Harikesanallur Muthaiah Bhagavthar

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

His valli PariNayam was the alltime best!

abadri

Post by abadri »

Here's a MMI rendition of Nidu Mahima (Hamsanandi) that I found when doing
some organization of my files:-
[rapidshare links deleted]

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Sometime back there was an idea of discussing HMB's krithis with some recordings, just like we had with JCW..Will someone flag it off, time permitting...

Thanks

Srivathsan

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Let someone start with a list of say 25-30 krithis.Then we can set ourselves on this task.

meena

Post by meena »

For starters here is the varnam list of Sree HMB:

Sri Mahaganapathe -Tanavarnam -Kambhoji -Ata
Sri Rajamathangi-Tanavarnam -Suddha Dhanyasi -Adi
Sri Mahabala -Tanavarnam -Suddha Saveri -Adi
Chalamela -Tanavarnam -Narayanagowla -Adi
Sarasaksha -Tanavarnam -Kedaragowla -Adi
Sri Shubha -Tanavarnam -Thodi -Ata
Manamohana -Tanavarnam -Mohanam -Ata
Manchi Panadhira -Tanavarnam -Hindolam -Ata
Sarasakshi Tanavarnam -Kalyani -Ata
Pankaja Lochana -Padavarnam -Anandabhairavi -Adi
Sannutangi Daruvarnam -Vasantha -Adi
Balumosa -Daruvarnam -Shahana -Khandachapu
Mate Malaya -Daruvarnam -Khamas -Adi
Sri Rajarajeshwari -Daruvarnam -Kapi -Chapu

abadri

Post by abadri »

Manamohana -Tanavarnam -Mohanam -Ata
As rendered by TNS:- [rapidshare links deleted]

meena

Post by meena »

manamOhanA (tAna varNa). rAgA: mOhana. aTa tALA.

P: manamOhanA mAnini nIpai cAla marulukoni gAsi yunnadirA
A: ghanuDaina shrI bhAskara bhUpAla varapAla
gAnalOla muddu rAmalinga rAjarAjEshvarA sEtupatIndrA
C: nIkE taginarA nI vElukOrA

kartik

Post by kartik »

What I am to post now are a series of some rare kritis by HMB,which I recorded primarliy during the Dasara period.Most of them are the Devi Ashottara kritis.

I have uploaded a kriti of HMB in Nagabhushani , an apurva raga of HMB which derives from Shankarabharanam.

The link is http://www.geocities.com/harikesa3/WebP ... ushani.mp3

We will need the help of DRS,CML,RC,Cool ji and others to make this thread also a grand success.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Bravo!
Count on us!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kartik,
Is this a downloadable song?
Would it be possible to post in as a rapidshare file? geocities is listing the page as unavailable?
Thanks.
Ravi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

manamOhanA (tAna varNa). rAgA: mOhana. aTa tALA.
P: manamOhanA mAnini nIpai cAla marulukoni gAsi yunnadirA
A: ghanuDaina shrI bhAskara bhUpAla varapAla
gAnalOla muddu rAmalinga rAjarAjEshvarA sEtupatIndrA
C: nIkE taginarA nI vElukOrA
Kiran,
Can you translate this varNam, please?
With my rudimentary knowledge of Telugu, it appears that HKMB is informing (some) king (bhAskara bhUpAla) that a beautiful damsel is interested in him....
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Can we have the lyric as also the description of the raga?

meena

Post by meena »

gaNEsha skanda. rAgA: nAgabhUSaNi. rUpaka tALA.

P: gaNEsha skanda jananI gandharva gAna vinOdini
A: phaNIndra maNibhUSaNi paramEshvari niranjani
C: sharaNAgata vatsalE ninna caraNadhiyAnadali sukhisada
nara janmavadEtakE suravarArcitE harikEsha niratE

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

venkas

Post by venkas »

Ravi,
Nagabhusani is very much downloadable. Right click directly on the link and do "save target as". If no luck, I can upload this in rapidshare.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Kathik
The kannaDa krti in nAgabhuSHaNi is very nice.
kRtiyanna yAru hADi nuDisirOdu?

Nice rAga. I will chip in when time permits.

nAgabhUShaNi has the following scale

SR2M1PD2~,N3S* | S*DPMRS ||

Given the rAgas swaras and being dhaivatavarjya, the rAga can be placed under gaurI vELAvaLi/gaurimanOhari or dhIraSankarAbharaNa. The texts place it under dhIra SankarAbharaNa as I see in
vid|| R.R.Keshavamurthy`s book. However, I would place it under gaurivELAvali as the treatment of D and N is very much like the 23rd mELa. A very nice rAga indeed.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Kathik
The kannaDa krti in nAgabhuSHaNi is very nice.
kRtiyanna yAru hADi nuDisirOdu?

Nice rAga. I will chip in when time permits.

nAgabhUShaNi has the following scale

SR2M1PD2~,N3S* | S*DPMRS ||

Given the rAgas swaras and being gANdhAravarjya, the rAga can be placed under gaurI vELAvaLi/gaurimanOhari or dhIraSankarAbharaNa. The texts place it under dhIra SankarAbharaNa as I see in
vid|| R.R.Keshavamurthy`s book. However, I would place it under gaurivELAvali only as the treatment of D and N is very much like the 23rd mELa. A very nice rAga indeed.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

DRS
I assume you meant to say 'gAndhAravarjya..'!

Indeed a nice ragam! I assume it is HMB's invention ! are there any specialities?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

oops. Yes I did. Thanks for correcting CML.

kartik

Post by kartik »

It is very interesting to note that HMB has composed several ragas quite close to each other,such as SarangaMalhar(SRMPDNS/SNDPMRS),Nagabhushani(SRMPD~,NS/SDPMRS),Gowdamalhar(SRMPDS/SDMGRS)and of course Pashupatipriya(SRMPMDS/SDMPRMS).Seems that the Gandhara varjyatva (in the arohi phrases) in Shankarabharanam found a lot of favour in him.

DRS avare,on all the 9 days of Dasara in 2004,Rajeswari Padmanabhan on the veena along with her disciples rendered some excellent devi ashottara kritis of hmb,which I was fortunate to record.This was broadcast in DD Chennai.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Great!
we are in for a treat! Feels like dashara time! Just give us also the highlight of the ragas (I hope LakShman will pitch in giving us any rare kritis too!). Pl also tell us any HM connetions that we should know!
Thanks for sharing!

kartik

Post by kartik »

Lji,do you have the lyrics for the Ranjani (Devi) composition of HMB?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML,
Can you translate the composition, please?
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Sorry Rsankar
I missed the post about the translation.
mana mohana- someone something that attracts
Maanini-Damsel
Nee- You
Pai-on
Chaala-A lot
Marulukoni- interested
gasi yunndaira- Waiting for you
ganhudaina-oh great one!!!
Sri Bkaskara Bhupala-King Bhasskara Bhupala
Ganalola-One who is entertained by music
Muddu Raamalinga
Raaja Raajeswara Setupatindra- Emperor Setupatindra
Neeke- only you
Taginara-deserve
Nee-you
Velukora-pursue her

Oh great Bhaskara Bhoopala!!!! u are the emperor and are entertained by music. That damsel is very interested and is waiting for you, You deserve here and you should prusue (have) her right away...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Oh! Kiran, thanks for the translation, but now I wish I had not asked for it!
A little yucky!
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

?????????
:cry:

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kiran: the comment was not directed against you or your translation...it was directled against the composer!
Not a very noble or devout composition: sounds more like a jAvaLI...VERY EARTHY!
Ravi

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Sankar!!!!
I got it. Just winding you up..... :P
I think that composition is as you said more or less like a Javali. However translation makes it sound raw as we cant put it across the way it should be......

arunsri

Post by arunsri »

Does anyone have the rendition of Navagraha Kritis of Muthiah Bhagavatar? I have the text of these from Carnatica.com.

Tamil Kritis of HMB: TNS has rendered 'mUvASai koNDa' of HMB in kharaharapriya very elaborately at Pittsburgh Temple in 1993

manadirkkisainda in shankrAbharaNam is rendered by OST frequently.

AnDavan darishanamE is a staple tukkada of the DKJ school.

In fact DKJ used to render many kritis of HMB - some of them are:

gamgaNapatE - hamsadhwani
vAnchatOnu - karnaranjani
sivam haram - kAmbhOji
ambavANi - kIravANi
AnDavan darisanamE - jOnpuri
shrI mahAbalA - sArangamalhAr
samayamIdE - budhamanOhari

TNS sings some really rare HMB compsitions,a part from many popular ones.

surabAla - dharmavati
amba alankAri - bEgaDa
ennALi tirugu - mandAri
ninnunera - dEvamanOhari
abhimAna - sahAna

kartik

Post by kartik »

Arunsri,
I have Rouhineyaam budham,the budha vaara kriti in surati

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Shankar bhAi!

DKP/DKJ lOg kO GarAnA naam se mat DarAnA ;)

They are just regular South Indian Guru parmapara!

kartik
awaiting the other 'dasara aShTottara ' renderings! Let us move on!

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

On the topic of HKMB and is compositions: I was reading the notations for the daru mAtE (thanks Lji and SujiRam): what language is it in? I assumed it was sanskrit, but in the anupallavi, he uses the phrase 'tAyE gowrI'. I do not think tAyE (mother) is a sanskrit word...is it like the 'vElAyuda' of MD (sanskritizing a South Indian word), or is the composition in Kannada/Telugu?
I am sure CML/DRS will have great explanations!
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

The language is kannaDa- tAye, mahiSUranAda, nAlvaDi SrIkRShNarAjEndratAye sadA pore etc are clearly kannaDa

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

DRS,
What does the word Nalvadi mean in that context (in the varnam)?
Thanks

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

nAlvaDi kRShNa means kRShNa IV i.e fourth among kRShNas. You will similarly find mummaDi kRShNa, immaDi pulikESi etc. nAlvaDi literally means 4 times.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks DRS.
nAlavDi srIkrishNa rAja...doesn't that refer to the mahArAjA - and wasn't the varNam composed as a prayer on behalf of the mahArAjA?
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

yes it does -fourth of the kings named kRShNa

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

WOW. This is like IM...

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Thanks DRS....

bala747

Post by bala747 »

HMB was a relative of my paternal great grandmother and she had a set of compositions written by him in her village of Pattamadai (of the mat fame)

When my folks visited her (I was a less than a month old), she showed my mother the book but unfortunately it was written in an older tamil script which was virtually illegible to my mother. Apparently no one had sung those compositions or even known they existed. My great grandmother agreed to find someone to do the transliteration but she passed away soon after. WE were based in Bombay and both my parents were very busy so the existence of this set of books passed out of our minds. In fact my mother told me about them only two years ago.

Right now no one knows what happened to those books. The house fell into ruin and with some property issues (granduncle never left a will so they are still unresolved to this day although someone we don't know from adam is living in that house) they probably passed on to some rag and bones man.

I consider this loss to be a real tragedy. If anyone knows anybody in Patthamadai my great grandmother's house was right next to the big temple. Any clues will be welcome. If someone comes across (by some miracle of fate) a set of HMB krithis, chances are, some kind soul saved them from ruin.

My great grandmother never learnt music but she could handle krithis like Sankari Samkuru, Koluvamaragatha effortlessly (in navarathri golu settings). My father too never learnt music but he can sing along these krithis as if he had been spending years honing the sangathis.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear Sri Kulkarni, do you have any of these HMB compositions? If you do, could you kindly post at your convenience please?

jagadgurO dayAnidhE - aTaNa
jagadgurO dInanAtha - gOpikAvasantam
gurunAthA anugrahahisai - puShpalatikA
shrI sAmbashiva sadguru - gurupriya
tyAgarAja sadguruvani - hindOLam

gitapriya

Post by gitapriya »

I incidentally landed on this bulletin board searching for discussions on CM and am amazed at the fervor of the topical discussions. What a wonderful platform to discuss CM in depth!

I wondered whether someone could be kind to share with us audios of the rarely heard rAgamAlikAs bhAgavatar composed for navarAtrI, the pancarAgamAlikA starting with the words, "mangaLa dAyinI mAtangi" and the navAvaraNa rAgamAlikA, "svarNAkarshaNa gaNapatE." The latter includes a stuti to gaNapati followed by each AvaraNa with mention of each of the kumArI dEvatAs of the nine nights of the festival, concluding in a benediction.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

gitapriya, glad you found us. Welcome to the forum.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Muthiah Bhagavatar's 'Rajarajeswari' in Garuda-dhwani is a great kriti. Has this been rendered by any artistes?
Last edited by ragam-talam on 21 Dec 2006, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

maamoondi

Post by maamoondi »

Dear all,
last week I happened to meet the great grand daughter of this musical genius - this lady with her daughters live in Bombay in Goregaon, though at the moment there is nobody in the family who is involved in the field of music. I have asked them to let me have the pleasure of seeing some vintage photographs (if they are able to lay their hands on any) and will post them for the benefit of the rasikas.
Hope to expect a great year ahead and May God bless you all with bountiful blessings.

meena

Post by meena »

---
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Wow, my grandmother is with me now, and listening to music, she started reminiscing... So, it's anecdote time!!!

When they were kids in Kovilpatti, the bhagavathar came to stay 3 houses away from their house. My great-grandfather, a civil engineer, and hence a big shot, invited him to lunch, and the daughters (my grandmother, and her 3 sisters - the 4th was too young) were asked to sing for the great man. He listened to them sing, and told them that they sing very well, and he would teach them more songs - putting one condition: "I will sing a song only once!"

(slight background - gran was not a native of kovilpatti; greadgranddad's job took him there. They are palakkad iyers from chittoor)

Well, my periya paatti had a wonderful knack of writing music and notion very, very quickly as and when it was sung. Bhagavathar was impressed, and apparently told her, "Ankichi, ippadi ezhudhikkaraye maa.. enakke appadi paattu ezhudha varaadhu!" (My dear, you write so well! I can't wrtie songs so fast myself!"

AFter a few years, my grandmother went to see him before she got married in 1939 (at madras). As soon as she entered, he recognized her instantly and said "Ankichi, eppadi maa irukkai?" (My dear, how are you?) and turned to someone near him (paatti does not remember who) and said "theriyumo, en paattellam laddoo madhiri kanththundaal ival!!!" (you know, she learnt my songs as easily as a laddoo!!)

Paatti says that my periya paatti's daugther still has those notations. I'll try to get hold of them when I go to India...

Cheers
Ninja
Last edited by ninjathegreat on 04 Jun 2007, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Ninja
I am postponing Manakkal Rangarajans concert (a HMB Special) just for you.
Are your dates finalised ?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Great anecdote, Ninja..Get a hold of those notes in a hurry and learn the songs. You then get to boast of an enviable Shishya parampara ;)