Muthuswamy Dikshitar Kritis on Lord Shanmukha

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
abadri

Post by abadri »

Kiran, great effort. Thanks!
Hope to hear more of the related anecdotes as we progress.

CMLsir, here are a few more rendiditions of srI nAthAdi

1. a DKJ recital from a Dikshitar day cocnert
[rapidshare links deleted]

2. Dr. Ramanthan & Chalakudy from an Academy concert

3. A rendition by Sirkazhi Govindarajan

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Cheers abadri and CMlover
kiran

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Superb Badri!
Let us also discuss the style of presentation too! DKJ is the authentic MD school, SR and seerkazhi are not!

kiran
could you comment on the highlights...

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

CMlover! Personally I dont think that Iam big enough(by all means) to comment on people like DKJ. However, I would add something here. I have always felt that singing Dikshitar krithis takes a lot more than just sruthi and laya alignment. They are complex in many ways. Dikshitar krithis are written in such a way that if one can render a song properly, then they will understand the intricasies of the raaga without having to practise it specially. So they have to be rendered with utmost care, not only because of their Musical aspects but also because of the details about mantra, Tantra and Purana incorporated into these krithis. DKJ-DKP school, like
B Raajam Iyer are blessed to learn Dikshitar krithis from Ambi Dikshitar. Who else has that privilege? DKJ-DKP`s rendition of Dikhsitar krithis is impeccable in that, they be will sung with such a flawless diction, and they are ladden with Bhava, not mention that their rendition brings the full sketch of the raaga making their performance of the piece all too encompassing. It is these two people, Rajam Iyer and SSI who were Instrumental In popularising Dikshitar krithis. As for the musical aspects, Their ability to perform these masterpieces with such a vidwat speaks for itself. I find Ramnathan`s music more of brigha oriented like SSI and TNS. This is the first time Iam listening to Sri Kazhi, so I can hardly say anything about him. . So, I would say that DKP-DKJ school with Rajam Iyer and SSI-MSS did justice to Dikshitar than anyone else (Not that others dont sing them well. It is just that these people are better at them. So, please dont take offense)
Apart from these general things I personally cant imagine myself analysing the performance skills of these stalwarts.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

kiran
your comments are quite appropriate. DKP/DKJ school pay great attention to the sahityam and diction especially in regard to MD since they got it from ambi dikshitar and let us also not forget the giant Naina Pillai. SR as an academician tends to innovate as well as his students and is not that tradition bound. Seergazhi is essentially Tamizh Isai and also due to the association with filmdom tends to innovate like KJY who in spite of his excellent diction does not stick to rules.Needless to say that we need all these styles for a vibrant CM.

couple of comments

The pallavi is in the dvitIya vibhakti (note the ending bhajasi)

Sri Chidaanandanaadohamithi Santhatham Hrudhinibhajasi.
Sri ChidaanandanaadaH aham = I am the consciousness-bliss sound (or aham brahmOsmi as you say) and the implied meaning is I am identical with my Guru..
hrudini bhajasi is an irregular formation ( I guess it was hrudi bhajasi = you adore in your heart!)

In the anupallavi
dInavanodyukta divya taro = dInasya samoohaH dInavanaH tasmin udyuktaH (dInavana+udyukta) = the divine (wish-granting) tree which is active or diligent among the distressed..

Divyaughaadi = divya +Ogha + aadi = divine multitude etc.,

I hope DRS will join in these discussions and clarify the Sri Vidya terms as well as add to our enjoyment of the raga and its derivatives....

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Yes, I would like to know more about Sri Vidya. People in my family are Sri Vidyopaasakaas. So, Iam interested in it. Ask DRS to join us. May be he/She can explain it in detail. You are right in saying that we we need all the styles.

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:21, edited 1 time in total.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Meena!
Its simply superb.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena,
What a wonderful write up: worthy of MD himself! This is a slight digression, so please indulge me:
It is a great pleasure for me to read this erudite explanation by RKSK, Having known him from before he turned professional, it is uniquely satisfying to watch him go from strength to strength! He has also started tuning songs, and in this season, Vijay Siva has introduced a couple, to very critical acclaim! Best wishes to him!
Ravi

Sahana-priyan

Post by Sahana-priyan »

All,
Not to digress, Does anybody have any knowledge(where, when,intricacies, meaning etc.) on Dhandayuthapaaneem krithi of Dikshitar in Ananda Bhairavi. I heard that from RKS once in a house concert.

Does anybody have the audio of this krithi as well?

Thanks.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hi Sahana Priyan
I might have the krithi (audio) with me. CMlover and I are discussing the meanings of DKishitar krithi`s with other. If you want, I can explain the meaning and other related stuff of the krithi with the help of others. Will check if I have the audio
Cheers
Kiran

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hello, I have searched my database and couldnt find the song. Sorry. However, here is the word to word meaning of the song. This song is on Shanmukha of palani.
Pallavi: Dandaayudhapaanim-One whohas got the dandaayudham in his hands. Danitha-Punish, Diathya Srenim-Crucial Demons(raakshasaas). Dayaanidhim-One who is repository for kindness Bhajare-Worship. Hrudaya-heart/Mind, Sathatham-Always, Suravinutham-One who is worshipped by the Gods
Oh heart always worship Dandaayudhapaani, who is the vanquisher of the demons, who is treasure of kindness, and who is worshipped by all the Gods.

Anuplallavi:
Chandaansu-Sun, Sathakoti-Milllions,Samkaasam-bright(means that he is brighetr than millions of suns together).Jagadeesa-Ruler/owner of the worlds, Akhandaroopa-One who has got an invincible figure, Andaja(born out of an egg)mani(gems)kundala(Ear rings)-here andajamani is a single owrd and it means emeralds because they refer emeralds as "garuda Paccha". Garuda as you know is a bird(bird are oviparous meaning that they will be born from eggs) paccha (its a telugu word which iam using for explanation purposes)means green. mandithaanga-decorated body, Sukumaaram-Who has got a very soft and beautiful body. Khanditha-To break/ Destroy, Taarak sooram-Taarakaasura, Panditha thara-He is greatest of all pandithaas, nava veera- One who is always strong with rejuvenated energy like a new warrior. Chnadi-One of the incarnations of sakthi, Eesa-owner/husband, Avathaaram-Incarnation.
So he is brighter than millions of suns, he is the ruler of the world and he wears ornaments made of emeralds all over his beautiful body, He is the one who killed the Taarakaasura, and he is the one who is greatest of all pandithaas and who has got rejuventaed energy like a warrior. Oh heart worhsip him all the time.

Mandasmitha-gentle smile, Vadan-Face Aravanidam-Lotus(he has got a lotus face which always smiles)maathula Govindam-ne who is the nephew of givinda(vishnu) because Paarvathi is the sister of Lord vishnu. hence Muruga is nephew of Vishnu(Stroy goesback to dwaaparayuga where Sakthi is born as Krishna`s sister in the form of yoga maaya). Saranaagatha-(Saranaagathi means asking for protection) Sura(gods) brundam(groups)-Gods are being protected by him. bahu-many Maanitha- being Prayed, Muni-Saints, brundam-Groups. paripaalitha-rule Muchikundam-Muchikunda. pranatha-To bow, Virinchi-Brahama, Mukundam-Vishnu-Muruga is bowed by Vishnu and Brahma. Adhara-Lips, Madhura makarandam-Sweet as in nectar. Mruduthara-Smooth/Soft, vachana-Talk, Anantham-Infinite(he has got beautiful lips which always utter very soft talk which is not at all harsh). Maaya-illusions, Molakandam-Source He is the source for maaya. Skandham- one of the names of muruga, Sam-happiness, Dam-to give. He gives happiness. Prudhivaathmaka gandham-One who is integral to the Gandham(smell) of the earth-Means he has got the qualities of earth like endurance and fixedness and who is the quality of earth himself) , Gaganaa-Sky, Athmaka-Integral Suma-Flowers Ganhadam-Smell(qualities of air and he is the one who gives the air its quality) vahni-Fire maya-filled with Deepa-Lamps Brindam-groups, Amruthamaya rasa brundam-he is the amurtha in the rasam which means that he is the Amurthathathava of the rasa(water) (Actually these five lines need I think a bit of more explanation. In yoga saastra, Fire-Teja,, earth-Phrithwi,air-Vayu, water-Aapa and Sky-Akasha are the five (Pancha) basic elements that are the constituents of all living matter. Together these five are called Panchamahabhoota. These five elements are the building units of every thing, including medicines and living beings. Depending on the majority of the content, the matter is classified as Parthiva, Apya, Taijasa, Vayaviya and Akashiya respectively. The permutation and combination of these elements and its quantum in a given matter decides its properties. Mahabhoota is the smallest divisible unit of any matter. The space without which exixtence of any matter is impossible is called the Akashamahabhoota that was first evolved from the akasha-tanmatra (only Akasha element). The Sound (Shabda) is the main sense attribute and Apratighatatwa (Nonresistance?) is its main property. Next to evolve from Akashamahabhoota. Sparsha (touch) is Vayumahabhoota that inherits attribute of Shabda. Chalatwa as its main property. From Vayumahabhoota the next to evolve is Agnimahabhoota. The main sense attribute of Agni is Roopa (Vision) and the main property is Ushnatwa (heat). It also inherits the sense attributes of Shabda and Sparsha from the earlier Mahabhootas.The next in line to evolve from Agnimahabhoota is Aapamahabhoota (Jalamahabhoota). Rasa (taste) is its main sense attribute and Dravatwa (liquidity) is the main property, along with that inherited from earlier Mahabhoota. The last to evolve is Prithwimahabhoota. Kharatwa (roughness) is the main property and Gandha (Smell) is the main sense of this Mahabhoota along with properties inherited from the earlier once) So in this context It muruga who gives these five elemnts their corresponding qualities. Sriguruguham-he is the guruguha Aananda-Since he being the guru he will be the happiness(not that comes from the material world, but the one that come from the Knowledge of everything) Sundara-beautiful Kara-hands, charana-Legs aravindham-lotus. radha-Chariots, gaja-Elephants, Turaga-Horses brindam-Groups he is surrounded by all the kinds of royal transport systems which are eager to serve him. Satya-true, Gnaana-knowledge, Annandam-Happiness.he is the source of true happiness. Swachandam- he is very pure. he is an epitome of happiness that come out of true knowledge
So in charana, Dikshitar refered to murgua as someone who is worshipped by Vishnu and Brahma, Who is the nephew if Vishnu, and who is worshipped by all the gods, Who give panchabhootas their respective qualities, One who is ndefinible by material senses and infinte, One who is the basis and source for the worldly illusions and one who is true happiness that comes out of pure knowledge. Dikshitar composed this one in Anandabhairavi which as the name indicates gives happiness to the listener. Coming to the grammatical aspects of the song, If Iam right it is written in Dvitheeya Vibhakthi and If you see the Saahtiyam, he incorporated 18 words like Aravindam, Govindam makarandam gandham so and so forth. This kind of incorporation is called "Sundaram" Also he used 10 words which have bindupoorvaka "Da " kaaram like Danda, Anda Danditha manditha ... making it a praasa alankaaram. Iam not good at these aspects of sanskrit. So correct me If Iam wrong

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Meena
Great job! Is it possible to post the lyric of dandaayutapaaNim so that kiran's discussion can be followed more easily....

meena

Post by meena »

daNDAyudhapANim daNDita daitya shrENim. rAgA: Ananda bhairavi / Tala: rUpakam

P: daNDAyudhapANim daNDita daitya shrENim dayAnidhim bhajarE hRdaya satatam sura vinutam
A: caNDAmshu shatakOTi saHNkAsham jagadIsham akhaNDarUpam aNDaja maNi maNDalamaya kuNDalAdi maNDitAHNga sukumAram khaNDita tArakashUram paNDitatara navavIram caNDikEshAvatAram
C: mandasmita vadanAravindam mAtula gOvindam sharaNAgata sura bRndam bahumAnita munibRndam paripAlita mucukundam praNata viriHnci mukundam adhara madhura makarandam mRdutara vacana manantam mAyAmUla kandam skandam shandam pRthivyAtmakagandham gaganAtmaka sumagandham vAyumaya dhUpagandham vahnimaya dIpabRndam amRtAtmaka rasabRndam shrI guruguhamAnandam sundara kara caraNAravindam ratha gaja turaHNga bRndam satyajHnAnAnandam ati svac chandam

Note:
This kriti refers to the hill temple at pazhani near the town of diNdugal.
The charanam carries references about the personifications of the five elements in items of everyday worship.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks a million Meena...

Sahana-priyan

Post by Sahana-priyan »

Kiran Surya, Meena and CML sir,
Thank you. I will see if i can get the audio file from people who recorded when RKS sang.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

That would be great
Cheers
Kiran

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kiran,
Absolutely fabulous explanations! Keep them coming!

Kiran/CML,
My high school sanskrit is fast receding into a thing of the past, but if I recollect correctly, niDHi is the ocean, right (as in karuNAniDHi, payOniDHI etc....)?, and pANi is hand and not just fingers (doesn't janaka say to rAmA as he is giving sIthA away...pANim grihIsva pANinAM?)?
Ravi

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

For the benefit of those who can read Sanskrit, here is the link:

http://www.kaumaram.com/misc/guruguha.pdf

Kaumaaram

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Nidhi -
1. Sea
2. Store/Hoard/Treasure

pANi-
1. Hand, or holding something in the hand
2. Giving one's hand in marriage.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Srkris
PANi means hand. Paani grahanam means giving one`s hand in marriage(marriage)
Nidhi as you said would treasure. Jala Nidhi means Sea/ocean

prashant

Post by prashant »

shaDananE in kamAs is a beautiful little krithi which I heard one of Vedavalli Amma's students render. Would appreciate an explanation of this krithi as well as audio if possible. Any speculation on which shrine this is composed on?

Ragam : kamAs

Thalam : Adi

Pallavi :
ShaDAnanE sakalam arpayAmi sadA tvatpAdabhaktim yAmi { ShaDAnanE }

samashti caraNam :
ShaDAdhArAdi shaktyAtmakE shaT trimshatatvakalAtmakE
ShaDanga shruti vicitrAtmakE ShaTkONamaddhyasthitAtmakE
IDyamAnAri nAshAtmakE IshvarAdinuta guruguhAtmake
DhuNDhi gaNEshAnandAtmakE Damaru shUlAdidharakarAtmakE { ShaDAnanE }

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Just give me sometime. I will upload both Subrahmanyena (Suddha Dhanyasi) and Shadanane (Kamas) both rendered by Vedavalli.

Kaumaaram

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thank you Sri kaumAram. Looking forward to shaDAnanE.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Shad(six)aanane(faces)- One with Six faces Sakalam-everything Samarpayaami-I offer, Sadaa-Always Tatpaada-His feet, Bhakthi yaami-I get
I give everything to I have to the god of Six faces and I worship his lotus feet all the time.
Shadaadhaara-Six yoga chakras(Moolaadhaara,Aadhaara, Swadishtaana....) Sakhtyaathmake-One who is the power(He is the power in the all the six chakraas, which means that he is the kundalini sakthi)
Shat thrimsaThatvaTatvaas kalaathmake-One who is the kalaaswaroopa of the 36 tathvaas, Shatkona madhya Sithyaathmakey-One who lives in yanthra with six Konas(six angles/Faces/petals)Eedyamaanaadhi naasathmakey- One who destroys the eeshanathrayaas that trouble the mankind
Eeswaraadhi nutha Guruguhaathmake-He is gurughaa himself who is worshipped by Shiva and others. Dundi ganeshaanandaathmake-One who gives happiness todundi ganesaa Damaru Soola Dhara Karaathmake-One who has Damaru and Soola in his hands
I worship and give everything that I have, to the feet of that God who has six faces, Who lives in a yanthra with six petals and one who is epitome of all the 36 tathvaas and who bestows happiness to mankind by detroying the material troubles and who makes Ganesa happy and who is none other than Guruguha. If i dint get it wrong, It must have been written in sapthami vibhakthi and must be on the Shrine in Kulikkarai. However, Iam not so sure about the shrine thing. Please post the details of the shrine if anybody has an idea

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Here is Dr. Vedavalli's rendition of Subrahmanyena and Shadanane

http://rapidshare.de/files/10760136/Sub ... s.MP3.html

[Edit: Recording might be jarring - I have no correcting tools].

Kaumaaram

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks very much, kaumAram!

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Cheers Kaumaaram

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Kiran,

Please will you continue providing meanings to the songs under this thread?

Kaumaaram

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Sure!!
I will do that for Subramaneyna tonight
Kiran

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Sudda Dhanyasi Raagam and Adi taalam

Sri Subramanyena Rakshithoham Ashtaadasa Lochanaakhandena
AP: Prabrawaamadi Poojitha Padena Purandara Manollasakaranena

Charanam: Kanka Saila Vihaarena Sukhena Valli devasena Ramanena
Akaarabrindaanandena Bhoga Moksha Daanena Nithyena
Venkateswara Naamroopena Vichitra Vishaakha Mahothsavena
Sukha Rahasya Prakaasa Guruguhena Kruthika Sutha Sudda Dhanyasena
Meaning: Iam being protected by Lord subrmanya who has got 18 eyes( three for each of his 6 faces) and who is Invincible and great.
He is worshipped by Brahma(Prabrawaamaadi poojitha padena) Purnadar manollasa karanena(he makes Idnra Happy). He lives on kanka Saila and he is teh happy husband of Valli and deva sena. Akaara brinda Aaanandena(one who is happy with Alphabets from Aa till Ksha)One who is Nithya, one who bestows Bhoga and moksha. Venkateswara(ven means Paapam-sins, Katatheethi-To break to destroy) So he is the one who has got naamam(names) roopam(figure) venkathatheethi (which destroys sins) Vishaakaha mahothsavena(one who has got a festival celebrated on the day with visakha nakshatram) One who is secretly discussed by saints like suka, Kruthikaa Suthena(on who is the son of Six kruthikaas) and one who is Suddha(pure) and one who is Dhanya. Iam protected by him.
If what I have been told is correct it is on muruga at "kalugumalai" in tamil Nadu and is written in trutheeya Vibhakthi

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

One who is secretly discussed by saints like suka
Secretly?

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Yes,Vyaasa first told all the puranas to Ganapthi ( He assisted vyasa in compiling and organising the puranas) Vyasa again told them all to Suka and Saunaka. They were meant to be a secret. Even now how many people know at least one of them properly..

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

I do have a rendition of Dandayudhapanim by Sanjay...wondering if it would be appropriate to u/l it!! :o

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

good job, kiransurya!!! great going...
just a point about MD's first kriti..Shri Nathadi..the first line in the pallavi when notated..goes like SRGMPDNS SNDPMGRS..the aro-avaro of MMG!! SRGM is in first speed...PDNS in second speed..and SNDPMGRS in third speed!! :D whatta genius!!! :rolleyes:

there is this concert of Sanjay singing at Gurugahanjali which consists of only kritis on Subrahmanya... the list goes like this:
1. swaminatha paripalaya - nattai
2. kumara swaminam - asaveri
3. shringara shaktyayudha - ramamanohari
4. dandayudhapanim - ananda bhairavi
5. shri subrahmanyo - thodi
6. sarasa sauvira - sauvira
7. shri subrahmanyaya - kambojhi
8. sadhu jana vinutam - gitapriya
9. gajamba nayako - jhenjhuti

loveeeeeeeely concert!! oh the ramamanohari and sauvira kriti!!! :rolleyes:

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

If you have the audio can you post it for the benefit of everyone. I crazy about Dikshitar krithis

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

If you have the audio of the concert, can you post it for the benefit of everyone? Iam crazy about Dikshitar krithis

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

there are copyright issues...:(

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Thats alright. Do you think we can get a CD of this concert on the market?

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

dont think its available commercially... but i guess its OK if we share this concert 'privately' thro' email ;)

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

As long as we dont tell people that we did
Kiransurya79@yahoo.co.in
Would be good if you can send it. Its upto you..
Thanks
Kiran

Sahana-priyan

Post by Sahana-priyan »

Can i also be one of the secret people getting the recording? Atleast the Dhandayuthapaneem krithi. I have been looking for that for so long. Atleast the CD info. please if i cannot get the concert.

carnatakapriyan@gmail.com

Thanks.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Oh an open secret :P

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

will u/l it over the weekend!!! shall i send an email (secretly, ofcourse) to u guys... ;) or give the link here???

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Its up to you. However, you better be careful and dont get yourself into trouble.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

No VenkatPV, please dont share it here. If possible, please dont share it anywhere else either. :-)

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

does anyone have a recording of the Kambojhi kriti Kasi vishveshvara ehi?? do u/l it if possible. thanks

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

Smt. R.Vedavalli sings "Venkateshwara vibhavitena" and not "Venkateshwara nama rupena" in the Suddha Dhanyasi kriti Subramanyena rakshitoham.
http://www.sangeetham.com/others/viewkr ... =Dikshitar

i consider the latter as the correct version...was really surprised to hear RV (whom i respect as a great great vidushi) singing the "other" version. i am really confused about which is the authentic version. :( more so, bcos RV lays special emphasis on singing authentic versions!!!

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Some others sing the same line (in Subrahmanyena Rakshitoham) as "Venkateswara su pujitena"

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

I checked out with TK Govinda rao's book and Sri ram Krishna Sastry's book both of them say it is Venkateswara naama roopena.