Mysore Vasudevacharya

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Did you hear jaya jaya mAdhava rendered by someone?

jaya jaya durgE. rAgA: Ahiri/kAmbhOji. cApu/aTa tALA.

P: jaya jaya durgE jitavairi vargE viyada nilAdi vicitra sargE
C1: sundaratara caraNAravindE sukha paripAlita lOka brndE
nanda sunandAdi yOgi vandyE nArAyaNa sOdari parAnandE
2: sarasa maNi nUpura sangata pAdE samadhi gatAkhila sAngavEdE
nara kinnara vara sura bahu gItE nanda sutE nikhilAnanda bharitE
3: kanaka paTAvrta ghana taraja ghanE kalyANadAyini kamanIya vadanE
inakOTi sankAsha divyAbharaNE iSTa janAbhISTa dAna nipuNE
4: anudayalaya saccidAnanda latikE AlOla maNimaya tATanka dhanikE
nAnA rUpAdi kArya sAdhanikE nArAyaNa tIrtha bhAvita phalakE

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Is there an audio of this song available?

Thanks.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

The song "srimadAdi thyAgaraja" in Kalyani is such an lovely snaskrit composition, having Madhyama Kala sahithyam following the Dikshitar Style.
Srirangam Gopalaratnam has sung this with a lovely Chittaswara.Coolji had U?L this recording in unrecognised vidwans/108 legends site.

Can anyone help to give this ChTaswaram ??
Thanks in advance.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have the ciTTasvara but in telugu script. I can scan it and email it to you if you want.

swaralaya

Post by swaralaya »

Thanks so much for the lyrics
As regards jaya jaya mAdhava, I heard it through World space radio, I believe it was by Malladi brothers
Also, I am looking for a (new) Adi Taala varnam in Kalyani, begins as 'Sarasija...", not sure of the composer...
Any help would be great!

Thanks again!

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Lakshman wrote:I have the ciTTasvara but in telugu script. I can scan it and email it to you if you want.
Pl scan & send it across.
Telugu/Kannada have almost same script.

Dear Lakshmanji, It was really nice seeing your snaps in Chennai get together, which I really missed.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

palukavadEmira in DevamanOhari was popularised by the great MMI.Now a days this is not much heard.
He also sings with a chiTswara for this song. Pl do provide if U have. Thanks in advance

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

ciTTasvarA for palukavadEmirA:

ri ma pa ma ri sa rI ; ma pa ni dha nI ; sa* ni dha ni sA* ; sa ri ma pa nI
; sa* ri* ma* ma* ri* sa* ni dha ni sA* , ri* sa* ni dha ni sA* , ni dha ni pa ma pA , ma ri sa ri mA

ciTTasvarA for shrImadAdi:

sa* ri* ni ri* ni pa dha ni dha ma pa ma ga ri ga ma ni dha dhA ;
ma ga ri *ni *dhA ri ga ma ni dhA ni dha ma ga ma dha ga* ri* ni dha ni ri*
dha ga* ri* ni rI* dha ri* ni ma dhA ma ga ri ma* ga* ri* ni ri* dha gA* ri*
sa* ni dha ri* , sa* ni dha pa dha ni sa* ri* ma pa dha ni sa* ri* ga* ma pa dha ni

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

U must have spent some amount of time in converting in to English.

THank U very much. It will be helpful to other rasikas too.

By the by, I have the second volume of Sri Vasudeva Kirtana Manjari and found out that I had Both Lyrics with Notation as well as ChiTaswaram for "srimadAdi tYagarAja guruvaram". I feel musicians can sing this song in Thiruvaiyaru- during Aradhana Celebration although it's apractise to sing only Thyagaraja Songs.

Thanks for ChiTaswaram of palukavadEmira.

Lakshmnaji- I have one more request:
I want the Lyrics & Notation for the Dharmavathi Song- "bhajana sEya rAda"
In Dharmavathi, this is one of the nice & popular song. "paramdHamavathi" of MD is also equally popular.
U can please scan the Telugu version and U/L.

I also need the chiTaswaram for the Annamacharya Song " sarvOpAyamula jagathinAkithade(Kalyani) " popularised by Smt MSS.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 24 May 2008, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

ciTTasvara for sarvOpAyamula:

n,nrndmdndmgrsrgmrgmdgmdnmdnrgrgg grndmgrggmmdgmd,
mdnrgrgmgrndmdnrndmgrgmdmgrn/srgmpdnssndpmgrsrgmpdnrrnrgmdnrgr

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Thank U so very much.
This song is sung in Two Thalams by MSS, is it not ??

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

vs_manjunath wrote:
I want the Lyrics & Notation for the Dharmavathi Song- "bhajana sEya rAda"
It is on page 216 in vol ii of Vasudevachar's kritis.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

The book I have is the ORIGINAL BOOK "Sri Vasudeva Keertana Manjari (telugu)" published by Acharya in 1956. This book does n't have the Dharmavathi song which was requested. It's possible that Acharya's grandchildren might have published the book ........U have referred.
Hence my request stand for the Dharmavathi song.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

vs_manjunath:
I made a mistake. The song is in the first volume published in 1929. I will scan it and email it to you.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

I have received the mail with Attachments.Thank you U very much.

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Is that book still available or any ways of copying ? Thanks a lot.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The two volumes, in telugu, have been out of print for many years. I managed to get xerox copies some time ago. In addition there is also his navartnamalika, a separate booklet, published by Kalaksetra.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

sriucl wrote:Is that book still available or any ways of copying ? Thanks a lot.
I think copies of the second volume of kIrtana manjari by the composer is available at the Karnatic Music Book Center in Chennai. The first has gone out of print for quite some time now.
Last edited by kmrasika on 17 Jun 2008, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Thank you, Lakshman ji and Kmrasika...will check out when I am in Madras next time...

gangar

Post by gangar »

is the varna sreekumara sodhram on lord ganesa raga latangi by mvcharya hv learnt it but not sure of the composer

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is by Gaurishankar Sthapati.

gangar

Post by gangar »

Lakshman wrote:It is by Gaurishankar Sthapati.
thanku more about him pls ...
sri lakshmanji

shruti

Post by shruti »

Recently DVK Murthy / Mysore has published a new and comprehensive work of Mysore Vasudevacharya as compiled by his grand son Mr. Krsihna Murthy.

beginner

Post by beginner »

Have anyone got lyrics of MV's kriti in Kokilapriya (11th MK) ' NeekabhimAnamuledA' ? That is a rare and good kriti and had heard long time back in Bihar !!!
Last edited by beginner on 20 Jun 2008, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

nIkabhimAnamu. rAgA: kOkilapriyA. c/tripuTa tALA.

P: nIkabhimAnamu lEdA rAmA nApai nIraja nEtra nIrada nibhagAtra
A: O kamalAsanAdivinuta caraNa lOka rakSaka vAsudEva krpAkara
C: bhUmijA mAnasAmbOruha bhAskara nI mahimalunEnEmani pogaDudu
kAmitArtta phaladana dhUriNa prEmatO brOcE samayamidEgada

srinivasasarma

Post by srinivasasarma »

Dear friends
If anyone of you have the kriti
"Palukavathe emira - devamanohari - mysore shri Vasudevachar"
pls upload the same in this in mp3 format - so that i can download
the same.
Thanks in advance
s.srinivasa sarma

vinsim

Post by vinsim »

srinivasasarma wrote:Dear friends
If anyone of you have the kriti
"Palukavathe emira - devamanohari - mysore shri Vasudevachar"
pls upload the same in this in mp3 format - so that i can download
the same.
Thanks in advance
s.srinivasa sarma
Check out this amazing concert by MSS...you will Palukavathe and many other gems...esp Mamavathusri

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/manjunat ... cert-1965/

Lakshman

Re: Mysore Vasudevacharya

Post by Lakshman »

palukavadEmira is available at sangeethapriya.org - by MSS and Madurai Mani Iyer.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

An article in HIndu dated 28th May is quite interesting.
www.hindu.com/fr/2010/05/28/.../2010052851130400.htm

Thanjavooran 28 05 10

mohan

Post by mohan »

Who were the prominent disciples of Mysore Vasudevacharya?

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Mohan,
I am happy to answer your question!

Over the years Sri. Acharya had directly trained many vidvAns and indirectly influenced a generation of vidvAns in Mysore who matured into eminence.

My GrandFather Bhairavi Lakshminaranappa (1878-1934) was the first disciple of Sri. Acharya when he returned to Mysore in 1895 after training under Sri. Patnam. Lakshminaranappa was a vaiNika and a vocalist as well (initially trained by his Father Veene Krishnappa and uncle Seenappa, both Asthana Vidvans in the Mysore Palace. After their demise, young Lakshinaranappa trained under Veene Sheshanna and Mysore Vasudevacharya). In his memoir nenapugaLu and the other book nA kanDa kalAvidaru, Acharya has written about some performances where my GrandFather accompanied him.

My Father Veene Raja Rao (1909-1979), a vaiNika and a gAyaka, was highly influenced by Sri. Acharya and spent significant time with Acharya during the 1920s and 1930s, and accompanied him in many vocal concerts. In 1934, Raja Rao, as a vocalist, was sponsored on a three month concert tour of Tamil Nadu, to promote Vasudevacharya's compositions (I have a fascinating flier from a concert in Vellore from this tour). My Father was present with Sri. Acharya when he composed srimadAdi tyAgarAja guruvaram in kalyANi and it is interesting to read my Father's notes where he has captured the occasion where this kRti was composed. Sri. Acharya has also written in one of his books about the occasion where he composed this kRti.

When I met with Sri. S Krishnamurthy, Vausdevacharya's grandson in Bangalore recently, he reminisced about the times he had witnessed my GrandFather and Father and many other Shishyas who spent time with his tAta.

Veene Shivaramaiah (whose Father Veene Padmanabhaiah was Vasudevacharya's Guru) is credited with preserving notations for many compositions of his Guru Vasudevachacharya. Yelanduru Rangacharya, N Chennakeshaviah, B K Padmanabha Rao, Pasupati (from Madras) were other disciples. Of course, Sri. Jayachama Raja Odeyar was also a disciple of Sri. Acharya.

Sreeni Rajarao
Last edited by Sreeni Rajarao on 29 May 2010, 15:39, edited 3 times in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I think H.Yoganamasimham also was a disciple of Vasudevachar.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Yes, I missed Sr. H Yoganarasimham.

It is significant to note that many of Vasudevacharya's shishyas also evolved into vAggEyakAras.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks for the info Sreeni-ji

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

One of my favourites!

rA rA rAjIva lOcana in mOhana rAga, Adi tALa

http://www.archive.org/details/RaRaRaji ... Kinhal2009

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

sruthi

Post by sruthi »

Interesting documentary on Mysore Vasudevacharya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VijICZhX2f0

His 50th death anniversary falls today (17th May 2011).

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

sruthi-Thanks for this clipping. Enjoyed every bit of the video. Apart from the mentioned compositions of MV in the video, i would love to add "bhajana sEya rAdha(Dharmavathi)" popularised by Nedunuri; a song in Saraswathi Manohari on PurandaradAsa- " sri purandara guru varam" and a song on Saint Thyagaraja in Kalyani( sung by Srirangam Gopalarathnam )are quite interesting !!! MMI popularised the dEva manohari song " palukava dEmi ra, rAma " with an interesting C.swara.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

sruthi wrote:Interesting documentary on Mysore Vasudevacharya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VijICZhX2f0

His 50th death anniversary falls today (17th May 2011).
Small correction - there is an error in the documentary - while refering to Veene Sheshanna, the portrait shown is that of Veene Subbanna.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

E SWARA MSS 172 Smt MS Subulakshmi-Theme Concert compositions of Mysore Vasudevachariar ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2fj30TrA4E

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

"7Tributes to Mysore VASUDEVACHAR (May 28, 1865 – May 17, 1961) Indian Musician and Composer of Carnatic Music Compositions who belonged to the Direct Line of Thyagaraja's disciples, on his Death Anniversary today. Vasudevachar's compositions (numbering over 200) were mostly in Telugu and Sanskrit. Some of his most popular kritis include Broche varevaru ra in Kamas raga, Devadideva in Sunadavinodini, Mamavatu Sri Saraswati in Hindolam, Bhajare Re Manasa in Abheri and Ra Ra Rajeevalochana Rama in Mohanam.
He is credited with two writings in Kannada, one of them an autobiography called Nenapugalu (memories) and Na Kanda Kalavidaru (the musicians I have met) in which he wrote the biographies of many well known musicians. Mysore Vasudevachar also taught in Rukmini Devi's Kalakshetra, (founded in 1936). He was already quite old by then, but thanks to Rukmini Devi he agreed to shift to Kalakshetra. He became the chief musician in Kalakshetra and helped in setting the Ramayana to music. He died in 1961 at the age of 96. He lived a simple and austere life devoted to the study of Sanskrit and music.
Vasudevachar was born in an orthodox Madhva Brahmin family in Mysore and started learning music from Veena Padmanabhiah, the chief musician of the Mysore court. He also mastered Sanskrit and allied fields such as Kavya, Vyakarana, Nataka, Alankaram, Tarka, Itihasa, Purana having studied at the Maharaja Sanskrit college in Mysore while learning music privately.
He then went on to learn from the famous composer-musician Patnam Subramania Iyer supported by the Maharaja's generous stipend and imbibed the music of not only his Guru but also other great maestros of the Thanjavur-Cauvery delta. Vasudevachar eventually became the chief court musician(Asthana Vidwan) at the Mysore court. He was known for his madhyama-kala tanam singing which he learnt from his Guru. Patnam Subramania Iyer often requested his sishya "Vasu" to help him with the sahitya (lyric) aspects of his compositions. This aspect of his training undoubtedly helped Vasudevachar as a composer. He was adept in all the aspects of Carnatic music especially Raga Alapana,Thanam,Pallavi, Niraval, and Kalpana swaram.
He published a large number of his compositions in the book Vasudeva Kirtana Manjari. His compositions in Telugu have such sweetness and lilt, and beautifully blend with the tune of the raga as do the Sanskrit compositions, which are mellifluous. His songs reflect his mastery of Sanskrit and show his erudition and scholarship in Sanskrit literature. He considered his insight into Telugu as a gift from Thyagaraja (Thyagaraja's bhiksha). Unlike the Dasa kuta songs, his compositions don't have any Dvaita undertones but many have the words "Paramapurusha Vasudeva" or "Vasudeva" which means the supreme Vasudeva/Lord Vishnu which incidentally is also his mudra or signature.
True to his Vaishnava heritage and the Thyagaraja shishya parampara to which he belonged, most of his compositions are in praise of Lord Rama. In addition to Kritis and Keertanas, he also composed Varnams, Thillanas, Javalis and slokas. His admiration for the trinity of Carnatic music specially Thyagaraja resulted in Srimadadi Thyagaraja Guruvaram in Kalyani, Shri Ramachandra (a ragamalika) and two other ragamalikas in praise of Muthuswami Dikshitar and Shyama Sastri. Vasudevachar's compositions are thus like sugar candy which gives one instant pleasure and yet lingers on in the mind and heart long after."

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Possibly this transliteration to English will bring more compositions to limelight.Check below link.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 905213.ece

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Some songs of Mysore Vasudevachar ( 1956 - Sudesamithran - in Tamil )
724. சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 120
மைசூர் வாசுதேவாச்சார் கீர்த்தனைகள் - 1
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2017/05/724-120.html

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Coming close on the heels of a fiery rendition in Dallas by Abhishek : varalakshmi namOstutE of Mysore V - where I noted a grand syncopated entry in caraNam (right on his mudra vAsudEva) by Patri with caturaSra triSram - this is even more inspiring - from tweets of TMK.

https://churumuri.blog/2017/09/17/mysor ... years-ago/

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Does anyone have a copy of Vasudeva Kirthana Manjari the edition with English notations? Than ks.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Pratyaksham Bala: I already have a copy of the book -bought it last year. But I noticed that a couple of pages are missing. I wanted to find out if someone else had the book so that I can get the missing pages.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Oh!
In the first link for Hard Cover, under ‘sample pages’, the following kritis are shown:-

Evarunnarura
Kalaye Mama Hrudaye
Ninne Nammitinayya
Nimishamaina Shrirama

Hope you are looking for at least one of these!