Ariven Aiyya

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
nrityam

Ariven Aiyya

Post by nrityam »

I need help with lyrics/name of composer and meaning of the padam Ariven aiyya. Thanks in advance.

Lakshman

Re: Ariven Aiyya

Post by Lakshman »

arivEnayyA un antarangam. rAgA: aThANA. rUpaka tALA. Ghanam Krishna Iyer.

P: arivEnayya un antarangam ellAm vegu nanrAi
A: piriyAmal ennuDanE kUDi pEdaiyAm appeNNai nADi
veri koNDavan pOlE angoDi vINukkingu vandIrO tEdi
C: Ashai pAsham ellam angE ANai iDuvadellAm ingE
pUjai sheivadellam angE purattu peccugaL ingE
vEsiyai nI pugazhvadangE vImbuDan ennai vaivadingE
kasai iraippadellAm angE kaNakkeduvadellAm ingE

nrityam

Post by nrityam »

Thank you so much!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I’ll post the meaning in a day

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here you go. I have made some edits to the words based on my recollection of hearing this padam.
This is a composition where the protagonist is a (subdued) khaNDita nAyika, a married woman, who is taking her husband to task for his infidelity with the 'other woman' whom she calls a courtesan (vEsi); 'angE' represents the courtesan's house, and 'ingE' refers to her house.

pallavi
aRivEnayya un antarangam ellAm vegu nanRAi

My Lord (ayyA), I am extremely (vegu) well (nanRAi) aware (aRivEn) of all (ellAm) of your (un) secrets/deceits (antarangam)!

anupallavi
piriyAmal ennuDanE kUDi pEdaiyAm appeNNai nADi
veRi koNDavan pOlE angoDi vINukkingu vandIrO tEDi

Having united (kUDi) [1] with me (ennuDanE), with promises of never forsaking (piriyAmal) [2] (me), (you) sought out (nADi) that simple-minded (pEdaiyAm) girl (appeNNai), and went running (ODi) (to her) there (angu) like (pOlE) someone who was possessed (veRi koNDavan) [3]. So, (after all that) have you come (vandIrO) here (ingu) just for fun (vINukku), searching (tEDi) (for something)?

caraNam
Asai pAsam ellam angE ANai iDuvadellAm ingE
pUjai seivadellam angE muraTTu peccugaL ingE
vEsiyai nI pugazhvadangE vImbuDan ennai vaivadingE
kAsai iRaippadellAm angE kaNakkiDuvadellAm ingE

(Your) love (Asai) and attachment (pAsam) are (exhibited) there (angE), but (your) commands (ANai) are all (ellAm) issued (iDuvadellAm) here (ingE). All (ellAm) your homages/worship (pUjai/pUsai) [4] are offered (seivadu) there (angE), but (you reserve) harsh (muraTTu) words (pEccugaL) for here (ingE). You (nI) praise (pugazhvadu) courtesans (vEsiyai) there (angE), but here (ingE) you scold (vaivadu) me (ennai) with false pride (vImbuDan). (You exhibit all your generosity) by scattering (iRaippadu) all (ellAm) your wealth (kAsai) there (angE), but here (ingE), (your miserliness comes to fore) with all that penny pinching (kaNakkiDuvadellAm) [5]!

FOOTNOTES
[1] kUDi can also be interpreted as ‘getting married’
[2] piriyAmal is literally, without separating
[3] veRi is a sort of savage excitement
[4] pUsai maintains the edugai (dvitIyAkshara prAsam) – just like naTana rAsan in teruvil vArAnO
[5] kaNakkiDuvadu literally means counting