Kalyani Varadarajan

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
rajeshnat

Suryaprakash@sastri hall on Feb21st,2016

Post by rajeshnat »

mahavishnu wrote:I am amazed at Sri MC's energy and enthusiasm at his age.
I have not heard of the composer of the bhavani kriti. I would appreciate any information re: her. Thanks.
Mahavishnu
Kalyani varadarajan was an AIR artist (I think she was in either bombay or delhi and played veena,violin also ). While it was first time live experience of hearing on this bhavani krithi that Suryaprakash sang and more importantly to know that S kalyanaraman has sung.

At the top of my head i recollect that There are two krithis that TRS mama has sung of Kalyani varadharajan . They are payOrAsi bAlE (dwijavanthi) and aparnA parvathi (nalinakanthi). All three are gems and what a mahanubhavulu was kalyani varadarajan and TRS/SKR were .Thanks to few performing musicians of today.

MC mama was indeed very sharp during returns, his age is 82.

cacm

Re: Suryaprakash@sastri hall on Feb21st,2016

Post by cacm »

Kalyani Varadarajan was a very good violinist with many students in BOMBAY(now Mumbai) whose compositions were sung& praised by the likes
of S.R ajam & S.kALYANARAMAN as well as other artists of the golden era.
As a matter of fact in the HISTORIC concert in TIRUCHY on TWENTIETH century composers S.RAJAM had included & praised highly one of her compositions along w/Sivan, GNB, Meesu Krishna Iyer etc.
It is a PITY that like many GREAT ARTISTS many great COMPOSERS have been forgotten in today's concerts.....VKV

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

When I wrote a column in Dinamalar couple of years back, I had featured Smt. Kalyani Varadarajan too.

The article can be read here: http://isailive.dinamalar.com/review_detail.php?id=48

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:When I wrote a column in Dinamalar couple of years back, I had featured Smt. Kalyani Varadarajan too.

The article can be read here: http://isailive.dinamalar.com/review_detail.php?id=48
Lalitharam
Lovely writeup. Only a person of your competence/love for art can write with such clarity and bring Kalyani varadarajan thru Dinamani. When you have time listen also to payOrAsi bAle in dwijAvanthi (I have heard TRS in recording and Radha venkatachalam once singing ) you will feel like writing another dinamani article again like aparna in nalinakanti. Interestingly your point on kalyani varadarajan has studied only upto 5th standard is very noteworthy.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Rajesh,

I will surely look out for teh Dwijavanthi.

I was completely floored by a Chandrakauns rendition of her composition by S.Rajam.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Btw. The newspaper is Dinamalar and not Dinamani. They made a mistake of giving me a column during a December season. I doubt if they will repeat the mistake again :-)

rshankar

Kalyani Varadarajan

Post by rshankar »

I am starting this thread for this vAggEyakara we've become familiar with from Rajesh's review of Sri Suryaprakash's concert

Mods: Can you move the posts related to Smt. Kalyani Varadarajan from that thread to here?

I do have a questions: Are there recordings of her compositions that are available to listen to? After reading Lalita Ram's column, I certainly want to hear aparNA pAravti....

(Mod note: Moved the posts related to Kalyani Varadarajan here. Due to the chronological ordering this post is not at the top as the thread starter)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

parivadini wrote:When I wrote a column in Dinamalar couple of years back, I had featured Smt. Kalyani Varadarajan too.

Beautiful and succinctly written! Thank you for sharing...Who was (were) your source(s) for this article?

Pasupathy

Re: Smt. Kalyani Varadarajan

Post by Pasupathy »

Brings back memories.

S.Rajam, during his Toronto visit, sang Kalyani Varadharajan's ' Vani ...in Raga Revathi , at my request ...since my daughter's name is Vani and her birth-star is Revathi! ;-) I have not heard that song since then, and I have mentioned this to Vijayalakshmi Subramanyam, S.Rajam's disciple, who has learnt many KV songs from S.Rajam. She did not know it at that time....

Try to listen to S Kalyanaraman's " kani karumbuthO ' ( Bhavani) of KV.....

Suryaprakash

Post by Suryaprakash »

My greetings to all, just wish to share the information that I have sung and recorded a CD of the compositions of Smt.Kalyani Varadarajan which is slated to be released this year at the Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana. The compositions are scholarly, challenging in all respects and bring out the beauty of raga rasa and laya, Smt.Kalyani is certainly a divine Vaggeyakara of the highest merit and delving in the compositions was an experience for me to cherish.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Excellent! Congratulations, Suryaprakash! Indeed a very worthwhile servie to CM.

arasi

Post by arasi »

So happy to know about a vAggEyakara who was unknown to me until this day.

Happier to know that Suryaprakash has sung her compositions :) Where can we find the CD?

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

rshankar wrote:Thank you for sharing...Who was (were) your source(s) for this article?
rshankar: I met up with the Vaggeyakara's family in Delhi. Most of the information were from them. I have also discussed a couple of times about her with Shri. S,Rajam and Shri. TRS.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

parivadini wrote:rshankar: I met up with the Vaggeyakara's family in Delhi. Most of the information were from them. I have also discussed a couple of times about her with Shri. S,Rajam and Shri. TRS.
Thank you!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

They are beautiful!

rajeshnat

Kalyani Varadarajan

Post by rajeshnat »

LJi
Can we get the list of compositions of this uttama vageyakkara

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

abhISTa dAyini. rAgA: kIravANi. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
aparNA pArvatI: rAgA: naLinakAnti. rUpaka tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
arNava sutAm. rAgA: bEgaDA. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
bhajAmyaham bhuvanEshvarIm. rAgA: dharmavati. rUpaka tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
caNDikEshvarIm. rAgA: AbhOgi. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
cintayEham sindujAm. rAgA: AbhOgi. rUpaka tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
gAna kalA viduni. rAgA: kEdAragauLa. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
iSTa dEvatA. rAgA: bhUpALa. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
kanikarambutO. rAgA: bhavAni. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
mahA balavanta. rAgA: Arabhi. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
mAnidhi kAntaku. rAgA: kalyANi. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
mari mari harinAma. rAgA: hamIrkalyANi. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
nAmarasamAnavE. rAgA: kharaharapriyA. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
payOrAsi bAlE. rAgA: dvijAvanti. cApu tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
sampatpradE. rAgA: kalyANi. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
sangIta sArajna. rAgA: sAvEri. k/jhampa tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
sapta girIsham. rAgA: kAnaDA. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
sari evvarE shrI mAninI. rAgA: kOkilapriyA. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
shAnta durgA. rAgA: madhukauns. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
shrI tuLasi nItimati. rAgA: nItimati. rUpaka tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
shvEtAmbarIm. rAgA: vAcaspati. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
tOm tOm ena. rAgA: vasantA. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
vainatEya vAhanam. rAgA: mOhana. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
vANI vINApANI. rAgA: rEvati. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
vandEham shrI. rAgA: pUrvikalyANi. Adi tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan
varAkarOdbhavAn. rAgA: pUrvikalyANi. k/jhampa tALA. Kalyani Varadarajan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:Rajesh,

I will surely look out for teh Dwijavanthi.

I was completely floored by a Chandrakauns rendition of her composition by S.Rajam.
Lalitharam
Can you squeeze your memory and let me know the chandrakauns krithi. I am in eternal love with chandrakauns ragam. Unfortunately LJi has not listed the krithi

vilomachapu

Re: Kalyani Varadarajan

Post by vilomachapu »

This post has nothing to do with the composer. Just remembered one thing regarding Chandrakauns. Many years ago Seetha Subramaniam, a fine musician with a honey dewed voice sang a Chandrakauns song at the Krishna Gana Sabha. Her guru Semmangudi who was present spoke after the concert and said publicly, "Seetha is my disciple. But as far as this raga Chandrakauns is concerned, I have not heard it before. Now only I heard it. So, for Chandrakauns, Seetha is my guru." Lovely observation it was.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

rajeshnat wrote:
Lalitharam
Can you squeeze your memory and let me know the chandrakauns krithi. I am in eternal love with chandrakauns ragam. Unfortunately LJi has not listed the krithi
I have a recording of the song. I will share it with you. If my memory serves me right, the song goes like "Vana nidhi kanya..."

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:
I have a recording of the chandrakauns song of Kalyani varadarajan. I will share it with you. If my memory serves me right, the song goes like "Vana nidhi kanya..."
Thank you please do. So far we have four
1.aparna - nalinakanthi -TRS
2.payorasi- dwijavanthi - TRS
3. kani karumbuthO - bhavani - suryaprakash

4. kani karumbuthO - bhavani - skalyanaraman - which pasupathy sir heard but we lost

5.Vana nidhi kanya??? - chandrakowns - s rajam

I will upload 1 to 3.(all three gems after I search and will get it)
you upload 5.

Pasupathy Sir
The url songs are bit too short - it does give kalyani varadarajan swaroopam in full. Any way thank you sir.I am yet to hear all the songs in that link.I wish i was with you when s kalyanaraman sang the live bhavani :)

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Btw. Kani KarambuthO rendition of S.Rajam exists too. I can upload that too if anyone is interested.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yes please!

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Here's the link to S Kalyanaraman's Bhavani :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohi8jbo5kr9fw ... i.mp3?dl=0

Pl let me know if there's a problem.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

I am a new member to this forum. I am a disciple and daughter in law of Smt. KV. A CD on the compositions of KV sung by SRI Surya Prakash along with a book of 32 compositions are being released in Cleveland on the 26th March during the Cleveland Tyagaraja festival. CD and books are available there. We will be participating in the festival.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

The compositions of KV sung by R. Surya Prakash has come out very well. Excellant rendition of each kriti with dedication and Bhavam just as the composer would have thought about. We are waiting for the release on the 26th March in CLEVELAND. :)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

saroja raman
Thank you may I know when was Smt Kalyani varadarajan born and when she passed away. Also a little more about her early training . I am surprised that she studied very less. Was all her compositions tuned by herself. DId TRS , SKR and Srajam all play a part . Tell us a lot by writing a long post . My personal touchpoint with her was when I heard TRS singing Aparna and payOrASi in recordings and I had two live bhagyams one to hear when radha venkatachalam sang payOrAsi and recently when suryaprakash sang the kanikarumbutO in bhavAni.

Your MIL is a brilliant vageyakkara-who has bought in a lot of positivity and expanded the CM horizon.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

There few kritis sung by HYd. Bros. also like natakurinji ( nannubrochuba) and maanidhi (Kalyani ragam). I can share the recordings pl.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Rajeshnat

Born in 1926 and passed away In 2003. All the kritis have been tuned by her only. This I have witnessed myself. I understand she had early training with Papa Venkatarammaiah. Having born in a family of musician she had inclination to compose songs even in her early days of training. Her father was a Sanskrit scholar so it is passed on to her which she used in the kritis. HYd. Brothers and also sisters have sung many kritis of KV. We are in the process of propagating her songs, so that more people are benefited by it. For more details pl. see a news brief in worldmusiccentral.org .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sarojaraman wrote: For more details pl. see a news brief in worldmusiccentral.org .
Sarojaraman,
Thank you for this lovely article, i just searched that site and found this

http://worldmusiccentral.org/2016/03/20 ... e-century/

Apart from TRS,SKR, SRajam, Hyd brothers, Suryaprakash - I also see Madurai Somu has sung her krithis - balE balE. Can you squeeze your memory to let us know what krithi madurai somu has sung of your MIL.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Attn VRV - Vinod Venkataraman
There is violin and mumbai commonality between your mother and Kalyani varadarajan, Any inputs there?

Attn MKR SIr
YOu must have known KV , any recollections in your usually brilliant style ?

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

rajeshnat wrote:
sarojaraman wrote: For more details pl. see a news brief in worldmusiccentral.org .
Sarojaraman,
Thank you for this lovely article, i just searched that site and found this

http://worldmusiccentral.org/2016/03/20 ... e-century/

Apart from TRS,SKR, SRajam, Hyd brothers, Suryaprakash - I also see Madurai Somu has sung her krithis - balE balE. Can you squeeze your memory to let us know what krithi madurai somu has sung of your MIL.
Thanks for the link ! Yes, indeed I also would like to know about Madurai Somu!

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

I was informed that Somu used to sing a song beginning as SapthagirIsam . But it does not seem to be by Kalyani Varadarajan.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Madurai some sang Mayur vaahana in shanmukhapriya ragam a composition of KV.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

CD containing the compositions of Kalyani Varadarajan and a book of 32 kritis are available with us . Can mail it to the address you want me to send. It is now available in Cleveland till the end of their festival I.e. 3rd April.In the swathi stall. Also in Toronto on the 11th April during Mandrams festival. Also available during SIFA series during April.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Hyderabad bros sang 2 kriti in Natakurinji and Kalyani:
Ragam nattakurinji.
https://Youtu.be/jzVSv4kETjl
Ragam Kalyani
https://Youtu.be/kjGwLwWNh4Y
Tanjavur Kalyanaraman. - Bhavani
Https://Youtu.be/_f0MQl12eVM

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sarojaraman wrote:Hyderabad bros sang 2 kriti in Natakurinji and Kalyani:
Ragam nattakurinji.
https://Youtu.be/jzVSv4kETjl
Ragam Kalyani
https://Youtu.be/kjGwLwWNh4Y
Tanjavur Kalyanaraman. - Bhavani
Https://Youtu.be/_f0MQl12eVM
sarojaraman
THe nattaikurinji link gives the video not available
The kalyani krithi mAnidhi kAntaku is well done - looks your MIL has crafted a lot of swaraksharam in krithi.

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Try in you tube - HYd. Bros. - Kalyani varadarajan

rajeshnat

Kalyani Varadarajan

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadhini wrote: 5.Vana nidhi kanya??? - chandrakowns - s rajam
Lalitharam
I just heard one of the song that you mentioned vana nidhi kanyakAm . Suryaprakash has sung this in the cd in the ragam ManOranjani and not candrakowns. Lovely rendition . May be you are mistaken it as chandrakowns

Sarojaraman
Are there two songs vana nidhi kanyakAm one in manoranjani and one in chandrakowns. Do you recollect what srajam sang.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

googled to find bit more about manoranjani and I got this link of kalyani varadarajan cd release. kalyani varadarajan is the first Violinist from India to participate in the Cleveland Thyagaraja Festival way back in 1979
http://www.carnaticdarbar.com/news/201601/20160317.asp

sarojaraman

Post by sarojaraman »

Vananidhi kanyakAm is In Manoranjani. S.Rajam sang Vani veena paani in Revati raga.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Dear Rajesh,

The song I have heard was part of a live concert and Rajam sir makes an announcement and I believe Chandrakauns and Manoranjani are significantly different to get confused.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Btw. I have had this discussion with Smt. Saroja Raman on the same topic a few years back. Please find below excerpts from our conversation:
Saroja Raman <sarojaraman@gmail.com>
3/15/13

Thank you for the prompt reply. Regarding the training, performance of the composer i will let u know shortly.

Incidently, S. Rajam Sir was our good friend and stayed with us when he came for the concert in Delhi. I have heard the Bhavani kriti sung by him personally and the other song 'Vana nidhi' is in Manoranjani raga.
I will also send the photo of the composer alongwith other details
ok awating your feed back on this

Dear Saroja Ma'am,

I just checked my collections, The song in chandrakauns is also 'Vana nidhi kanya varam - vandEham Vasudevam'. He also announces that it is a composition of Kalyani Varadarajan.

Best Regards

Ram
Saroja Raman <sarojaraman@gmail.com>
3/15/13

sir
you r correct sir, Vana nidhi kanya varam is in the raga Chandrakons and Vana nidhi kanyakam is in the raga Manoranjani.

regards

saroja

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

lalitharam wrote:Vana nidhi kanya varam is in the raga Chandrakons and Vana nidhi kanyakam is in the raga Manoranjani.
lalitharam
The thorough person that you are , you will never make a mistake that too with srajam,thanks for the clarification.
I am still waiting for the chandrakowns upload of s rajam

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Pasupathy: vANI vINApANi can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bgffu72GA

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The following are additional kritis of Kalyani Varadarajan that are in the recently released book, at Cleveland Festival:
pAhimAm shrI (tv) - shubhapantuvarALi - Adi
rAjarAjEshvari (pv)- vAcaspati - Adi
shrI amrta phalAmbikE - cakravAka - cApu
kaNkaNDa deivam - bhUSAvaLi - Adi
shrI nArasimham - shahAnA - k/cApu
bhava kaDal - bhAnugIrvANi - Adi
kanucallaga - kanakAngi - Adi
kSamAdi guNa - lalitA - Adi
murugA vA - kAmbhOji - Adi
sAgarasutam - kalyANavasantA - Adi
vananidhi kanyakAm - manOranjani - Adi

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Lakshman wrote:Pasupathy: vANI vINApANi can be heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bgffu72GA
Thanks, Lakshman!

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

I got a couple of pics of teh composer from her grandson. Posted it i my blog along with the article I had written i 2014: https://carnaticmusicreview.wordpress.c ... radarajan/

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Many renditions of compositions by the composer herself are in this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRkX6 ... zlg/videos