Purandara Dasa

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

25th January, 2009 is Pushya amavasye - Purandara Dasa Aradhane.

Here is an article (in English) I wrote for the February issue of 'Guru Sarvabhouma', a monthly published by Sri Raghavendra Matha.Mantralaya ( www.srsmutt.org) - Wanted to share this with other rasikas on this day.

A Day to Remember: http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2009/01 ... -remember/

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

ramakriya wrote:If you can read Kannada, and are interested in traditional stories being retold in a new light, you might find the following interesting :-)

tambUri mITidava.. bhavAbdi dATidava... : http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/

P.S: This story was selected to be published in an anthology of short stories (a literary souvenir) at the Kannada conference being held in Chicago Rosemont Convention center, starting today [August 29- September 2] :)

PPS: If you can (or, sort of manage to) understand Kannada, but can not read the script - I suggest you to use our good Arun's transliterating engine to convert it to your favorite script. In fact at least one Rasika member has done it so already successfully. :) :)

-Ramakriya
Finally, I managed to post a translation of my Kannada story - a few days after Purandara Dasa Aradhane.

Rasikas, Please read on! I appreciate your feedback:

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2009/01 ... emapura-2/

-Ramakriya

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Ramakriya: Truly a labor of love! many thanks.. Incidentally, I happened to read that Annamacharya had met with Purandara dasa -I think Dr. Pappu Venugopala Rao mentions it in "Flowers at His feet". Would you happen to know if there is corroborating evidence in any of Purandara vitthala's compositions? Please do let me know as and when possible. Thanks

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Nandagopal:

Thanks! Glad you liked it.
Incidentally, I happened to read that Annamacharya had met with Purandara dasa -I think Dr. Pappu Venugopala Rao mentions it in "Flowers at His feet".
For a video clipping of the incident you mention (from the movie Sri Purandaradaasaru - where you see Annamayya is seen singing the geete in malahari -padumanAbhA paramapurusha) ) click on the following link:

http://sampada.net/blog/sunil-jayapraka ... 2008/11479

In the notes below that post you can see my comments about this meeting ( I hope you read Kannada - If not I can translate those comments)

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 29 Jan 2009, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

vasya10

Post by vasya10 »

ramakriya:

I really liked the very informative posts of Purandara Dasa. Pls continue to post more.

Recently I had been to Mallur (aka Doddamalur) near Bangalore. The idol is of "Crawling Krishna". The temple is very serene and beautiful, though its right on the Mysore highway. The agraharams around the temple too me back to like 100 years, so beautiful.

Later I learnt that this is where Purandara Dasa composed the famous "Jagadoddharana". No wonder it inspired him to compose such a beautiful song.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thank you Vasya10. Your wish is granted :) Here is one more!

Restaurants of 15th century, described by Purandara Dasa - an article on this portal which was published today-

Lord Balaji and Udupi Hotels: http://thatskannada.oneindia.in/column/ ... hotel.html

The article is in Kannada. May be, one day I can post an English translation, but I will be even more glad if another Rasika here does it for the benefit of those who do not read Kannada.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 31 Jan 2009, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramakriya,

A very imaginatively written story (thanks for the translation)! Thank you for sharing. Interesting to learn about abhinava purandara viTTala - was new to me! Then, the gItam, padumanAbha must be his, right? So, it makes the episode of Sri annamayyA singing that gItam as shown in the movie clip you posted could not have been correct...

I will have to wait for the translation of the new one to appreciate the restaurants described by the pitAmaha... :(

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

rshankar wrote:Ramakriya,

A very imaginatively written story (thanks for the translation)! Thank you for sharing. Interesting to learn about abhinava purandara viTTala - was new to me! Then, the gItam, padumanAbha must be his, right? So, it makes the episode of Sri annamayyA singing that gItam as shown in the movie clip you posted could not have been correct...

I will have to wait for the translation of the new one to appreciate the restaurants described by the pitAmaha... :(

rshankar,

That was indeed part of my comment to that video thread - I will post what I wrote here later in the day.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 01 Feb 2009, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

rshankar,

Here is a translation of the comment I had posted in that thread with the video of Purandara & Annamayya meeting at Tirupati.

=========================================================================================

The incident shown in that video clip where Annamayya and Purandara Dasa meet in Balaji's sannidhi is based on an anecdote mentioned by Tallapakam Chinnayya ( a composer from Annamayya's lineage).

Based on available information, Annamayya lived between 1408 AD - 1503 AD. Purandara Dasa lived beween 1484 AD - 1565 AD. So, if Purandara Dasa met Annamayya, he must have been still a teenager. Popular tradition places Purandara becoming a haridAsa in his middle age (when he had four children). So this incident is debatable. Some scholars have the opinion that it might have been Annamayya's son Pedda Tirumalayya whom Purandara met in Tirupati.

Prof R Satyanarayana is of the opinion that the pillari geete Padumanabha is a composition of Purandara's son who had his signature Was Abhinava purandara vithala. Even though I have not read that particular article, I can definitely go by the opinion of a scholar like Prof R S

PS: This was also a reason for me making Abhinava ( among the three sons of Srinivasa Nayaka) as the most inclined towards music in the short story that I posted here :)

-Ramakriya

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks for the translation, Ramakriya!

Very lucid reasoning!

I will wait for the translation of the restaurants described by the dAsaSrEshTa (Sri Purandara Daasru).

Ravi

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Good article rAmakriyA.

BTW, have you heard of the mutilation (done by a musician of 20th century) of an annamAchAryA kRti in the name of dAsaSrESTar?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

ksrimech, rshankar, I have translated that article into English, and it lives here:

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2009/02 ... staurants/

-ramakriya

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

LOL! Hilarious!! Thanks for the translation...and the information.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Thanks rAmakriyA. Again nice article.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

After Udupi restaurants, can vegetables and spices be left behind?

Green Chillies, Red Chillies and Purandara Dasa: http://tinyurl.com/cyfyeh

p.s: The post is in Kannada

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 25 Feb 2009, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

Dr J Subbiah

Post by Dr J Subbiah »

Dear Mr Lakshman

I would be grateful if you could give the lyrics of 'AbhimAnavEke' and 'AcAravillada' of Purandara Dasa

Jay

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Please post your requests in the Sahitya & Identification section. Also request only one song per post. Thanks.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

More than 1200 compositions of Purandara Dasa are online in Haridasa Sampada!

Please read on the following blog post about this project:

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2009/04 ... -in-april/

My sincere thanks to Sri Lakshman who has been a source of inspiration and an indirect contributor to this project.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 07 Apr 2009, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

15th January 2010 is Pushya Bahula Amavasye , Purandara Dasa Aradhane

I'm really glad to share a link for the audio recording of a speech I made several years ago (about Dasa literature):

http://neelanjana.wordpress.com/2010/01 ... hane-2009/

(I do not remember if I have posted this here earlier - but there are always new Rasikas here who might find it useful!)

-Ramakriya

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Ramakriya,
Thanks for the reminder!

I will be thinking of Purandara Dasaru.
Coincidentally, my grandfather Bhairavi Lakshminaranappa (1878-1934) also breathed his last on the day of Purandara Dasara Aradhane.

S.Govindaswamy

Post by S.Govindaswamy »

In number of biographies of Saint TyAgarAjA it is mentioned that he had no direct descendents.
I had met a purOhitulu, SrI. Pasupati, at Madurai, who informed me that he is related to the descendents of saint TyAgarAjA. The information he gave is as below.
tyAgarAjA married pArvati @ sItAlaksmamma who died without any issues. He married her younger sister kanakAmba @ kamalamma, who begot a daughter who was named as sItamma. She married kuppuswami of kounDiNya gOtram. They had a son who was named as tyAgarAjan. He married guruvamma. They had a son subrahmanya jOsier, whose son was sundaramayyar, whose wife was lalitAmbAL. They had four sons, natarAjan, rAmamUrti, subrahmanya ayyar and tyAgarAja ayyar.
He also informed me that the vigrahams which were worshipped by tyAgarAja are with one of his relatives at tanjAvUr.

In an article in The New Indian Express jyoti raghurAm mentioned that the present caretaker of the house in which tyAgarAja was born, at tiruvArUr is tyAgarAja sarma. Probably he is the last mentioned one.

Govindaswamy

Chinmayee

Re: Purandara Dasa

Post by Chinmayee »

meaning of "neene anaada bando kaarunya sindho" in toodi raagam n aadi taalam written by Purandara dasar .it had been sung by MLV.plzzzz help me.............

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

I am having 65 songs of Purandaradasa in my folder with Mediafire at the following link:

Purandaradasa compositions:
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/blce584276ynz

venkatakailasam

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

I have heard MLV sing 'neene anAtha bandhu' in naadanaamakriya.

The meaning of the song goes like this:(roughly)
You are the friend of orphans (who need help), full of compassion.
(With reference to Gajendra moksham) when the crocodile was pulling the leg of gajendra even a fleet of elephants couldn't provide timely help; but with just one cry for help to the lord madhusudhana,he appeared, happily to help his devotee.
Even the presence of all 5 husbands was of no help when Dushasana was bent upon humiliating Draupadi by pulling out her saree at the court; but her prayer to mukunda was immediately answered by granting her yards and yards of saree, which tired Dushasana ultimately and helped Draupadi protect her self respect.
The Lord in Ramavataram gave mukti to Ahalya by mere touching of her stone form, he favoured Bali chakravarthy by granting him the position of 'Indra' in Vamanavatara.
So the Lord favours his devotees very easily through simple means.
Harini.

Chinmayee

Post by Chinmayee »

meaning of NEENE ANAADHA BANDHO KARUNYA SINDHO of Purandaradasa plz................

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Chimayee the meaning of the song Neene AnAtha Bandhu' is already ther, just the post above your request. Pl check. ^^^
Harini.

Chinmayee

Post by Chinmayee »

did PD write any kritis on lord Vinayaka other tham SREE GANA NAADHA n GAJAVADANA VEEDUVE? and can i have the word to word meaning of NEENE ANAADHA BANDO plzzz???

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

other songs on vinayaka:

sharaNu siddhi vinAyakA-nATa
vandisuvadAdiyali-nATa
sharaNu benakanE-bilahari

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Shouldn't it be gajavadana bEDuvE?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

similarly-shrI gaNanAtha and nInE anAtha bandhO.

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

It is SharaNu benakane, Sri Lakshman sir. Benaka means ganesha. And neene anAtha bandhu is not a song on Ganesha. Gajavadana bEduve is correct.
Harini.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks harini.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

It is sharaNu janakanE - that it how vasantakumari has sung it, as is how lalitangi has printed it in her book.

Courtesy - Lakshman-ji's post elsewhere - mildly edited

sharaNu janakanE. rAgA: bilahari. Adi tALA.

P: sharaNu janakana kanaka rUpanE kAmini-shanka-dUranE

A: sharaNu sAmbana prIti putranE sharaNu janarigE mitranE

C: mUshikAsana shESa bhUSaNa ashESha vighna vinAyaka
dAsa purandara viTTalEshana Isha guNagaLa pogaLuvE

And it is beDuvE not bEduvE

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Keerthi,

I would think it is bEDuve or bEDuvE.

You are saying "And it is beDuvE not bEduvE"

Could you please clarify why you are saying it is beDuvE?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

re: janakana or benakana, I would check other kannaDa sources. Just because MLV has sung it as janakane doesn't make it right.
Another example: MSS has sung kiyO bahAr nIr instead of kiyO bAhar nIr in the song hari tum harO. I was told by many north Indians that bAhar is the correct word here.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lakshman wrote:Another example: MSS has sung kiyO bahAr nIr instead of kiyO bAhar nIr in the song hari tum harO.
Lji - I can say with absolute certainty that Smt. MSS does indeed sing it as bAhar nIr and not as bahAr nIr. bAhar (out of) nIr (the water) - is the right phrase. bahAr nIr would be water and the gentle spring breeze (bahAr) - meaningless in this context. There are precious few musicians whose pronunciation I have little or no doubts about (and by that I mean attention to 'b'/'bh', 'k'/'kh' and so on), and Smt. MSS is atop that list.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

rshankar: I distinctly remember listening to an early recording of hers where she sings it the way I mentioned. Maybe in later renderings she had corrected the word. I will try and locate the clip.

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Both Prof. S.K. Ramachandra Rao and Aralu Malige Parthasarathy who are authorities on Purandara Sahitya have put it as saraNu Benakane And even though I don't remember the artists' names I have heard some of the karnataka artists sing it as Benakane. And benaka definitely means ganapathi.
One more person who is an authority on the works of purandaradasa and the trinity, who is inspired by the works of Dr.L.Rajarao is Vidwan C.K. Sankara Narayanarao and he writes it as 'benakane', i n his book 'Sri Purandaradasara Krithigalu'. I can always check with Dr.R.K.Srikantan. I will be meeting him shortly.
Harini.

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

I feel we should go by what the kannada people say in this matter. Tamil artists have the weakness of pronouncing the kannada words wrongly at gtimes.
Harini.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Sreeni Rajarao wrote:Keerthi,

I would think it is bEDuve or bEDuvE.

You are saying "And it is beDuvE not bEduvE"

Could you please clarify why you are saying it is beDuvE?
I am terribly embarrassed. To think that there is a correction in my correction of a correction. Srini Sir.. All I can do is use the eloquent smiley :$

I stand corrected, in this matter.

Lakshman sir, and Smt. Harini,

Given that the haridAsa literature has subsisted in the oral tradition for a very long time before it was recorded in manuscripts, there are bound to be pAThantara-s, that vary. Given the equivalent appropriateness [ouchitya] of both janakanE and benakane in this song, I don't see how

a) it is an issue

b) How any scholar, even one as erudite as Shri S.K.R.Rao, could have categorically have endorsed one over the other.

b.5) I disagree on the point that we must let kannada 'people' decide what is right. I would suggest we must let the scholars suggest what is most likely to be right, using the methods of textual criticism, and critical compilation.

A kannada layperson is as likely to get poetry or lyric wrong as a tamizh speaker. And a scholar too, cannot categorically prove that version a or b is the most authentic. He or she can only point towards the most likely version.

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Dear Ms.Keerthi, this was not meant to be an issue, nor is it for arguement or debate. Its all agreed that Haridasa sahitya has come down to us through oral tradition. But when we come accross some doubts, we all refer to what has been documented by our seniors who would have come to some conclusion regarding certain matters after much research. More over when I say kannada people, it is kannada learned people and not lay persons and that too, I said so, because, many non-kannada artists fail to pronounce kannada wordscorrectly,( ofcourse some of them are modest enough to correct the sahityam when ever pointed out).
No hard feelings. :lol:

Harini.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

hariniraghavan wrote:Dear Ms.Keerthi, this was not meant to be an issue, nor is it for arguement or debate. Its all agreed that Haridasa sahitya has come down to us through oral tradition. But when we come accross some doubts, we all refer to what has been documented by our seniors who would have come to some conclusion regarding certain matters after much research. More over when I say kannada people, it is kannada learned people and not lay persons and that too, I said so, because, many non-kannada artists fail to pronounce kannada wordscorrectly,( ofcourse some of them are modest enough to correct the sahityam when ever pointed out).
No hard feelings. :lol:

Harini.
Smt. Harini,
This is going to need a lot of smiley faces (but I don't use them)!

Naresh Keerthi is a fine young man and a scholar!

Sreeni

mankuthimma

Post by mankuthimma »

Hi !! Miss Keerthi :P
Sreeni .. you beat me to it :P

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Very sorry Sri Nareshji. I have 2 lady friends by name Keerthi. Also I do respect your scholarship.
Regards,
Harini.

Chinmayee

Post by Chinmayee »

Smt.Harini ,of course i know that NEENE is not a song on Vinayaka.....i just wanted the word to word meaning of it.... sry if i was wrong...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Chinmayee - Can you please post your requests in the Sahitya forum - with a new topic for each one of them?
Last edited by rshankar on 27 Sep 2010, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Chinmayee I will post the word by word meaning of Neene anAtha....... in a while. If somebody else does it by then, fine.
Harini.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Its perfectly alright, smt. harini..
Thanks for your appreciation of my non existent scholarship.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Please listen to Purandaradasa compositions by various artists in my blog saieswara at
http://e-swari.blogspot.com/

at the following link:
http://e-swari.blogspot.com/2011/04/son ... adasa.html

75 songs have been posted so far for listening.

venkatakailasam

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

venkatakailasam:
Thanks a lot!