Muthuswamy Dikshitar Kritis on Lord Shanmukha

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
venkas

Post by venkas »

Kaumaaram Sir,
Is "Subrahmanyaya Namasthe" of ARI available commercially? If not, can you please post it here?

venkas

Post by venkas »

Incidentally the song Subramanyaye is uploaded in sangeethapriya.org this week. Got it from the same. Thank you.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

As per the promise here is the list of Notuswarams by Dikshitar on Sri Subramanya..
I have 35 notuswarams of Sri Dikshitar on Various gods and Godesses. However, only th following are on Shanmukha. All of them are in the raaga Sankarabharanam

Gurumoorthye-Roopaka
Varasivabaalam-Chaturasra Eka
Guruguha Sarasijakara-Eka Taalam

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Sorry people, dont ask for commercial recordings here. And also dont make offers here to send commercial recordings to others.

n_anush

Post by n_anush »

kaumaaran sir,

can u repost the song "Shadanane Sakalam" link in rapid share. because it is displaying that the song is deleted. can u repost the song again sir

thanks

anusha

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Amazing renedition of Sri Subramanyaya Namaste posted on rasikapriya by SS IyerVal. Rpositng the link here...

http://rapidshare.de/files/26087341/Sri ... I.mp3.html

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

cmlover wrote:Thanks kiran for that interesting story. It is possibly from Devi bhaagavatam and I will check it out!

Kindly note I have no intention of offending any sentiments but simply stating the story as I heard. It is stupid to argue who is the greater God!
Just a piece from AIR (6.10 AM) old recording :

http://rapidshare.de/files/29338373/Rad ... u.mp3.html

Kaumaaram

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

Dikshitar's kritis have deep philosophical import and we can see advaitic
concepts running through them. I am sure somebody might have done
some research work on this. If I am right, can some friends indicate where
we can look for it. Thanks and regards,
N.R. Patanjali

veenajj

Post by veenajj »

Would anyone be interested in instrumental renditions of some Muthuswamy Dikshitar Krithis on Lord Shanmukha?

Jeyaraaj & Jaysri

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Yep, specially if its going to be veena. [;)]

But please no commercial or copyrighted recordings. Thanks

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Yep, specially if its going to be veena played by Jeyaraaj & Jaysri

:):)

BTW Welcome to our Forum.
For those who dont know , Please visit

http://www.veenajj.com/

We would like to hear a lot more of your music and from you.And sincerely hope that you dont join the list of artists who are members here but are shy of putting up their own music , for some unknown reason.
Last edited by coolkarni on 07 Jun 2007, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

fabulous veena players they are! :)

i have heard one of their commercial releases featuring Dikshitar kritis on Muruga... has one brilliant Brindavana Saranga alapana followed by Swaminathena, in addition to Parvathi Kumaram, Senapathe, Shri Subramanyaya and Gajamba Nayako. Very nice indeed.

Welcome to the forum.

veenajj

Post by veenajj »

Thank you all for such a warm welcome!!

We were actually wanting to suggest for your listening, our album titled "Subramanya" that Shri venkatpv has mentioned. A little bit of an extra effort has gone into its production by way of incorporating in the sleeve notes, the sAhithyam of the compositions presented, as well as the meaning in a gist. This was done with assistance from our friend Shri N. Seshan, an expert on Advaitha philosophy. We have been accompanied by Shri Mannargudi Easwaran and Shri EM Subramaniam on the mridangam and ghatam respectively. The CD has been produced by Mudhra Music. Should you have any difficulty procuring the same, do let us know.

Dear Shri Coolkarni, we would be very happy to share some of our concert recordings with rasikas in this forum.

Warm Regards,
Jeyaraaj & Jaysri
Last edited by veenajj on 07 Jun 2007, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Are there any sloka/compositions on dikshitar available?
(Apart from those listed at http://sky.prohosting.com/guruguha/mdsongs.html)

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

Hello Davalangi,
Could you please repost the Kashi Vishweshara Ehi Mam Pahi song by Sri SRJ in Raga Kambhoji? Looks like the file is gone from rapidshare.

Thanks much.
Venkatesh.

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

Veenajj
Has Sri N. Seshan written any commentary on Dikshithar's
kritis bringing out the advaitic philosophy of the compositions ?
Kindly enlighten me on this. Thanks.

veenajj

Post by veenajj »

Shri Patanjali, sorry to have missed your post for all this time. Sri Seshan has not yet published any books or commentaries as such on the subject.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

dIkshitar was not also a great Carnatic music composer, but also has composed Sanskrit poems. His laudatory verse on the diety ShrI tyAgarAjA is a wonderful stOtra extolling the glories of the Lord of tiruvArUr.
srinidhi wrote:Are there any sloka/compositions on dikshitar available?
(Apart from those listed at http://sky.prohosting.com/guruguha/mdsongs.html)
Yes, ShuddAnanda bhArati has composed, "muttu muttAgavE murugan gugan aruLAl" (mentioned as composed in bhairavi in his book). I will check if they're others.
Last edited by kmrasika on 29 Nov 2007, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

venkatpv wrote:Smt. R.Vedavalli sings "Venkateshwara vibhavitena" and not "Venkateshwara nama rupena" in the Suddha Dhanyasi kriti Subramanyena rakshitoham.
This is incorrect. Vedavalli Amma sings it as 'venkaTEshwara supUjitEna'.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

prashant wrote:
venkatpv wrote:Smt. R.Vedavalli sings "Venkateshwara vibhavitena" and not "Venkateshwara nama rupena" in the Suddha Dhanyasi kriti Subramanyena rakshitoham.
This is incorrect. Vedavalli Amma sings it as 'venkaTEshwara supUjitEna'.
I have heard most singers singing it as venkaTEshwara supUjitEna and not as Venkateshwara vibhavitena or Venkateshwara nama rupena.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

In the MD kRti 'subrahmaNyEna' - the word 'kanka Saila vihArENa' occurs According to Sanskrit Dictionary ''kanka' means 'a heron'.
In the book of 'Muthuswamy Dikshitar KeerthanangaL' by M/S A Sundaram Iyer and S Venkatesan, it is mentioned that 'kanka Saila' means 'kazhugu malai' and 'venkaTesvara' is the name of a King who ruled that area who was a devotee of the Lord.

Please visit http://www.aaraamthinai.com/aanmeegam/2 ... meegam.asp - http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/10/16/stor ... 310100.htm and http://www.indiantemples.com/Tamilnadu/m023.html to know more about the Muruguan Temple at Kazhugu Malai and the association of MD with the sthala.

This confusion about 'venkatesvara nAmadhEya' or 'venkaTesvara nAma rUpa' may be more to do with the age old controversy about Lord Venkatesvara - whether the original mUrti was that of Murugan.
As the kshEtra is identified, the word 'venkaTesvara' would not, IMHO, refer to Tirupati. Accordingly, 'venkaTesvara supUjitEna' might be the correct version.

PS : In the website - http://www.hindu.com/ms/2004/12/01/stor ... 480400.htm about the book on 'Sangita Sampradaya Pradarsini' there is a mention of a King named 'Raja Jagadaveera Rama Venkateswara Ettappa' and period is 1899 - much after MD. It is possible that a King of that name - grand father - might have existed during the peiod of MD. Books also mention that Ettayapuram Kings were great patrons of MD and his lineage.
Last edited by vgvindan on 29 Nov 2007, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vgvindan wrote:PS : In the website - http://www.hindu.com/ms/2004/12/01/stor ... 480400.htm about the book on 'Sangita Sampradaya Pradarsini' there is a mention of a King named 'Raja Jagadaveera Rama Venkateswara Ettappa' and period is 1899 - much after MD. It is possible that a King of that name - grand father - might have existed during the peiod of MD. Books also mention that Ettayapuram Kings were great patrons of MD and his lineage.
Of course, the Maharaja of Eddyapuram when MD lived there was also another 'venkaTEshwara'. MD has a kriti in mEgharanji - vEnkaTESwara eDDappa bhUpatim

-Ramakriya

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.hindu.com/ms/2007/12/01/stor ... 180600.htm

A nice artcle, but once again suffers from an abyssmal lack of proof reading!
from the article wrote:However, for the earnest seeker, the veil of ethereal music lifts, to reveal a wealth of information that is at once mystical and esoteric; lyrical and grammatical; mythological and philosophical; poetical and musical.
Reminds me of Rajaji's - 'tiraiyin pin nirkinrAy (kaNNA) unnai maRai Odum gnyAniar maTTumE kANbAR'
Last edited by rshankar on 14 Dec 2007, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

srinidhi wrote:Are there any sloka/compositions on dikshitar available?
Thanks for the link.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 11 Jan 2008, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

tmohan

Post by tmohan »

Re(va)gupti is the bhUpALam existing today. The bhUpAla of MD uses g2 in its scale, a janya of 9th meLa.

s r1 g2 p d1 s
s d1 p g2 r1 s. sadAcalesvaram bhAvaye is an example. Changing g2 to G3 becomes revagupti.

In SangIta sampradAya pradarshini, SD critizes people using g3for g2 in bhUpALam. He mentions that using g2 would bring them all the benefits of bhUpALam.

To me "tOgai iLamayil.. " sounds like the raga jana sammodini (!) imported from HM. The scale is

s r2 g3 p d1 s
s d1 p g3 r2 s. Change d2 to d1 in mohanam

MOHAN

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Why not we list out songs of other Vaageyakaras who have sung in praise of Subramanya(muruga) apart from Kotiswara Iyer's Kanda Ganamrutam ,Periasamy Dooran,PS.I thought discussing in this thread better for continuity.

kartik1

Post by kartik1 »

The patantara of our school which belongs to the sishya parampara of Sri Dikshitar through its founder Brahmasri A Ananthakrishna Iyer (wo did gurukula under Sri Ambi Dikshitar), says the phrase is "Venkateswara naamarupena" . It is interesting how these different versions come into being and whoever is distorting the original version of a composer deserves condemnation.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

kartik,
This kRti and the pAthAntara 'vEnkatESvara nAmarUpEna' has already been discussed in one of the threads. This pAthAntara seems to have been coined by someone who did not like the words 'vEnkatESvara supUjitEna' - how can Lord Venkatesvara worship Lord subrahmanya? - thus would go the argument. Such manipulations - to suit somebody's tastes are found in Thyagaraja Kritis also.

ts

Post by ts »

vgvindan wrote:kartik,
This kRti and the pAthAntara 'vEnkatESvara nAmarUpEna' has already been discussed in one of the threads. This pAthAntara seems to have been coined by someone who did not like the words 'vEnkatESvara supUjitEna' - how can Lord Venkatesvara worship Lord subrahmanya? - thus would go the argument. Such manipulations - to suit somebody's tastes are found in Thyagaraja Kritis also.
I think the original pATAntram might have been "nAmarUpENa" ,which was changed later to "supUjitEna".
The secret lies in another krithi "venkatEswara yAdava bhUpatim" in megaranjani, where the actual pallavi according to SSP is "venkatEswara eddappa bhUpatim". SD states in SSP that this krithi has references to Veknateswara Eddappa Maharaja as accroding to hindu mythology, Maharaja is Mahavishnu's avadharam.

The krithi Subramanyena has the same reference where the Maharaja is considered the avadharam of Subramanya.

Now the "tampering" could have happened for one of two reasons (or both actually).

1. Venkatesa "Eddappa" maharaja's image was totally battered by the likes of Ma.Po.Si by making Virapandiya Kattabomman a Hero (which according to many, he was not).
2. To coverup any "narastuti" references by MD in a world that had so many Tyagarajophiles who were MDPhobic.

In both cases, the main idea was to protect the composer and his works.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

ts,
Kindly take a look at nara stuti of MD in the kRti 'vEnkaTESvara yAdava' - rAga mEgharaJjani

pallavi
vEnkaTESvara yAdava bhUpatiM ASrayE(a)haM
viSva vikalpApahaM vidvajjana kalpa bhUruhaM
vadana sarasIruham

samashTi caraNam
kanka Saila madhya sthita kArtikEya -
Siva guru guha karuNA kaTAksha pAtraM
kanja daLAyata nEtraM kankaNa hAra -
kirITAlankRta sundara gAtram
kAncana vRshTi prada mEgha -
ranjita bahu kshEtraM
pankaja bhava mukha sura kRta -
sakala nishkaLa stOtraM
sankalpa vikalpa rahita
saccidAnanda mAtram

Assuming that some of MD's disciples wanted to 'protect' - as you have said - the composer, what kind of changes they would make to this kRti?

It is the same MD who also sang 'hIna mAnavASrayam tyajEham' in 'hiraNmayIM lakshmIm' - rAga lalita.

There are references in Thyagaraja Kritis also about his being dependent on people for his livelihood - which he seems to have regretted later.

Every human being evolves in his own time. Therefore, those musicians who are not nAdOpAsakas like Thyagaraja and MD, attempting to modify their kRti are indeed damaging the image of the personages. These personages (like Thyagaraja and MD) stand on their foot and can defend themselves - they do not need any hollow props.
Last edited by vgvindan on 12 Jun 2008, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

ts

Post by ts »

Dear Sri vgvindan,

I am not talking about MD's disciples but those "torch bearers" of the 20th century. IMHO all they wanted to do was to cover any explicit references. Please dont get me wrong as I am not protecting those who changed them. Unfortunately you and me ended up with krithis that were tampered and mutilated.

Regards
TS

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

The krithi Subramanyena has the same reference where the Maharaja is considered the avadharam of Subramanya
This bothers me. Narastuthi was probably practised quite a bit by poets and composers but this will amount to taking it too far, if that is indeed the meaning.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

vk,
In the kRti 'subrahmaNyEna' - rAga dhanyASi, all that is contained about the King is - vEnkaTESvara supUjitEna'. This, IMHO, may not even be considered as 'nara stuti' - it is a simple statement of fact of the King worshipping there at kazhugumalai - which, I think, is the family deity of the King's family.
Therefore I am not in agreement with the contention of ts that 'maharaja is considered the avatharam of Subramanya

On the otherhand, the kRti which I have quoted in post No 130, is out-and-out nara stuti However, I may qualify here that, in the book of 'Muthuswami Dikshitar Keertanaigal' (Tamil) by A Sundaram Iyer et al, this kriti is stated to have been sung about Lord Venkatachalapathi at Sathur.
If indeed, this kriti is about the King, then some of the statements are highly exaggerated and - disturbing.

arasi

Post by arasi »

In tamizh too: GKB's varugalAmO aiyyA for instance: bUmiyil pulayanAip piRandEnE.
Last edited by arasi on 13 Jun 2008, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

vgvindan wrote:vk,
In the kRti 'subrahmaNyEna' - rAga dhanyASi
VGV- I think it's Shuddha Dhanyasi ??

beginner

Post by beginner »

yes 'SubrahmaNyEna' is SHUDDHA (pure) dhanyAsi !!!

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

manjunath, beginner,
I am sorry, You both are right - it is Suddha dhanyASi

arasi,
I couldn't get the connection between nara stuti and GKB's mention about 'pulaiyan'.

supri00

Post by supri00 »

can anyone pllease help me with word by word meaning for Aanathamrutha karshini,Dikshidar's krithi.
Aso I need the meaning for Shakodari

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

supri00 wrote:can anyone pllease help me with word by word meaning for Aanathamrutha karshini,Dikshidar's krithi.
See http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... of-md.html
supri00 wrote:Aso I need the meaning for Shakodari
I think the word is SATOdari - meaning a woman with a very tiny waist.