Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Suji! Check your email

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suji,
With Shrikaanth's permission, will you post one of those songs for all of us to hear?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Finally,I have the recently released CD's of Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy's compositions. The compositions are in sanketi, kannada and sanskrit.
Those in NA who wish to get a copy of the CD's can email me.

I got to listen to CD's. Very nicely rendered by the vidushis Dr TS Satyavati/disciples and Dr. TS Sukanya Prabhakar. There are compositions some of us have heard DRS render before in this thread and some which are totally new. One can listen to compositions in AsampUrna melas and some compositions in rare ragas in this CD.

Here's the list of songs on the CDs

1. rAma UnkOkilla- kOkilArava-rUpaka
2. kallanArIti-nArirItigaula- khanDa cApu
3. nenayara nimiShame-jayaShuddhamAlavi-rUpaka
4. SritajanahitE-nAgadhvani-khanDa Jhampe
5. mInAakShi manasu kalla- Anandabhairavi- mishra cApu
6. rAjamAtangi-suraTi-Adi
7. pAlana panna-gaurI vELAvaLi-Adi
8. nAcArAmbAm namAmyaham-erukula kAmbodhi- Adi
9. narasimhAta namastE-JhanjUti-rUpaka

1. nimiShamAnu-dESIsimhArava-Ata tala varna
2. nambika ondindAka-gaula-rUpaka
3. rAjAdhirAjandE rath-madhyamAvati-mishra cApu
4. natarAjam Alokaya-kedAram- catuSra rUpaka
5. kangaLu kAmbOdillave-kAmbOdhi-rUpaka
Last edited by Suji Ram on 15 Nov 2009, 03:24, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Looking forward to listen to these CDs!

Sreeni Rajarao

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

As said by arasi above it would be nice if you post any one of the renditions with the permission of Dr.Shrikanth

arasi

Post by arasi »

Look at the play of words in some sAhityAs in the list, the rAgA names embedded in the first lines, as Dr. Satyavathi pointed out in her speech. Waiting for a translation. While I understood what she was saying, I am not proficient in kannaDa to translate her speech.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I wish somebody did :(
I would have understood somewhat if the speech was in Sankti :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Very keen to hear the songs. What a scholar Dr.Shrikaanth K.Murthy is!
dEsi simhAravam, is another name for hEmavathy, isn't it?
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 15 Nov 2009, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I hope the CDs find their way to Chennai audio shops and sabha lobbies during the season so that rasikAs outside karnataka can buy them.

Punarvasu,
You are doubly pleased about simhAravam, aren't you? :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi, yes- even if it means 'roar of a country lion'. :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

arasi wrote:I hope the CDs find their way to Chennai audio shops and sabha lobbies during the season so that rasikAs outside karnataka can buy them.
One quick point about a month back, I , DRS and cool agreed so that both me and cool will stock his cd's (sufficient quantity) and will distribute it to more folks for its stated price in chennai region. Though Cool will also take distribution rights to his native home town also in karnataka.

We have not got the cdyet , cool said he will get it when he goes to bangalore , will check and let you all know about the modalities of distribution.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Suji
By any chance can you mark the compositions in terms of which are sanketi, kannada and sanskrit.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Here's a link for some samples of the kritis with DRS's permission

I like the "kangaLu kAmbOdillave" the best of the best.

http://www.esnips.com/web/ShrikaantaKru ... ha-Tasters
Last edited by Suji Ram on 15 Nov 2009, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Fine Appetizers!
I agree with you on that powerful Kambodi!
The ragas are indeed tantalizing...

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Excellent. Very nice to hear the appetizers. A combination of familiar ragas and not so familiar ragas in a variety of thalas, a very unique pair of well produced CDs indeed.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Suji,
Thank you so much!
I love the kangaLu kAmbOdillavE too, but each song has its own beauty.
DRS makes us all proud! Satyavathi's opener to all the rest, they have a majestic gait.
We see how music and composing is a part of him. We know how bright he is too. May he have a rich time of composing gems which can span a life time and with his scholarship and experience in his field, may he heal many a person in his capacity as a mental science expert as well.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

tathAstu||

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Here is a translation of what Dr Sathyavathi says about Dr Shrikaanth Murthy in this video. Not a verbatim translation, but hopefully doesn't deviate from what she says:

(This one is is not from the CD release function)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b__I3qJhLNs

"I'm presenting a composition of Dr Shrikaanth Murthy, a very talented composer of our times, as the main item in this concert. There are several reasons for me to choose this composition - the most important being that it is a composition of very high standard. Another reason is that the theme of the composition is about he greatness of teacher. This composition is in Sanketi language. As you might know, Sangeetha Vidya Sagara Sri R R Keshavamurthy was a Sanketi too, and I'm very honored to present this composition here as an offering to him. It is a very pleasant experience to this this composition with its dvitIyAkshara prAsa, antyAkshara prAsa, simple yet taught sAhitya. This composition is set in Kharaharapriya rAga, AditALa"

-Ramakriya

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks Ramakriya...
Didn't know R R Keshavamurthy was also a Sanketi as is Satyavati and Sukanya (?)...
Could you make a short list of CM elites who are Sanketis so we can keep watch when they sing DRS's compositions!

arasi

Post by arasi »

And vocalists in Karnataka and elsewhere can sing them. They can also sing the the sanskrit and kannaDa ones. SankEti krutis have a place in CM just as maNipravALam which though is an invention and is not a spoken language, found a place in CM and is appreciated by rasikAs, thanks to SwAti TirunAL.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Here is a short list of CM elites who are sanketis. I have listed just one person in each category :)

R K Shrikanthan (vocal)
S Shashank (flute)
Late R K Suryanaryanana (Veena)
R K Shriramkumar (violin)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arasi
You are right!
Let us expect from ALL CM artistes DRS as well as arasi compositions!

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Are the CDs available for purchase in any shop in Chennai?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

They will be. The CDs are just out. I will post the details as soon as I get to know!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks ramakriya
S Shashank (flute)
Late R K Suryanaryanana (Veena)
R K Shriramkumar (violin)
are indeed surprises!
No women ?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Last edited by ramakriya on 25 Nov 2009, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks ramakriya for the glimpse. I am still waiting to receive my CDs!
Though I am not a scholar in CM at your level I have an equal enthusiasm as a Rasika of DRS. His sahityams are very informative, musically pure and educational. May I invoke your help to understand the kannada/sanketi compositions so we can enjoy the music here along with the meanings?

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

I have also ordered for a copy! I am waiting to listen!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

srinivasrgvn wrote:Yes, ramakriya. Even I wanted to ask you for translations. You are the perfect person. Please tell us if you will do it.
Tell me which kriti you want translations for.

-Ramakriya

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Ramakriya, I want translations for all the kannada and sanketi kritis.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srinivasrgvn wrote:CML, an album review will definitely come from me, after a few weeks. And, Rajesh will review it too. His analysis will be better than mine, I am sure. But, you are assured of 2 reviews at least!
srinivasrgvn
Let us do this , you have the cds and I have the cds. We both have not opened the cds yet .Let us first listen , review that, keep it in our notepad . Let us call each other,post each of our reviews in succession without either of us reading the other. All compositions are new let us see how our tastes match-mismatch with DRS compositions, neither of us should not read the other review. Either this week or the 2nd week from now . I will keep it ready. Nice seeing you yesterday.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 27 Nov 2009, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I think second week may be better as I hope by then I would receive my copy when I can intelligently participate in the discussions. Let us also give some time for many admirers of DRS to have received their copies. It is nice of ramakriya to have offered help so we won't have a language barrier!

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

CML and ramakriya, thanks a lot for the lyrics. I will be extremely happy if you could provide the translation, CML.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

nAchArA AmbAm = To mother nAcAramma
namAmhyaham = I venerate
shrI
narasimha dEva bhaktAM = devotee of Lord narasimha
shAntAm = one who is peaceful

AchAra sampradAya dIpikAm = One who has established a (new) way of conduct (AchAra)
avalaMbita jana mArgadIpikAm = lighting a new path to the trusting followers [1]

ganDIchIra pravartikAm tAM = One who introduced the new distinct way of dressing the sari (known as gaNDI chIra) [2]
khAMdIkRta matsarayuta kupanDitAm = One who castigated the jealous evil-minded scholars(kupaNDitAm) [3]

sakalA shAstra vidyA vishAradAm = A scholar versed in all shAstras
sangIta nRtya sAhityAmudAm = One who is pleased by music/dance/literature
akaLamkAm = the spotless one
svayamEva shAradAm = who is the incarnation of Goddess sarasvati
Anandita shrIkanta kRti padAm = one who is pleased by the verses of shrIkaanta

prakaTIkrta jyOtishmatI phalAm = Who exposed the (effects) of the jyotiShmati fruit [4]
prabalIkrta sankEti varakulAm = Who made famous the 'sankEti' clan of followers.
vikalIkrta bhaktAgha kaShmalAm = one who removes the sins and faults of the devotees
vividha varadAna chaNa padakamalAm = one who is an expert in granting various boons (to devotees prostrating on her lotus feet)

For clarification of the historical details in [1] to [4] consult the references given above. Perhaps ramakriya can enlighten us concisely these historical details which refer to the evolution of the sanketi community who count themselves in about a million spread all over SI and many who are prosperously established in several parts of the world.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover wrote:the evolution of the sanketi community who count themselves in about a million spread all over SI and many who are prosperously established in several parts of the world.
A million is a very high number in this context - Although I don't have exact number, something between 50,000 to 100,000 might be a realistic estimate.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You are right! I meant about 100,000. I estimated they would be about 10% of the smartha brahmins in SI.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is a little beauty
KallanÄÂÂ

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
I love this song too!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Yes!
kaLLanAri rIti and kangaLu kAmbOdillave are on my list of favorites too!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML, nice to read your comments as you are enjoying the CDs.
BTW, This song in nArirItigaula is in kannaDa not sankEti.

arasi

Post by arasi »

While we are celebrating Shrikaantha, I spoke to someone who is a thousand times prouder than all of us put together--his mother. She was delighted that Dr. Sathyavathy took up his kharaharapriya kruthi and elaborated on it. A sublime main it must have been.
While I agree that several of us are cheerleaders here on the RasikAs and get carried away sometimes, DRS is truly something else. So young and yet so mature in his learning and in his compositions. If you think of him as our modern MD, his knowledge of tamizh would surprise you more.
Let's hope there will be tamizh songs too, coming from tiruvin maNALan, sahAnA priyan :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

...and pruthvee rAjan :)
Yes he is a polyglot as his knowledge of Tamil is superior. He has of course composed in Tamil and of late in Malayalam as well. We know a doctor has to know many tongues so he can cure illness universally. He is one step higher since he knows the language of Music which is universal!

Nice to hear you talked to Padmini Amma who must be very proud that her son's talents are getting recognized. We should all be grateful to her for laying the foundation.

By the by you should also get one of your songs tuned in rItigauLai which is a bewitching raga!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Suji

Are you sure?
( I said sanketi since I could understand it without effort :)
arasi! second opinion :)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Few notes:

[quote="cmlover"]Here is a little beauty
KallanÄÂÂ

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks ramakriya!
So I goofed mistaking Kannada for sanketi :)
Please tell us when nArIritigaulai separated from rItigauLai. Of course Thyagaraja composed only in the later version of rItigauLai. It will be nice if Arun participates and sets the historical records right.

I meant DRS has MD style only as far as the sanskrit kritis aree concerned. His Kannada kritis are daasar style only since he is equally an expert in that area.

Can you tell us (or provide a link) about ShishunaLa Sharief?

We are counting on your help to understand the rest of kannada/sanketi compositions of DRS!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Ramakriya
Will he also be considered a 'dasa' in poetic parlance though he was a muslim?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Here is a review of the CDs of DRS by Sandhya Vinjamuri the daughter of the noted CM savant:
Dear Rasikas,

It was kind of Dr. ShriKaanth Murthy to have got his CDS sent to me. Here is a short writeup that he richly deserves. I hope that the rasikas will do well in obtaining the CDs to listen and encourage the young, talented first RasikaPriya awarded Rasika.

The first CD is not heavy classical in the way they were sung (without Ragam, swaram etc.) by Vidushi TS Satyavathi and her disciples. The songs were arranged in a male , female alternative voices with a short introduction about the raga. Dr.SM introduced a few apoorva ragas in this mix (or they selected) like Kokilarava, Nariritigowla, Jayasuddhamalavi, Nagadhwani etc. which gives a chance for rasikas to enrich their knowledge. The renditions were so pleasing to the ear that one could listen to the entire CD without ever feeling the time pass by. Even though I am not well versed in Sankethi or Kannada, the language is so smooth flowing for one not to feel the burden of listening to an unknown language. All in all CD-1 is a must for any music lover!

The second CD is more heavy classical and was solely sung by Smt. Satyavathi which were in ragas Desisimharava (Hemavathi or Haimavathi?) - ata tala varnam, krutis in Gowla, Madhyamavathi, Kedara and Kambhoji (Spelt as Kambodhi). The songs were pleasing to the ear, once again and is a little heavy to concentrate and listen in one sitting, unless of course you can devote the time to it. Both CDs are very good and compliment each other.

To talk about the lapses (as small as they might be): 1. There is difference in the order of the songs listed verses recoded (very minor). 2. I definitely would have preferred to have the lyrics (if not notation) to be included in the CDS since the lyrics are new to everyone except the singers and the composer. I am sure a collection book is in the works but providing lyrics would enhance the experience of listening to the new compositions tremendously. Other than these two, there were no lapses on the part of the producers of the CDs - the look is very professional, not unreasonable mistakes in the print (except there is a mix of different spellings - CHAPU and Caturasra, Kambhodi for Kambhoji (which is agreed to be the correct pronunciation) which again are minor and could be corrected for future productions.

All in all, I need to congratulate Dr. Sreekaanth for giving me this opportunity to listen and giving me permission to publish this to the Rasika group. I thoroughly enjoyed the CDs. My best wishes to Sreekanth for his future compositions. I am not sure how he finds time to (of course he is a man as opposed to a woman who has a lot more responsibility in this generation) do so many things, being a doctor, teaching music, composing and answering Rasikas questions etc.. when I am not able to do half of it without constantly fighting with the time! I admire you Dr. Sreekaanth!! Keep it up!!!

Regards,

Sandhya
This review has appeared in the sangeethapriya.com
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ra ... sage/32354

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Oh,CML, I was going to do the same thing - post the review of Ms.Sandhya here!! But, you have done it! We have similar thoughts, don't we?? =)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Yes we do! In fact if we come across other reviews we should get them posted here. I hope our Kannada friends will translate those appearing in the Kannada News Media.