Lyrics of S.Bharati's KUyilE Unakkanantha kOti namaskAram'

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
kedharam

Lyrics of S.Bharati's KUyilE Unakkanantha kOti namaskAram'

Post by kedharam »

Lyrics of 'KUyilE Unakkanantha kOti namaskAram kumaran vara koovUvAi' by Shuddhananda Bharathi please.

Lakshman

Re: Lyrics of S.Bharati's KUyilE Unakkanantha kOti namaskAram'

Post by Lakshman »

kuyilE unakk-ananta kOTi namaskAram kumaran varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi

malai nangkani shOlaiyilE maruvE ennaiyE pirinda
kumaran varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi (kuyilE)

varuvAr varuvAr enrE vazhi pArttEn vizhi shOrndEn mAran kaNaigAl allAl vIram varak-kANEnE
kumaran varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi (kuyilE)

taruvAi malar pei enrE tavittEngi vADugirEnE taruNam marandE vand-en tApam tanai tIrppArO
kuyilE varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi (kuyilE)

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

Thanks, Lakshmanji

shygan

Post by shygan »

Namaskaram.

If the meaning of the lyrics could be provided that will be great.

Thank yoU!
Shyla

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

There are two versions of this 'padam' - which one do you want translated???

This is the version presented by Smt. Sudha Raghunathan in the album 'tUdu sellAyO' - where it is identified as a composition of Sri Suddhananda Bharati:

pallavi
kuyilE unakk-ananta kOTi namaskAram kumaran varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi

anupallavi
mayilgaL ulAvum malai mAngani SOlaiyil maruvI ennai pirinda murugan arugil vaLar* (kuyilE...)

caraNam 1
azhagan amudan yen Aviyai uNDa kaLvan andi mayakkatil yen pundiyai mayakkinAn
vazhikATTa vandavan vizhikATTi kai paTRi vAri aNaiTTennai pEr solli maraindanan (kuyilE...)

caraNam 2
varuvAr varuvAr enRE vazhi pArttu kaN pUttEn** mAran kaNaigal allAl SOran varak-kANilEn
taruvAr malar kai enRE dayavedir nOkkinEn shanmug(kh)asAmi vandu ponmug(kh)am kATTArO (kuyilE...)

*: Some versions have this as vara
**: Some versions have this as SorndEn

The (slightly different) version given by Lakshmanji is from a 1953 movie, sung by Smt. MLV. The lyricist is identified as Kanaka Surabhi (confirmed by his daughter) - it's either a very sincere form of flattery (imitation, I mean) or some sort of plagiarism perhaps????

pallavi

anupallavi
malai mAngani SOlaiyilE maruvI ennaiyE pirinda kumaran varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi (kuyilE...)

caraNam 1
varuvAr varuvAr enRE vazhi pArttE vizhi shOrndEn mAran kaNaigal allAl vIran varak-kANEnE
kumaran varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi (kuyilE...)

caraNam 2
taruvAr malar kai enRE tavittEngi vADurEnE taruNam arindE vand-en tApam tanai tIrppArO
kuyilE varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi (kuyilE...)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

While you make up your mind, here is my attempt at translating the 'original' version. Since Sri Suddhananda Bharati's compositions have some deep philosophical meaning, I feel like I am missing something. Hopefully, Rajani, Arasi, PB (PonBhariavi as well as Pratyaksham Bala) will come to the rescue.

pallavi

Oh cuckoo (kuyilE), countless (ananta kOTi - endless crores) reverential bows (namaskAram) to you, if you (nI) will coo (kUvuvAi) to herald the arrival (vara) of muruga (kumaran)!

anupallavi
mayilgaL ulAvum malai mAngani SOlaiyil maruvI ennai pirinda murugan arugil vaLar (kuyilE...)

(Oh cuckoo) that dwells (vaLar) near (arugil) that muruga (murugan) who parted (pirinda) after embracing (maruvi) me (ennai) in a mountain (malai) mangrove (mAngani sOlaiyil) where peacocks (mayilgaL) prance about (ulAvum), (countless reverential bows to you, if you coo to herald the arrival of muruga)!

caraNam 1
azhagan amudan yen Aviyai uNDa kaLvan andi mayakkatil yen pundiyai mayakkinAn
vazhikATTa vandavan vizhikATTi kai paTRi vAri aNaittennai pEr solli maRaindanan (kuyilE...)

The handsome one (azhagan) who is as sweet as ambrosial nectar (amudan), the thief (kaLvan) who nourished (uNDa) my (en) spirit (Aviyai) has unsettled (mayakkinAn) my (yen) mind (pundiyai) when I was intoxicated (mayakkatil) by the dusk (andi). The one who came (vandavan) to show (kATTa) me the path (vazhi) ended up making eyes at me (vizhi kATTi) and holding (paTRi) my hand (kai), he gathered (me up) (vAri) and embraced (aNaittu) me (yennai), and, calling out (solli) my name (pEr), he disappeared (maRaindanan). (Oh cuckoo, countless bows to you, if you coo to herald the arrival of muruga)!

caraNam 2
varuvAr varuvAr enRE vazhi pArttu kaN pUttEn mAran kaNaigal allAl SOran varak-kANilEn
taruvAr malar kai enRE dayavedir nOkkinEn shanmug(kh)asAmi vandu ponmug(kh)am kATTArO (kuyilE...)

My vision (kaN) has become blurred (pUttEn) from gazing (parttu) (endlessly) at the path (vazhi), expecting him to come (varuvAr, varuvAr enRE). However, except for (allAl) manmatha's (mAran) flowery arrows (kaNigaL), no one has showed up - I did not see (kANilEn) the brave one (SUran) [1] come (vara). I expected/anticipated (nOkkinEn) that (he) would offer (taruvAr enRE) his flower (malar)-like hand (kai) out of compassion (dayavu) in return (edir) (for my devotion)....won't the six-faced lord (shaNmugasAmi) come (vandu) and show (kATTArO) his golden/beautiful face (ponmugam)??? (Oh cuckoo, countless bows to you, if you coo to herald the arrival of muruga).

[1] Although the word is enunciated as sOran (which I think means thief), I think it is sUran (the brave one)

shygan

Post by shygan »

Thank you Shankar. I was looking for the meaning of the MLV version. So the MLV version lyricists and the sudha RaghuNathan version lyricists are different?

shygan

Post by shygan »

The lyrics for all the songs in the movie are by Kanagasurabi. I a thinking this song was actually taken from sudhanandha bharathi?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here the MLV's version from the movie - it looks like Surabhi changed the words a bit.

pallavi

Oh cuckoo (kuyilE), countless (ananta kOTi - endless crores) reverential bows (namaskAram) to you (unakku), if you (nI) will coo (kUvuvAi) to herald the arrival (vara) of muruga (kumaran)!

anupallavi
malai mAngani SOlaiyilE maruvI ennaiyE pirinda kumaran varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi (kuyilE...)

(Oh cuckoo countless reverential bows to you, if you coo to herald the arrival of) muruga (murugan) who parted (pirinda) after embracing (maruvi) me (ennai) in a mountain (malai) mangrove (mAngani sOlaiyil), (!

caraNam 1
varuvAr varuvAr enRE vazhi pArttE vizhi shOrndEn mAran kaNaigal allAl vIran varak-kANEnE
kumaran varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi (kuyilE...)

My eyes (kaN) have become weary/droopy (sOrdEn) from gazing (parttE) (endlessly) at the path (vazhi), expecting him to come (varuvAr, varuvAr enRE). However, except for (allAl) manmatha's (mAran) flowery arrows (kaNigaL), no one has showed up - I did not see (kANilEn) the brave one (SUran) [1] come (vara). (Oh cuckoo countless reverential bows to you, if you coo to herald the arrival of muruga)!

caraNam 2
taruvAr malar kai enRE tavittEngi vADurEnE taruNam arindE vand-en tApam tanai tIrppArO
kuyilE varak-kUvuvAi nI kumaran varak-kUvuvAi (kuyilE...)

I expected/anticipated (nOkkinEn) that (he) would offer (taruvAr enRE) his flower (malar)-like hand (kai) out of compassion (dayavu) in return (edir) (for my devotion)....won't the six-faced lord (shaNmugasAmi) come (vandu) and show (kATTArO) his golden/beautiful face (ponmugam)??? (Oh cuckoo, countless bows to you, if you coo to herald the arrival of muruga)!

[1] Although the word is enunciated as sOran (which I think means thief), I think it is sUran (the brave one)