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

The wiki area is really helpful. With regard to kaumaaram's query and to reduce ShrI rcchandra's burden of resurrecting the krithi clips, maybe it would help if posters could chip in by contributing the ones we managed to download. I found one this morning and it's the hamsavinOdini clip. I think I may have one or two more; will look.

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/yaxg

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Before i start posting the u/l of the kRuti's , i would like to post few relevant speeches on the vaggeyakara:

The following is a edited version of a speech by Prof.R.Satyanarayana many years ago:

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/6w4w

May be Sri. ramakriya will provide english transaltion of the speech with necessary editing !
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 26 Nov 2006, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Raja Chandra wrote:Before i start posting the u/l of the kRuti's , i would like to post few relevant speeches on the vaggeyakara:

The following is a edited version of a speech by Prof.R.Satyanarayana many years ago:

May be Sri. ramakriya will provide english transaltion of the speech with necessary editing !
A very nice speech about Maharaja - I will try to post a translation in a few days..

-Ramakriya

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks ramakriya!
I could almost follow the speech in Kannada but will relish it better if I can get all of it through translation. Incidentally I could learn some kannada expressions too!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The first paragraph is relevant to the discussion here: RC, do you know what kritIs have been included in this vAggEyakara vaibhava series?
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/11/24/stor ... 870300.htm

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Ravi,

sorry iam yet to possess this CD. A friend of mine has already purchased a copy for me but we are yet to meet ! I will tell you when i get my copy.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RC,
I will wait for the list and your comments as well...

meena

Post by meena »

RC

are u aware if Hamsadhwani Creations or Smt. MS Sheela have a website?

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

meena,

Not to my knowledge !

There is a seminar at Houstan -Texas on wodeyars. rani Vijaya Devi's daughter Ms. Urmila Devi will be speaking.

http://www.kannadavrinda.org/htmls/royal2006.htm

You can also visit:

http://www.udbhava.com/udbhava/home.jsp

afree music portal

Anusha

Post by Anusha »

On 10th Dec, 2006 Sunday, there will be a concert featuring Maharaja Wodeyar's krithis, by Vid. MS Sheela.
Venue: ANANYA Sabhagana, 4th Main, Bet. 11th and 13th cross, Malleswaram,Bangalore
Time: 5 p.m.

meena

Post by meena »

Anusha

thanks for the info.

SSK

Post by SSK »

In the following site you can find, Prof. Mysore Sri V. Ramarathnam's rendition of Maharaja's composition

SadhaShivam Upasmahe - Raga: Sarasangi

http://mysorevramarathnam.org/Concerts/ ... odeyar.MP3

Accompanying artists are Vidwan M. Chandrasekar on Violin and Vidwan Vellore Sri Ramabhadran on Mridangam. This one is from his Bangalore Gayana Samaja concert in 1985.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Ravi,

Here is the deatils of CD released by Hamsadhwani creations:

Compositions of Sri Jayachamaraja Wodeyar
Vaaggeya' Vaibhava Vol-4
The Glory of Mysore Composers

Krithis Raga Tala

1. Chinthaya Sadhaa Sindhuraamakriya Adi
2. Amba Sree Bhogavasantha Adi
3. Kaamaakshi Janaranjini Roopaka
4. Sri Ranganaatha Kalyana vasantha Misra Jhampe
5. Maanayatha Kokilapriya Tishra Jhampe
6. Kaamaakshi Paahimaam Shivakaambodhi Khanda triputa
7. Umam Namaami Hemavathi Misra Jhampe
8. Bramhanda valaye Maand Adi

Sung by: Ganakalshree Vid. M.S.Sheela
Accompaying Artists: Vid. C.N.Chandrashekar on Violin, Vid. Anoor AnanthaKrishna Sharma on Mridanga. Vid. Giridhar Udupa on Ghata.

Produced and Marketedby: Hamsdwani Creations, # 5, 3rd Cross, 1sr Main, Maruti Extension, Bangalore- 560021
Ph: 23325302, Mobile: 9880728271
PRICE: Rs.75.00

“Hamsadhwani Creations" is providing a great opportunity to listen to the compositions of Mysore Composers under "Vaaggeya Vaibhava" series. The project aims at propagation of the compositions of Mysore composers. These composers have indeed given Carnatic music a treasure house of compositions. It’s archival value apart, the
project will be of immense help to eager learners, and will serve as an invaluable source of reference to the younger generation too. In this Volume - IV, there are eight compositions of Sri. Jayachamaraja Wodeyer.

His Highness Late Sri. Jayachamaraja Wodeyar Bahadur was the 25th & the last king from the illustrious Wodeyar dynasty, the kingdom of Mysore. He was a Vaaggeyakara, Philosopher, Political thinker and Philanthropist. He was a connoisseur of classical music (both Western & Carnatic). He was a Sri Vidya Upaasaka and has composed 94 compositions under the Mudra "Sri vidya" , which are an invaluable contribution to the treasure of Carnatic music. Some of the ragas like, Shivakambodhi, Hamsanatani, Suranandini are his own creations.
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 10 Dec 2006, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

RC
Thanku very much, will ask my folks to pick up the series set.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks RC...

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

ramakriya wrote:
Raja Chandra wrote:Before i start posting the u/l of the kRuti's , i would like to post few relevant speeches on the vaggeyakara:

A very nice speech about Maharaja - I will try to post a translation in a few days..

-Ramakriya
Finally I made it :D within a few months!

Sure it is long, but for those who did not understand the speech in Kannada, I recomment reading it.

Prof R Satyanarayana on Jayachamarajendra Odeyar:

It was JCW who conceived the idea of starting a music college at the University of Mysore. When efforts were put in that direction for the first time, it had to be shelved because of the mutual jealousy of some musicians. Later, with the foresight for starting college of lalita kalA institution, JCW left a large sum of money as a donation (datti) to the Mysore University. That was the seed money from with this great institution was started from. There is a special relation between Mysore University and the Maharaja. It was indeed here where His Highness attended the classes just like a commoner, and got his degree. Mysore University should be congratulated and thanked for teaching a member from the royal family along with common people and make a scholar out of him.

Before considering him as a composer, let me tell a few things about his expertise in music. Even when he was very young, he took on interest in western music with his father’s influence. Many people may not know that JCW stood first in the extremely difficult music examinations from Cambridge and Trinity colleges in London. He was an excellent piano player. His sisters were also experts on the piano. JCW was invited to Europe and America several times not because he was a King, but because of his expertise on the piano, and his insight into Indian ‘darshana’s. He has performed on the piano at a large number of prestigious halls, and spoken in front of elite audience in many of these countries.

Apart from this, JCW’s vision and understanding of Indian music had a great depth and width. Before he was crowned, he did ‘shishyavritti’ with Sri Vasudevachar (in vocal music), and also with Veena Giriyappa (for Veena) for a short term. The music he learnt from these teacher-duo (even though it was for a very short time) flowered and bore wonderful fruits. We can see an example of his critical abilities and knowledge of music in his address at the Music Academy’s annual conference. This inaugural address at the Music Academy’s annual conference, which he delivered in the year when Mysooru Chowdayya was the President of the conference proceedings, was so sparkling that it made all the earlier conference addresses seem very dull. This showcased Maharaja’s internal vision into the shAsrta aspects, darshana, Vedanta aspects, and the expertise he had in lakshya. The examples and suggestions he gave to fellow musicians to reach their goals, was so inspiring then, and is so even now.

I can talk a lot more about him, but it is not the right time. I would now like to concentrate on the specialty of his vaggeyakaratva. Vaggeyakara is a technical term used to indicate a person is one who provides the mAtu, and rAGa and tALa (svara laya bandha) for a composition; there were two reasons for him to become a vaggeyakara. The first one was the breadth and depth of musical the practical experience viz the music which he had imbibed from his gurus like Venkatagiriyappa and Vasudevachar; the influence and exposure to hindustani music which he got from his uncle that can be seen in his compositions in rAgas like mAnd, and his practical and theoritical expertise in Western music.

When he started composing there was one more major influence in his compositions. If you look at the invitation you have received, in the first page, you can see it starts as “jayaratna jayachamarajendra oDeyarâ€
Last edited by ramakriya on 13 Jan 2007, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks ramakriya
that makes tha kannada speech more understandable. Gives us a good historical perspective.
Now await the postings of the kritis from RC.....

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Thank you rAmakriya avare,

Excellent job .

i am sorry i did not notice your post till now.

thanks once again

raja

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

As promised, I am going to post all the 94 kRuti's in due course.

I will begin with a rendering of the erstwhile Mysore Kingdom's Anthem incorporating the Maharaja's name.

http://www.rogepost.com/n/3877138985

Here is a General introduction on the contribution of the Wadiyar Kings to the cultural Heritage and Maharaja Jaya Chamaraja Wadiyar's contributions:

http://www.rogepost.com/n/2515271602

I hope the above introduction though in kannada is easy to follow for others also. If any one desires some of us will chip in with translation.
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 26 Jan 2007, 00:46, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

:):):) Thanks RC

for mysore anthem txt. 'kAyau shrI gauri' , RC has posted:
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=3455#p3455

Raja Chandra wrote:I thought one would ask the question on the coronation song !

My best guess is being a hardcore Mysorean, MV probably sang the Mysore state anthem kayoshree gowri. An amateur rendering of the same can be downloaded

http://rapidshare.de/files/9054785/01Ka ... i.mp3.html

This song was composed for the coronation ceremony of chamaraja wadiyar ix ( grand father of JCRW). When British Resident fixed the coronation ceremony they were surprised to know there is no state anthem. Then a court poet Basappa Shastry ( 1843-1891) composed and the same was rendered on the coronation day. Ever since then this became a state anthem and it was rendered by both the carnatac band and western band alike in their own style. Obviously it was also rendered in HM style also.

According to MV?s disciple Sri Channakeshaviah MV was fond of behag, mond, kaanada, sindhu bhairavi, maal kos, kamaaj and very often used to surprise everyone by singing Sanskrit shloka's with alaap in HM? style .

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks Meena,
I was searching for this. Lot of discussions on this before I joined this forum.
Anyone, what rAga is it in ?

Thanks RC, it will be fun to take the journey once again!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RC,
That was absolutely wonderful!!! What a sparkling anthem, brimming with joie de vivre!!:)
Sounds like a school choir rendering the anthem!
Too bad they sang only one of the 3 sparkling charaNas that you had originally posted!
Meena,
This is what I heard as the 3rd charaNa..some difference from the version that you have
provided the link to (I think RC wrote that from memory!)

cAmalikE cAmuMDike somakulajatEjA
jaya cAmarArAjEndra sunAma namudadE ||3||

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

rshankar wrote:cAmalikE cAmuMDike somakulajatEjA
jaya cAmarArAjEndra sunAma namudadE ||3||
Thanks Ravi
small correction- cAmAlike
cAmarAjEndra sunAmanamudaDE
Last edited by Suji Ram on 26 Jan 2007, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Raja Chandra wrote:http://www.rogepost.com/n/2515271602

I hope the above introduction though in kannada is easy to follow for others also. If any one desires some of us will chip in with translation.
RC,
The introduction is as lyrical as any of the Maharaja's compositions! Beautiful!

BTW, are the waDiyArs/oDeyArs from the chandrakula? I assumed they were from the sUryakula...but here, the maharAja is refered to as the luminous descendant of the sOmakula!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

http://choti-moo-confessions-of-a-bigmo ... ns-in.html
"there was no temple dedicated to the Lord Krishna to whose vamsa, the Yadu vamsa, the Wodeyar dynasty traces its decent"
And we are told that Krishna is the lord of Chandravamsa (just as Rama belongs to Suryavamsa) - thus the Wodeyars do have their links to sOmakula.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

RC
Thanks. I second Shankar. The talk is as sweet as music. No need for a translation!

Now let us have a second round of the divine music. Also don't hold out on related historical details. Let us do some time travel.

And of course the related pictures of the Raginis that you have not posted yet (with the sanskrit shlOkas)!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

jayaram wrote:And we are told that Krishna is the lord of Chandravamsa (just as Rama belongs to Suryavamsa)
Interesting that kriSnA was born into the kula of sItA in the previous yuga!

When hanumAn describes the 'trailOkaya griha dampatI' this is how he starts to describe them alternately:

ayOdhya pura nEtAram
mithilA pura nAyikAm
rAghavAnAm alankAram
vaidEhAnAm alankriyA
raghUnAm kuladIpam cha
nimInAm kuladIpikAm
sUrya vamSa samudbhUtam
sOma vamSa samudbhavAm

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

rshankar wrote:Too bad they sang only one of the 3 sparkling charaNas that you had originally posted!
ravi, Last part of the charNa is always modified to incoporate the name of the King like chamaraja - krishna raja or jaya chamaraja .

Fuller version of the Anthem ( with King Krishna raja's name) can be d/l ( it is not as good as the AIR version) :

http://www.rogepost.com/n/3621823435

Wadiyar/Wodeyar/oDeyar claim their ancestory to Krishna.

As the folklore goes two young yadu princes from Dwaraka known as Yaduraya and Krishna were on a visit Yadugiri (Melkote) on a pilgrimage. Later they visited mysore and were staying in the kalabhiarva Temple (today, this is a small shrine next to someswara temple on the eastern side of the Myosre Palace fort) near the huge lake(dodda kere - which no longer exists). They came to know that the local king had recently died leaving his wife and daughter under the clutches of his army chief. Mara-Nayaka. On divine ordain of goddess chamundewari and a jungama they are said to have rescued the damsel in distress and the kingdom! Yaduraya married the young princess and was crowned as the new King. Thus chivalry and romanticism marked the beginning of Wodeyar dynasty which was founded in 1399.
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 26 Jan 2007, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Very nice! Thanks RC for that tidbit.
(On another note, Smt. Vyjayantimala Bali's paternal grandmother was called Yadugiri Devi/Ammal...wonder if she hailed from that part of Karnataka!)

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

rshankarji,

mahAlakSmI thAyAr at mElkotE temple or tirunArAyaNapuram or yAdavAdri or yadugiri is called yadugiri nAcciyAr. A lot of iyengar ladies in tamizh nADu, Andhra pradES, karnATakA have been given the same name. But in Vyjayanthimala Bali and her grandmother's case, IIRC they are from mAnDyA, near maisUrU.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

yadugiri, AKA mELukOTe, is in manDya disrtict of karnATaka. It is to here Ramanujacharya fled from Srirangam, and took refuge, and spent several years.

-Ramakriya

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Vaishnava Reformer Ramanujacharya fled from the persecution of the chola king early in the 12th century and took up residence at Melkote- Melukote- yadugiri and lived there for 14 years. It thus become the chief seat of Sri Vaishnava sect and reaped the benefit of the conversion by their apostle of the Hoysala King Biiti Deva - later known as Vishnuvardhana, in obtaining assignment of all the fertile tracts of the land in the neighborhood especially of the Ashta Gram on either side of Cauvery

Even today Iyengar’s from here are better known as Mandyam Iyengar’s. In the 17th century Iyengars faced persecution by Tipu and over 700 families are said to have been killed by him as Pradhan Tirumalaiyengar and his brother were in the forefront of saving of the ancient Wadiyar family from his clutches.

Read:

http://www.india-forum.com/articles/152 ... -&-kids%3F

Tirumaliengar family later settled in Chennai (even then known as chennai patna). (NDTV News anchor Sreenivasan Jain hails from this family - from the mother’s side). May be Vyjayanti Mala’s family were among the many who left Mandya - Melkote and settled in Chennai. (Even Jayalalita is a Mandyam Iyengar).

Vyjayanti Mala's mother, Vasundhara Devi was also an accomplished dancer and a Film Personality. During 1938 when Yuvaraja ( father of JCRW) visited Chennai for the Music Academy’s inauguration, Vasundhara Devi performed on stage and caught his attention and later she went along with her husband and young Vyjayanti on the last European Tour of the Yuvaraja in 1939. Yuvaraja always took a whole entourage of Musicians and dancers on his tour and entertained his guests with concerts and performance from his artists. Veena Venkatagiriyappa had to write many a compositions in Western notations to help them. On this fateful tour Yuvaraja was also accompanied for the first time by his wife, daughters and JCRW and his wife Satyaprema Kumari. Vasundhara Devi and even young Vyjayanti are supposed to have performed before the Pope on this tour. But as the World war broke out most of them had to return on a chartered flight. But Yuvaraja stayed on in Hague and returned much later and died at Anchorage (next to Taj Hotel) at Bombay.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RC,
You are veritable treasure trove of information on Mysore/Karnataka history!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Thank you Ravi -but not quite true !

Continuing with where i left:

Anent to the European Tour above mentioned, JCRW - hardly 20, newly married and without any inkling of the double tragedy which was going to befall on the family and the thought of shouldering the yoke of responsibility of ruling the state - was contemplating seriously of becoming a concert pianist ! During this tour he met Sergei Vasilievich Rachmaninoff - a Russian composer, pianist, and conductor, one of the last great champions of the Romantic style of European classical music and was readily accepted by him as a pupil ! But it was not to be and the rest as they say is History.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

||atha mahAgaNapatidhyAnaM - mudgalapurANE||

hastIMdrAnanamiMducUDamaruNacCAyaM trinEtraM rasAdAshliShTaM priyayA sapadmakarayA svAMkasthayA saMtataM|
bIjApUragadEkShukArmukalasaccakrAbjapAshOtphalavrIhyagrasvaviShANaratnakalashAn hastair^vahaMtaM bhajE ||
- raktavarNaH

mahArAja shrI jaya chAmarAja oDeyara kRutigaLa shuddhasAhitya

kRuti : 1

|| shree mahA gaNapatiM bhajEhaM ||

rAga: aThANa (29 neya mELakarta dhIrashaMkarAbharaNadalli janya)
tALa: AditALa.

A: sa ri2 ma1 pa da2 ni3 sa
ava: sa ni3 da2 pa ma1 ga3 s ri2 sa

|| pallavi ||

|| shreemahAgaNapatiM bhajEhaM ||
|| shivAtmajaM ShaNmukhAgrajaM||

||anupallavi||

|| siddagaNasEvitaM vighnanAshakaM||
|| shIghravara prasAdadAyakaM ||
|| sadayaM kapila munivaradAyakaM||
|| gurusEvAsaktaM hEraMbaM ||shrI||

||charaNa - 1||

|| j~JAnamudrAlaMkRutaM moolAdhAranivAsinaM ||shrI||

||charaNa - 2||

||gajAraNyavAsinaM jyOtirmayaM upaniShatsAraM||
||paMchabhootAtmakaM siMdhoorapriyaM paMchamAtaMgamuKaM ||shrI||

|| charaNa - 3||

|| kAmEshanayanaahlAdakaM nAgaliMgavaraputraM ||
|| shreevidyA citprabhAnaMda rAjayOgIMdravaMditaM ||

...............ciTTe svra.......||shrI||

First composition of the composer .Composed on Aug 17, 1945

You can d/l :

http://www.rogepost.com/n/7098035703
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 29 Jan 2007, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

RC

Can u pl. check the rogepost link.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Meena,

i have u/l again and corrected the link . Pl check again. thanks

meena

Post by meena »

Works, thanks

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Great RC!
Do continue to post the pictures along with the kritis. What year was this picture?

What happened to the ciTTa svara?
Do you have access to the notes of these compositions prepared by JC himself? Can they be released?

meena

Post by meena »

What happened to the ciTTa svara?
ciTTasvara:
S, Snpdnpmp g,-mrs |r,, s rs, r, -m, -p, -n ||
SnSR, -MRS nRSn, S-d, |nS,, -R nS d,, pmp-g,-mpn ||

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Raja Chandra-avare
Welcome back to this thread after a long hiatus. God to see a renewed interest.
A request- when you post uploads, could you give a link to the earlier discussion on the kRti by myself and others. I would like others (And myself) to read the previous discussions again. Also, the lyrics are already posted, so can avoid repeating the same. Of course do keep your anecdotes and any new info coming, be it about the kRti itself or about oDeyar and his circumstances. Thanks for understanding.

For the athANa kRti. Here is the link for the lyrics (post 845) and previous discussion

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=145&p=34

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Raja Chandra: Thank you so much for rejuvenating the thread with posts of the krithis. Love to hear them while following the discussions. On the subject of this first krithi of the mahArAjA, since it is mentioned in the sAhitya, does this krithi specifically refer to the diety at gajAraNyam? Also, I have heard a a different wording of the anupallavi: Shr.tajana sEvitam. Is this also acceptable?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks meena

Good idea DRS, it is nice to revisit the old stuff in context. Besides we have the meaning for the kritis there.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Added this kriti to the wiki page (generated by arunk's editor)

http://www.rasikas.org/wiki/sri-mahaganapatim-bhajeham

-Ramakriya

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

ramakriya wrote:Added this kriti to the wiki page (generated by arunk's editor)

http://www.rasikas.org/wiki/sri-mahaganapatim-bhajeham

-Ramakriya
That' very nice . We could add the meaning of the kriti at the end given by DRS- in English offcourse.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ramakriya
Nice work! But I thought it was the accomplishment of Baraha! Rc could explain the potential of Baraha.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover,

you can do it with baraha too. Earlier, I had created a few wiki pages with baraha as well. But that involves more steps.

I should definitely give credit to our Arunk is that his utility can handle multiple scripts more easily than baraha can - with no changes in transliteration :) (as for as I have seen) since it's intention is to read/write the lyrics in one language in multiple scripts.

As an experienced baraha user*, I can say that baraha is a very useful editor meant for native readers/writers in a specific language. Baraha kannada users 'know' that the word candra has an anuswAra written in kannaDa, and intentionally transliterate it as caMdra; Similarly baraha tamil users will write the word kATru as kARRu. So, with these language specific transliteration schemes, which are not 100% compatible with each other always, a user may have to make some edits when he wants the text appear in a different script other than it's native language.

-Ramakriya

p.s: For an example of how we use baraha for our annual magazines here at Kannada Koota of Northern California, take a look at the following link.
http://www.kknc.org/?goto=about_magazine

This was the 2005 issue of Swarnasethu. Your's truly was the chief editor for the magzine in year 2006 - This issue has not made its way on the web yet :cool:
Last edited by ramakriya on 30 Jan 2007, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.