Noorni Parameswara Bhagavatar

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
jayaram

Post by jayaram »

I have been listening to a wonderful lec-dem by SRJ that I recd recently. (A must-have in any serious rasika's collection, by the way!) In it SRJ mentions a Noorni Parameswara Bhagavatar who is supposed to have been a great composer of varnams, in addition to being a good singer himself.
Does anyone here know anything more about Shri Noorni? My google search came up with just this webpage on Kalpathi musicians:
http://www.kalpathyviswanathaswami.org/ ... ge0008.htm

mohan

Post by mohan »

S. Balachandar has claimed that a lot of the compositions of Swati Tirunal are actually Palghat Parameshwara Bhagavathar's.

There is a lot of information about him at http://www.swathithirunal.in/composeres ... eswara.htm

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Thank you, Mohan. A bit of searching around revealed that Shri N P Ramaswamy is the great grandson of Shri Parameswara Bhagavatar. Shri NPR is a top-class vidwan from Kerala, for those who don't know. Here's a review of one of his concerts:
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/03/18/stor ... 280200.htm

I have just one tape of his music. Anyone here has music recordings of his to share?
Last edited by jayaram on 01 Dec 2006, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

gangar2758@vsnl.net

Post by gangar2758@vsnl.net »

wud like to know more abt parameswara bagavatars kritis,swarajatis ,if recording or publications

gangar2758@vsnl.net

hv ppb [palakkad parmeswra bgvtar's varnas.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

hallo I ambafled to know that at least now some dedicated soul is mentioning about a greAT VAGEYAKARA, WHO IS NONE OTHER THAN
NOORANI PARAMESHWARA bHAGAVATHAR. who was relkated to me throu my great Grand father Noorani Rameshwamy Iyer.whiose family descended from the erstwhile Mysoire state migrated through Coimbatore. My Grand father Shri. Prof.Ramaswamy Iyer a great mathematicl genius , founder president of the Indian Mathamatical society(New Delhi),and he was rresponsible for bringing to lime light the mathematical prowess of the legend SREENIVASA RAMANUJAM. and all THESE INFORMATION S ARE AVAILABLE IN sHAKTHI DEEPAVALI mAGASZINE 1996) (AUTHORED BY pOLLACHI mAHALINGAM.
bUT TO OUR MISFORTUNE , WE HAVE LOSY EVERY DETAIL ABOUT HIS (sRIpARAMESHEWARANS' BIO DETAILS,dURING EARLY NINEIES mR,n.p, GAVE A LECTURE DEMONSTRATION AT THE ma.mORNING SESION AND PRESENTED SOIME STARTLING VARNAMS, WHICH WER EWIDELY APPRECIATED BY THE RASUKAS.
iF ANY ONE ,, BY CHANCE GET SOME INFORMATION IT WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO THE
CM WORLD . iNCIDENTALLY
nooRNI pARKAMESHWARAbHAGAVATHER'S dAUGHTR-IN- LAW gOWRI IS MYN AUNT. i THINK jUDGE sANKARANARAYANA iYER WAS A SESSONS JUDGE IN THE TRANVANCORE sAMASTHANMAM.k
I have just given the above details so that some link whatso evcer could be discovered fro it.

Ramaraj
Last edited by vageyakara on 28 Jan 2008, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

gangar2758@vsnl.net

vageyakara

confused with ur relationship with ppb. cud u clarify who is mrnpr to u.
any idea abt the kritis/songs composed by him?
am a research scholar.pls mail me at gangar2758@vsnl.net
mighty thanks
Last edited by gangar2758@vsnl.net on 28 Jan 2008, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Though I do not know the exact details , my father used to tell me about the relationship which i vafuely remembe.
Noorni Parameshwar's Daughter in law Gori is my athai.and her daughter still lives Kandivly Bombay.He was also mentioning about JUdge Shankara Rajan of Triavandrum.I think I wiil be able to do,some scouting for information soon.
Last edited by vageyakara on 02 Feb 2008, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

gangar2758@vsnl.net

Thanks
Mr.N.P.RAmaswamy who happens to be ppb,s great grand son , was kind enough to hand over some of ppb,s varnas and kritis. the music of the kritis are not avalble.
wud be glad to get other compositions like swarajati .
hv learnt he ppb-was great at rendering taanam
is there any other descendant othher than mr NPR, who has taken to music, performing/composing etc?
urs wud be a great help indeed!

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have four items listed for Parameshvara Bhagavatar.
Atma (tv)-shuddhadhanyAsi-Adi, kamalAkSi (tv)-rAmapriyA-Adi, pAda sarasa (tv)-yadukulakAmbhOji-Adi and padmanAbham bhajarE-hamsabhramari-Adi.

I don't have any of these lyrics.

gangar2758@vsnl.net

thanks.cud u pls tell where u got this info.
Last edited by gangar2758@vsnl.net on 04 Feb 2008, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

paramEShvara bhAgavatar has also composed one varNa in each of the ghanarAgAs, the nATTa piece being the most popular. Three of these are available in tAnavarNa tarangiNi (made available through the manuscripts of NPR).

If anyone has an address for NP rAmasvAmi in nUrani grAmam,pAlghAT, please e-mail me the info. Thanks.