Ashok R Madhav

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Has anyone heard of this composer? He seems to have composed in all the 72 mELa rAgAs and also composes in several languages. Any audio anywhere for hearing?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Sri Ashok Madhav resides in Pittsburgh, USA. A list of his compositions is available at http://www.carnaticcorner.com/articles/ ... itions.htm

See also http://www.karnatik.com/co1114.shtml

I am not sure where you can get recordings of the krithis.

He has also written a number of articles on music which I have provided on my web page www.carnaticcorner.com in the Reference Library section

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Thank you for the info, mohan. It's interesting the brief bio on karnatik mentiones many big names in the circuit who have rendered the songs yet none have appeared in audio. Though, the books are available widely.
Last edited by kmrasika on 20 Jun 2007, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

kmrasika: Did you get the emails I sent you?

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Lakshman Sir: I did and I replied to you. Thank you and sorry for the delay.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Review of CD of Sri Ashok Madhav's compositions as sung by Sikkil Gurucharan: http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/07/06/stor ... 180500.htm

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I wish someone would listen to this CD and let us know what is 'light' about it...is it fluff, or just another example of a sweeping generalization of a half-baked reviewer?

sankaranvish

Post by sankaranvish »

During the December music seson of 2007-08, Ashok Madhav's 72 melakarta compositions were released as an album of CDs in mp3 format in Chennai.
N.Murali,President of the Music Academy did the honors and Dr.P.Gurumurthy,HOD,Music Dept, Univ.of Madras received the first copy

Smt.MSSheela of Bangalore who has rendered all the 72 melakarta kritis on the album gave a fine performance of selected kritis form the album. Many senior musicians and rasikas atteneded the program.

The Hindu carried a write-up of the release of the album.

The CD album is available in Chennai and Bangalore

mohan

Post by mohan »

sankaranvish

Post by sankaranvish »

See the Friday July 18,08 review of Ashok Madhav's 72 melakarta album. It has been rendered by MSSheela.

sankaranvish

Post by sankaranvish »

The Hindu review Friday, 7-18-08 gives a glimpse of Dr.Ashok Madhav's 72 Melakartha kritis rendered by MSSheela.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ashok Madhav,
After all these months of waiting since we saw you (when rasikAs gathered to meet Lakshman), we have news about your CD!
Congratulations! Looking forward to listening to it. Sung by MS Sheela too!
Is it possible at all to hear at least a song or two on the forum?

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

I have this album with me. Great collection indeed.
It's a commercial CD, so I don't think the music can be uploaded.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I got to listen to the double CD which contains all the 72 melakartha compositions of Sri Ashok. The songs are recorded in mp3 format. The compositions are in various languages like Sanskrit, Telugu, Tamil and Kannada. There are many songs on Devi and the quality of the compositions and the renditions is excellent.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

rshankar wrote:I wish someone would listen to this CD and let us know what is 'light' about it...is it fluff, or just another example of a sweeping generalization of a half-baked reviewer?
I just read this thread today. Ravi, I think that 'light' reference applies to the thukkada songs and not to the rest of the CD. The reviewer seems to express his appreciation for how well Gurucharan handled those lighter songs. A strange way of stating it, at first, I also got the same impression as you did.

ushanjali

Re: Ashok R Madhav

Post by ushanjali »

Namaste,
Is there any way of getting in touch Shri Ashok Madhav ji? Either through Rasikas or through his email?
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Regards

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

arasi

Post by arasi »

Please do look in the General Discussions thread where our Ashok Madhav's newly released CD is mentioned. He composes mainly in Sanskrit, and in many rare rAgAs. I am awed bythis, of course. Happened to hear a madhyamAvathi song which I liked a lot. Hoping to hear more...

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Great collection of AM compositions, sung by vidwan Vighnesh Ishwar:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUao ... -iD3enteyx