Oothukkadu Venkata Kavi (OVK)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I have never come across tATankamukha used to mean Siva. "kamalamukha" , "candra mukha" is fine. But tATankamukha? :?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Corrected version

Eka danta vinAyakam bhajAmI aniSam |
mAnasa ISa priyakara caturam guru guha vinutam aniSam ||P||

nAgaratna maNi kuNDalAlankRtam |
nava vyAkaraNa panDitAdi pUjitam |
yAga yOga japa tapa dhyAnAdi kArya vara prasiddham |
sakala lOka pAlakam sangIta SAstra rAga tALa bhAvapradam sadAnanda kalitam ||AP||

mAtanga mukha candra bimba vadanam |
mahA tripura sundarI nandanam |
tATanka mukha bhakta manOratha
abhISTa vara pradAyakam sundaram |
nAga lOlam nirAmaya ghOSham |
naLina vilOcana ravi kOTi prakASam l
vEda nigama sakalAgama sannuta vitaraNa guNa SIlam bAlam |
vEda vEdAnta mOdaka chaturam vyAsa vinuta mahanIyam vAram vAram vAram ||C||

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I should have checked SrI krishNagAnam, the books that have OVKs compositions first:
The word in question is not tATanka, but I think it is Atanka...

I will let DRS/CML/Rajani help us figure out what that means...

Another change is in the madhyamakAlam of the caraNam: it is
vEda nigama sakalAgama sannuta vitaraNa guNa SIlam bAlam|
vEda vEdAnta bOdhaka chaturam vyAsa vinuta mahanIyam vAram vAram vAram ||C||

bOdhaka = Intrsuct(or)ing...

Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

vEdAnta bOdhaka makes so much more sense and is a relief. As for Atankamukha, perhaps the composer wanted to say "those bhakts with fear/uncertainity writ large on their face(bhayabhIta)"

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

DRS, makes sense....better sense than tATanka mukha aka Siva....
:cheesy:

Although not definitive, finding the composition in a publication with other well known OVK compositions does strengthen the case of this being a genuine OVK creation....

The book lists the tALam as khanDa tripuTa.....

Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

DRS

I was equating with thEvAram 'thODuDaya cheviyan..'. But now the meaning fits better.
Ata^Nka also means disease or sickness!

arasi

Post by arasi »

cml,
maganum thODuDaiyOn allavE
thandaiyum thAnE
viDai ERiyOnum
vinAvukku viDai InduviTTAn,
avan magan thuNaiyODumE

Interesting discussion. Fit for lots of abhinaya, Ravi... ;)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
As I understand it from my mom and others, for years, OVK's compositions were considered to be somewhat tarnished because a few of them were used in bharatanATyam, and as everyone knows, that whole cuppa tea was considered 'infradig'. It is only of late that OVKs scholarship and extreme versatility has been recognized.
Since he was in communion with a lord who danced eternally in front of him while he composed, the songs have a natural cadence to them - the words and phrases trip, skip, mince, sashay, and pirouette in such effortless elegance that it is no surprise that dancers are drawn to these compositions: they also provide opportunities for beautiful abhinaya - both sthAyI and sanchArI....

Ravi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena,
Next composition to be taken up will be:
kalyANarAmA....

Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

Shankar thanks

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

vandE tATa^Nka bhUShaNA! (shankar in case you are wondering):)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Before we take up kalyANarAma, I just wanted to make an observation about the characterization of gaNapatI's face:
In this composition, Sri OVK says:
mAtanga mukha candra bimba vadanam
mahA tripura sundarI nandanam...

I guess the allusion could be: 'how could the son of the most beautiful woman (in the 3 worlds) not be handsome?'

In his gambhIranATTai kritI (srI vighnarAjam bhajEham) OVK refers to him as 'danti sundara mukham' ...and MD refers to him as 'mArakOTi prakAsham'. For me it used to be a bit of an oxymoron to say that an elephant face was handsome - but over time, somehow it seems to make sense...

Ravi

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Meena,
Here is my attempt...I have worked with only the first 2 caraNas...the third is unfamiliar to me, and I want to check something first before trying to understand what it means...

kalyANarAma. raga: hamsanaadam. taLa: adi ??
P:
kalyANarAma raghurAma rAma kanaka makuTa marakata maNi lOla hAra dasharatha bAla sItA
A:
mallikAdi sugandhamaya nava mAlikAdi shObhitagaLEna ullAsa parishIlana cAmara ubhaya pArshvEna kuNDala kElana
C1:
Agata suravara munigaNa sajjana agaNita janakana ghOSita mangaLa rAghava raghurAma rAma janakajA ramaNa manOhara sItA
C2:
gautama vashISTa nArada tumburu kAshyapAdi munigaNa vara pUjita aupavAhya skanda dEsha alankrta haima simhAsanasthita sItA
C3:
bhAgadEya bahumAna sudhAya ubhatArpita dishi dishi rakSakavara mEgha vAhanaravAhanAdhinuta EkarAja mahArAja mamarAja

P:
kalyANa = (having a)beautiful/illustrious/noble/generous/auspicious form â€" taken with the last word of the pallavI, it probably refers to rAma as a bridegroom (kalyANakOlam) here.
rAma = Lord rAmA
raghurAma = that lord of raghukula
rAma = rAmA
kanaka = golden
makuTa = crown
marakata = emerald
maNi = pearls/gem stones â€" could also symbolize other ornaments/adornments
lOla = dangling
hAra = garlands/ (maNi hAra = pearl necklace)
dasharatha = dasharatha, the king of ayOdhyA
bAla = son of
sItA = sItA (daughter of janakA â€" jAnakI, princess of mythilA â€" mythilI, daughter of the earth â€" adrijA)

Oh! Illustrious/noble rAma, son of the mighty dasharatha, you appear before me wearing a golden crown studded with emeralds and other gems, with pearl necklaces and garlands (dindu mAlai) dangling gracefully from your neck, as sItA’s bridegroom. (OVK could also have ‘seen’ the divine couple together â€" referred to as the ‘trilOkyagrihadampatI’ - in front of him as bride and groom (var-vadhU)

A:
mallikAdi = jasmine and other
sugandhamaya = fragrant
nava mAlikAdi = fresh and new garlands
shObhita = splendidly adorned/embellished, beautiful
gaLEna = neck
ullAsa = happy/brilliant
parishIlana = application of
cAmara = fan (made of plumes?)
ubhaya pArshvEna = both sides
kuNDala = ear ornaments
khElana = moving to and fro

The poet goes on to describe the vision in front of his eyes: rAma is adorned and embellished by garlands made from fresh and fragrant flowers, with dangling ear-rings gracefully moving to and fro, and is constantly fanned from either side.

C1:
Agata = (has) come
suravara = the best of the gods
munigaNa = the sages
sajjana = (sat + jan) = virtuous/respectable people
agaNita = countless/numerous
janagaNa = group of people (paTTALam?)
ghOSita = tumultuous cries (of)
mangaLa = auspicious/ portending good omen
rAghava = descendant of the raghu
raghurAma = rAmA of the raghu dynasty
rAma = rAma
janakajA ramaNa = groom/husband of janaka’s daughter
manOhara = with a pleasing form that captures/steals our minds
sItA = sItA

OVK goes on to say that rAmA who has stolen his heart (reminds me of tulsidAs who says â€" mErO man hAr liyO jAnakI ramaNvA â€" the poets say that they did not lose their hearts, but that their hearts were stolen â€" chitchOr â€" a very endearing way to express their complete surrender), the one who has delighted the heart of sItA â€" (janakajA (hrit) ramaNA), has appeared to him surrounded by a horde of sages, virtuous men, and numerous others who auspiciously proclaim him/herald his arrival as an illustrious descendant of the raghu dynasty.

C2:
gautama = gautama (the sage) â€" husband of ahalyA, father of janaka’s guru/purOhit shatAnanda
vashISTa = vasishta, the preceptor of dashartha
nArada = the divine vaiNika whose vINa is the melodious mahatI â€" considered to be the father of music…and purandara dasa is considered to be his incarnation.
tumburu = a muni/gandharva (?)
kAshyapAdi = kAshyapa and other
munigaNa = sages
vara = enclosed by
pUjita = prayed to
auDavAhya = (these) five performed
skanda dEsha alankrta = no idea
haima = golden
simhAsana = throne
sthita = established
sItA = sItA

Now, in OVK’s imagination, rAmA has been enthroned on a golden throne, and is prayed to by the 5 munis (gautama, tumburu, vasishTa, nAradA, and kAshyapa) who surround him.

CML/DRS/Rajani and other resident pundits: please correct/augment as needed.
I was hoping for more discussions on possible meanings/interprettation - after all, these compositions do have a prominent place in many (bharatanATyam/kucupiDi) mArgams - so, they will help with sanchArIs...

As an unconnected aside, hamsanAdam is an ironic name for a mellifluos rAgam - a swan's cry/sound is rather hoarse, and completely unmelodic...like the cry of the peacock which is raccuous rather than euphonious...(maybe these animals are like Goscinny and Uderzo's Bard Cacofonix from the village of indomitable Gauls!).

Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

aupavAhya skanda dEsha
aupavAhya is the royal carriage/elephant . In this case it is decorated on its shoulder side (skanda dEsha alankrta

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I have these questions in my mind about OVK..

1) Is there any evidence or anecdotes to show that one or more of the trinities knew of OVK krithis?

2) Were the tunes passed on down through the shishya parampara or they were set by later musicians?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

There was 'no' shiShya parampara!

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Meena, Thanks for the sangeetham.com tip...

I just checked... most of the threads are still there in Google cache.

The search string for google is:
Oothukkadu Talk site:sangeetham.com
and then for each item, click on Cached..

I have so far read only a few threads from the cache. It looks like the lyrics and the music are passed on down through the generations of family members.

It is not clear to me, for the new compositions that are found by Ravikiran, if the ragas and swara notations are mentioned or not.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

VK,
As I understand it, nIDamangalam krishNamUrty bhAgavatar was the one who propagated OVK's songs. NKB claimed that OVK had set all of his compositions to music himself...and that this was in the family for generations, and they used it in their harikathAs...
Ravi

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I just want to confirm whether the sanskrit name of UtukkADu is dhEnusvAsapura or is dhEnuShvAsapura? The composer mentions it in his poem, kALinga nartana prabhAvam.

ifcm_rfi

Post by ifcm_rfi »

Hello,

Here is a lovely one on Goddess Saraswati, in Kalyani, set in vilamba kalam in Adi talam, Tishra gati, has lovely swaraksharas and striking raga sancaras. It also has several lines starting before the beat, which adds to its beauty.

The IFCM is getting some of these masterpieces translated by experts like Dr P P Narayanaswami, Dr Vidyasankar Sundaresan, Dr Madhavan and Smt Choodamani but we would like other interpretation and thoughts from readers here.

Music lovers can also log on to groups.yahoo.com/group/ovkmusic and share your ideas there. The site also enables you to download notations, lyrics and/or meanings of some songs like his Saptaratnas, Navavaranams etc.

Bhargavi
==================

kalyANi Adi (Tishra gati)

Pallavi: sarasijabhava jAyE saraswati namostutE

sarvadA sadA padAravindam bhajAmyaham

A.P: paramudAkaram dEhi (dEvi) paripAhi

parAdi bhArati sowvidAyini sanAtani

Charanam: sharadindumukhi sumukhi

AanalambAvaramita cathurmukha

sanandanAdi samstuta vibhavE

kara vara dhrita vINA sahitE SujanahitE

kAmita phaladE Amita phaladE

kalpalatE sulabhE

Pallavi: Oh Goddess Saraswati, queen of the Lotus-born Brahma! I bow down to You & always meditate upon Your lotus-feet.

A.P: Oh Supreme & Eternal Goddess of speech, Bhaarati! Please protect me and bestow upon me That Supreme Bliss, longed for by one & all.

Charanam: Your beautiful face, comparable to the autumnal moon, has even the Four-faced Brahma longing for. You are worshipped by the likes of Sanandana; you are holding the Veena in Your hands; you are easily accessible; you bestow unlimited auspiciousness and are like the celestial wish-tree.

ifcm_rfi

Post by ifcm_rfi »

kmrasika wrote:I just want to confirm whether the sanskrit name of UtukkADu is dhEnusvAsapura or is dhEnuShvAsapura? The composer mentions it in his poem, kALinga nartana prabhAvam.
It is dhEnuShvAsapura. This is one of his many shlOkas on various dieties. Did you notice that OVK has mentioned many gamakams like andOlam, DAlu, sphuritam, kampitam in the 7th stanza?

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

ifcm_rfi: Thank you for confirming the name of the village. The krithi on saraswati is definitely rare. Could you post an audio clip (non-copyrighted) of the song, if available?

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

OVK's Navaavarna Krithis
I happened to listen to these krithis at Sri Kamakshi Temple at kanchipuram and liked them immensely. I was told these are called kAmAkshi navAvarnams. Visit this link for lyrics:
http://sridhar107.tripod.com/

Would like to know if any recordings are available...
Last edited by humdinger on 03 Oct 2006, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

ifcm_rfi

Post by ifcm_rfi »

Humdinger,

For OVK's Kamakshi navavaranam, there is an excellent book by S. Sankaranarayanan, published through Sangeet Natak Academy and TTD. The book contains explanation of each avarana, text in Sanskrit and English and meanings in English.

The book has a commendation by Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer and his first sentence is striking - 'sangIta mummanigalODu samamAna iDam peTruLLa vAggeyakArar...'

T.S.Parthasarathy, in his Foreword, says 'The discovery of teh musical compositions of OVK, Annamacharya and Swati Tirunal during the 20th century made a major impact on South Indian music as thousands of musical forms of an amazing variety and range saw the light of the day for the first time. In fact, Carnatic music started flowing along new channels and there was a welcome expansion of its scope. Among these giants, OVK stands in a class by himself'.

Kmrasika:

Sorry, I don't have audios of Sarasijabhava jaye with me. But IFCM has released a few audio CDs with some of his songs including Songs of the 9 nights that contain navavaranams in Nadanamakriya, Balahamsa and Madhyamavati. Rajalakshmi Audio has recently launched a CD exclusively with his Saptaratans. To order these you can email carnaticworld@yahoo.com

Bhargavi

ifcm_rfi

Post by ifcm_rfi »

Here is another excellent composition. It is fairly well known but the word flow is remarkable. The pallavi and anupallavi are in tisra gati. The charanam is mostly in chaturashram but goes to tisram in the last line.

- Bhargavi

svAgatam krSNA. rAgA: mOhana. Adi tALA.

P: svAgatam krSNA sharaNagatam krSNA
mathurApuri sadanA mrdu kathanA madhusUdanA iha

A: bhOgadApta sulabhA supuSpa gandha kaLabA kas-
tUri tilaka mahipA mamakAnta nandagOpa kanda

C: muSTikAshUra cANUra malla malla vishArada kuvalayApITha
mardana kALinga nartana gOkula rakSaNa sakala sulakSaNa dEva
shiSta jana pAla sankalpa kalpa kalpa shatakOTi asama parAbhava
dhIra munijana vihAra madana sukumAra daitya samhAradEva
madhura madhura rati sAhasa sAhasa vrajayuvatI jana mAnasa pUjita

Jati: sa dha pA ga ri pa ga ri sa dha sA dhit takajhaNu tAm takajhaNu tAm tattit takajhaNu tAm (tisragati)
takatari kuku taNa kiTataka dhIm takatari kuku taNa kiTataka dhIm takatari timu taNa kiTataka

Meaning:

P: Oh Lord Krishna ! I do invite You unto this mundane world, once again, surrendering myself unto You totally. You are soft and tender faced, sweet-speaking, resident of Mathura, have vanquished demons like ‘Madhu,’.

A.P: You bestow pleasures and comforts (bhoga da), are accessible to your friends, smell of sweet flowers have kasturi musk on your forehead. Oh Son of Nandagopa, my master! I welcome You.

C: You established your supremacy in boxing and wrestling, destroying experts like Mushtika, Chaanoora and also the elephant Kuvalayapeetha. You subdued Kalinga, by dancing on his head. Protector of cowherds, you are endowed with all noble qualities. You offer refuge to your devotees, are bold, revel in the company of saints, creator of kalpas (a 4-era cycle of over 400 million years) and you have been unequaled through Time. Oh, handsome Lord, you gave much pleasure to the damsels in Brindavan, who worship you. I welcome You.

vasya10

Post by vasya10 »

One another treasure of OVK's is in the Saptaratna-s commercial CD by Ravikiran's Group (Vintage Virtuoso).

Pretty much set in the type of Tyagaraja's pancharatna, some of the kritis are truly wonderful. In one kriti (bhajanAmruta/nAta) he mentions lot of the bhaktas. In another (Alavadennalo/pharas) he mentions all the 63 nayanmars set in a beautiful melody. I would probably classify the Alavadennalo as "100 must things to listen before dying" :-)

In another kriti (not part of saptaratna) padmAvati ramanan (purvikalyANi) he praises jayadEva and his works.

He may have become a reclusive bhakta in later years, but he must have acquired a lot of knowledge by travelling around (just my conjecture).

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Are there any renderings of Oothukadu kritis by MSS available on the Internet? If any of you know of such sites where it is available, please post information. Thanks

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

I do not remember to have ever heard smt MSS sing any OOthukadu krithi. It sounds preposterous but I wish I am proved wrong.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

I am surprised to find that there is no posting in this subject althoughthere are very knowledgeable people in our membershipMay be it confirms my apprehension - though unbelievable- that Smt MSS has not sung any composition of OOthukadu.Why so is a big question. rajagopalan

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Until fairly recently, OVK's compositons were considered 'fit' only for dances. Part of the problem maybe that the compositions were 'sold' to a naTTuvanAr for his use, and he used them for choreographing. So, it is possible that Smt. MSS did not sing them because they were not part of a concert artist's repertoire. HOWEVER, since Smt. MSS routinely sang when Radha (Sri Sadasivam's daughter) and Anandi (Sri Kalki's daughter) danced, it is possible that she may have rendered them. I have heard that halls used to be full when the duo performed, in part because Smt. MSS was the singer. If anyone has recordings of the dance performances of this duo it may be possible to check if she has rendered OVK's compositions.

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

rshankar wrote:Until fairly recently, OVK's compositons were considered 'fit' only for dances. Part of the problem maybe that the compositions were 'sold' to a naTTuvanAr for his use, and he used them for choreographing. So, it is possible that Smt. MSS did not sing them because they were not part of a concert artist's repertoire. HOWEVER, since Smt. MSS routinely sang when Radha (Sri Sadasivam's daughter) and Anandi (Sri Kalki's daughter) danced, it is possible that she may have rendered them. I have heard that halls used to be full when the duo performed, in part because Smt. MSS was the singer. If anyone has recordings of the dance performances of this duo it may be possible to check if she has rendered OVK's compositions.
Gowri Ramnarayan daughter of Anandhi can possibly clarify or Radha visvanathan can clarify

gowri narayanan

Post by gowri narayanan »

here is a kriti of OVK in sahana adi
p:SaraNam yaami Sri santaana raama swaami twaamaham

a.p.:sarasija nayana kodanDapaaNi
dhara vitaraNa guNa janakajaaramaNa
sowbhagya varada nipuNa

ch:bhajamaana satya madhura mrudutara vacana nata sajjana
nijadaasa kumuda nicaya hita caraNa Sruti ramaNa
aja vamSa tilaka saarvabhowma ayodhya nagara sadana
(madhyama kala sahityam)
nija karadhruta kalamba gambhira nitijaa kuca kumkuma sindura
bhuja ankita candana Srungaara sputa bhandhana lambita thuniRa

gitapriya

Post by gitapriya »

gowri: Do you have an audio rendition of this krithi that you can share with us?

gowri narayanan

Post by gowri narayanan »

i am sorry i don't have the audio.i think the nephew and niece of needamangalam bhagavatar used to sing this.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

OVK's song lyrics are available at this site as well:
http://www.geocities.com/vc_sekaran/

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

mADu mEkkum kaNNE rendered by Aruna Sairam. UtukkADu had the penchant to compose in folk tunes and this is one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAvNsc1HcWs
Last edited by kmrasika on 21 Apr 2007, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mADu meikkum kaNNe is NOT OVK's AFAIK..what is your evidence that it is his?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

We had a lengthy discussion on this on the erstwhile sangeetham BB - this is a beautiful song that has been delectably choreographed by Priyadarshini Govind!

meena

Post by meena »

Madu meikkum kanna unakku the composer is 'unknown' - acc. to Lji's Desh songlist on this forum.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

rshankar: Sorry I didn't catch your post earlier. I actually saw the text for the song in a book I wish I had bought at a bookshop in Chennai. If I remember correctly, it attributed some of these kinds of compositions to UtukkADu. Nonethelss, at least now I know the song is apocryphal as being UtukkADu's. Despite this, I'm sure you'd agree watching the video Aruna and her acoompanying musicians had some fun in performing this item.
Last edited by kmrasika on 22 Apr 2007, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

In an audio from another concert where she sang this piece, Aruna Sairam, says that this is a 'traditional' composition...not Oothukkadu's - the tamizh is certainly not up to Sri OVK's caliber...NOT that he did not compose kAvaDi cindu's!

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

humdinger wrote:OVK's Navaavarna Krithis
I happened to listen to these krithis at Sri Kamakshi Temple at kanchipuram and liked them immensely. I was told these are called kAmAkshi navAvarnams. Visit this link for lyrics:
http://sridhar107.tripod.com/

Would like to know if any recordings are available...
Nada Anuboothi
http://home.sprynet.com/~dsivakumar/music/intromus.htm

Music Categories > Carnatic - Vocal > Composers O... > Oothukadu Venkatasubba Iyer
has the following tracks,

Ayiram ayiram by MLV
Madananga Mohana by KJY
Thaye Yasoda by MMI
Thillana (in Surutti) by Vijay Siva
Thillana (in Sindhubhairavi) by TNS
Vaangum Enakku by Vijay Siva
Vanduketpar by TNS

Music Categories > Carnatic - Vocal > Song Title S...
has the track,

Sadananada (mayi chinmayi) by KVN
(Lyrics, Meaning, Translation @ http://sridhar107.tripod.com/#6N)
Last edited by thanjavur on 22 Apr 2007, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ayiram Ayiram - Lji is that OVK's?

I have it as KNDP's composition.
I think part of the problem is that any tamizh composition on kriSNa is attributed to OVK!

meena

Post by meena »

Ayiram ayiram gopiyargal-Charukesi-Adi-OVK

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

You can listen to the one and only Pithukuli Murugadas sing the following OVK compositions,

Adadhu asangadhu - Madhyamavathi - Adi
Alai payudhe - Kanada - Adi
Madhura madhura - Atana - Adi
Paal vadiyum - Nattaikurinji - Adi

at Nada Anuboothi
Music Categories > Devotional - Songs > Composers O... > Oothukadu Venkatasubba Iyer
Last edited by thanjavur on 13 May 2007, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

The Mystic Bard of Oothukkadu by Dr. Sulochana Rajendran
Besides Solkattu Swaras which exude Sahitya perception he was an ace spinner of Gati Bheda sequences. "Vitasamavara Jata" (Vasantha), Nada Murali Gana Vilona" (Hameer Kalyani) the Abhogi Saptaratna are some examples. It is learnt that the kriti in Vasanta which courses through the lilting Tisra Khanda, Chatusra Gatis, is sung at the commencement of Gokulashtami festival at the Nartana Krishna Temple in Oothukkadu.
Has anyone heard this kriti being sung ? Is it available in any commercial recording ?
Last edited by thanjavur on 18 May 2007, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Dear Lakshman :
Please post a list of OVK compositions.

Thanks

dancingmaiden

Post by dancingmaiden »

I wonder if there are any contemporary (in the past 200 years) composers who can claim - like OVK did - that they learnt music directly through a spiritual revelation.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

I remember reading one of the interviews with BMK that he was self-taught in singing as well as composing.