Manasa Sancharare - Sama

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Nia Rmohan

Post by Nia Rmohan »

There are many versions of this song, but I'm referring to the one by Sadashiva.
I have the lyrics:

Maanasa Sancharare Brahmani Maanasa Sancharare

Charanam 1:

Madashikhi Pincchaalankruta Chikure Mahaneeya Kapola Vijitamukure

Charanam 2:

Shree Ramani Kucha Durga Vihaare Sevaka Jana Mandira Mandaare

Charanam 3:

Paramahamsa Mukha Chandrachakore Paripoorita Muraliravadhare

I also have a crude idea of the meaning:
Oh, Mind ("maanasa") ! Undertake your pilgrimage ("sancharare") in the Brahmam !

May the hairlock of Brahma ("madashiki"), meditated upon by you, be adorned ("alankrutha") with the plumes of an exhilarated peacock ("chikure") !

The cheeks ("mukure") of the Supreme One ("mahaneeya") outwit ("vijita") the brightness of a mirror ("kapola") !

He sports ("vihare") around with ("durga") Mahalakshmi ("sriramani")! For his devotees ("sevaka"), He is a Kalpavriksha ("mandaare") in the court yard ("mandira")! Supreme ("parama") ascetics ("hamsa") delight in that face-moon ("mukha-chandra") as a partridge bird ("chakore")!

Oh, Mind! May your pilgrimage be in this Brahma that fills ("paripooritha") the whole Universe with the flow of the music from His flute ("muraliravadhare") !

Can anyone provide a more detailed explanation though? I don't quite understand the song yet. Especially the first charanam. If anyone can explain the background of the song and a deeper meaning, it would be appreciated. It seems like such a magical song.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Nia Rmohan

Post by Nia Rmohan »

Hi vk ramanji,
i wanted a more detail explanation than what the site offered. some of the meanings for some words are missing too.

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Nia Rmohan wrote:According to Shiva thandava stotra, Shiva's moon is compared to chakore the bird.
The mythical bird cakora is believed to live on moonlight and eat nothing else. So "candra-cakora" is often a metaphor for attraction, sustenance and an inseperable relationship, most applicable to god and devotee.

The word "cakora-bandhu" (friend of cakora) is a synonym of the moon, and hence "cakora-bandhu-shekharah" found in Ravana's Shiva-tandava-stotram means the same as "candra-shekharah".

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Enna_solven - thanks for the explanation provided - so beautiful that nAn enna solven!

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Thanks Rajani. I can't take credit for the translation of the song; I just verified it and added the explanatory notes.

Nia Rmohan

Post by Nia Rmohan »

Thanks to Rajani and Enna_Solven

i understand alot better now....specially since I've discovered this to be sanskrit.
i honestly thought it was telugu...

Thank you once again!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nia,

If you are looking to choreograph, here is a word-to-word meaning with a small correction in the AP as posted by Enna_Solven:

mAnasa - Oh mind
sancararE - (please) travel, move towards
brahmaNi - the supreme being

mada = proud
Sikhi = peacock
pincA = feather
alaMkRta = adorned, decorated with
cikurE = curly locks

madanIya = intoxicating
kapOla = cheeks
vijita = defeat, win over
mukurE = a mirror

SrI ramaNi = the beautiful (ramaNi) lakshmi (SrI)
kuca = bossom
durga = fortress, citadel, secure place
vihArE = sport around
sEvaka = servant/severs/devotees
jana = people
mandira = in the temple (of their hearts)
mandArE = (flourish like) the wish-granting mandAra tree
paramahaMsa = an ascetic, an individual who has subdued his senses - ALSO the composer Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra's mudra
mukha = face
candra = moon
cakOrE = the cakOra bird
paripUrita = (they - the ascetics, by gazing at krishNa's face like the cakOra, giving up water and food, find their desires) fulfilled
muraLI = flute
rava = song
adharE = (that issues forth from his) lips

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

In the first line it is
sancara = (please) travel +re = hey (vocative) addressing the mind!
brahmaNi = in the supreme being
All the other words ending in 're' are locative indicating that the mind should dwell in those excellent objects...
In other words all those beautiful objects are the manifestations of the supreme brahman itself (brahman is gender-free in sanskrit!)

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

rshankar wrote:If you are looking to choreograph, here is a word-to-word meaning with a small correction in the AP as posted by Enna_Solven:
Ravi, I have corrected my post. thanks.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML - thanks for the clarification. I thought you had explained it earlier, but I can't find that posting.

Enna_Solven - in the AP, it is mukurE, not mukhurE - the former means a mirror. Not sure if mukhura is a word.

Nia Rmohan

Post by Nia Rmohan »

rshankar wrote:Nia,

If you are looking to choreograph, here is a word-to-word meaning with a small correction in the AP as posted by Enna_Solven:
Shankar sir, it was very nice of you to provide the word for word meanings. Apparently, this is one of those songs that are sung better than they can be danced.
However i find myself dancing to it all the time, even when i don't understand the meaning.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

rshankar wrote:CML - thanks for the clarification. I thought you had explained it earlier, but I can't find that posting.

Enna_Solven - in the AP, it is mukurE, not mukhurE - the former means a mirror. Not sure if mukhura is a word.

mukura is correct. Although it does mean mirror, its alternate meanings of flower/bud may be more appropriate when compared to the cheeks (Kapola)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I think the reference is that krishNa's cheeks glow with such healthy luster, they put a mirror to shame.

rr2000

Re: Manasa Sancharare - Sama

Post by rr2000 »

I have attempted a simplified tamil translation of the kriti, as a lyrical video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wHyXTrp77M

Like your comments, thanks!