G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
rajeshnat

#526 Re: G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Post by rajeshnat » 05 Apr 2019, 18:45

GNB in dhavalaroopa in anandabhairavi
------------------------------------
Tiruppugazh in hamsanandi is most famous atleast in the order of my familiarity. There are many thiruppugazhs sung more as a pushover for the clock to reach 08:57 to 08:59 pm in one of 4 dozen ragas ,so that at 08:59 pm all performing musicians can sing nee nama roopamulaku .

How does GNB sing in just 2 mins plus such an impactful thukkada. Who tuned this thirruppugazh in anandabhairavi by any chance did GNB do this, what a selection of raga no one thought about presenting this raga to thirruppugazh . What a joy to hear such a standalone anandabhairavi so different from so many many anandabhairavi , Take a bow to this great mahavidwan GNB, even his 2 mins is filled with intense classicism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXKmQEHuCZ4
0 x

ajaysimha

#527 Re: G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Post by ajaysimha » 22 Apr 2019, 19:17

rajeshnat wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 18:45
2 mins
from 2 mins to 42 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Tfl3vmgyI
what a RTP!!!! OMG
i can just imagine anandabhairavi as a raga-devatha!!
0 x

SrinathK

#528 Re: G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Post by SrinathK » 12 May 2019, 23:48

RTP in tODi - with TNK on violin and PMI on the mridangam : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96iLKbtnsnI&t=865s

Incredible AlApanA, the tAnam is out of the world and so are the rAgamAlikA swaras. What weight, what power, what manueverability! GNB managed to push TNK to another level in this performance as well.

Speaking of which, that's another quality about him that stands out - many others would be very happy to have the accompanists play a gear or two lower and not steal their limelight. GNB and MMI were the only 2 who freely encouraged the team to play their best and GNB somehow got them to find an extra 2 gears in their own playing. Of course, so vast was the extent of his own capability that no one could really outplay him, but GNB was rare in that he openly praised his team and was one who shared the renumeration equally without reservation.

There is another tODi with LGJ and PMI. I haven't found a way to compile and pitch correct the recording, but that IMHO is possibly the most out of this world attempt at this pallavi and tODi I've ever heard. Will definitely share, because it totally blew my mind when I heard it - GNB went full TNR treatment with LGJ turning that violin into a stringed nagaswaram.

GNB could sing all sorts of brighas - slow ones, taan like ones, heavy ones, nagaswara flowing ones, linear ones, non-linear ones, plain rocket ones, patterned ones, and even the uncontrolled go for broke ones. The thing I've observed after years of listening to him is his keen sense of gamaka control -- he often adjusted this according to the accompanists that he was accompanying - with Chowdiah he went for plainer, faster brighas, with TNK and MSG heavier ones, with Lalgudi very flowing ones. He could adjust the weight of his brigha as well as the kind of phrases he used to let his violinist sync better with him.

I've come to know a lot of new info on GNB lately. Will share as soon as I've checked it with the true GNB bhaktas.
0 x

Govindaswamy

#529 Re: G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Post by Govindaswamy » 13 May 2019, 10:57

The violinist's name is given as TNK. Is he not Mysore Chodiah
0 x

K Nagarajan

#530 Re: G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Post by K Nagarajan » 14 May 2019, 09:10

SrinathK, your review of the RTP in Thodi by GNB with TNK and PMI helped in appreciating the finer aspects of the music better.
What are the ragas used in singing the ragamalika swarams - sahAnA, sAvEri, sindhubhairavi, ranjani and kathanakuthukalam ?
0 x

SrinathK

#531 Re: G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Post by SrinathK » 01 Jun 2019, 21:33

Rasikas of CM, presenting to you the greatest tODi ever sung in my collections (yeah that recording I mentioned a couple of posts back) - the tODi of the titans!

https://soundcloud.com/user461654480/gn ... m-rtp-todi

There are some tracks that are great, some unbelievable, and then there's THIS.... - those brighas, those phrases, those replies by Lalgudi, the support by CSM in the pallavi and neraval (dear god, there is no way anyone can miss the landing with that kind of support!) and the unknown ghatam vidwan, everything about this RTP is in a totally other category - this is one for the gods.

If you find yourself wondering how someone can sing like that, and how anyone can literally play nAgaswaram on the violin, so am I. This is unreal. Totally blew my mind. I am still in a state of shock almost - so overwhelmed by the kind of virtuosity and imagination here. Even 3 days later, I still am on a high and those phrases are singing themselves in my ears!

Only one issue - the recording is a step sharp on the pitch. I couldn't fix that one.

EDIT : I was told that it was C S Murugabhoopathy on the mrdangam. So fixed that. Incredible stuff, he is literally the perfect compliment to GNB's style, almost mind reads what he's going to sing next.
0 x

SrinathK

#532 Re: G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Post by SrinathK » 04 Jun 2019, 21:44

K Nagarajan wrote:
14 May 2019, 09:10
SrinathK, your review of the RTP in Thodi by GNB with TNK and PMI helped in appreciating the finer aspects of the music better.
What are the ragas used in singing the ragamalika swarams - sahAnA, sAvEri, sindhubhairavi, ranjani and kathanakuthukalam ?
You missed one - the set of rAgAs were sahAnA, sAvEri, behAg, ranjani and kathanakutuhalam (that is a rare find -- makes this the only recording that shows that he sang and improvised this rAgA as well).
0 x

SrinathK

#533 Re: G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Post by SrinathK » 04 Jun 2019, 21:57

The untold story of GNB and Oothukadu Venkata Kavi (some of the latest very interesting info I got from my circles):

Not many people know that GNB was one of the pioneers in bringing out OVK's compositions to the world. I got this tidbit of info from Balakrishnan mama and Rajashekar mama and my friend Vishnu Vijayaraghavan.

https://www.facebook.com/balummi/posts/2165548060181420 -- "...Sharing a posting of Mahesh Bhuvaneswaran, G , grandson of GNB. Actually, when Swarna Venkatesa Dikshitar, approached my brother to popularise OOTHUKADU’s compositons , he set to tune 2 compositions, one of which is the song in Reetigowlai, which he intended to sing in Music Academy in mid 1950s. . Some how or other, he did not sing this song, but he taught his disciples, TRB, MLV and S. Kalyanaraman, who have rendered this beautiful song. BRINDAVANA NILAYE in several concerts.. Unfortunately, I am not able to recollect the other song.,.."

A long and interesting article (someone translate it for non-tamizh readers) by GNB on OVK : https://www.facebook.com/Gienbee/posts/ ... 0480684262
0 x