Arasi (Smt. Rajee Krishnan)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
arasi

Re: arasi (Smt. Rajee Krishnan)

Post by arasi »

VKailasam,
Ah, the perks?

Such as folks offering their seats to me when they see tired-me get into transit trains at the airport, offering me help when I try to cross a traffic-crazy road in India, my little grandson asking for my help to open a door with a knob he can't reach, and when I do so, hastening to warn me only to use my 'good hand' , people not dwelling on my little mistakes because they take those to be signs of aging....

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

...and the VIP treatment when they get to know you..
exclaiming with eyes wide open:
"So you are that Arasi of Rasikas.org-fame!
You look so young..." :D

arasi

Post by arasi »

Duh! With the wrinkles and the wrinkles in my brain holding less matter :(
Yet, who's complaining? ;)

Let's not forget Andy Warhol in all this. How many short minutes did he say that one's celebrity state lasts in our times?

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident. Riches take wing. Only one thing endures. And that is character……which you have in plenty….

wrinkles can appear above your eye brow ..but, do not allow it to be around your heart…

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks folks, for the affection you have for me!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

OK! I change my statement...
"So you are that Arasi of Rasikas.org-fame!
You look so young at Heart..."

arasi

Post by arasi »

You got it!

nivedita

Post by nivedita »

I've just made a blogpost on Arasi-ji. :)

Here's the link: http://nivedita.wordpress.com/2012/03/1 ... of-hearts/

venkatakailasam

I am extremely sorry that my post #379 has not been understood..
There are a couple of mails asking me to clarify "The wrinkles around the heart " and what prompted me to write like this..
Wrinkles above the brows and not wrinkles around heart is a commonly used saying..
It means that even in old age when wrinkles appear on the face , one's love and affection towards others should not diminish..

Nothing more nor less..which has to be understood in good spirit...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Wrinkles around the eyes and mouth, even on the face of a child, are a welcome sight--when they express a 'hearty' smile. So is a happy wink ;)
So, what is there to 'frown' about wrinkles? I hope, even the young among us who don't sport them as a mark of mature years do look upon them kindly...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nivedita,
Thanks for your blog post.
Surely, you do know how happy I was that I finally meet you, having missed seeing or listening to you the past few years!
As many on the forum would agree, we feel as if we know you well--from your being among us and from your very good interviews that we have seen.
The pleasure was mine, meeting you, Viji the producer and others (your partner in life as well, patiently waiting for you in the lobby!).

Since I'm familiar with a sound studio from my childhood (taking part in children's programs and in plays and other broadcasts in my adulthood), a television studio (which I wasn't used to) did not seem very different. So, I felt at home, I guess.
I was struck by the fact that in spite of the day being Christmas day and a big holiday, you both rounded up enough crew to tape Anuradha Sridhar's interview and mine. The otherwise buzzing studio looked almost like a haunted mansion that day, with hardly any folks to be seen anywhere around. Even the News Section's floor looked deserted!

Hope you are completely recovered now. I did not know that you were ailing. Very professional you were, indeed...

nivedita

Post by nivedita »

Dear Arasi-ji,

Thank YOU, for making it happen! :) And yes, I'm completely alright now. :)

rshankar, Just read your post on the previous page, about my married name. My husband's name is Ajay, but I retain my maiden name Nivedita Narayanan. I don't know who Nivedita Subramaniam is! :P

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good to hear that you are feeling fine--with Ajay by your side ;)

venkatakailasam

Engu paarthaalum-Raga Devaghandari-

Composer....Smt.Rajee Krishnan....

Rendered by Smt. Sumitra Nitin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX98Y013mjs

This is also available in my you tube links..http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 7&start=50

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

What a beautiful remix!
You have embellished arasi's lovely lyrics meaningfully -
not to mention Nitin's intoxicating rendition!
Thanks...
Try a few others too - after getting the author's permission..

venkatakailasam

The songs were provided by Smt Sumitra Nitin herself...stating that they are all non commercial.
Of course the approval of arasi is also there..

venkatakailasam

Sumitra Nitin-Rama nee padamu Abhogi-Arasi...listen at...

http://soundcloud.com/venkatakailasam/0 ... n-rama-nee

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Excellent.
Demonstrates Arasi's multilingual talent.

venkatakailasam

Naadi vandeen - gambhiira naattai - aadi...

Composed by Smt Rajee Krishnan ( arasi )

Rendered by Smt Sumitra Nitin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXb-1DlcRl8

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Beautiful remix. Thanks..

venkatakailasam

Solla solla Vachaspathi....

Composer...Arasi Rajee krishnan...

Rendered by Smt. Sumitra Nitin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HJhTeJzvxw

venkatakailasam

E SWARA-004-Smt. Sumitra Nitin-Inda pillai enne seyum....Ragamalika...flv

Composed by Smt Rajee Krishnan....(arasi)...lyrics provided...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qovc50zxv4o

venkatakailasam

E Swara-002-Sivanr Natanam kanden-Smt. Neela Ram Gopal(composition by Smt Arasi).....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqWXN-W3HxA

'E'-SWARA- 001-Kurai-theerpaan-hamsadwani.Smt. Neela Ramgopal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Avd7DEQKv8

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Very nice remix with pleasing visuals.
Neela has sung with correct enunciations and bhavam.
It will be nice if Arasi posts the lyrics for the first...

venkatakailasam

Re: Arasi (Smt. Rajee Krishnan)

e swara 007- Inbamaayinum Tunbamadanennum -Smt Neela Ram gopal-( composition of Arasi) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2L6_EGztM4

I am not sure which deity arasi had in mind..I took it as Maha Periva for whom the song aptly apply..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

...appropriate indeed!
unless arasi had Sai Baba in mind :D

venkatakailasam

e swara 010- Sumitra Nitin-Unnai ninainde- Punnagavarali-composed by arasi...

Copyright tag free Audio provided by Smt. Sumitra Nitin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sMNcasMLM4

arasi

Post by arasi »

VKailasam,
Came upon these just now!
Thank you so much for bringing Neela Ramgopal and Sumitra Nitin's singing of my songs to this thread.
As always, you do a great job of adding the visuals.I am glad you bring mahA periyavar here. Philosophical musings like these are born out of inspiration from such
divine beings.
This song, sung with poise and feeling by Neela is from the second CD. Though one of the pictures show her with V.V.Murari and forumite Mannarkoil Balaji (they played at the CD release concert), in this recording Neela is accompanied by Charulatha Ramanujam and Anoor.

Your visuals for Sumitra's song unnai ninaindE innisai pADi(a song from the first CD) are again pleasing and soothing--just in the way she emotes the lines.
Sumitra sings the song in the concert here with Ambika Prasad on the violin and our own Erode Nagaraj and Venkatasubramanian on percussion.

Thanks again for choosing these two songs (both similar in thought)--which are sort of my favored ones too ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

For the folks who had in the recent past asked me for some of my songs which VKailasam had posted but were not available for sometime: they are back now. Vidushi Neela Ramgopal and Sumitra Nitin have sung them.

Thanks, VKailasam!

pvs

Post by pvs »

Arasi,
Just chanced upon your 'Engu parthalum' on Youtube. It paints my mood in the same happy colors and contours 'Enneramum' does (inspiration?). Though I have listened to many other compositions of yours and enjoyed them (I'm at fault for not giving them due attention; my apologies), this song has started me on a more detailed revisit of them all, extracting more enjoyment from 'Unnai ninainde'! Many many thanks and best wishes to continue with hundreds more! So much to hear, so little time...

arasi

Post by arasi »

PVS,
Thank you kindly! That you have spent this much time with the songs is itself gratifying!

When I arrived at engu pArthAlum--I wasn't even conscious that it resembled ennEramum. Then, someone pointed it out, and yes, even the eDuppu is like that. ennEramum conjures up a visual image which (in all its verses) reaches grandeur. Engu pArthAlum speaks of a search in which one asks: Nature, which is so overwhelming and moving to the senses, can it bring your nearness to me, God? Nature nurtures the soul, and is all around me where I live, fortunate that I am!

It's all a lot of work, bringing every song to light. I'm lazy I suppose, when it comes to working on a project like that :(

pvs

Post by pvs »

My pleasure, Arasi. Very interesting! Yes, I enjoyed the simple and meaningful lyrics (I'm a native Tamil speaker) and the 'total' parallel in the pallavis of the two - 'all the time' and 'wherever I see'. Thanks again! So many works and you call this 'lazy'! :))

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Taking this quote from another thread:
arasi wrote: I can tell Ramaraj how he inspired me
To compose in rAgAs I was not even aware of!
arasi ,
Did you compose on any ragas that he told , just curious you can list them in this thread if there are new numbers.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
As always, thank you for your constancy in being interested in my songs.

Yes, Ramaraj was one reason (the other one--my being exposed to rare rAgAs in live concerts, elaborated by fine vocalists with rAgAs and svarAs). I got emboldened by these experiences, I guess.

A few years ago, when you were in Bengaluru with your better half (the best half for both of you, your charming daughter hadn't arrived then!), you were on my case for not doing much with my songs, and went through a pile of songs I had--even the one in chandrakauns! I have been quite productive the past year and now, I have a number of them in a variety of rAgAs, thanks to you all.

Of the songs which are already out there, in my rather short season, I heard Sumitra Nitin sing 'chinnak kaiyai virithenniDam veNNai kELAyO?' at NGS, and one of my favorite artistes and persons, Gayathri Girish wrote and told me that she was singing 'oru nALEnum' in kAmbOdi early in the season. I wrote back to say I was still in Bengaluru. She then asked me on which day I could make it to her concert, and did sing it for me at Indian Fine Arts! I loved the way she prefaced it with a virutham and sang it with such bhAvam. How I wish it can be shared here! (she had heard Sumitra Nitin sing it in the third volume of the Arasi CD).

Surya is interested in singing two other songs (other than 'inRu varuvAnO?') in his concerts and had asked for the lyrics which I have sent him. Hope he sings one in a concert soon, and you can hear him too :)
Last edited by arasi on 15 Jan 2014, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.

venkatakailasam

Arasiji..your songs are here..I think I told you when you called me a few days back..

concert 011-Rajee Krishnan Compositions..

at ..

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2013/11 ... isten.html

Unfortunately, it is a uncared for thread...Many good concerts are being missed..After all I have nothing to lose...

arasi

Post by arasi »

Venkatk,
I always appreciate your effort in bringing my songs for others to hear! Your tireless service to the rasikA community in making thousands of songs available is commendable.

I was telling Rajesh how well Gayathri Girish sang my song (the one Sumitra Nitin has sung on the CD), and wondered if she would let us listen to her version here.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi,
Jog my memory a bit here , chinnak kaiyai virithenniDam veNNai kELAyO is in karnataka devagaandhari right. I do know a month or two back there was a sudda dhanyasi number that suryaprakash sang, did not hear it live. Looks sumitra,gg and suryaprakash have taken up this season. Any luck from Neela maami this time in taking any of your compositions? I am assuming JS did not sing this season.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, Sumitra sang the karnataka devagandhari one so well. Neela?
Not this season, I don't think. JS would have, but had to cancel her concert due to ill health.

Don't know if Surya sang any last month. Shashikiran and Ganesh might, some day. The former reiterates that he wants to.

My! Has it turned out to be a self-promotion day? :(

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote: Something which happened ages ago, came back to me! I still don't know the answer, but this is what happened. I was working as a sub-editor for a short time at a low key quasi-government publication. After working for a newspaper, it was vacation time for me. Little work, too many people to tackle it. I had a friendly editor who gave assignments which I finished quickly (due to my having worked at a constantly busy daily). I would take a book out of my desk and start reading it, or go to the cafeteria for a cup of coffee. The senior among the sub-editors could not brook it. He said, 'you can't read a book or have your coffee except at the 'understood' hour'! I would say, 'give me some work to do, and I'll stay'. He would scrounge around for some scraps of paper, and after working on them, I'd make my way to the cafeteria. It irked him no end, and the farce went on for a while.

Then, one day the editor called me into his office and said, 'you do more than your share of work. Please feel free to take some time off here and there'! Bless that old gentleman! With that carte blanche, the documentary section next door was a fun-filled learning ground for me.

Now, considering that I was not in my seat (or was sitting and reading a book) the right thing to do? I still don't have an answer, in the light of what we are discussing here: a performer deciding on his time on stage dependent on his artistic satiation level...

Then again, I had my editor's permission and approval for it ;)
Arasi,
That is interesting .I wished you had sung then veenAsaigaLil veezhvEnO in unnai ninaindu of yours in kuntalavarAli instead of reading another book and having another coffee. Atleast one kuntalavarAli would have slowly permeated then in 1950 to 1960's and now that number would compete with bhogeendra sAyinam.

Putting that aside , Arasi dont feel shy, just write about your experiences .Possibly atleast segment into four parts ,
1.your years in India inclusive of your book reading and publishing experience.
2.Then a bit about your UK
3.Then about your early days in US.
4. May be the last decade and half in US.

Write long post , this is just dry time for music and kutcheris. Donot feel shy.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Thanks for asking! And you had to bring this post all the way from elsewhere ;)
Thanks for asking--but there aren't many younger people like you who would ask MKR or VKV, us old folks to share our experiences as if they matter.

Still, considering the number of fans MMI and other musicians of the bygone era are worshiped by a number of much younger people like you...it all looks promising for CM!

I'm just a big mouth :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Just a little correction: unnai ninaindE inniSai pADi ennALum irundiDalAmO? is in punnAgavarALI (SaradE! Sarasvathi is in kunthalavarALi) on the same CD.

How can vINASaigaLil vIzhvEnO? be speed-sung in Kunthala varALi? It needs the elongated musical notes of punnAga varALi, don't you agree?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi,
You are obviously right. All the more better let there be unnai ninaindE in punnAgAvarAli of yours and let it find a place in many concerts like swati's bhOgeendra sAyinAm in kuntalavarAli .

Anyway please start writing about yourself as mentioned in the last post.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

venkatakailasam wrote:Arasiji..your songs are here..I think I told you when you called me a few days back..

concert 011-Rajee Krishnan Compositions..

at ..

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2013/11 ... isten.html

Unfortunately, it is a uncared for thread...Many good concerts are being missed..After all I have nothing to lose...
Sri VKailasam-Thanks.
arasi madam-All your compositions are execellent and have been rendered by the duo very melodiously.

bagyamananthu41

Post by bagyamananthu41 »

" Unfortunately, it is a uncared for thread...Many good concerts are being missed..After all I have nothing to lose..."

Sorry..even if comments are not there, these have been seen by nearly a thousand people...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi recently released two cds and those reviews are there in the forum in the below url
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24840 and http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24821

I just notice that kalakendra has the cds for sale in their website.

Engirundo Vandai Penne by Suryaprakash:
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.kalakendra.com/shopping/engi ... -3848.html

Paattu Dipamai Olirude by Gayathri Girish:
----------------------------------------------
http://www.kalakendra.com/shopping/paat ... -3847.html

Please do buy and if you get a chance to hear also review it(hear hear especially srinivasaraghavan)

cacm

ARASI'S COMPOSITIONS

Post by cacm »

I am starting a discussion on ARASI'S COMPOSITIONS esp specifically her latest cd's VOL: 4(ENGIRUNDO VANDAI PENNE!") AND VOL 5: "Paatu Dipamai Olirude" rendered respectively by Suryaprakash & Smt.Gayathri Girish respectively.
To me ARASI'S COMPOSITIONS are the answer to whether lyrics, emotions and words MATTER. (Being discussed in another topic in another section). In my view she has CLEARLY PROVED that not just the notes or their accurate rendering that alone matter but the WHOLE IMPACT is a combination of ALL OF THE ABOVE. Being a good poetess she manages to COMBINE various aspects to compose songs that move one beyond just the words or the music.
Suryaprakash has imaginativelty rendered Padams&Javalis (ESP Swarams, Neravals & Chitta Swarams) which as has been pointed out correctly (except for Mahakavi Bharathiyar) has previously been the province of men as they experienced love. These verses in Arasi's compositions are very gentle & the ragas are PERFECT to express the sentiments in a more sophisticated fashion. The result has been a deeper & gentler expression on the subject which ENHANCES the sentiments & feelings THROUGH MUSIC.
Gyathri Girish is the IDEAL singer to perform almost any composition because of her discipline, dedication , and competence; Hence her renderings of Arasi's compositions are appropriate & properly delienate Arasi's contributions over the years.
My wish is that experts here start a meaningful analysis& discussion about Arasi's works as I feel it can be very illuminating esp. reg. what matters in Carnatic music---compositions, contents, technicalies etc-
VKV :idea: :D :) ;)

mohan

Re: ARASI'S COMPOSITIONS

Post by mohan »

arasi

Post by arasi »

Countless rasikAs have benefited by Lakshman's tireless service in his sharing compositions with us. His zeal and efforts are unmatched in this.Wish I had an iota of his devotion.

He has been asking me to post my songs on KarnAtik for a while now. Not seeing me do it, he has done it himself :) A dear friend he truly is :)

My thanks to KarnAtik, for their publishing the lyrics of my songs :)

I'm posting this here, so that those who have asked for the lyrics can find them now.

Arun's App also has lyrics from my earlier CDs. Thanks to him too. He's also the trigger for my wanting to compose the thematic songs which Suryaprakash has sung admirably in 'EngirundO vandAi :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

LJi
I see in the url http://www.karnatik.com/composers.shtml
Rajee krishnan is listed and clicking on that we see only 54 compositions of arasi after clicking that

Will it be possible for you to make a change so that her pen name is listed too , let it be Arasi (Rajalakshmi Krishnan).

Arasi
Atlast some thing moves ????? Get everything thru arasan - is all there in your almirah.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,

Reprimand me you would, won't you, as fond as you are of me :( :)

I am just Rajee, not Rajalakshmi, which is more misleading :lol:

All the songs Lakshman has taken the time to post are the ones that have come out on CDs.

One song which is about MS, I have posted here. This being her centenary year, If Cienu obliges, we can even have a recording of it--sung by Aishwarya several times (and with his mother, when it was first sung)...