Madurai-T.Srinivasan

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
satyabalu

Madurai-T.Srinivasan

Post by satyabalu »

*The famous "Karunai Deivame Karpagame" -Sindu Bhairavi we know. Is there anyother no. Popularised by anyone of the same composer?Eager to know about his tutelage.

rshankar

Re: Madurai-T.Srinivasan

Post by rshankar »

Satyabalu - I hope I am not confusing him with the one who works with the famous and prolific dancer-composer from Madurai - Madurai R. Muralidaran. If I am not, Sri Srinivasan is a glorious singer, and of all his compositions, I love the one on the dEvi (in all her manifestations - alaimagaL, kalaimagaL and malaimagaL) set in daSa rAgamAlika that goes 'kalaigaLellAm tarum kalaivANi...'. Here is a clip of a portion of this composition choreographed by Smt. Suba Ramesh Parmar from NJ.

Gladfan

Post by Gladfan »

I'm not sure of that particular item rshankar.

However, I know that Madurai T. Srinivasan has composed certain dance items including Thillanas in Sumaneesa Ranjani and Surutti.

I also think the following Ragamalika composition is attributed to him

sakala kalai arulum srI saraswatIyE
nanmei ellAm tarum nalinakAntiyE
akhila bhuvanum pOttrum amrithavarshiniyE
AnandamAL vidarumAnandabhairaviyE

karunai vizhiyODu kAchiyorum kalyAniyE
pAmO pugazhum endan bAgeshrIyE
saranam enrOrai rakshiKum sAvEriyE
kIthi tAnE vAzhengum kIrvAniyE

Does anyone know this song - if so, please amend the lyrics. Thank you?

What are the other items composed by Madurai Srinivasan?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Gladfan: This is what I have.

sakala kalai. rAgamAlikA. Adi tALA. Composer: Madurai Srinivasa Iyer.

(rAgA: saravati)
1: sakala kalai aruLum sarasvatiyE
(rAgA: nalinakAnti)
2: nanmai ellAm tarum nalinakAntiyE
(rAgA: amrtavarSiNi)
3: akhila bhuvanam pOTrum amtravarSiNiyE
(rAgA: Anandabhairavi)
4: Ananda vAzhvu tarum AnandabhairaviyE
(rAgA: kalyANi)
5: karuNai vizhiyODu kATSi tarum kalyANiyE
(rAgA: bAgEshrI)
6: pArOr pugazhum endan bAgEshrIyE
(rAgA: sAvEri)
7: sharaNam enrarai rakSikkum sAvEriyE
(rAgA: kIravANi)
8: kIrti tanai vazhangum kIravANiyE

thyagu

Post by thyagu »

Madurai T.Srinivasan has composed 22 thillanas. I can give the notation to whoever needs.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Ravi: Madurai T Srinivasan (http://archives.chennaionline.com/chenn ... ivasan.asp) and Muralidharan (http://www.muralidaran.org/profile.php) are very different people.

Madurai Srinivasan is primarily a mridanga vidwAn, who has composed a few songs and tillAnAs. I have heard him play the mridangam in the late 70s when he accompanied a number of senior vidwAns, including DKJ who popularized karunai deivamE. He also played for a number of films in that period. I have not seen him in the concert circuit in a long time. Here is a good interview with him that provides some info on his lineage etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVPW8RIWApg

I think the Madurai Srinivasa Iyer that Lji mentions is perhaps a different person. Sri T Srinivasan is an Iyengar.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mahavishnu - thanks - There is one Sri Srinivasan who is part of Sri Muralidaran's group. Many of the kalAvardhini CDs (of Sri Muralidaran's compositions/choreography) list one Madurai Srinivasan as a composer/vocalist. The link to the video I posted is one of those compositions - 'kalaigaL ellAm tarum kalaivANi'

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

'SAMUDHRA' music magazine recently carried a special interview feature on Madurai T Srinivasan.( May or June 2011 issue). Suggest forumites to read it. Very informative and interesting.

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote:'SAMUDHRA' music magazine recently carried a special interview feature on Madurai T Srinivasan.( May or June 2011 issue). Suggest forumites to read it. Very informative and interesting.
Can you cut &paste it?

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*Thanks to sivaramakrishnan for the link.
*grateful to "samudhra " for having brought out the facets of this humble &contented vaggeyakara.
*My question .Has he been fully appreciated &recognised ?Do we think of him on listening to "karunai Deivame" as much as we appreciate the great DKJ?
*He is unique in that perhaps he is the only vaggeyakara ,a mridangist .
*I think a new thread has to be started to know about ragas in which he has composed.viz., vasanthi,Bhavani(hope it is not Paavani),kausi kanda,Shubali,rageshri, jungla Bhairavi.
"*Of course the ones based on classical music like “Paattum naane bhavamum naane” and “Maraindirunthu parkkum marumam enna” …………..You may also recollect that in the famous movie “Mrudanga Chakravarthy” I played mrudangam for Prabhu's role and in the same movie, the mrudangam play for Shivaji Ganesan's character was done by Umayalpuram Sivaraman. Also, my play for the songs “Oru naal podhuma” is still remembered by everyone."

shankarank

Post by shankarank »