Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
arasi

Post by arasi »

Wonder if any kannaDa paper (or magazine) has published a review yet.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Regarding the review by Smt Sandhya Vinjamuri, I wanted to make a point:

Both kAmbhOji, and kAmbhOdi do have textual backing, and the usage probably varies by region.

arunk

Post by arunk »

I have listened to CD1 of Drs' compositions so far - and the compositions I must say are excellent. The gait, the spacing of the words, the prasa etc. (although I havent placed that much attention yet) are all top-knotch.

I liked the nArirItigowla composition a lot. It starts with dpmgrs which I confirmed from drs as a prayoga that would that be something not in ritigaula i.e. the D2 one.. He said he wanted a start that will clearly establish that this raga is not a straightforward replacement of D2 of today's ritigowla with D1. I also found a particular sangati of one of the lines very unique and intriguing - perhaps something that could not in standard ritigaula or atleast rare (something like rgmgrs or something but ri itself is after an earlier sa?). Very haunting and charming krithi.

I had my mind made up even before listening to everything that I would probably like the nArirItigowLa the best :) - but then the nAgadhwani composition was equally excellent. Lovely cittaswara - and of course a rare tala (khanda jhampa). I thought it had some janaranjani/purnachandrika at the start and some nilAmbari shades, but I felt mostly sankarabharanam touch.

The yadukulakAmbhOji krithi is also lovely - simply superb. When I "look back", this was perhaps the best that I liked.

The "main" is a Anandabhairavi krithi (I guess understandably) reminded be of SS krithis - with the pallavi sort of like O Jagadamba, the anupallavi start (and may be start of swarasahita) marivere. The krithi is a very grand one with many intricate sangatis.

The suraTi krithi starts with ni~~ and that is a unique and lovely start.

I need to listen to it again and of course listen to the other CD.

Arun

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Nice to hear your comments Arun!

srkris
Site Admin

Re: Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy

Post by srkris »

Perhaps Dr. Shrikaanth is the only Carnatic composer in Sanketi (the language itself is sort of endangered), and hopefully this CD by Dr Sathyavathy will receive widespread interest among the larger CM community in considering Sanketi as a medium of expression along with the other lesser known languages. Dr. Shrikaanth's efforts will leave their footprints for posterity for linguists and musicians alike.

arasi

Re: Dr. Shrikaanth K Murthy

Post by arasi »

Well said, srkris! I hope that they also sing his kannaDa and sanskrit krutis. There are several sankEti speaking vidvAns and vidUshis. Hope they serve their language as well by singing Srikaanth's krutis in sankEti.

badari

Re:

Post by badari »

Suji Ram wrote:
drshrikaanth wrote:Lakshman
I just found 1 varNa in the tALa- kAmakOTi sundarAnguDa of vINe SEShaNNa, A rAgamAlike. This is a real odd varNa- The pallavi, anupallavi, ciTTeswara, ettugaDe pallavi and 4 ettugaDe swaras are in behAg and then there is long tail of rAgamAlike swaras starting with behAG, 13 rAgas and behAg again!!! I can hardly believe it!
wow!!
You should render it for us !

@ DrShrikaanth
were you able to take it up ?