Lalgudi G. Jayaraman

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
nallanchakra

Post by nallanchakra »

I have a video version of Mansuloni played by the lalgudi trio at Puttaparthi. If anyone is interested, I will post the same.....

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

kindly post that video

nallanchakra

Post by nallanchakra »

i will have to convert it into mp3. I will post it after conversion

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Hi, Vrbadri,

Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan has rendered the Pancharatna Kritis along with an orchestra. Brand: Keerthana. This is also available on www.udbhava.com

Dear all,

Here are some video clips from vasya10.tripod.com

Lalgudi Jayaraman
Lalgudi video clips (source: Coolkarni)

http://www.savefile.com/files/8521513
http://www.savefile.com/files/8475106
http://www.savefile.com/files/8249594

Coolkarni to comment.

Kaumaaram

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

Kaumaaram,
Thank you for your suggestion. Shall give then a try!
Thanks,
vrbadri.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Coolkarni to comment .
Wonder on what.
Did i upload them ?.Yes defintely it was me.
I put up small bits only because I do not have facility to upload big files.
I will request Kalgada to upload a bigger chunk if he has the time .It is a beautifuly produced video.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Coolkarni,

That was something that you had shared with that website owner. I meant that your popularity is so wide that if you contest in the next elections from the T Nagar constitutency, I am sure that you will win! I need not say that our NRI members will cast their votes by post.

Please do share the bigger chunk.

Kaumaaram

param

Post by param »

Does that mean that we need to request the authorities to start a seat to be voted for only by e-votes. Then K-ji will be elected even if he decides not to contest.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I thought coolkarni was already elected here without a contest! When he posts JJ's solitary renderings (as a manasika sishya of BMK/Kunnakudi) he will get the seat for South Chennai ;-)

jeevarathna

Post by jeevarathna »

Deccan Herald: 26-2-2006

Better late than never?
G Ulaganathan writes about violinist Lalgudi Jayaraman who has entered the arena of films with his music composition for the film, Sringaram - Dance of Love.

Lalgudi Jayaraman, the well-known violinist, is a purist to the core and is one of the Carnatic music legends of our time. He has mesmerised music lovers all over the world with his traditional music and has shyed away from controversies, unlike some of his contemporaries.

He, along with his children G J R Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi, form an unique team. Apart from the numerous tillanas that he has composed, which are widely used in the dance repertoire today, Lalgudi has been a connoisseur?s delight and has been lecturing students from different parts of the world, sharing his enormous music wisdom.

However, one field which he had managed to avoid all these days, is films. Though many of his compositions have been used fully or partly in film music, he has never ventured into composing music for films so far.

?I am not very comfortable with films that are being made these days... they are mostly on romantic themes interspersed with a lot of violence. For me music is divine, and anything that amounts to demeaning it is taboo,? he told a writer some time ago.

So, it comes as a surprise when he actually accepts to compose music for a feature film. ?But it is about music and the dominant theme will be the Sringara rasa, one of the Navarasas, he says.

Sringara, incidentally, is a hot favourite among poets and authors. The movie, Sringaram - Dance of Love is based on the Devadasi tradition. The movie has been directed by Sharada Ramanathan and the renowned cinematographer Madhu Ambat handles the camera.

Many popular classical singers including Bombay Jayshree, S Sowmya, O S Arun and T L Maharajan have rendered songs for this film. There is also a special instrumental number called Three seasons by G J R Krishnan and Vijayalakshmi. Mallari, a popular temple music form, has been stylised and presented by the Injikkudi Brothers on the Nadaswaram.

According to Sharada Ramanathan, the movie is a feature film and her chief protagonist is a Devadasi seeking freedom. Newcomer, Aditi Rao Hydari, a half-Konkani half-Muslim, who is also a Bharatanatyam dancer, has played this role. Malayalam actor Manoj Jayan plays the role of a mirasdar and the script is in Tamil. The film will be dubbed in other languages as well.

?Lalgudi agreed to compose music only after listening to the story and script a few times. It is still a mystery why he agreed to do this film though earlier he had rejected many film offers. There must have been something in the script to inspire him,? the director says.

An interesting addition is a folk song, and a traditional song of the Brahmanical engagement ceremony, contrasting with the sensuous Padam of the Devadasi.

The audio cassette was recently released recently in Chennai by maestro Ilayaraja who rarely attends such audio release functions. ?I came because I wanted to honour the living legend Lalgudi Jayaraman for his yeoman service to the field of Carnatic music,? he said at the function.

meena

Post by meena »

---
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Coolkarniji:

In the second video clip of Lalgudi, though we can see him playing, the sound that is heard is that of flute.

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

Coolkarniji:

was it during the Tyagaraja Aradhana? the other person next to Lalgudi, is he Sri Parur Anantharaman ?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Lalgudi, Ramani, UKS etc...

new_cmfan

Post by new_cmfan »

http://rapidshare.de/files/31636695/12_ … _.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/31636695/12_ ... _.mp3.html

I picked up this concert of LGJ from a generous donor and I was just listening to this song while working and my mother directed my attention to the way LGJ plays parts of it - he is certainly a genius.

The way he plays "vilayattu" is so playful, the way he allows the mridangist to take away the "thatti" in "thingindra podile thatti parippaan", the way his violin beseeches "enappan en aiyyan enral", the way his notes weave "pinnal"s in "pinnalai pinnindru", the way the notes disappear at "maraivan", the colorful notes that adorn the "vanna pudhu chelai", and of course when he plays "pullanguzhal kondu varuvan" is just mind-blowing(or should i say wind-blowing :)), and i sure am drunk after listening to "kaLLal mayanguvadu" - how can anyone create such emotions and sounds in a violin?

Wonder if he's done anything similar with other songs?
Last edited by new_cmfan on 02 Sep 2006, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

new_cmfan, I'd heard N.Ramani render the same piece (with his disciples) - it was absolutely brilliant! I think describing his rendition would be similar to your description above - but I haven't heard this rendition of LGJ's just yet.

rajajisrinivasan

Post by rajajisrinivasan »

I agree with you new_cmfan. LGJ is a genius. LGJ's rendition of Enna Thavam in kaapi is another example. Interestingly, there's a version of this krithi on musicindiaonline accompanied by N.Ramani.

kumaran.nadesan

Post by kumaran.nadesan »

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

kumaran.nadesan

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

rajajisrinivasan

Post by rajajisrinivasan »

kumaran.nadesan

-
Last edited by kumaran.nadesan on 04 Oct 2007, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Does any one have excerpts/etc from his final concert?

Ninja

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

He has not yet had his final concert

Probably you meant his latest one?

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

srkris,

I guess I must apologise for saying that. I remember reading in some newspaper once that he had retired and given his final concert, a violin duet with GJR... I must have been mistaken.

Cheers
ninja

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Lalgudi sir turns 76 today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

meena

Post by meena »

----

hsuvarna

Post by hsuvarna »

Best wishes to Sri LGJ on this occassion. True legend. Unforgettable thillanaas.

mdsmenon

Post by mdsmenon »

Can somebody post the jugalbandhi concerts of Lalgudi with TNS?
Regards

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Yeah, I thought I'd read LGJ had performed his final concert too. Maybe it was at the BBoard...

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Vocalist wrote:Yeah, I thought I'd read LGJ had performed his final concert too. Maybe it was at the BBoard...
It is this very thread see page 1.

http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=4744#p4744

sangeetarasikan

Post by sangeetarasikan »

IMHO, Lalgudi's solo wasn't as phenomenal as his accompaniment. I sometimes find that he becomes a caricature of himself during his solo renditions, excessively stretching certain swarams for highlighting the bhavam. His accompaniment is however another matter. We have seen so many brilliant violinists (Mysore Nagaraj, Manjunath, Gayatri when she used to play, Akkarai Subhalakshmi) but there are hardly a few who can match Lalgudi's class. I repeatedly get goosebumps when I hear his quick repartees for Alathur bros or GNB. Even though he has taken his last bow from the concert circuit, his old recordings will give us solace.

CSS

Post by CSS »

No doubts about this. Shri LGJ was and is the greatest violinist who excelled more when he accompanied artistes. Was he inspired by them ? Was it the challenge ? The ability to exactly reproduce what they sang and even go further ? Unfortunately, with his seniority, you cannot expect him to play 'second fiddle' to artistes much younger than himself !

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Thank you DRS. Didn't think of looking there/here :S lol

The LGJ trio altogether are quite good too. As strange as it may sound, the item I most look forward to in his concerts is/are LGJ thillana(s). Listening to him play at his senior level now (especially the thillanas), I feel I'm being transported into a dreamy kinda world...

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

Has Lalgudi in his solo concerts ever rendered the 4raga Shankarabaranam Thodi Kalyani Darbar RTP? I wish somebody post the concert in full for the benifit of the members Bye Venkat

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

Does anybody have the 4 raga pallavi concert of his.I believe he played this at Bangalore.The ragas Shankarabaranam Thodi Kalyani and Darbar It would be great if I could lay my hands on it Thanks Bye Venkat

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Ragjay wrote:Has Lalgudi in his solo concerts ever rendered the 4raga Shankarabaranam Thodi Kalyani Darbar RTP? I wish somebody post the concert in full for the benifit of the members Bye Venkat
Just for your info, posting full concerts is not allowed in this forum.

Musicfan

Post by Musicfan »

My vote to Lalgudi Jayaraman as greatest ever Indian Musician till date. Unmatched in any sphere of music.

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

[quote sangeetarasikan]
[ IMHO,Lalgudi's solo wasn't as phenomenal as his accompaniment.]
Lalgudi conducted an orchestration while accompanying. he is a master accompanist.
Last edited by chalanata on 22 Nov 2006, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

The 4 raga RTP is available in the sangeethamshare site, It is a wonderful treasure worth possessing
Kiran surya I am aware of the guidelines of this thread it was a request made with the intention of knowing if any one had the recording. For ur inf I had the privilege of listening to a 4hr concert of lalgudi playing this piece elaborately I had a copy of the recording which is damaged beyond redemption

meena

Post by meena »

----

ars

Post by ars »

Sri Lalgudi has not accompanied any artiste in several years now. Does anyone know whom he accompanied last?

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

Can anyone inform how many vocal concerts he has given? I heard one at Vani Mahal in the company of GJR and Vellore.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

The case of the Perfect 10

Way back in 1976 , when reports of Nadia Comaneci's perfect 10 at the Olympics splashed all over, I was a bit puzzled by the expression -Perfect 10.
Sure I knew that there would be judges who would be scoring and taking averages , but in those days , when I did not have access to TV , it was difficult for me to comprehend the full meaning of the expression.
And so when I took my doubt to my Dad and asked what was the nearest other thing I could relate with a Perfect 10, he looked up from his paper , thought for a while , and said

' Maybe a Lalgudi Concert.That is the closest that I can think of " and went back to his paper.
Decades later , while listening to a KGS concert of 1981, I am reminded of those words.Here are a few tracks from that memorable concert.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4b0mpo
03-Orajoobaju-Kannadagowla.mp3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/174l81
05-Rama Nee Samana-Kharaharapriya.mp3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/eetdv1
10-Rtp-Keervani.mp3

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/06/15/stor ... 940300.htm

I think we should move this to the vAgEyakaras thread...
Kji,
Any possibility of u/l his navarasa padavarNam, and
Lji,
Can we have the lyrics for the same?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

angayarkkaNNi (navarasa varNa). rAgamAlikA. Adi tALA.

1: Anandam. (rAgA: bilahari)
P: angayarkkaNNi Anandam koNDALE dishai engum venru veTri vAghai cUDinALE aNivIrargaL ratha gaja turagamuDan
2: shrngAram. (rAgA: husEni)
A: nangai kailainAthan tanaik-kaNDAL manam koNDAL nANik-kunindu iLa naghai cinda ninrAL
3: adbhutam. (rAgA: valaji) (ciTTasvara sAhitya)
erittAn mAranai kAlAl udaittAn kAlanai shivapirAn cirittE muppuram poDi ceida adbhutam kaNDu viyandAL
4: hAsyam. (rAgA: sArangA)
piTTukku maN sumandu ulagOr pirambaDi paDa vaitta shivanAr viraguk-
kaTTODu pADa umai kai koTTi cirittAL vAi potti naghaittAL
5: bIbhastam. (rAgA: sucaritra)
C: dEviyaip-paNindu aruL peruvOm
1: patiyai madiyAda dakSanin cerukkAl veruppuTrAL dAkSAyaNi
6: raudram. (rAgA: aThANA)
2: mahAkALi kapAlini trishUlini simhavAhini cinandezhundAL
kaNDamuNDa koDiya bhaNDAsuranai khaNDa tuNDamAi vadam sheida
7: bhayAnakam. (rAgA: rasikapriyA)
3: AlakAla viSam aran arunda arakkan kailai tanaik-kaiyAl asaittiDavE tighaitta
8: kAruNyam. (rAgA: shahAnA)
tAi pOl itdAraNi tannil dayai ceivAr uNDO aruT-pArvaiyE jagam kAttiDum
tuyar tIrttiDum em annai tanjam enrAl uLLam kanindu tanik-karuNai ceivAL
kaNNIr malgi karuttinilE tirup-pAdattai iruttiyE
9: shAntam. (rAgA: nAdanAmakriyA)
sarvAnandamaya cakravAsini shrI lalitAmbikaE sharaNam sharaNam ammA
muzhu mati mukham aruL vizhi punnakai tavazh ezhiluruvE unnai ennALum
tudippOm avaniyil anbu oTrumai arivATralum amaidi Anandam aishvaryamum
aruLvAi shAnta svarUpiNi sharaNam ammA shAnta svarUpiNi mInAkSi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks, Lji!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks rshankar and Lji. Nice choice of ragas by Lalgudi Jayaraman for the various rasAs.

Music

Post by Music »

Beautiful ragas in the padavarnam. Can anyone explain the meaning of this padavarnam? With my limited knowledge of Tamil, it looks more like a description of goddess Lalitha. Are there the navarasas really being expressed in the lyrics?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Pallavi expresses how mInAkshI was happy with her dik-vijayam, and anupallavi describes how on seeing the lord of Mt. kailAsh she felt overcome by love and coyness (because, she realized he was the ONE - the legend, when she appeared from the ceremonial fire as malayadhwaja pANDyan was performing the putrakAmEShThi, it was noticed that she had a supernumary mammary gland - a voice - asharIri - announced that it would disappear when she set eyes on the man she would marry - mInAkshi actually gets to Mt. kailAsh to conquer it, and defeats the shiva gaNas that are first sent to do battle with her, and finally shiva comes to do battle - but mInAkshi feels her extra breast disappear and is overcome by shringAra)...and so on and so forth...amazement (wonder) as she watched shiva destroy tri pura, kick yama, burn manmathan...laughed as she saw the whole world feel the swatch of the cane that hit shiva on his back, disgust at daksha for disrespecting her husband, fear as she saw halAhalam almost destroy her husband, compassion, like that of a mother to her devotees, and Lalgudi asks for the blessings of the SAnta swarUpiNi - the ever calm one.

Music

Post by Music »

Thanks, rshankar.