Lyrics for kalai nirai ganapathy - vallalar

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
smala

Lyrics for kalai nirai ganapathy - vallalar

Post by smala »

sung by MSS.

Enna_Solven

Re: Lyrics for kalai nirai ganapathy - vallalar

Post by Enna_Solven »

#2563. kalainiRai gaNapati saraNa~n saraNam
gajamukha guNapati saraNa~n saraNam
talaivanin iNaiyaDi saraNa~n saraNam
saravaNa bhavaguha saraNa~n saraNam
silaimalai yuDaiyava saraNa~n saraNam
sivasiva sivasiva saraNa~n saraNam
ulaivaRum oruparai saraNa~n saraNam
umaisivai ambikai saraNa~n saraNam

smala

Post by smala »

Thanks, Enna Solven.

mchalla001

Post by mchalla001 »

Could you pl post the meaning as well ?
Thanks,
-madhusudan

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

First a slight rewrite of the song.

kalai niRai gaNapati saraNam saraNam
gaja mukha guNapati saraNam saraNam

thalaiva nin iNaiyaDi saraNam saraNam
saravaNa bhava guha saraNam saraNam

silai malai yuDaiyava saraNam saraNam
siva siva siva siva saraNam saraNam
ulai vaRum oru parai saraNam saraNam
umai sivai ambikai saraNam saraNam

Now for the meaning:
Pallavi: Oh, luminous (and powerful) GaNEsha, I surrender unto you. Oh, elephant-faced virtuous one, I surrender unto you. (kalai means either luminosity or power)
Anupallavi: Oh Lord I surrender unto your pair of feet (iNaiyaDi). Oh, SaravaNa bhava guha, I surrender.
CaraNam: Oh, Lord Shiva, who dwells on the mountain *** ( silai malai refers to the HimAlayas/KailAsa malai), I surrender unto you.
Oh, goddess PArvathi (parai refers to Her and paran refers to Shiva), (umai, shivai, ambikai are other names for the goddess), who removes my mental agitation (ulai means mental agitation and vaRum means to remove) I surrender unto you.

The song itself is a stanza of 8 lines. The musicians separate the lines into pallavi, anupallavi, and caraNam.
*** Who knows where He lives? Those who went there did not come back to tell us but those who tell us about that place had never been there themselves. There lies the paradox! Gopalakrishna Bharathi (the composer) described it as "kaNDArum kiDaiyAdu viNDArum sonnadillai" ( refer to the "ayyE mettak kaDinam" song---those who saw do not exist and those who discerned did not tell us).

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

mchalla001 wrote:Could you pl post the meaning as well ?
Thanks,
-madhusudan
You requested the meaning on 27th July. I posted it on 30th July. Today is August 11. Go figure it. If you ask for something and somebody takes the trouble to do it for you, should you be courteous enough to look at it? Do you think some of us who oblige with such effort are looking for work only to be ignored afterwards? Come on, get some life! I even reminded you in a private email a week ago that I posted the meaning. Perhaps you ignored that reminder as well. In tennis parlance it is called a double fault. What a shame!

Ravi009

Re: notations for kalai nirai ganapathy - vallalar

Post by Ravi009 »

Sir plz send me notations for kalainirai ganapathy