Ambujam Krishna

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
priyaram78

Re: Ambujam Krishna

Post by priyaram78 »

I actually meant to say...........please someone create a website for Smt. Ambujam Krishna. Her songs give so much joy. Wish a website comes up soon. Its a dream come true.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Lakshman wrote:
Ambujam Krishna's songs have been published (5 volumes so far) under the title Geethamala. These should be available from The Karnatic Music Book Centre in Royapettah, Chennai.
Thanks very much

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Yesterday (18 Oct 2014), I heard podigai in the evening- the program compered by TK Haribabu (father of keyboard sathya) and anuradha . The program was on Ambujam krishna , it was very informative and very well done . Smt Ambujam's son(industrialist suresh krishna from TVS family) and daugther(Radha parthasarathi) spoke wonderfully about smt ambujam(daugher in law of Industrialist TVS) . Also the dancer sudharani raghupathy and charumathi ramachandran (who tuned karna ranjani composition of smt ambujam ) spoke very well. Can we get a url of the recording placed here please(Attn haribabu, Venkatakailasam or TVG sir).

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Happy to hear this! Waiting for it to appear on youtube :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Yesterday (Nov 01st,2014) had a chance to hear the last 15 minutes of Ambujam krishna program in podigai . It was superb . AK son Suresh krishna spoke of how her mother had very minimal know how of languages like kannada and how she composed . AK daughter radha parthasarathi spoke so well about AK stay in madurai and how each of her family members started moving to madras .

R Vedavalli - a great orator we have to give her a second sangeetha kalanidhi for that . She spoke from her heart how she tuned a nattaikurinji number of Ak.She told how she struggled to tune the anupallavi though charanam and pallavi were much easier. She sang even few lines .

TKB
Any chance to see or hear the recordings . I did not see you in the last 15 minutes but saw the other cohost anuradha. Keep up your great work

On a side note we talk about senior citizens etc in another thread, Ambujam krishna has been so humble despite her wealth . She saw goodness in all things and that inspired her to compose and document her geetha mala . Truly a great role model for any one at any age. Life is all about unconditional love and Smt Ambujam krishna showed that in plenty.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Write up of Ambujam krishna centenary concert with vidushi Aruna Sairam performing
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/che ... 848754.ece

Arasi,
I am curious what is the first song of Ambujam krishna - "that was an emotional outpour on Goddess Mahalakshmi" as mentioned in the above writeup.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

It was on Meenakshi, not Mahalakshmi, and is titled 'Unnai Allal'

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

melam72 wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 17:44 It was on Meenakshi, not Mahalakshmi, and is titled 'Unnai Allal'
Melam72,
You are right with your keywords i searched and got more info from sriram v blog few years ago.
https://sriramv.wordpress.com/2008/11/1 ... m-krishna/

Unfortunately The Hindu has printed as Mahalakshmi and not Meenakshi

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
gAna mazhai became very popular in rAga mAlikAs, appealingly and aesthetically tuned by VVS.There is a richer rAgamAlikA in content, heft and length:dEvakitan kulakkozhundAi kuvalayathil avadarithAi, tuned by SS. Not many know of it.

In tODi, there are two not well-known ones: alaiya viDudal nyAyamA? and gati nIyE enRu. Not much sung also. A varALi one: engini selvEn, yAriDam solvEn? Wish vidvAns and vidUshis take them up...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

lAst week there was a write up of Ambujam krishna with a minor mention of aruna and photo
This week there is a writeup of Aruna Sayeeram giving more details about AK numbers that was sung Ambjuam krishna memorial concert
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/m ... 882349.ece

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Rajesh...
That tODi song, alaiya viDudal nYAyamA? is one of my favorites. That one and aDaikkalam aDaikkalam in madhyamAvathi were tuned by VVSadagopan.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I did not know till i read this 22nd , June ,2018 writeup in The Hindu that Ambujam Krishna was not a vaggeyakkara. I was assuming few numbers she also tuned , but i do know that Kedaranathan, Madurai Krishnan(disciple of ariyakudi and paramaguru of Hyderabad Ramamurthy) and TN Seshagopalan etc tuned many of her compositions

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... cky_footer

Arasi,
Do you have a rough list of which numbers of Smt Ambujam Krishna were tuned by which artists.?
Would be nice if you fish out details from Sujata Vjayaraghavan on how to get this book published by NGS trust and share here.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Did you see the personal mail I sent you?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Volume 1 - Ambujam Krishna songs - tuned by V.V.Sadagopan (51 songs)
Volume 2 - Ambujam Krishna songs - tuned by Semmangudi and Musiri (51 songs, tunesmith not specifically identified)
Volume 3 - Ambujam Krishna songs - 1 to 25 tuned by S.Ramanathan, 26 to51 tuned by T.N.Seshagopalan
Volume 4 - Ambujam Krishna songs - tuned by K.R.Kedaranathan (51 songs)
Volume 5 - Ambujam Krishna songs - tuned by Anantalakshmi Sadagopan (27 songs)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thank you LJI that was very userful info . By any chance can u just list the names of the songs and map it to tunesmith (if it is handy and available you post otherwise you dont have to type everything )

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Did you get my email?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Lji
I got your mail and I just checked now .thank you Sir. What you gave me is very valuable if I have time I will type it in English those songs so that folks know who has tuned which song of Ambujam Krishna .

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

If possible can someone tell who set to tune in BehAg this "VaruvAyendrun vazhipArthirunthein vAradhadheno raghunandhanA nE.." song of Smt Ambujam Krishna ?
Imo It's such a simple but moving lyrics by poet and beautifully set in behAg too. Unfortunately not many sing/aware of this catchy piece that can suit in the end of concert and from few renditions available in web I guess it's tuned by SSI due to artists from his line of disciples.
Thx

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, indeed. SSI tuned it. Interestingly, there is also another one tuned by him which starts with the words: varuvAi varuvAi enRun vazhi pArthu which is a rAgamAlikA in khamas, asAveri, behag, and paras.

KKishore

Post by KKishore »

Thanks for quick reply. Those songs are really catchy esp the behAg one for me

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Lakshman wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 02:49 Volume 1 - Ambujam Krishna songs - tuned by V.V.Sadagopan (51 songs)
Volume 2 - Ambujam Krishna songs - tuned by Semmangudi and Musiri (51 songs, tunesmith not specifically identified)
Volume 3 - Ambujam Krishna songs - 1 to 25 tuned by S.Ramanathan, 26 to51 tuned by T.N.Seshagopalan
Volume 4 - Ambujam Krishna songs - tuned by K.R.Kedaranathan (51 songs)
Volume 5 - Ambujam Krishna songs - tuned by Anantalakshmi Sadagopan (27 songs)
All the books mentioned, including Volume 6 released in the last decade, have all gone out of print. Thankfully🙏, the family of the late AK has done a great service by making available the notations in a dedicated website at https://www.ambujamkrishna.com/.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The 6 books shown on the webpage only go up to the Index pages. The notations are not there.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

I am getting the notations upto volume 6. In the notation index, link to he notation page for each song is given in the last column.

Vol.6 has 52 songs. It seems volume 7 is under preparation.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks Pratyaksham Bala. I somehow missed it.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Next set of AK songs are tuned by Smt Charumathi Ramachandran. Clips available @ https://www.youtube.com/@ambujamkrishnacharumathi/videos