Illayaraja

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
rajeshnat

#1 Illayaraja

Post by rajeshnat » 18 Oct 2018, 18:31

Where can we place this isaignani illayaraja something much more than vidwan and vidushi but let me take him as vaggeyakkara as after sadguru Thyagaraja , dikshitar and there is illayaraja. I feel like writing all that i know for pages and pages as I have followed, talked and discussed right from as early as my age 7 to 10 when I just knew about him(that is early 80's) to slow and steady accumulation of missed and refreshed past thru YouTube. Of course there are million like me who can do the same.

See the love for music and he paying obesiance to navarathri,particularly he advising the one and only super star prodigy mandolin srinivas in 1980 , just read this lovely writeup of him in The Hindu dated Oct 18th,2018.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/ch ... 253337.ece

Being navarathri and saraswati pooja today let us just start with one of his 8000 to 10000 wonders appropriate for Devi .

Janani Janaani - yamunakalyani :) - from the film Thai Mookambigai
God of Music sung this song in his own voice, penned by vaali(of koovi azhaithal - valaci fame :) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJJIt8j ... JJIt8jh1Uc
0 x

CRama

#2 Re: Illayaraja

Post by CRama » 18 Oct 2018, 21:35

Rajesh, I have sent you some of the photos of the concert held in Ilayarajas' house through whatsapp. Pl see.
0 x

rajeshnat

#3 Re: Illayaraja

Post by rajeshnat » 18 Oct 2018, 22:11

God Of Music just entering rasikas.org on Navarathri -2018. Warm welcome isaignani
0 x

rshankar

#4 Re: Illayaraja

Post by rshankar » 18 Oct 2018, 22:23

rajeshnat wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 18:31
Where can we place this isaignani illayaraja something much more than vidwan and vidushi but let me take him as vaggeyakkara as after sadguru Thyagaraja , dikshitar and there is illayaraja.
I am going to let that pass, but when you look at the definition of the word vAggEyakAra - it means someone who wrote the lyrics and set them to music themselves. Has Sri Ilayaraja done that? I know he has set lyrics to immortal tunes, but has he written the lyrics and set them to music?
1 x

rajeshnat

#5 Re: Illayaraja

Post by rajeshnat » 19 Oct 2018, 21:37

rshankar wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 22:23
rajeshnat wrote:
Where can we place this isaignani illayaraja something much more than vidwan and vidushi but let me take him as vaggeyakkara as after sadguru Thyagaraja , dikshitar and there is illayaraja.
I am going to let that pass, but when you look at the definition of the word vAggEyakAra - it means someone who wrote the lyrics and set them to music themselves. Has Sri Ilayaraja done that? I know he has set lyrics to immortal tunes, but has he written the lyrics and set them to music?
Ravi
1. In early days for the first 5 to 7 years 1976 to 1982 timeframe quite a few numbers were written by him and reused for films for many years later.

2. Post 2000 many movies he was a lyricist , but the truth of the matter his tunes were not that catchy as in 76 to 94.

3. Check the song samayal paadame ,(hear the whole tune you have a ragamaliga from kalyani to vasantha )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os6vPMZlGu0

4. On a devotional album by name gitanjali he wrote a lovely song kamakshi karunavilasini,atleast this number has the possibility of he writing lyrics first and then tuning later exactly answering your query as an investigative journalist if you ever get the kicking drift. :lol:
https://gaana.com/song/kamakshi-karuna-vilasini-4
This kamakshi karuna number with lyrics is brilliant and is very divine. I am pretty sure you love more than me with ur extra focus for lyrics

5.By the way the so called pureplay vaggeyakkaras like GKB,Papanasam Sivan, Trinities(T SS and MD)etc did not have to worry about musical interludes. Only two dimensions lyrics and melody possibly with ofcourse bhakthi. But Illayaraja had to worry atleast few more dimensions like orchestration , interludes ,humming , visual situation.

6.When I talked with Madurai Gold Standard Mani (Madurai GS mani) in our rasikas meet at nageswaran house when TRS maama was there, he was mentioning chumma illa pA music director unlike vaggeyakkaras he said just imagine KV mahadevan, illayaraja from just words in a paper, he even gave an example of a song from that first set of words they create music.

Enjoy your navarathri with atleast kamakshi karuna vilasini
0 x

CRama

#6 Re: Illayaraja

Post by CRama » 20 Oct 2018, 16:11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHVVbXy ... HVVbXyevuM

Another samayal song from Unnal Mudiyum thampi. Music Ilayaraja. many common usages between both the songs- iin lyrics and ragams too- Kalyani, Vasantha . Both hilarious songs.
Last edited by CRama on 20 Oct 2018, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CRama

#7 Re: Illayaraja

Post by CRama » 20 Oct 2018, 16:17

Kamakshi karuna vilasini- Thanks for giving the link. Never knew about this song. Good. However, I will rate Ilayaraja the singer much below Ilayaraja- the composer - remembering a few songs that he has sung in films that I have heard.
0 x

CRama

#8 Re: Illayaraja

Post by CRama » 20 Oct 2018, 16:20

Rajesh, Surprised with your usage of GOLD STANDARD for Madurai G.S.Mani. :D
0 x

rajeshnat

#9 Re: Illayaraja

Post by rajeshnat » 20 Oct 2018, 16:32

Crama
Is there a photograph that you took with illayaraja sir. hope you are not modest in not passing that to me.
Illayaraja the singer is indeed not as great as singers SPB(another God of Music for me) or KJY. On kAmakshi karuna vilasini raga check ganeshkant and narayanan , that guy narayanan was once active in creating crossword then went out of forum , illaryaraja is a perennial creator. He was at minimum excellent or at maximum outstanding.

viewtopic.php?t=9832
0 x

rajeshnat

#10 Re: Illayaraja

Post by rajeshnat » 20 Oct 2018, 16:38

All
In general if you have time just go into youtube search Madhura Sudha (ID) whose name is Tesla Ganesh. He is extraordinary in taking ragas ,backgrounds of illayaraja songs, thamizh marabu isai influence of raja sir, he keeps it with a dash of carnatic aarohana and avarohana raga explanation and then goes into different songs . Tesla ganesh also hears carnatic music , i dont know him yet but one friend of mine outside of forum knows him a lot and I think our lalitharam knows him too.

This person Tesla Ganesh has segmented each raga like keeravani, Suddhadhanyasi and atleast 20 + ragas here. See his contribution on his extraordinary contextual explanation without getting carried away to the next topic.

To start with Illayaraja and keeravani are inseperable .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOOeCLF5tP8
0 x

CRama

#11 Re: Illayaraja

Post by CRama » 22 Oct 2018, 21:30

rajesh, I never took a photo with Ilayaraja. There was a big rush for photos and I did notpush myself. IN fact the group photo of Ilayaraja with all artistes and Sivaramakrishnan is taken by me.
0 x

sagar

#12 Re: Illayaraja

Post by sagar » 28 Oct 2018, 20:01

Dear Sir

Appreciate if you can send me the lyrics and notations for Janani janani in english ? my email ID is [email protected]

Thanks
0 x

rajeshnat

#13 Re: Illayaraja

Post by rajeshnat » 10 Nov 2018, 07:24

rshankar wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 22:23
Has Sri Ilayaraja done that? I know he has set lyrics to immortal tunes, but has he written the lyrics and set them to music?
rajeshnat wrote:
3. Check the song samayal paadame ,(hear the whole tune you have a ragamaliga from kalyani to vasantha )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os6vPMZlGu0

4. On a devotional album by name gitanjali he wrote a lovely song kamakshi karunavilasini,atleast this number has the possibility of he writing lyrics first and then tuning later exactly answering your query as an investigative journalist if you ever get the kicking drift. :lol:
https://gaana.com/song/kamakshi-karuna-vilasini-4
This kamakshi karuna number with lyrics is brilliant and is very divine. I am pretty sure you love more than me with ur extra focus for lyrics
Ravi
It just stuck me just today that illayaraja has written lovely lyrics and also composed a great song from the film idhayakovil. The song Idhayam oru kovil has two versions , one sung by illayraja and another by SPB, i love the later.

Personally those years 1985 /1986 was very special and this movie is one of a kind with all songs being great, i think it is the second movie of manirathnam-illayaraja in thamizh, more bigger hits are coming bit later after this

Here is the lyrics wirtten by illayaraja of that great song .It may pass muster with your liking of lyrics
http://www.tamilpaa.com/1253-idhayam-or ... ngs-lyrics

AND
Here is the song sung by another God of Music Sripathy PandithArthyula Balasubrahmanyam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAD7FTo8JA

See in this song there is a line where illayaraja has written the absolute truth, if I was musician i will take this line and sing as a neraval.
RAma nAmam meethilE nAda thyagarAjarum ... avar paadalil jeeevan athuvE avarAnAr
0 x

rajeshnat

#14 Re: Illayaraja

Post by rajeshnat » 25 Nov 2018, 07:06

Personally having spent in the land of Tamilnadu knowing lot of tamil songs of illayaraja and few very popular telugu overlaps like sagarasangamam,about 2 or 3 years back i and few of my US friends are exchanging few private chats of illayaraja in songs other than thamizh. One of my friend was talking about sopanasangeetham and the other was just talking about ashtapadi after they read my recent writeup of vidushi vasundhara concert. One very knowledgable friend who is outside India just casually asked me if I have heard the song aalOlam peelikavadi in the malayalam film aalOlam that got released in 1982. He said the tune is sopanasangeetham and that knowledable friend connected to ashtapadi.

O gosh then hunted to hear this lovely tune of raja sir . KJ yesudas sings this song with kavalam sreekumar singing the ashtapadi , the tune is in the evening breeze raga malayamArutham and incidentally raja sir ends with the ashtapadi priyE chArusheelE in mukhari. I also searched youtube and just found out the song , it is a title song of the movie , Damn it how many great tunes of illayaraja gets wasted as title song , that way it never found a way to doordarshan tv. Raja sir was in phenomenal form in 1982, I was hearing and seeing the thamizh movie payanangal mudivathalai then with no awareness of this song.Now after how many years 36 years I just got to know aalOlam.

Check from 46th second this song aalOlam peelikava with the anchor of malayamarutham and end of mukhari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVCgmrQ42AY

Or

Just hear only the audio song without film visuals in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4AE-oNbG54
0 x

rajeshnat

#15 Re: Illayaraja

Post by rajeshnat » 20 May 2019, 11:14

The joy of not knowing something that old but just realizing O Gosh I know it now, that happens with illayaraja:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Folks who are born in the era of 1960 to say mid 1980s especially in the land of south india were very lucky . Illayaraja was at his musical peak . While my school friends ,college friends and very few relatives are still in the process of hunting and hearing what are all the 1 to 5 percent that we missed of Isaignani Illayaraja Sir having exclusively grown in Madras. This is a process of hunting that is on for atleast 1 to 3 decades . I am contributing bit less , more than me one of my dear school friend is contributing from US .

Here is one that i discovered just few days back through my friend . Illayaraja sir composed this song in 1982. The movie stars are known they are prathap pothan,sarath babu and radhika . But hey why would we all care who is acting in an illayaraja movie . I am only stating that possibly because of the fairly low profile of actors,we all did not know this movie E... V.... Kavi....al which was a commercially unsuccessful movie. In the era of say late 1977 to 1983, illayaraja influence of western is just way too much. My conjecture is he having gone to Dhanraj Master to learn western music would have created and gave these gems with superb layering of melody, harmonics and orchestration. My conjecture is his learning from Dhanraj Master must have gone hand in hand with his creations having intense western harmonics and orchestration.

Observe his layering of extraordinary music which i will just try to say in poor words
-------------------------------------------------------------------
#sa# The rhythm is itself done by the bass guitar . How did he do that see how much music gets focussed with this approach. For a very minimal part there is rhythm rest mostly guitar is the rhythm. Has anyone understood ever bass guitar as much as illayaraja sir

#ri# All guitars are exceptional especially lead guitar . Raja is a genius in playing guitar . I dont think he is playing this piece is my assumption . His team of great guitarists are leading all the way with possibly a tinge of mouth organ (may be) and Keyboard surgical strikes here and there.

#ga# The interludes of violin and flute are omnipresent .You will hear as it strikes your heart at every point. Flute and violin interludes of illayaraja we need another 100 years to explain that

#ma# The first charanam interlude and then a younger yesudas starts with Yey illa manathE isai Paadum sugangaL , the eduppu with the fade of orchestration is just heavenly.

#pa# The second charanam interlude is a guitar coup with violin giving tough fight . Every illayaraja interlude he asks a question and also answers right away.

#da# Quite a lot of songs in the late 70-early 80 era , raja sir has used the whistle phew a lot .In this he just ends magically with a whistle phew.

#ni# Orchestration is just aiding as laya pitha .Pitha is soft and is in the background .The shruthi mAtha ragA with melody is bit stronger and is in the foreground . See the melody mAtha taking forward with little more slight power by yesudas as the charanam progresses with some heavy western touch. Nowadays Lots of carnatic concerts raga matha is in the mercy of laya pitha . Todays film music laya pitha is completely annihilating shruthi raga melody mAtha. But Raja sir gives a balanced and rightful juxtapose .

#sA# One of my friends who is a north indian babu loves illayaraja . He has been taking slowly few steps and understanding and he is slowly assimilating raja sir and slowly he is saying that i am actually right. He usually always cribs that illayaraja is too much south regional and he is not much into north indian or western . I asked him to hear this twice and he is extremely impressed with the guitar .You will hear no south indian touch .The lyrics is in tamil written by Gangai Amaran .Tamil is just not a south indian language but an universal language :oops: can be debated . You cannot debate that isaiTamil is also a western musical :) language as beautiful and simple as English.

#again sA# One of my other friends who is from the land of mammooty and mohanlal whose mother tongue is malayalam . He says hey this song is a malayalam typecast song . He says I feel I am with my grandparents in the hills near thekkady which is his home town. After all i can understand that panniapuram and thekkady are just stones :arrow: throw distance.

Enough of suspense .This is what each of you have to do listen twice preferably just before you sleep at 11pm or when you are yawning at 11AM .

The song lyrics is superb. The song charanam is
kanavil mithakkum ithayam muzhudum
pudhu rAgam uruvaagum thiNam dhOrum
yennathiN inbathilE yeNgengum vaNNangalE

This song is sung by Yesudas ,lyrics by gangai amaran , music by illayaraja in the movie Eera Vizhi Kaaviyangal released in 1982.

The joy of me not knowing this song even though I knew illayaraja many many songs close to 4 plus decades is what I am sharing in words . I am assuming atleast 99% of you donot know yet this song and you are all like me . I hope you will have the same feel of discovering this song of illayaraja and the joy you get as you click and listen to the below link.

http://bit.ly/2VBIlzp
0 x