Madurai Krishaswamy

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
rajeshnat

Madurai Krishaswamy

Post by rajeshnat »

Madurai Krishnaswamy has penned few compoistions particularly popularized by Maharajapuram santhanam
nalinakanthimmathim -ragamaliga
Thalattu en - neelambari
His son Bodbi wrote as follows

#5 Re: Tarattu padum enthan madura ghanam kettu
Unread post by bobdi » 28 Jul 2018 15:35

Nalinakanthimathim was composed (lyrics) by Shri V. Krishnaswamy (my father) who worked in TVS & Sons. He was not a government employee. This song has been sung by Shri Maharajapuram Santhanam in several concerts in India and abroad.

Thalattu (Tharattu) Padum enthan - was also composed by my father and sung by Shri. Santhanam

rajeshnat

Re: Madurai Krishaswamy

Post by rajeshnat »

Bobdi
If you want to write bit more about your father please do write . I am assuming he wrote far more krithis than the above two. Are there other singers who have sung your dad's compositions.

I would also like to know as to how your dad tuned the nalinakanthi was that lot of trail and error with maestro santhanam. Also your father's year of birth and also any association with other musicians . Please do take your time and write everything musical about him.

Welcome to your forum.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

nalinakanthimathim sung by santhanam - you can trace the vishranthi of santhnam that got added from early 70's till 1992 . Here is one rendition of the brilliant number of Madurai krishnaswamy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPinPXjHalc

nalinakAntImatim. rAgamAlikA. Adi tALA. Composer: Madurai T.Krishnasvami

P: nalinakAntImatim namAmyaham sadA

A: sundara bhairavi suhAsini mandahAsa vadana sukumAri

C1: sugandha puSpAlankrta sundari vasantabhairavi sukumAri kEdAra nAtha priyankari

2: sAmagAnapriya shyAmaLEshvari samAna rahita sAvitri sOmashEkhara priya sAvEri kOmaLAngi
nIrajAkSi nirmalAkAri nitya hamsanAdOllAsini Ashrta bhadra kannAvara atishaya shrI lalitAmbikA

3: shankarAbharaNa shakti sakala shAstrArcita cAmuNDEshvari shankari
sankaTa hAriNi pankajAkSi parama pAvani sAramati
unnata umayAmbikA ubhaya lOka rakSaki bAgEshvari
nArAyaNi shAradA dEvi AdhAra nAyaki nara surArcita Anandabhairavi
saha sakalavalli caturbhuja nAyaki vANI sarasvati
kaliyuga varapradAyini hamsadhvani bhUshita niranjani

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thalattu pAdum -neelambari - madurai krishnaswamy again by maharajapurams lion and cub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN5saH2 ... N5saH2pZYM
Last edited by rajeshnat on 28 Jul 2018, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rajesh: both links are for naLinakAntimatim

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rshankar wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 20:21 Rajesh: both links are for naLinakAntimatim
Gave the right link now in post #4.

bobdi

Post by bobdi »

My father, late Shri V. Krishnaswamy, had composed several carnatic krithis. He and Shri Maharajapuram Santhanam had long lasting friendship. I do fondly recollect, from during my school days, my father's passion for carnatic music and his efforts in composing songs.
Thanks to Shri Maharajapuram Santhanam sir's keen interest and efforts, couple of these songs, Nalinakanthimathim and Thalattu (on Guruvayoorappan) reached global audience including US.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Bobdi
Apart form the popular two Nalinakanthimathim and Thalattu that santhanam took up, are there other songs of his taken by other musicians .
Also may I know bit more about your father born , how old is he now?? Who were his gurus , tell all that you know about your father and his music.

bobdi

Post by bobdi »

My father is no more. He composed several carnatic songs. Nalinakanthimathim and Thalattu (tharattu in Malayalam) were sung by Shri Maharajapuram Santhanam in several concerts. My father composed these songs amidst his busy career with TVS & Sons and post retirement. He developed a very keen interest and liking to carnatic music in his childhood inheriting from my grandmother and her siblings