Mutthuswamy Dikshithar (Krithis)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
rajeevsid

Post by rajeevsid » 09 Jul 2005, 09:57

Hi,
I was interested in vocal recordings of any artist singing MD's songs in detail.. Some rare ones will be deeply appriciated..
I have heard of people having a Sounderarajam in brindabani sung by DKP.. any other raja is also more than welcome..
Can some one help..
Thanks
0 x

chithra

Post by chithra » 09 Jul 2005, 11:33

Rajeev:

Until a few months back a site called guguha.org had a bunch of MD's compositions sung by a host of musicians. Their last upload was Ardhanareeswaram, in Kumudakriya, by SSI, nearly a year (or, more) back. Now the site seems to have lost its audio links altogether. I will see if I can contact one of the folks who used to maintain that site for an update.

B. Rajam Iyer is supposed to be a repository for MD's compositions. SRJ certainly is an authority on them, and he renders the unmodified versions (Ananda Bhairavi with Suddha Dhaivatham in Kamalambha Samrakshathu), Sri Sundararajam, in Ramakriya etc. Another is Kalpagam Swaminathan - perhaps, Davalangi, Ashwin, Sri Kulkarni will help us out......

Chithra
0 x

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin » 11 Jul 2005, 23:51

I just thought you'd all like to see this photo of Kalpagam Mami taken at her home in Chennai in May. SRJ Mama decided that we would go and meet this great lady, from whom he had learned so many Dikshitar kritis five decades earlier. We all took her blessings, after which SRJ Mama and Kalpagam Mami engaged in a discussion on the controversial lakShaNAs of various ragas such as gauLipantu - we were then fortunate enough to witness her unparalleled renditions of SrI mAtah (bEgaDA), sadASrayE (cAmaram), and hastivadanAya (navarOj) on the vINA. The photo can be found at the following link:

http://individual.utoronto.ca/iyer/KalpagamMami.jpg
0 x

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni » 15 Jul 2005, 20:12

rajeev,
chitra.

hope this meets the "rare' criteria
http://rapidshare.de/files/3078664/Raja ... i.mp3.html

sorry for the typo -in the track name.noticed it after upload.please read it as ariakudi
0 x

cmlover

Post by cmlover » 15 Jul 2005, 20:45

Ashwin

Could you summarize what the controversy was about? Thanks
0 x

cmlover

Post by cmlover » 15 Jul 2005, 21:02

pristine Ariakkudi!
and a mini tani by PMI as the added treat!
Where is incon :D

I agree this is a rare (as well as controversial) MD. I don't know why?
0 x

kannan

Post by kannan » 15 Jul 2005, 21:23

Perhaps some prAsa rules are violated? Dr Shrikanth could probably enlighten us. I recall a TNS version of this song. Was it put up here at the Forum?
0 x

divakar

Post by divakar » 15 Jul 2005, 21:26

kulkarniji, thank you for Ariyakudi-Mohana piece.
ARI-TNK-PMI is a super combination. Mohana in ARI concert is itself rare, i think. nanu pAliMpa is the only piece in mohana i heard of ARI.
full-flow PMI can be seen especially in ARI concerts.
as cmlover said, 'mini tani' by mani is a bonus.
0 x

cmlover

Post by cmlover » 15 Jul 2005, 22:15

No! I am hearing it first!
Perhaps it was discussed at Sangitam under controversial MD kritis.

Meena! HelP!!

Mohanam belonged to MVI which he bequeathed to his son. ARI's quick aalaapanai and the smooth swara prasthaaram shows he is the master of short kritis. He is the inventor of the 3-minute kiirtanai :D We must also compliment TNK for the lovely short aalapana.
0 x

kannan

Post by kannan » 15 Jul 2005, 22:39

Sri CML,

While searching for the TNS version (he had some exceptionally imaginative swaras at "pArijAta-tarumUlam"), I found this exquisite piece by Smt Kalpagam Swaminathan : aaryaam abhayaambaam.
http://rapidshare.de/files/3082251/aaryaam_ks.mp3.html

Ashvin, if you see this please let me know in case you think it is not appropriate to put this up.

It does not look like a commerical recording (it looks like it is a home recording) . I also did a search on the web to make sure .Don't know who gave it to me. This is the way Dikshitar Kritis should be sung! No wonder Sri SRJ holds her in such high regard.
My day is made :D
0 x

cmlover

Post by cmlover » 15 Jul 2005, 23:02

Super Kannan;

it is indeed a defining moment. The VINA and the viLamba kaalaM and bhairavi does make us feel this is how MD himself would have sung. This paddhati is worth preserving.

What a gamakam! So appropriate for bhairavi!!

Ashwin

Could you share with us more of KS home recordings?
0 x

abadri

Post by abadri » 15 Jul 2005, 23:25

Mohanam belonged to MVI which he bequeathed to his son.
What about mentioning MMI in the same breath? Isn't MVI himself supposed to have named him mOhana maNi?! :D
0 x

davalangi

Post by davalangi » 16 Jul 2005, 00:14

Kannan - You made my day by making the remark "This is how MD krithis should be sung/played!". I wish more musicians (both past and present) would realize that!!!

Uploads of Kalpagam mami's fantastic (small word!) will follow shortly.
0 x

davalangi

Post by davalangi » 16 Jul 2005, 00:17

Sorry...The last sentence should read..."Uploads of Kalpagam mami's fantastic MD krithi renditions will follow shortly".
0 x

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth » 16 Jul 2005, 02:07

P: rAjagOpAlam bhajEham ramAlIlam

A: tEjOmaya mOhanakaram divyAmbarAdi dharam gajarAja pUjita padam guNijana nata gOvindam

C: nAradAdi kRta bhajanam nAdalaya yuta sadanam haridrA nadI tIram hatyAdi pApaharam pArijAta tarumUlam paHNkhajanayana vishAlam guruguha hita vanamAlam gOpIjana mAlOlam

kannan
This kRti lacks the classical stamp of dIkShitar.
You are right about the prAsa.The song holds alright in pallavi and, to a degree, the first half of the anupallavi. When we come to the madhyamakAla sAhitya, the structure starts crumbling; the prAsa is lost. gaja is not rhyming with tEja or rAja.This is however not insurmountable as it can be achieved by shifting gaja to the previous tALa. There is sufficient place for this manoeuvre. Bu even after doing that, the yati is not achieved (vaDi, mOnai) as guNi is not fitting with gaja or rAja either.
In caraNa, haridrA is no prAsa for nArada. Yati is Ok for the 2 different halves but it doesnt quite work that way in musical prosody. Again in madhyamakAla sAhitya, pSrijAta rhymes with nArada but is again lost in guruguha. The yati is fine as pankaja is yati for pArijAta. Also gOpi is ok for guru.
Overall thespread/distribution of words is rather haphazard with toomany in some places and too few in others. This mars the beauty/padaSayye of the kRti and is very uncharacteristic of dIkShitar`s sAhitya. But the use of "mUlam", "viSAlam", "lOlam", "mAlam" is very much like dIkShitar.
Also, the music does not seem to have the stamp of dIkShitar.This is difficult to explain but can be felt. It may be partly due to the fact that this kRti is set in madhyamakAla and does not give too much scope for the sweeping and swaying gamakas that one meets ever so often in MD kRtis.
This kRti seems a poor candidate for an MD kRti and makes it less likely to be so. But one cannot be categorical in such cases. There are some kRtis which are accepted as MD`s and some are also given in te SSP that seem to have flaws similar to the kRti discussed here.(I know Im stirring a hornets`s nest by saying this but that is my observation).
PPN does not mention this kRti as controversial but mentions this about "gOpikAmanOharam bhajEham" on carnatica. That kRti has similar flaws(but less in comparison). Heres the link-

http://carnatica.net/special/raganubhav ... am-ppn.htm

Also please see my post on sangeetham regarding rules of prosody in musical compositions. Heres the link

http://sangeetham.com/bboard/quest.php3 ... 5&qid=5292[/b]
0 x

kannan

Post by kannan » 16 Jul 2005, 02:10

A big thanks in advance dhavalangi! I am really looking forward to it. A bulb was lit somewhere in my head after hearing just the first line that mami sang/played :D.

Hope you ,Ashvin and others who have heard such divine renditions correct the mistakes of the past/present.
0 x

kannan

Post by kannan » 16 Jul 2005, 02:23

Dr Srikanth,

Thank you for taking the effort to write such a detailed and scholarly response. It made things very clear. Each time you write I seem to learn a month's worth in a few minutes :D

Unfortunately, the sangeetham link seems to be down so I will have to wait before I can read that. When you get the time please do write about what other Dikshitar kritis you think might have some problems.

Thanks again,
Kannan
0 x

davalangi

Post by davalangi » 16 Jul 2005, 04:43

Kannan
Here is mAmi playing the kalyAni masterpiece! THIS is what a "dIkshitar Composition" SHOULD sound like :) You would agree with me on that, I am sure! This was recorded in 1994 at her home in Indira Nagar by her biggest fan :) Longtime Sangeetham.com and RMIC readers would know who that is.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3090130/abhayAmba.mp3.html
0 x

kannan

Post by kannan » 16 Jul 2005, 06:12

Thanks davalangi! I completely agree :D

I completely fail to understand how/why mami is not better known. Populism is clearly the bane of CM.

I have never heard vINa like this before, leave alone her perfect handling of MD kritis. It is not just the perfection of gamkas, even her tone is unbelievably pure.

To be honest, before today, I had never really understood why the vINa was placed above the violin in demonstrating nuanced gamakas and thought it was due to historical reasons. I am begining to see now :D God willing, I am planning to learn vINa in my life.

Like CML sir says, this is almost certainly how MD must have sung/played these songs. As Sri Tyagaraja said "endarO mahAnubhAvulu andarikki vandanamulu"
0 x

arunk

Post by arunk » 16 Jul 2005, 06:55

Pardon for naive questions.

Dr.Shrikkanth,

Greetings! If haridra does not satisfy (dvi-akshara prAsa?) with nArada, then e.g. in ADa mODi of tyAgarAja (first krithi listed on Sangeetham.com so an arbitray example) wouldnt ADa and tODu not satify too? How about Emi jEsitEnEmu vs kAma moHa? Or are the rules there diffferent for telugu vs sanskrit? Or does MD just always follows them lot stricter compared to Tyagaraja?

I thought the second "consonant" match is sufficient for prAsa not necessarily the vowel associated with it (although a its obvious that it makes things rhyme better). I must be missing something obvious or looking things too naively - i sure dont know much about it (:-).

Pl. clarify. Thanks
Arun
0 x

davalangi

Post by davalangi » 16 Jul 2005, 07:06

CML sir - The controversy was probably about the use/non-use of pratimadhyamam in gauLipantu. Kalpagam mAmi plays krShNAnanda with suddhamadhyamam whereas SRJ introduces the pratimadhyamam as the anya swaram. He contests that gauLipantu "needs" the anya swaram for its survival ;) Here are the renditions of dIkshitar's krShNAnanda by both of them:

http://rapidshare.de/files/3092339/gauLipantu.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/3092389/SRJ- ... u.mp3.html
0 x

kannan

Post by kannan » 16 Jul 2005, 07:12

davalangi, I had also heard that there was a version of gauLipantu with an 'intermediate' madhyama (maybe like Begada nishAda). Do either of Sri SRJ or mami support this?

Thanks,
Kannan
0 x

kannan

Post by kannan » 16 Jul 2005, 07:16

Also, I seem to notice that , in this clip, Sri SRJ consistently uses something close to shuddha madhyama in phrases which have "p_dm" but uses prati madhyama in phrases which go "rm_p" . (for one example : at around 4:29)

Am I right or is it just my ear?

Thanks,
Kannan
0 x

kannan

Post by kannan » 16 Jul 2005, 07:19

Oops..Sorry davalangi, I just understood what you meant. I like the consistent shuddha-madhyama version better :D
0 x

davalangi

Post by davalangi » 16 Jul 2005, 07:30

Here is Kalpagam mAmi playing MD's saundararAjam AShrayE. I will let the audio speak for itself :)

http://rapidshare.de/files/3092622/soun ... m.mp3.html
0 x